CAP 20 CAP 20 - Art Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magistrum

DOITSU NO KAGAKU WA SEKAI ICHI
is a Top Artist Alumnus
Final Submission
MAIN DESIGN

This is my CAP20 entry, based on the Mantis Shrimp. (No not Pistol Shrimps cuz they suck, js)

SUPPORTING MATERIAL
Design Justification
Since the concept of this CAP is about having an equally viable Dragon Dance and Calm Mind sets, I chose an aggressive base animal that is known to throw extremely quick and excruciating punches as well as creating cavitation bubbles that produce shockwaves, which seems to cover and justify both physical and special attacking. The two forms of the claw (modes, if you will), are a nod to attacking both physically and specially too.

This video is a hilarious infodump on the Mantis Shrimp. It shows how these murderous things hunt, burrowing the ground/rocks/corals and tirelessly waiting for prey to come close so it could snag or mutilate them. I'd say camping mode requires a lot of mental fortitude so I guess that's a point for Calm Mind o3o

The head design is a bit of a nod to Dragon Dance as well (making it look a bit draconic), and have you heard of the Dragon Shrimp Recipe?

Stats and Abilities
Mons with Water Veil: Buizel, Finneon, Floatzel, Goldeen, Huntail, Lumineon, Mantine, Mantyke, Seaking, Wailmer, Wailord
I guess what they have in common is that they have fins? (Buizel/Floatzel had those light blue finlike thingies on them too) Thankfully my design has fins too, so huzzah (/o.o)/
Mons with Heatproof: Bronzong, Bronzor
The armorclad design of the Bronzong line itself warrants Heatproof, which is evident on my design too. Mantis Shrimps in real life also have really tough exoskeletons, and their preference to warm, tropical seas contributes to the Heatproof ability.

The stats (103/110/90/95/60/97) fits nicely as well; I tried making the design based on Drapion's (70/90/110/60/75/95) body type, which, apart from the special attack side, has relatively similar stats.

Supporting Art

(1)WIP sketches, (2) Proposed Relative Size,(3)Scary Face and Taunt, (4)Bullet Punch, Dragon Dance and Calm Mind

CLOSING REMARKS
I think it was a while since I've done only one CAP design throughout (afaik since CAP Malaconda) and I think I've spent the least time on this design compared to the previous ones. Nevertheless I like it a whole lot :3 Thanks to everyone who commented about my design on this thread as well as on CAP IRC and PS Art Room/CAP Project Room! ^_^

Edit 4/27: Added Heatproof justification.

Last edited:

Korski

Distilled, 80 proof
is a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Quanyails that is such a great design. It's imo the most clever submission in the thread, full of personality and thoughtfulness, and the quality of the art is superb, of course. It also fits the stats and ability very well. Overall fantastic well done.

Final Submisson

The smaller fish is now a lanternfish with an old ship's lantern on its belly! I've also made the anglerfish's metal plating somewhat less blatant and given it pectoral fins, which look like a miniature version of the tail. This is a reference to male anglerfish, which are much smaller than the females and mate by attaching themselves to the female's body, slowly atrophying until they look like nothing more than a protuding lump. Fortunately, understanding that reference is hardly necessary for understanding the design. This is definitely the final version of the design, but there might be some supporting art edited into this post later. (Probably not, though.)

Final Submission

I suppose that this will be the final design of my Lambton Worm. I'm so busy right now that any planned fourth iteration or touch-ups of any sort were never really going to happen, so I must present you with this guy. Which isn't all that bad, considering the earlier designs.

Thanks to everyone who gave support (sorry if I don't list anyone here - it would take too much effort to find everyone who commented on this), and good luck in final submitting!

TrainerSplash

Alolan Form
FINAL SUBMISSION

Power Tool Shark... sawrk... power shark... whatever his name is for the time being is now finished. Made his tail more like a power drill and screw driver. However if broken off it will look like the original design I had planned which can be seen here. Based the yellow, again off other power tools specifically electronic screw drivers. Added steal plates on the back and such to add more to the hammer parts and more steel like. Yellow and silver screws added to be more appealing and bring more to show that it's body isn't only plated by but also made of steel. Shading and lighting added to show off it's reflectiveness and stuff I also just love making Pokemon anime like art Brand new shade of blue was added, eye color was given and i made the jaw more curved and a better tongue shape/placement. Shiny variant can be found here. Sorry no Merknight update :(

Blue Frog

It's lucidity. So clear!
is a Top Artist Alumnus
Final Submission

Supporting Art

Changes:
I tried to implement everyone's advice, which was mostly to make the limbs "stronger" and more prominent. I generally bulked it up to match the decent attack and defense stats. I also added some complexity to the armor in order to make it look more metallic.

Design:
This is based on the basilisk lizard, which is famous for its ability to run on water. I used the lizard as a base and then added armor to it. The basilisk lizard has a lot of random markings so I put little spots on the armor, which glow whenever he's contemplative (Calm Mind). There's not much else to say about this—it's not exactly the most subtle design out there.

Flavor:
The basilisk lizard is a good basis for both Dragon Dance and Calm Mind, since it's reptilian and quite mystical/meditative in its capabilities. Water Veil fits nicely since it's aquatic; the ability doesn't really have a serious flavor requirement anyway. Heatproof also works because of the armor. In terms of stats, the design fits the criteria by not sticking out in favor of any one attribute—it has armor but isn't too bulky; it's brawny but not exceptionally powerful looking; it definitely possesses some degree of mental fortitude. I modelled it mainly off of Sceptile, Aggron, and Golduck, the last of which has very balanced stats not too different from these ones. Overall I think it matches up well with the flavor; hopefully the Secondary Ability isn't something completely weird.

Ok, that's pretty much it. Good luck to everyone else! There are some awesome designs this time around.

Last edited:

nyttyn

From Now On, We'll...
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
hi this is TL friend here to give an update on the deadline.

the secondary ability thread is currently dying down, and the 24ish hour warning is upon us. once done, there will be at least one poll, lasting no fewer then 24 hours - there may be potentially more polls, depending on how the numbers go, but as landslide voting has happened a few times in CAP20, don't count on it. after that is the art 24 hour warning - so, assume you'll have less than 72 hours left.

good job to all artists, some pretty great designs submitted this CAP, may the odds be ever in your favor~ cue rains of castamere

paintseagull says: Thanks nyttyn! Someone will also give an official deadline when we know what it will be!

Last edited by a moderator:
Final Submission

I started a little late, so I didn't get as much time to work on it then usual. But better late then never I guess ^^

It is based on Tlaloc, the Mayan water God, and a frilled lizard.
This pokémon is highly intellectual, being able to start developed communities with different tasks. The patterns on their body represent the place of the pokémon in their community. Scientist think they are also able to develop some kind of primitive religion because occasionally they are caught doing something that looks like praying.

Comments are more then welcome. I will probably work on it tomorrow for a little while and then make my final submission.

I see most people already finalised their design, but here are a comments on a few of the designs that aren't finished yet:
aXl I really like the design, but I would guess it is a fighting/psychic type. But maybe the right colors would solve that already. If it doesn't, I would make it look less hairy.
Doran Dragon I think the design fits the moveset (dragon dance + calm mind) and base stats nicely. The only comment that I have is that on first sight it looks more like a rock-type to me.
Mos-Quitoxe I love both designs! Designwise I like the boat-dragon more, but I think you should go with the alligator because it fits CAP20 better. But whatever design you choose, I will be in my list of my favorites ^^
paintseagull I kind of have the same comment as Doran Dragon's. I like the design and it fits with CAP20, but it more like a water/rock than water/steel to me.

EDIT: bummer, I don't have any time to edit :s Anyway thanks for the comments, and good luck to all contestants!

Last edited:

paintseagull

pink wingull
is a Top Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Final Submission

My CAP20 submission is a pseudo-hippocampus/seadragon/seahorse with hardened coral armour, ornamental wings and a bladed tail. For this dragon dancing, calm minded Pokemon, I envisioned a beautiful, regal dragon-like creature. To bring water and steel in, I thought of coral, which also fit with 'beauty'. The only coral-mon is a rock type, so I figured coral-inspired shapes could fit just as well with steel. For the face and markings, I used the three stripe damselfish as inspiration - a cute, small fish that lives in coral reefs. This elegant Pokemon has a sweet disposition, but has the tools to defend herself or to toughen up and go head to head with the meanest fighters.

Supporting art - Calm Mind & Dragon Dance
Supporting art - Attacking using the front fins
Supporting art - Back perspective

Thanks to Quanyails for helping me sort out the armour shape, and many people in #cap for helping me decide on details!

-------
Hollymon !!! This design is really genius, in my opinion. I lost it a little bit when I saw it at first, it's just so cool. I'm floored, honestly. I think the shuriken could be a prevo easily. Great job!!

Doran Dragon I'm not sure if it's the pose, but I don't really get this design as it is right now. I have faith in your design skills though, I think you can pull off the idea.

Nightmare Serum It's really cool to see a traditional art submission done really well, good luck to you in the polls, your design is cool :)

DougJustDoug As mentioned on irc, I think this is very excellent. I would suggest changing the arm positioning since they look frail right now, just because of their pose.

noobiess I hope I addressed the rock-type issue with my current version! Your design has promise but I feel it needs some extra visual appeal, either by colours or some major focal point in the design. Right now it falls a bit flat and bland, but I can't put my finger on why.

Last edited:
Comments

Hollymon that design is amazing, my god it's so freakin Bad A** . The shuriken was cool, but the katana just makes the mon ooze steel type. Amazing submission.

Sunfished I love your mon I don't see it being able to preform dragon dance, but it really fits the typing and stats of cap 20 better then anything else submitted imo.

Noobiess your concept is very original, and really, really creative. It stems way off from the ambiguous water creature that cap has favoring recently, and goes in a very new direction without losing that specific Pokemon-like art style. With that said it does seem to be lacking steel type elements. Maybe adding some metalic coloration to the skin and some more direct lighting will help with that. Also it's feet seem a little bland and out of place in your submission. Idk what you want them to do, but your submissions bird like structures make me want to suggest turning them into talons. Anyways I really like your submission, and wish you the best of luck.

We have so many unique submissions this time around, it will be interesting to see what form cap 20 will have. :)

QxC4eva

is an Artistis a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
paintseagull I like your design very much and it's one of my favorite overall. It's beautiful, elegant and downright cute. IMO a big issue is that it looks very Dragon/Ice, Water/Ice or even Fairy/Ice... and not so much Water/Steel. That's actually the only thing stopping me from fully supporting it. I know there are some official designs that don't quite fit their type either (Gyarados, Lugia etc) so it's really just my preference.

Hollymon it's a very cool looking mon but yet again, I don't think it satisfies all the characteristics of cap 20. It looks so angry that it's probably not capable of Calm Minding or dishing out many special attacks. As for Dragon Dance maybe a bit iffy cause of its body type. One thing for sure is it definitely looks capable of a Swords Dance o_O

noobiess I really like designs that are inspired by some sort of culture and especially if it's stuff from ancient history, so I think you did well on that part! But I have to agree with paintseagull that it lacks some sort of visual appeal and the drawing itself doesn't look too finalized. IMO the coloring can use a bit more tone and the outlines be less wobbly. The design has got a lot of detail on the upper portion but not a lot in the lower, perhaps a bit of balancing there won't hurt. And overall it needs more steel.

Blue Frog the more I look at your entry the more it's growing on me. Specifically I like the armor design and the simple color scheme. My first reaction was that "it looks like a Mega Golduck!" but of course it's not a duck and I imagine that body under the armor would be quite a different shape. Erm I can't think of anything to criticize right now. What I can say is it looks very appealing and definitely on my list of favs.

Magistrum I adore your coloring style and the design is looking very good. I think the eyes can stand out more - right now I see myself getting drawn to the horn, tail and especially the hole in claw more than its eyes. Maybe they could use a different color or a less saturated yellow.

Wobblebuns I think yours is outstanding in terms of design and those patterns look great. At a glance it looks a bit too bug-like and the only thing suggesting it may be water type is the coloring and the tip of the tail - which for me doesn't seem like enough. Otherwise great entry =]

Quanyails that's a very creative and interesting design. You get full marks for the idea alone. As for execution there's a few things I can point out - the anatomy doesn't look like it was designed to survive, it just.. doesn't look elegant enough if you get what I mean. Its body has got a very "statue" or "still-life" feel to it, rather than something that can easily move around, hunt for prey and hold its own in a battle. Of course that's just my preference, as there are indeed official designs that don't do these things well either.

Sgt.Moose it's cute, unique and very funny to look at. I think it works very well given how simple it is (the head reminds me of Quagsire XD) One thing is that like Quanyails design it has an amazing idea going but suffers a bit in the functional department. I did see the image where you had it use the pipe like a periscope and shoot stuff out of it, maybe that counts but props on it anyway as it really amused me ^.^

Last edited:

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
DougJustDoug Sawsharkasaur is a very cool design on the badass factor. Maybe it will make a little more sense to me in the action poses, but I almost feel like the dinosaur elements are unnecessary or cluttering, e.g. it would actually look better as a fully aquatic shark design. I think part of what makes "dino" mons like Aggron and Rhyperior work is that they are intended to be fully upright and bipedal. In contrast, Pokemon doesn't really have a fully detailed aquatic predator style of Pokemon. The two sharks are Garchomp and Sharpedo, and Sharpedo just ignores the fact sharks have tailfins while Garchomp firs the "dino" mold and looks legitimately bipedal.

I understand it's too large a design change to be feasible, I just feel like you've done so much with the design to make it go beyond "just a fish" that going the full shark route would be a great choice in its own right.

Final Submission

(link to full size version)
AT LAST IT'S DONE

So here we have it, the final version of my living viking longboat. Finally happy with the color scheme, and even mix of dull marine and vibrant metallic. Made the oars look more like feathers, but they can still cut stuff up good.

I shall attempt to provide supporting artwork, but that might not end up happening with the timeframes involved. Best of luck to all entrants!

Last edited:

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Holy shit that's cool

btw anyone having trouble seeing it as a Dragon Dancer think of Gyarados/Kingdra/Lapras for a similar fatmon that can DD

paintseagull

pink wingull
is a Top Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
**!!** Mod post **!!**

I'm aiming for Wednesday evening (EDT) as the deadline everyone. I will update this post when I have it finalized.

Heatproof has been chosen as our secondary ability.

The thread will close for submissions at around (and not earlier than) 18:00 (6:00pm) EDT (15:00 PDT, 22:00 GMT) Wednesday April 29th

Good luck and please send me a PM if you have any questions about the rules! :)

*******************​

Last edited:
Final Submission

The mercury seaslug, my first design. First of all, I want to thank everyone for all of the comments and especially all of the helpful criticism. I just couldn't bring myself to love the marine iguana concept as much as this guy.

So my reasoning for the physical lean of this CaP mon is that because its made of mercury, it can solidify its metallic body to deal powerful physical impacts. As for water veil and heatproof, due to the nature of mercury, it expands rather than burns.

Time for some supplementary art:
Early design: potential shiny colors
Example of CaP 20 movement
Physical projectile attack
Dragon Dance

Last edited:

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Here's a refined sketch action pose of my Sawshark design that I did when I was experimenting with the design and getting a feel for the body shapes and lines.

I really liked the energy of the rough sketch, so I cleaned it up and will include it as supporting art. Originally, I planned to put some inks and rough coloring on this sketch, but I've just run out of time on this whole thing. I'm prepping my final submission post now.

Unsee

so smart me, enjoy book so much
is an Artist
Final Submission

Welp, here we are! Final Submissions already... gosh...

Anyway, I ended up just polishing my design up a bit from where it was. The idea had just popped into my head as a doodle in school, so I hadn't originally intended it to be based off of anything. BUT, as I said in my last progress post, I've found that it relates greatly to the urban myth of the sewer alligator. To quote what I said before,

"...it is based loosely on the urban myth of a sewer alligator (indirectly) in that there are pipes fused with its body. It can launch pressurized bursts of water from its now-weaponized pipes and easily utilize its metal-enforced, beak-like snout as a sharp weapon (as well as its claws), hence being able to function as both a physical and special attacker. Its most powerful weapon at its disposal is its tail cannon, which can both be slammed into other Pokémon (or anything, really, in general) and fire its main special attacks from.
These sewergators have become a species of themselves and moved into the cleaner oceans to live more easily (the sewer stuff has not added a Poison type to them. Rather, the addition of the pipes has caused it to develop a Steel type and therefore a Poison immunity. It does not associate itself with toxic materials)."

In terms of its complying with the parameters we have placed, I will explain ALL...

Basic Functions
  • Dragon Dance: As it is an alligator-esque being, its using Dragon Dance seems relatively justified (I mean, Pokémon like Crawdaunt and Lapras can - so who's to say this one can't?).
  • Calm Mind: An alligator has very specific and interesting hunting tactics. As most of us will probably know, they will lurk near the surface of water disguised as an inanimate object (such as a log) and patiently await the arrival of prey. They have tactics, tactics which require a calm mind, wouldn't you say? :3
Abilities
  • Water Veil: As mentioned in the explanation for Calm Mind, alligators stay just underwater when in hunting mode (or, say, battling) and prefer to stay moisturized when out of the river or lake.
  • Heatproof: The American Alligator (which the sewer myth sprang from) only lives in relatively tropical regions such as Florida, hence having adapted to warm climates. In fact, being reptiles, they bask in warmth to retain their bodily heat.
I don't have any supporting art to add yet - although time is short, I might be able to rustle something up! It's been a great run, fellow artists - good luck in CAP 21! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Final Submission

My design was inspired by the Yeti Crab (Kiwa hirsuta in particular) which is a unique crustacean that lives near deep-sea vents.
While I am currently lacking in supporting artwork, I have put some thought into reasons why this design would suit the current CAP well.

-Dragon Dance/Calm Mind: Yeti Crabs "farm" deep sea vents by waving their long, fur covered arms rhythmically over the emerging steam in order to cultivate bacteria that grows in colonies in their fur. Some refer to this as a sort of undersea dance, and the requisite patience to cultivate these vents would suit Calm Mind as well. I like to imagine CAP 20's dragon dance utilizing its claws as mockup dragon heads in order to intimidate its opponents as well.
-Water Veil/Heatproof: Although not finned as all existing Water Veil users, CAP 20 actually has a coat of flowing fur that can easily substitute in for a Water Veil mechanic. This same fur would likely provide it additional resistance to heat, which would be compounded by its thick armor on the rest of the body.
-Stats: CAP 20 leans slightly more on the bulky side, so this design reflects that as well by being stout and reserved. As CAP 20 seems to be designed to set up on an opponent, this could be flavored as CAP 20 analyzing its opponent's moves and reacting accordingly.

Other design quirks worth mentioning:
-CAP 20 is blind, since there is not enough light to make vision under the sea possible. As such, its eyes have evolved into little more than head ornaments.
-Within each of CAP 20's claws is a small steel ball. When navigating a battle, these balls ring in CAP 20's claws, creating sonic waves which CAP 20 then detects with its fur to map its position in the environment.
- The two arms located directly under CAP 20's helmet have rapid response times due to their close proximity to the brain. CAP 20 uses these to block attacks directed at its vulnerable eyes by causing them to glance off the metal claws and miss altogether.
I had a blast creating this design, even if I did have to rush the art at the last possible minute. Best of luck to all of the competitors this time around!

Final Submission

Seahorse-mon goes on a crusade in the name of Arceus. It is calm of mind when it prays to it's base 740 overlord and with not buckle when under heat, but rages like a dragon once the going gets tough, and it's faith shields it from unholy hellfires. Such as will 'o wisp. And scald.

Also dat iron head.

The design grew a little more mature to match the stats, and it now prays to Arceus to not reference Christianity too hard (thanks for that feedback Quanyails, I totally agree.)

That'll be all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)