ORAS NU Holly Offense [#1]

Sweet Jesus

Neal and Jack and me, absent lovers...
Poooops! I started playing a little more lately, I wouldn't say I'm «back» as I'll never reach the level of consistent activity I had more than a year ago but I'm having fun, so hey I play!

For those who don't know me, I used to play a lot and bring all sorts of cool sets to NU. I sort of quit before XY came out. I started playing more since ORAS and built this team which unlike my usual blanaced teams, is more inclined towards hyper offense (but still has some cool sets!) It was built around an initial mixed core of AV lanturn and eviolite scyther along with a dual normal spam core of ursaring and linoone. The team is number 1 at the time I'm writing this and is named holly offense cause I'm jesus and I'm going offense (if you didn't get it).

Poooops! On with the team​

Sawk (M) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Ice Punch

This pro is probably the best lead this meta has to offer. Start the game and threaten shit with your powerful attacks that ohko practically everything that outspeeds you. Whatever your opponent does turn 1, you're still alive and status healthy at the end of the turn which means you can often pull off a second powerful attack. Lum berry is also a great way to fake choice (which will often practically win you the game turn 2 or 3 if you manage to fake it) and one of the best ways I can make sure to bring vivillion to a level where Espeed will kill it (or just break it's sash) as he's probably the biggest threat to this team. Sturdy is also a great way to deal with lead archeops as it's probably the second biggest threat to my team. Ice punch could be replaced by another move as it's mainly for hitting colbur xatu and eggy but I couldn't find anything better. Fun fact about this dude is that it was the last to join the team and I tested a couple of others before him. When I came up with this guy, he practically became the mvp!

Scyther @ Eviolite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Aerial Ace
- U-turn
- Swords Dance
- Roost

On with the mixed core. This is what tanks fighting types who are too busy running knock off to bother bringing a rock move. His typing is a great match with lanturn as he's immune to ground and practically immune to grass. What makes him even better with lanturn however is that together, they have huge coverage and form a volt-turn core that can both take and deal damage! Most of the time scyther ends up u-turning all game, but since flying is similar to normal and I happen to have a normal spam team, it can also take advantage of dead counters to sweep with swords dance and technician aerial ace.

Lanturn @ Assault Vest
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 96 Def / 252 SpA / 160 Spe
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Grass]

That's right, assault vest lanturn, I posted this set without the speed investment in creative movesets and it's become the second half of the core! Considering how weak most special ground and grass moves are, lanturn practically tanks everything on the special side with an assualt vest. Since it already tanks everything on that side, this fish can invest in it's mediocre speed and special attack to abuse it's bad ass coverage. 160 speed gets it right to that sweet 210 speed which outspeeds max without nature 55's, a very common speed tier. The moves are kind of standard except for hp grass which hits seismitoad and is now worth it since lanturn runs max special attack (and can only run attacking moves). All other EVs are put in defence so that lanturn is a little bulky on that side too and can tank flying attacks, klinklang's return and maybe an unstabed earthquake. Lanturn's max sp.a also turned out to be practically mandatory once the team was finished as he's the only special attacker in the team.

Minesweeper (Sandslash) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin

I've heard some people bitch on this guy and I can understand why, but he fits my team perfectly and isn't as bad as some good players might think. I really wanted a defoger or a spinner because I run scyther, sturdy sawk and even linoone appreciates the extra health to use belly drum. I also wanted to set my own rocks and sandslash won over prinplup and claydol. While prinplup was too redudant with lanturn, claydol's weakness to knock off was something that mattered a lot to my team. The fact is, I didn't have enough physical defence capacities even for a HO team. My favourite solution to that problem is rocky helmet and sandslash's cute head wears it perfectly considering non contact move users (rock type and earthquake) already lose to him most of the time. My team has a lot of problems if it loses momentum against physical attacking mosters and sandslash's helmet almost guarantees to get rid of a third of their precious hp. The helmet is also great to win the spinnig game against others since when it comes to a rock setting battle, the opponent can't spin effecitvely if he dies to helmet damage.
Other than it's helmet, Sandslash runs a pretty standard movepool with earthquake and knock off bringing great coverage and hitting spinblockers for big damage. I use max attack because it's an offense team and he needs knock off + 1 helmet contact to get archeops to defeatist range. Unfortunately, it also makes archeops capable of 2hko'ing him. I'll look into changing EV's just for archeops though (play around with defence and attack EV's)

The Punisher (Ursaring) @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Facade
- Earthquake
- Crunch
- Seed Bomb

On to the normal spam core! This is the exact same set from my last gen5 RMT I wrote a good while ago! My new bro Karane reminded me it existed and it's still super good! Like any guts ursaring set, it's main role is to punch big holes in teams and that's exactly what he does! This guy is a great way of getting rid of anything that cockblocks linoone for him to sweep peacefully. The fact I have a volt-turn core makes it super easy for this guy to get his orb activated for free and make me feel badass when he comes in on a wall because he happens to be named The Punisher! This set's particularity is that he's jolly because he already hits hard enough and no one ever expects this thing to outspeed their 210-228 mons. Seed bomb can also wreck seismitoad without guts boost, hit safely people playing around toxic orb with a ghost and a rock and wreck anything that has a helmet without contact that doesn't care too much about EQ. If my opponent has 3 mons slower than ursaring, there's a good chance this bear's simple presence guarantees me the win.

Sneaky Bitch (Linoone) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Pickup
EVs: 164 HP / 252 Atk / 44 Def / 44 SpD / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Seed Bomb
- Iron Tail
- Belly Drum

The one and only, infamous, Sneaky Bitch! Everyone knows how this guy works though I decided to swap shadow claw with iron tail because rotom, haunter and mismagius outpseed me anyway leaving only gourgeist super to hit with it. Iron tail on the other side will hit a couple of other things like Cradily, Granbull, Mawile, Avalugg and a couple of others for greater damage. Linoone is also my only form of priority (though sawk can live a hit and revenge with sturdy) so that's important too. This guys fits great in my team as he has cool allies to punch holes for him and volt-turn him into a weak opponent for him to set up and sweep as he's done so often.

tl;dr
Epic lum berry sturdy lead!
Epic mixed volt turn core!
Epic suicide helmet rock setter/cleaner!
Epic normal spam core Punish/Sweep!
Threats
Vivillion (god I hate this thing)
Archeops (He outspeeds, 2hko's everything, resists espeed and has no item to knock off, I might try playing around with sandslash's set)
Opposing normal/flying spam (I happen to have not much to defend against my own strategy so I need to gain the momentum!)

Trivia
No lefties, No life orb, no choice item, no item used twice! Try getting #1 with that people! (it's a challenge)

pooooops!​

Last edited:
Hey man, sweet team and congrats on your ladder peak. Because you have had the success you have had with this team, I'm gonna be really tentative with what I think should be changed, and what I want to stay.

One thing that I can reccomend is maybe Assault Vest Magmortar > Lanturn. Lanturn is a fantastic pivot, not to mention it grabs the momentum for your team thanks to volt switch but, I feel like magmortar can not only give you similar resistances but also check to certain mons that you are weak to (I'm looking at vivillion and HP Rock Lilligant in particular. On the downside, it does have a pesky rocks weakness and when coupled with scyther's rocks problems, it means that sandslash is gonna feel loads of pressure throughout the match, having to settup hazards, and get rid of them for several mons.

Apart from that "option" I can't really find a way to change the team without changing its main goal and structure. Its really quite amazing how a team with 2 overlooked ( and underrated ) normals in linoone and ursa could not only peak at #1, but constantly win every game. So props on that, we really have a gem here :]

Magmortar @ Assault Vest
Ability: Vital Spirit
EVs: 104 HP / 252 SpA / 152 Spe
Modest / Mild Nature
- Fire Blast
- Psychic / Earthquake
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Grass]

p.s. plz come back, we want people like you :]

Last edited:
hey Sweet Jesus this is a pretty cool team, its nice to see an original team that utilizes some underrated threats like Ursaring and Linoone and still performs well.

From a glance, it looks like your team is really weak to mons that sit at or above the Base 110 Speed Tier as they outspeed +1 Ursaring and you have to rely on linoone to revenge with e-speed. The 3 main mons that sit above that speed tier: Tauros, Archeops and Sneasel can all pretty much 2HKO your entire team as well, depending on the coverage moves. You are also weak to set-up sweepers that can boost speed like Lilligant, and especially weak to the ones that resist ExtremeSpeed such as Barbaracle and Double Dance Rhydon.

The 1st change i'm going to recommend is that you try out SD Samurott > Ursaring. I know that this kind of takes away from the normal spam aspect of the team, but it provides you with a nice way to force out Archeops, a way to revenge DD Rhydon, extra priority, and a separate win condition to take some of the pressure off of linoone to clean late game. Ursa's speed tier is kinda middling in this metagame anyways due to the rise of all the really fast threats I mentioned earlier.

The 2nd change i'm going to recommend is that you try Choice Scarf > Eviolite on Scyther. Scarf Scyther adds some much needed speed to the team and is a great revenge killer in itself. It allows you to revenge stuff like +1 Lilligant and Vivillon with relative ease as well as outspeed faster things like +2 Adamant Barbaracle where you can hit it with Brick Break. Like you say in your RMT, you mostly end up just U-Turning anyways so some extra speed will really go a long way in revenging threats.

The last change is just a set optimization for Sandslash. Ik my buddy hollywood has a nice spread for sandslash that OHKO's the main spinblockers with Knock Off while maintaining more bulk than a normal offensive set. The spread is 180 HP / 108 Atk / 128 Def / 92 Spe with an Adamant Nature.

Again, cool team and congrats on the ladder peak!

edit: Oh and run Zen Headbutt > Earthquake on Sawk because it provides p much the same coverage while still hitting Weezing and Vileplume too!

upload_2015-4-24_18-18-44.png

Samurott @ Lum Berry / Mystic Water | Torrent
120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 Spe | Adamant
Razor Shell | Swords Dance | Aqua Jet | Megahorn

upload_2015-4-24_18-20-26.png

Scyther @ Choice Scarf | Technician
252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe | Jolly
U-Turn | Aerial Ace | Brick Break | Knock Off / Bug Bite / Quick Attack

upload_2015-4-24_18-21-46.png

Sandslash @ Rocky Helmet | Sand Rush
180 HP / 108 Atk / 128 Def / 92 Spe | Adamant
Stealth Rock | Rapid Spin | Earthquake | Knock Off

Last edited:
me offense

i'd probably run 172 atk on the sandslash spread above. guarantees the 2hko on defensive mawile after rocks. ik mawile won't usually stay in on sandslash anyways, but it might for one turn to Baton Pass out of sandslash or something, and because you have SD scyther and BD linoone, both of which are walled by mawile, hurting it is kind of important. (you can use defensive mawile for setup fodder with scyther, but they'll probably knock off your eviolite and go into something that can threaten it)

not sure how i feel about scarf>SD scyther. it is a nice catch-all and lilli does look kind of annoying for the team, but i'm not convinced that slapping on a weak scarfer on an already kind of weak team (outside of ursaring and kind of sd scyther since it can break fatter teams) is the way to go about it. if anything, i'd replace scyther with a different scarfer that can revenge lilligant (rotom-s maybe?) so that you can cut sandslash, which is pretty balls. i'd still kind of want the hazard removal because the team is super spikes weak unless you can like lure in garbodor with sawk, but it's hard to replace sandslash with another hazard remover without drastically changing the team and probably getting rid of the voltturn support.

agree that samurott over ursaring is a p good change at least, but if you do for some reason scrap sandslash and scyther without putting another hazard remover on, i'd probably prefer ursaring if only because it threatens garbodor, which nothing else on your team really does.

the team is really weird, so it's difficult to recommend changes and know they're good ones without actually seeing the team in action. basically do whatever works for you. also av lanturn rules. i used that shit in xy and people dogged on me for it.

Sweet Jesus

Neal and Jack and me, absent lovers...
Hey man, sweet team and congrats on your ladder peak. Because you have had the success you have had with this team, I'm gonna be really tentative with what I think should be changed, and what I want to stay.

One thing that I can reccomend is maybe Assault Vest Magmortar > Lanturn. Lanturn is a fantastic pivot, not to mention it grabs the momentum for your team thanks to volt switch but, I feel like magmortar can not only give you similar resistances but also check to certain mons that you are weak to (I'm looking at vivillion and HP Rock Lilligant in particular. On the downside, it does have a pesky rocks weakness and when coupled with scyther's rocks problems, it means that sandslash is gonna feel loads of pressure throughout the match, having to settup hazards, and get rid of them for several mons.

Apart from that "option" I can't really find a way to change the team without changing its main goal and structure. Its really quite amazing how a team with 2 overlooked ( and underrated ) normals in linoone and ursa could not only peak at #1, but constantly win every game. So props on that, we really have a gem here :]

p.s. plz come back, we want people like you :]
Thanks man! Av magmortar is an interesting option, I always think of it as my usual vivillion counter but for some reason I never thought of putting it on this team. I think the option is interesting but I feel having nohing to resist water and adding a rock weakness would make me feel too unbalanced and matchout dependant, Unless maybe I use samurott over ursaring as suggested in the next posts.

hey Sweet Jesus this is a pretty cool team, its nice to see an original team that utilizes some underrated threats like Ursaring and Linoone and still performs well.

From a glance, it looks like your team is really weak to mons that sit at or above the Base 110 Speed Tier as they outspeed +1 Ursaring and you have to rely on linoone to revenge with e-speed. The 3 main mons that sit above that speed tier: Tauros, Archeops and Sneasel can all pretty much 2HKO your entire team as well, depending on the coverage moves. You are also weak to set-up sweepers that can boost speed like Lilligant, and especially weak to the ones that resist ExtremeSpeed such as Barbaracle and Double Dance Rhydon.

The 1st change i'm going to recommend is that you try out SD Samurott > Ursaring. I know that this kind of takes away from the normal spam aspect of the team, but it provides you with a nice way to force out Archeops, a way to revenge DD Rhydon, extra priority, and a separate win condition to take some of the pressure off of linoone to clean late game. Ursa's speed tier is kinda middling in this metagame anyways due to the rise of all the really fast threats I mentioned earlier.

The 2nd change i'm going to recommend is that you try Choice Scarf > Eviolite on Scyther. Scarf Scyther adds some much needed speed to the team and is a great revenge killer in itself. It allows you to revenge stuff like +1 Lilligant and Vivillon with relative ease as well as outspeed faster things like +2 Adamant Barbaracle where you can hit it with Brick Break. Like you say in your RMT, you mostly end up just U-Turning anyways so some extra speed will really go a long way in revenging threats.

The last change is just a set optimization for Sandslash. Ik my buddy hollywood has a nice spread for sandslash that OHKO's the main spinblockers with Knock Off while maintaining more bulk than a normal offensive set. The spread is 180 HP / 108 Atk / 128 Def / 92 Spe with an Adamant Nature.

Again, cool team and congrats on the ladder peak!

edit: Oh and run Zen Headbutt > Earthquake on Sawk because it provides p much the same coverage while still hitting Weezing and Vileplume too!

View attachment 40872
Samurott @ Lum Berry / Mystic Water | Torrent
120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 Spe | Adamant
Razor Shell | Swords Dance | Aqua Jet | Megahorn

View attachment 40873
Scyther @ Choice Scarf | Technician
252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe | Jolly
U-Turn | Aerial Ace | Brick Break | Knock Off / Bug Bite / Quick Attack

View attachment 40874
Sandslash @ Rocky Helmet | Sand Rush
180 HP / 108 Atk / 128 Def / 92 Spe | Adamant
Stealth Rock | Rapid Spin | Earthquake | Knock Off
Thanks! Scarf scyther is surely not happening, there's nothing I hate more than scarfing weak shit and his current bulk let's me take an attack which is a precious asset to my frail team. SD samurott however is pretty interesting! I like the idea of having a second priority user and his bulk is similar to ursaring's. Of course the immediate power ursaring brings will be missed as he punches holes into the opponents team to prepare a sweep or a last strategic play (where sawk's sturdy and linoone's espeed often come in handy). I'll probably test this with the above magmortar who can cause good damage too, but I might replace linoone instead or ursaring.
For sawk, earthquake's big plus is that it hits garbodor without taking helmet damage which keeps sturdy intact. Ice punch already hits vileplume for practically the same damage too and weezing fears urasring so badly I don't really care for it.

me offense

i'd probably run 172 atk on the sandslash spread above. guarantees the 2hko on defensive mawile after rocks. ik mawile won't usually stay in on sandslash anyways, but it might for one turn to Baton Pass out of sandslash or something, and because you have SD scyther and BD linoone, both of which are walled by mawile, hurting it is kind of important. (you can use defensive mawile for setup fodder with scyther, but they'll probably knock off your eviolite and go into something that can threaten it)

not sure how i feel about scarf>SD scyther. it is a nice catch-all and lilli does look kind of annoying for the team, but i'm not convinced that slapping on a weak scarfer on an already kind of weak team (outside of ursaring and kind of sd scyther since it can break fatter teams) is the way to go about it. if anything, i'd replace scyther with a different scarfer that can revenge lilligant (rotom-s maybe?) so that you can cut sandslash, which is pretty balls. i'd still kind of want the hazard removal because the team is super spikes weak unless you can like lure in garbodor with sawk, but it's hard to replace sandslash with another hazard remover without drastically changing the team and probably getting rid of the voltturn support.

agree that samurott over ursaring is a p good change at least, but if you do for some reason scrap sandslash and scyther without putting another hazard remover on, i'd probably prefer ursaring if only because it threatens garbodor, which nothing else on your team really does.

the team is really weird, so it's difficult to recommend changes and know they're good ones without actually seeing the team in action. basically do whatever works for you. also av lanturn rules. i used that shit in xy and people dogged on me for it.
Thanks!
For sandslash I'll try out a more defensive set with 184 attack EVs moved to defence leaving only 72 in attack. This will get archeops to a point where he can't 2hko me without hazards although I can't bring him to half his health with only one knock off and one helmet contact. I don't really see where you're going with defensive mawile because sandlsash always 2hko's mawile anyway (I'm guessing you meant OHKO). mawile still can't deal with sandslash without making contact though and I've never seen a defensive set do anything against the team yet so I'm not too worried.

Last edited:
Man it amazes how you manage to use creative stuff successfully like Lum Sawk and AV lanturn which I honestly thought was garbage at first. Its very hard to change anything in this team without altering the Volt turn + Sawk and normal spam strategy as it has been very successful. Although in my honest opinion, you could use Tank Rhydon > Sandslash to check all of the threats you mentioned in Archeops, Vivillion and normal types. Since you already have a fire check in Lanturn you can try SD on it have a better match up vs defensive teams.

Since you lose your spinner going with Rhydon so I'd recommend Pivot Xatu in place of Ursaring. You lose your main hard hitter but you can try cool stuff like screens to help Linoone or even LO variant which hits decently hard while providing hazard control.

Anyway, welcome back bro :]

Rhydon @ Eviolite
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 HP / 120 Atk / 136 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Rock Blast
- Swords Dance
--------------------------------------------
Xatu @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 248 HP / 200 Def / 60 Spe
Bold Nature
- Grass Knot
- U-turn
- Psychic
- Roost

I think looking at your team, it's incredibly odd and seeing someone with so much success with a team like this deserves credit.
My only suggestions for this unique core would be this:
Lefties > AV on lanturn. Lanturn can get whittled really easily and having that passive recovery along with the thought that it can carry any status move such as heal bell, thunder wave, toxic if they see lefties and don't assume a choiced item or AV when they see no recovery so it will always put a thought in the back of the mind of your opponents to be a little extra careful if they don't already know the team.
Stone edge/rock slide > knock off. This would give you an ability to hit things like archeops for more damage if you hit whilst also having a popular edge-quake combo.
I'd also suggest changing the ev's slightly on the sandslash to have enough defense investment to live 2 acros, hence you have the ability to switch into archeops.
252 Atk Archeops Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 248 HP / 96+ Def Sandslash: 145-172 (41 - 48.7%) -- 14.1% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
164 Atk Sandslash Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Archeops: 240-284 (82.4 - 97.5%)
164 Atk Sandslash Rock Slide vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Archeops: 180-214 (61.8 - 73.5%)

Apart from that, cool team and I hope to see you more :]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)