ORAS OU Intersection - VoltTurn Bulky Offense

Peak #463 (1597)
Proof of Peak

If any of you have been reading my RMTs, then you would know that throughout much of my time in competitive battling, I’ve mostly built Bulky Offense teams. It’s still true now, even if its not to as extreme of a degree as before. This team is likely the best bulky offense team I’ve ever built as far as how far in the ladder it has taken me - but it's not like I even try to go for high peaks. This team, like many of my better ones, went through quite a few iterations. Originally, it was going to be a spiritual successor to my favorite bulky offense I built in XY, The Union, but it deviated to the point I might as well as make its own team.

Originally, this team was meant to be a VoltTurn team around Roost + 3 Attacks Mega Scizor, which transformed into a Mega Altaria team shortly after due to issues with how effective the team was and vital aspects it lacked such as a Keldeo hard check. Afterwards, it began to take its current form, but with a few role differences. Scizor was an SD set that bounced back and forth between Offensive SD and Bulky SD, and Azumarill was a band set. After realizing a weakness to balance and especially stall, I tried to look for solutions. Raikou seemed like the first choice, changing it to a CM set. But in the end, I opted for Belly Drum Azumarill over Choice Band, and went back to Roost + 3 Attacks Mega Scizor.​

I began with Mega Scizor, determined to build a solid Bulky Offense team for it - still my favorite pokemon. While Mega Scizor is no longer the win-condition, it still isn’t deadweight at all.
AV Raikou was my next choice - partially to help keep some bulky waters and electrics in check, partially an instinctive action.
Chesnaught provided the ability to check and counter numerous pokemon, especially Ferrothorn which was a problem that began to open up.
I was beginning to see a gaping fire and Talonflame weakness by now, and Heatran is a pokemon that I use on almost any bulky offense team I make for its incredible ability to glue teams together and set-up rocks.
Azumarill provided another fire resistance, as well as a way to stop Lando-I with a bit of prior damage. Now, while it cannot stop Lando-I without a good chunk of prior damage, it provides a solid win-condition.
Latios is a pokemon that I adore in every way that is not its mediocre coverage, and provided hazard removal and a way to get past Mega Venusaur and a ‘Zard-Y check.​

Tripartition (Scizor) (M) @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 248 HP / 172 Atk / 88 Spe
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- Roost

Yes, I’ve built Steely Resolve, a MZor hyper offense that will live forever in my heart as my first successful one, but I had this burning desire to have a Mega Scizor team in my favorite archetype - Bulky Offense. The first half of the VoltTurn core, it provides a Mega Metagross switch-in, a check to numerous threatening pokemon such as Lati@s and Mega Altaria, while still not being a slouch on the offensive side. 88 Speed EVs were used to outspeed 4 Spe Crocune after Mega Evolving, and was suggested by Celticpride. Superpower was selected over Knock Off since despite the latter being a safety net move, I could say that U-turn already offers that and Superpower provides superior coverage. The remaining EVs were more biased towards bulk than attack since the drop in power is not very significant, and 248 HP EVs allows for me to check things like Mega Metagross better. While its no longer tailored to be a win-condition, I feel better about it too an extent since it can actually switch into things while providing momentum. All in all, while its not a huge player, it still helps provide offensive pressure.​

Thistle (Raikou) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Ice]

I remember back when I caught Raikou in SoulSilver. It was a random encounter during the story, and I fortunately had the Master Ball by then - unlike my encounter with Entei when I just started the game. Need I say more? While Raikou is rather passive without Choice SpecsI just love how it can keep so many threatening pokemon to teambuild for, from Mega Manectric, Thundurus, Tornadus-T, Mega Pidgeot, many water types as well as being able to 2HKO Mega Metagross in a pinch. An Assault Vest allows for Raikou to perform its job of checking opponents better. Shadow Ball is a general safety net move with excellent neutral coverage. While at times, I hate its lack of power, I find that I also appreciate how much momentum it can provide as well as how much it checks. Its more of a background player to this team, but it definitely is a contributor to victory.

Barricade (Chesnaught) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 204 HP / 160 Def / 144 Spe
Impish Nature
- Spiky Shield
- Drain Punch
- Wood Hammer
- Leech Seed

Chesnaught is grossly underrated. Initially, I didn’t quite have a good impression of it because I didn’t find Chespin as anything special and Quilladin looked idiotic to me. It wasn’t until I CB Outraged one in UU with my Haxorus that I really realized how bulky it was. Once it got Drain Punch in ORAS, I knew that I would be using it for the time to come. Generally, Chesnaught isn’t complete support, but how much pokemon it checks is definitely valuable, as well as its Leech Seeds - especially delicious if planted in a Chansey that’s cornered as last pokemon. 204 HP EVs is the highest amount of bulk while granting a Leftovers number while 144 Speed EVs provide enough speed to outspeed BD Azu, allowing for it to be a semi-reliable BD Azumarill stop. Chesnaught has its place on this team’s defensive backbone, being one of my best answers to sand offence and rain’s physical swift swimmers, Ferrothorn especially in the Rain, and threatening megas such as Mega Lopunny.

Extrusion (Heatran) (F) @ Air Balloon
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 72 HP / 144 SpA / 40 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Stone Edge

Heatran is a pokemon that never really left a lasting impression on be before I got into competitive battling. Now, as far as I’m concerned, it’s god-tier glue. Despite being hit neutrally by two more types, its amount of resistances is still absurd. Offensive Heatran is a pokemon that I simply adore using, less for its power, but more what it can check. The spread is max speed simply to outspeed Heatrans which run the 244+ spread as well as the 200 Spe Kyurem-B spread, and to survive a +2 Dark Pulse from Mega Houndoom after rocks. Earth Power was selected over options such as Flash Cannon because it offers better general coverage, hitting opposing fire-types and bulky waters better than Flash Cannon usually would. Stone Edge was originally chosen over Ancient Power, and was replaced back thanks to Leftiez who also suggested a bulkier Heatran spread, and my realization that Raikou deals with SpDef Talonflame anyways.

Chloride (Azumarill) (F) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 12 HP / 252 Atk / 244 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Knock Off

The primary win-condition, the last thing non-water resists see. This walking easter egg did not receive too much of a buff in the transition to ORAS, but being able to run Knock Off on Belly Drum sets makes a big difference. With some prior damage, Knock Off will OHKO what were previously decent answers, such as Ferrothorn and Amoonguss. Personally, I don’t like switching my no-recovery win-conditions into anything, so Azumarill doesn’t contribute much to the synergy like it usually does in my teams. 244 Speed EVs were used to speed creep uninvested base 80s, and while I haven’t done that yet, the extra speed has helped out against things like Skarmory. When it seems like the favor is tipping to the other side, Azumarill can sometimes pull me out, sweeping or weakening the other team enough to almost guarantee victory.

Fission (Latios) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 32 HP / 224 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog
- Roost

I’ve adored Latios at first sight, what kind of boy wouldn’t like the idea of a dragon that looks like a fighter jet? When I saw it roaming around Hoenn, Southern Route 110, caught pants down with my Master Ball already used, I wanted it. I needed it. When I caught it, the game froze at the nickname screen. Onto happier memories, Latios has found its place on the majority of my offensive teams as a defogger. While Latios deters the synergy as well as contributing to it, it helps me threaten key pokemon such as Mega Venusaur and Rotom-W. 32 HP EVs allow for a Life Orb number and a little extra bulk (Credit to Sablenite for the idea of a bulkier Latios spread to begin with). At times, I wish that it had better coverage, since even though HP Fire and Earthquake exist, neither are particularly powerful coming off of Latios, and makes me forfeit recovery which furthermore sometimes makes me wish I had Roost to reliably hard check Keldeo. In spite of its flaws, Latios is a valuable member of the team both in terms of support and offensive presence.

Originally, I was going to RMT a team built around a RP Lando-I + NP Togekiss core, but as the Aegislash Suspect Test rolled around, I realized that I might as well as post this team before I have to make adjustments. As of now, its quite successful, making farther than any of my teams and also satisfying my brain’s desire to have solid synergy coupled with a VoltTurn core, a F/W/G core, although it falls short of a D/S/Flying core - it does get a D/S/Fairy core. Currently, I'm too lazy to ladder further but I'm sure that someone else can do it if they truly wish. I’m currently quite happy with the team, but if any of you believe that something can improve the team, then post below!

Tripartition (Scizor) (M) @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 248 HP / 172 Atk / 88 Spe
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- Roost

Thistle (Raikou) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Chesnaught @ Leftovers
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 204 HP / 160 Def / 144 Spe
Impish Nature
- Spiky Shield
- Drain Punch
- Wood Hammer
- Leech Seed

Extrusion (Heatran) (F) @ Air Balloon
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 72 HP / 144 SpA / 40 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Stone Edge

Chloride (Azumarill) (F) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 12 HP / 252 Atk / 244 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Knock Off

EVs: 32 HP / 224 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog
- Roost

Heatran: Ancient Power -> Stone Edge
Heatran: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe -> 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Heatran: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe -> 72 HP / 144 SpA / 40 SpD / 252 Spe
Chesnaught: 200 HP / 252 Def / 56 Spe -> 204 HP / 160 Def / 144 Spe
Oversights: Fixed Importable Error where Heatran still had Ancient Power
Raikou: Changed to Choice Specs for extra power and Shadow Ball to Extrasensory to eliminate Mega Venusaur - a big threat to a BD Azumarill sweep.

Last edited:
Reserved For Threatlist

S Rank

Mega Altaria:
Cotton Guard DD sets are the devil itself, but the other sets are rather manageable by Scizor or Heatran.

Keldeo:
Generally, I switch to Latios, and double to Chesnaught at the sight of a Pursuit trapper.

Landorus-Incarnate:
Everything dies if they try to switch-in. However, Chesnaught is the only pokemon it can get a switch on, and it takes a hefty chunk from Wood Hammer or gets Leech Seeded. Rock Polish sets are extremely scary, requiring either Latios to be healthy, or both Scizor and Azumarill present to take it out together.

Mega Metagross:
It's usage has declined, but Scizor is the usual answer to it.
A+ Rank

Azumarill:
The team has about zero reliable switch-ins to the band set, but it's not hard to pressure out. Belly Drum variants are nightmare fuel if they run more than 164 Speed and if Latios is weakened. No longer an issue after Chesnaught's EV spread was changed.

Bisharp: Chesnaught keeps it in check barring +2 LO Iron Head flinches.

Mega Charizard X: Uncommon as of now, but undoubtedly a huge threat. Azumarill cannot reliably stop it and it sweeps everything after its gone. My only real option is retaining enough offensive pressure and never giving it a free switch-in with Chesnaught. DD + Roost is my favorite variant to see since that widens my options to Heatran.

Clefable: Calm Mind variants are usually stopped by brute force, Unaware variants worn down, and it usually cannot find a free switch-in on anything but again, Chesnaught.

Mega Diancie: Scizor tends to keep it in check and Magnezone has declined so...

Garchomp: Any team with a VoltTurn core doesn't like this thing at all. However, it's pretty easy to take advantage of if it carries Rest and is worn down quite quickly otherwise.

Gengar: Nothing can take a hit, but again, almost nothing can grant a free-switch but Chesnaught which can still Leech Seed it.

Gliscor: Toxic Stall variants of the ladder don't last very long, and SD variants wish they were faster and hate Chesnaught.

Heatran: Not difficult to switch-into, although putting a dent in it can be another story.

Landorus-Therian: Annoying, but it generally can't do anything on the offensive side as long as Chesnaught is alive.

Mega Lopunny: Chesnaught generally threatens it out and Mega Scizor can check it quite well.

Latios: Roost variants are a pain to wear down but easy to switch-into, HP Fire / EQ variants are a pain to switch-into but easy to wear down.

Mega Sableye: Although my team lacks surefire checks, it is generally too pressured to sweep. If push comes to shove, Azu can set up BD on it and then OHKO it even if it's burned.

Mega Scizor: Heatran must be kept alive in almost every scenario vs. an SD one.

Talonflame: Heatran must be kept alive as well, but at least I can almost guarantee a safe switch-in to it.

Thundurus: Without Raikou, NP 6-0's the team, and it puts a huge dent into the team regardless if Raikou is gone.

Tornadus-Therian: Extremely threatening, it outspeeds everything and does massive damage to everything. Raikou checks it but it still often isn't sufficient.

A Rank

Mega Alakazam: Scizor usually can deal with it, and AV Raikou can revenge kill it, but it overall is very, very threatening.

Celebi: Scizor deals with everything bar the rare LO HP Fire variants, which Heatran deals with.

Mega Charizard Y: Nightmare fuel to switch-into, especially if paired with a pursuit trapper. Again, not hard to force out, but very threatening.

Excadrill: Chesnaught laughs at it and the Tyranitar's sandstorm it abuses - until it gets Fire Blasted, but that's not Excadrill so...

Ferrothorn: Heatran and Chesnaught both deal with it, which one I choose depends on how quickly I want to eliminate it. Azumarill can also power through it and Scizor can finish it off.

Mega Gardevoir: Nothing switches in, except for Scizor - which risks being Wisped. However, it's much easier to pressure than 'Zards since it takes a massive chunk from a Wood Hammer, and Psyshock can put a dent in it even if it can't 2HKO the standard spread.

Mega Gyarados: Chesnaught stops it cold, done, it gets a free switch-in on only Heatran.

Hippowdon: This thing is stupidly fat, really. However, Azumarill can usually use it as set-up fodder, force it out, and Chesnaught and Latios are things it doesn't like facing but can wear down. Heatran also does a chunk to weakened ones.

Latias: Essentially Latios, but ignore the HP Fire/EQ section.

Mega Latias: Nightmare fuel if I don't BD right with it, or Draco it before it sets up.

Manaphy: At most it takes one pokemon out. No more, sometimes less.

Mega Manectric: While it gets few switch-in opportunities in practice - my only answer is Raikou which is worn down with time, or a healthy Latios.

Rotom-W: Annoying with or without the presence of Latios on my team, especially if paired with a pursuit trapper. Raikou is realistically often my best choice.

Slowbro: Can be finished off by Chesnaught, Latios, Scizor, or forced out with Raikou.

Mega Slowbro: Extremely intimidating if it manages to set-up, usually all I can do is set up a BD on it and hope for no Scald burn.

Starmie: Defensive variants are easy to switch-into but difficult to wear down, and offensive variants are difficult to switch-into but easy to wear down - considering the only thing it can switch into does about 40% to offensive ones.

Tyranitar: Fortunately, Fire Blast is almost non-existent on it as of now, especially scarf sets. Both are good news for Chesnaught, and Scizor but how it kills Latios so effortlessly is annoying.

Mega Venusaur: Defensive ones are easy to switch-into, Offensive ones are walled by Heatran, Latios can threaten it out - but it's a pain for Azumarill.
A- Rank
Mega Aerodactyl:
Very rare, but very threatening. Everything takes massive damage from the right move, but my priority can usually force it out.

Mega Gallade: I have never, ever been swept by one using any half-good team, although admittedly I've only faced it with offensive teams. Priority followed with Raikou are enough to stop it.

Gyarados: Generally Sub DD is the only relevant variant, which can be stopped by Raikou if it doesn't have much boosts. Chesnaught can also stall out all of its Bounces and do chip damage as well.

Jirachi: What a rage-inducing little wishmaker, especially Doom Desire + HP Ground variants. Otherwise, it's not too hard to deal with but extremely annoying.

Klefki: Despite Serene Grace Iron Heads, Klefki takes the cake for being even more annyoing. Heatran will be paralyzed if it tries to kill it, Raikou can't break through dual screens variants.

Kyurem-Black: How do you even switch-into this thing with this team? Scizor does the trick until you get HP Fire'd, and Latios hates coming in on a sub.

Mamoswine: Equally difficult to switch-into, but it can be revenge killed by Azumarill rather than Latios.
Mew: Heatran usually deals with it, nor can it switch-into anything not named Chesnaught which can Leech Seed. However, I have nightmares of the day when I face an Expert Belt variant Low Kick'ing my Heatran's face in.

Mega Pinsir: Almost non-existent nowadays, but a healthy Raikou or a healthy Latios generally can check it quite well.
Politoed: A fat little toad that doesn't like to die, especially since the opponent is likely to play it with caution. Raikou and Chesnaught check different variants respectively, but the rain it brings is more of a concern to my team.

Raikou: Not hard to switch-into, not hard to wear down, but facing it can be rather awkward, especially if it comes into my Raikou when it doesn't use Volt Switch and we wall each other.

Serperior: Without a doubt, extremely threatening. However, Scizor and Heatran can deal with different variants respectively.

Skarmory: Custap lead sets are dealt with a combination of Raikou's Shadow Ball and a Volt Switch (Even with 0 HP and SpD IVs, and a Naive nature, SBall does 71.6% max). Specially defensive sets are annoying, especially if they Roost on my Volt Switch. Fortunately, it can't really hinder an Azu sweep if it has a little prior damage.
Volcarona: Rare, and while threatening, Heatran and Latios deal with it depending on its coverage options.

Playstyle Match-Ups

Rain
+
:
Politoed itself is rather annoying, but the other members are another package. The swift swimmers are dealt with the combination of Chesnaught or Azumarill, but Tornadus-Therian is especially scary.

Sand
+
:
Sand is quite the common and threatening playstyle, but Chesnaught stops the most common variants of it. Mega Garchomp is another package, one that happens to be impossible to switch-into.

Sun and Hail aren't common enough for me to bother listing them, although they are legitimate playstyles.

Hyper Offense
:
The team has a relatively neutral match-up and is offensive enough to fight for momentum, but HO usually will take it from the start due to its nature. From then on, it's the side that makes the best plays and whether it retains the momentum or if this team takes it. While this may not seem too good, keep in mind that HO while it starts out with the momentum, it technically also makes the field 5-6.

Bulky Offense
:
The match-up is almost entirely neutral, it just depends on what the other team has and which side pulls the best plays that determines victory.

Balance
:
Quite the pain to face since it's more than a little common, but as long as I have the momentum, BD Azumarill should be able to clean them up.

Stall
:
At the end of the day, it depends on whether I manage to eliminate Azu's counters and sufficiently weaken the opposing team through momentum from the VoltTurn core to win.

Last edited:
I see that speed investment may be good on azu but more HP can be used to take a hit and still be able to BD. Also your team isn't particularly weak to rocks so maybe you could try something over Defog like HP fire for ferro or calm mind. Roost+CM sounds good in my opinion. You could try a bulkier set with latias and calm mind. Just saying since you like bulky offense

I see that speed investment may be good on azu but more HP can be used to take a hit and still be able to BD. Also your team isn't particularly weak to rocks so maybe you could try something over Defog like HP fire for ferro or calm mind. Roost+CM sounds good in my opinion. You could try a bulkier set with latias and calm mind. Just saying since you like bulky offense
I have used teams that aren't weak to hazards without hazard support, and while it usually doesn't matter, things tend to devolve quick once the enemy starts stacking Spikes or Sticky Web, the former of which is more common. Hidden Power Fire is an option that I don't really feel like the team needs since it possesses two Ferrothorn counters, one of which is immune to Gyro Ball and Leech Seed while taking nothing from Power Whip, and the other can OHKO it cleanly. However, Calm Mind is an interesting option that I have not heavily explored, will provide me with another win-condition, and a better method of dealing with Mega Slowbro. However, I feel like that would also make Latios somewhat vulnerable to status while not being fast or bulky enough to consistently sweep offense (Mega Gallade has taught me that), and it's coverage is rather disappointing.

Latias on the other hand, is much easier to take advantage of and requires more boosts to be a frightening offensive presence on the field. While the extra bulk is nice I've rarely found myself needing it, since I already have two pokemon with pretty heavy bulk investment. Regardless, thanks for the rate!

Solid Team Flygonial! I cannot find anything wrong with this team at all. Your RMT is spot on as well, very well thought out! This is what an RMT should look like. Only thing I can really say about this is maybe Latias > Latios? Helps more with Manaphy and Manectric but that's all.

Hmm, Also. Maybe try running Stone Edge over Ancient Power on Tran. It's better for SpDef Talonflame.

Solid Team Flygonial! I cannot find anything wrong with this team at all. Your RMT is spot on as well, very well thought out! This is what an RMT should look like. Only thing I can really say about this is maybe Latias > Latios? Helps more with Manaphy and Manectric but that's all.
Thanks! I gave this RMT my all mainly due to my bias on how much I like this team personally. Latias can definitely be considered over Latios - while my team doesn't have that much trouble with Manaphy Latias can soak up hits from Mega Man as well as RP Lando-I as well, and OHKO's Mega Manectric anyways. This is quite true as well considering my Latios set that it might as well as be a Latias one. This does have a downside in being less of a good choice for dealing with BD Azumarill due to lower damage output, but I'll consider it.

Hmm, Also. Maybe try running Stone Edge over Ancient Power on Tran. It's better for SpDef Talonflame.
I used Stone Edge previously up until this point when I realized that not only will Heatran's Stone Edge will be too late if I switch-in once Talonflame sets up, and even if it tries to set-up on me, then Stone Edge may always miss, whereas Ancient Power will consistently do 30-70% depending on whether it roosts or not, and if it tries to PP stall me then I can Earth Power it as it Roosts. The only real benefit of using Stone Edge is that it OHKO's Mega Charizard Y, and while this is quite important, I believe my team is less weak to 'Zard Y than Talonflame. Thanks for the rate!

Not sure I have much to add, hope I don't get my post deleted, but I think this is the best RMT I've ever seen. very well thought out and elaborate. hope you don't mind but I'm going to be trying this team. :-D

Not sure I have much to add, hope I don't get my post deleted, but I think this is the best RMT I've ever seen. very well thought out and elaborate. hope you don't mind but I'm going to be trying this team. :-D
I don't mind at all, and thanks, it means a lot to me. While I would appreciate a rate, that was enough to make me happy, even if it's rather lacking in content. Now, I'll be going to bed.

This is just an idea, but considering that everyone but Chesnaught has some offensive investment, have you tried out a more offensive Chesnaught? I don't think it's that popular, but maybe something you might want to think about.

He has a pretty decent move pool that can catch a few pokemon on the switch. Shadow Claw for Gengar, Stone Edge for Talonflame, and Earthquake which is a very good coverage.

He also gets access to Swords Dance and Bulk Up. Again, not sure if an offensive Chesnaught is necessary, but maybe he'd fit in a little better since everyone else can hold there own.

This is just an idea, but considering that everyone but Chesnaught has some offensive investment, have you tried out a more offensive Chesnaught? I don't think it's that popular, but maybe something you might want to think about.

He has a pretty decent move pool that can catch a few pokemon on the switch. Shadow Claw for Gengar, Stone Edge for Talonflame, and Earthquake which is a very good coverage.

He also gets access to Swords Dance and Bulk Up. Again, not sure if an offensive Chesnaught is necessary, but maybe he'd fit in a little better since everyone else can hold there own.
It's a good idea, since most of the time, when a dangerous threat can switch-in, it's because of Chesnaught. From Talonflame, Mega 'Zards, Clefable, Latis, and Torn-T they all can switch-into Chesnaught - although they usually are Leech Seeded they can. An offensive Chesnaught does look like a good idea, but it does have its shortcomings.

Leech Seed support is often invaluable to my team, as is Chesnaught's bulk. Dropping defensive investment means that Mega Lopunny can potentially 2HKO me with HJK, Bisharp would only need 20% of prior damage to OHKO me with a +2 LO Iron Head, and gives Excadrill a small chance to 2HKO with LO Iron Head after rocks, whereas it needs a roll to 3HKO max defense Chesnaught after rocks. I'm not sure how well it would perform, and while it would patch-up some weaknesses, it would aggravate some others. Overall, I wouldn't dismiss it, but it has its disadvantages.

EDIT: I changed Chesnaught's EV spread, but mainly the extra speed for BD Azu.

Last edited:
Very solid team there! Few quick things. I'd run more speed on Mega Scizor, enough to outspeed base 85 speed CroCune (164 EVs from Attack to Speed). You could also throw that in SDef, if you are looking for a Gard counter but even with out that it can still be a good check (aka it can switch in on HV and Psyshock, the more spammable STABs). That helps you outspeed some critical threats (Venu, Suicune, Heatran) when cleaning a slower balanced or stall team. That's pretty much all I have, that's a very solid team. You are a little Char-X weak, but Heatran can check it because it's more offensive set, and Azu is a good fallback.

Really nice team man, good job!

Hey dude, this is a solid team you got there, i don't really have major changes for your team, but i can give you some tips that can make your team better.
  • First i'd suggest to use Stone Edge instead of Ancient Power on Heatran, this is simple Ancient Power is weak and doesnt OHKO Volcarona and Charizard Y, it might be lame to send Heatran as a check and not be able to revenge kill them, while with Stone edge (Even with Timid nature) you will be able to OHKO those threat listed above.
  • Then as i said before you need Stone Edge to hit Charizard, but to be honest you cant really tank a focus blast especially from the modest one, that's why i suggest this spread on ==> Heatran EVs: 104 HP / 164 SpA / 240 Spe Timid Nature, now you will be able to tank one focus blast even after Stealth Rock damage and kill it which is better than only rely on Latios especially when Charizard-y is always played with a pursuiter around. 240 Speed Timid allows you to outspeed Heracross Mega Jolly since he can be very dangerous for your team.
I Hope I Helped and Good Luck With Your Team.

Very solid team there! Few quick things. I'd run more speed on Mega Scizor, enough to outspeed base 85 speed CroCune (164 EVs from Attack to Speed). You could also throw that in SDef, if you are looking for a Gard counter but even with out that it can still be a good check (aka it can switch in on HV and Psyshock, the more spammable STABs). That helps you outspeed some critical threats (Venu, Suicune, Heatran) when cleaning a slower balanced or stall team. That's pretty much all I have, that's a very solid team. You are a little Char-X weak, but Heatran can check it because it's more offensive set, and Azu is a good fallback.

Really nice team man, good job!
Thanks! I don't feel like sacrificing all the power, since I feel like Mega Scizor can't touch anything without investment. However, I'll go implement the extra speed EVs, I'll go with 248 HP / 172 Atk / 88 Spe for 4 Spe Crocune, since it's Roost + 3 Attacks so it usually mega evolves early.

Hey dude, this is a solid team you got there, i don't really have major changes for your team, but i can give you some tips that can make your team better.
  • First i'd suggest to use Stone Edge instead of Ancient Power on Heatran, this is simple Ancient Power is weak and doesnt OHKO Volcarona and Charizard Y, it might be lame to send Heatran as a check and not be able to revenge kill them, while with Stone edge (Even with Timid nature) you will be able to OHKO those threat listed above.
  • Then as i said before you need Stone Edge to hit Charizard, but to be honest you cant really tank a focus blast especially from the modest one, that's why i suggest this spread on ==> Heatran EVs: 104 HP / 164 SpA / 240 Spe Timid Nature, now you will be able to tank one focus blast even after Stealth Rock damage and kill it which is better than only rely on Latios especially when Charizard-y is always played with a pursuiter around. 240 Speed Timid allows you to outspeed Heracross Mega Jolly since he can be very dangerous for your team.
I Hope I Helped and Good Luck With Your Team.
I have used Stone Edge previously, but I mainly swapped over to Ancient Power to deal with SpDef Talonflame better. However, recently I realized something else - Raikou deals with SpDef Talonflame anyways - so I'll go slap in Stone Edge.

I'm not pressed for Mega Charizard Y checks because Latios can usually force it out, Roost afterwards, or double at the sight of a Pursuit trapper. While it's not the most reliable check, I do have more things that can force it out such as Raikou so it's never really been much of an issue as of yet. Furthermore, I believe that the EV spread you meant is actually more among the lines of 104 HP / 164 SpD / 240 Spe because of this:

252+ SpA Mega Charizard Y Focus Blast vs. 104 HP / 0 SpD Heatran: 318-376 (91.1 - 107.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

However, even with 164 SpD EVs....

252+ SpA Mega Charizard Y Focus Blast vs. 104 HP / 164 SpD Heatran: 272-322 (77.9 - 92.2%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Regardless, I find that even if I were to run 16 HP / 252 SpD / 240 Spe, this still happens:

252+ SpA Mega Charizard Y Focus Blast vs. 16 HP / 252 SpD Heatran: 254-300 (77.6 - 91.7%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Not only will I not find it worth it to invest all those EVs, they cannot avoid the OHKO after Stealth Rock. Thanks for the suggestions though, and I'll definitely take Stone Edge back to it's place on Heatran.

Last edited:
Ah sounds like i calc'd Timid nature, but a bulky variant might still be cool.
After a while, I've settled on this EV spread for Heatran: 72 HP / 144 SpA / 40 SpD / 252 Spe

It allows for it to survive a +2 Dark Pulse from Mega Houndoom after rocks - a huge threat to my team since I cannot outspeed it and Azumarill often doesn't have enough power to KO it - and I'm in big trouble once I run into a Sludge Bomb set. I tried an alternate spread of 112 HP / 136 SpA / 8 SpD / 252 Spe, but I decided I wanted a spread that would give more power while still offering Heatran some general bulk.

Try this EV spread for Latios for better bulk.

EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog
- Roost

Try this EV spread for Latios for better bulk.

EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog
- Roost
Not a bad idea, the amount of OHKO's or near guaranteed OHKO's and 2HKO's it misses usually will have prior damage on them, just as Serperior, RestTalk Ampharos, Specs Sylveon, Rotom-W, etc. However, I feel as though I'm going to miss a OHKO where I need it, and Latios isn't exactly needing the extra bulk - I would run Latias if that was a concern. Therefore, I'll go compromise with 32 HP / 224 SpA / 252 Spe to help alleviate the OHKO's I miss.

DennisEG

Civil Engineer
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hey man i like to make u a suggestion may help for Azu sweep, i've notice u run 88 evs speed on Mega Zor which acomplish nothing at all and ur packing at the same time Superpower guess for heatran, but with ur volt-turn core + Stealth Rock up u dont need hko, so my recommendations are 96 Evs Speed > 88 Evs Speed on Mega Zor which allow u to outspeed standard defensive rotom and wear down for Azumarril also u can put Pursuit > Superpower to remove latios and weaken slowbro.
Also u can try as well put Spikes > Spiky shield on Chest and add Calm Mind > Defog to latios, this way u force u opponent defog or spin also annoy more spikes + rocks with this type of teams !
Hope i help u man gl

Hey man i like to make u a suggestion may help for Azu sweep, i've notice u run 88 evs speed on Mega Zor which acomplish nothing at all and ur packing at the same time Superpower guess for heatran, but with ur volt-turn core + Stealth Rock up u dont need hko, so my recommendations are 96 Evs Speed > 88 Evs Speed on Mega Zor which allow u to outspeed standard defensive rotom and wear down for Azumarril also u can put Pursuit > Superpower to remove latios and weaken slowbro.
Also u can try as well put Spikes > Spiky shield on Chest and add Calm Mind > Defog to latios, this way u force u opponent defog or spin also annoy more spikes + rocks with this type of teams !
Hope i help u man gl
88 Speed EVs do not do nothing at all. I stated that 88 Speed EVs are to outspeed 4 Spe Crocune. 96 Spe EVs may outspeed 4 Spe Rotom-W, and less may run 44 Spe now - but is that even worth it at all? Many, including all of mine, still run at least 44 Spe, which will require heavier investment that's just not worth it. Besides - most of the time I'm U-turning on Rotom-W. Running Pursuit on Scizor is something I've considered for a while though, and while the amount of Heatran's I've Superpower'd makes me reluctant it'll help out for achieving the team's goal (I've been running Specs Raikou with Extrasensory for that reason despite making me weaker to certain threats).

Also, I'm not going to accuse you of this, but I think that replying to this thread might count as thread necromancy - like it's just twenty-one days afterwards but I'm not sure how tight they are on that rule.

DennisEG

Civil Engineer
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
88 Speed EVs do not do nothing at all. I stated that 88 Speed EVs are to outspeed 4 Spe Crocune. 96 Spe EVs may outspeed 4 Spe Rotom-W, and less may run 44 Spe now - but is that even worth it at all? Many, including all of mine, still run at least 44 Spe, which will require heavier investment that's just not worth it. Besides - most of the time I'm U-turning on Rotom-W. Running Pursuit on Scizor is something I've considered for a while though, and while the amount of Heatran's I've Superpower'd makes me reluctant it'll help out for achieving the team's goal (I've been running Specs Raikou with Extrasensory for that reason despite making me weaker to certain threats).

Also, I'm not going to accuse you of this, but I think that replying to this thread might count as thread necromancy - like it's just twenty-one days afterwards but I'm not sure how tight they are on that rule.
I mean rotom run 44 evs speed just for BD Jolly azu but nobody runs that this days thats why is woth imo give scizor to hit 210 speed rather than 208, about that time to reply to this thread doesnt matter just bescause im trying to help u nothing else. But yeah after all my post is just a rate so u can aplly changes or not wether u like ! gl

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)