Whimsicott [QC 1/3]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Poek97 went AWOL, so aim gave me the okay to take over. Just going to C/P from that thread to start with.

Old Thread: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/whimsicott-qc-0-3.3533173/

QC 1/3 (Leftiez)
GP 0/2

Overview
########

+ Wide choice of utility moves
+ Great ability in Prankster that makes use of said utility moves
+ Able to create tempo swings with Encore and U-Turn
+ Nice typing in Grass/Fairy allows it to switch into the likes of Keldeo, Breloom, Slowbro, Mega Gyarados, etc.
- Lackluster stats overall except speed
- No offensive presence whatsoever.
- Easy to whittle away at due to its lack of reliable recovery.

SubSeed
########
name: SubSeed
move 1: Substitute
move 2: Leech Seed
move 3: Encore
move 4: Knock Off / Moonblast
ability: Prankster
item: Leftovers
evs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
nature: Impish / Bold

Moves
========

- Subsitute allows you to dodge status and attacks, and helps you stall out turns
- Leech Seed racks up damage on opponents while keeping yourself healthy
- Encore allows you to shut down set up sweepers and lock mons into resisted attacks, which makes setting up easier and forces them out
- Knock Off removes items and generally wears down a lot of mons
- Moonblast allows you to threaten things like Keldeo, is STAB

Set Details
========

- Maximum HP and Def investment with to take on Mega Gyarados, Mega Lopunny, Breloom, etc.
- run Impish with Knock Off, Bold with Moonblast
- Prankster allows you to outrun pretty much everything
- Leftovers adds to your health regen, greater survivability throughout a match

Usage Tips
========

- checks setup sweepers like SD Gliscor, Sub CM Keldeo, SD Breloom, and DD Gyarados, since you're able to lock them into their boosting move
- Leech Seeding on predicted switches and then spamming substitute allows you to quickly wear out opposing pokemon
- Encoring mons into a resisted or setup move allows you to force out stuff you would ordinarily have no chance against, such as Mega Metagross locked into Hammer Arm or Zard Y using Focus Blast. Obv you can't switch in risk free, but once you're inside they're forced out

Team Options
========

- Whimsicott is walled by mons that aren't affected by Leech Seed. Bring checks to Grass types like Venu, Amoongus, and Ferrothorn, as they can threaten you with their secondary STAB, as well as checks to Clefable and Reuniclus, who are immune to Seed thanks to Magic Guard and can spam you out with Moonblast / Psyshock. Heatran, Zards, SpDef Gliscor, Talonflame
- goes well with defensive cores weak to set up sweepers, particularily SD Gliscor, Sub CM Keldeo, SD Breloom, and DD Gyarados

Pivot
########
name: Pivot
move 1: Encore
move 2: U-turn
move 3: Memento
move 4: Tailwind / Stun Spore / Switcheroo / Taunt
item: Lagging Tail
evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
nature: Impish

Moves
========

- Encore locks the enemy into the last move they have used. This is specially useful against set-up sweepers such as Mega Gyarados and Mega Slowbro.
- U-turn combined with Lagging Tail allows you to bring a teammate safely.
- Memento lowers the opponent's Attack and Special Attack by two stages at the cost of losing Whimsicott. This is helpful to bring a teammate for free and set-up easier.
- Tailwind doubles the speed of your team, allowing otherwise slow mons to outrun
- Stun Spore cripples anything that isn't a grass-type, and combined with Prankster it is able to paralyze fast sweepers such as Sand Rush Excadrill, Dragon Dance Mega Altaria, and Swift Swim users like Mega Swampert, Kingdra, Kabutops, Omastar. It also serves as a way to shut down naturally fast Pokemon, such as Weavile, Tornadus-T, and Mega Lopunny.
- Switcheroo allows Whimsicott to steal an opponent's item and, thanks to Lagging Tail, force it to move last in it's priority bracket
- Taunt stops non attacking moves from being used. It works well on hazard stacking teams as it stops Defog.

Set Details
========

- Maximum HP and Def investment with an Impish nature to take on Mega Gyarados, Mega Lopunny, Breloom, etc.
- However, a specially defensive spread can be used to take on Keldeo, Kingdra and Slowbro better.
- Lagging Tail so that you have slow U-turns.
- Prankster is vital for Whimsicott's success as it makes non attacking moves have priority.

Usage Tips
========

- Bring Whimsicott on something that it can take it on and proceed to use a move accordingly.
- Whimsicott is somewhat predictable, so most of the time spamming U-turn is the best idea, as it brings a teammate safely and you can scout what your opponent wants to do.
- Don't let Whimsicott go down if you need it to check something late game.

Team Options
========

- Frail and powerful pokemon such as Weavile, Gengar and Thundurus appreciates Whimsicott's ability to bring them safely.
- If running Tailwind, pokemon such as Mega Heracross, Mega Gardevoir, Mega Pinsir and Crawdaunt can turn themselves into cleaning machines, and as such, partnering Whimsicott with them is a good idea.
- if running Stun Spore, Charizard X makes for a fantastic partner, since it typically struggles against teams with weather sweepers
- Something to take on the common Flying, Fire, Steel-types that Whimsicott baits in. Terrakion can deal with the former two, while Keldeo generally fares well against the latter pair.
- this set is great for grabbing momentum, so pair it with VoltTurn mons to keep opponents on the back foot. Lando-T, Raikou, Mega Manectric, Rotom-W, and Scizor are all great options for this.

Focus Sash
########
name: Focus Sash
move 1: Taunt
move 2: Encore
move 3: Memento / Endeavor
move 4: Tailwind
item: Focus Sash
evs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
nature: Timid

Moves
========

- Taunt stops non attacking moves and it lets Whimsicott not be Taunt bait itself.
- Encore locks the enemy into the last move they have used and it prevents Whimsicott from being set-up bait.
- Memento allows to bring a teammate safely after it has done its job. It also lowers the opponents Attack and Special Attack by two stages.
- However, if Memento is not desired, Endeavor in tandem with Focus Sash allows Whimsicott to weaken a pokemon severely.
- Tailwind doubles teammates speed for 4 turns.

Set Details
========

- A Timid nature with maximum Speed investment allows Whimsicott to get its job done, as it outspeeds any Taunt user, even Prankster Thundurus.
- Rest in HP because it's not using an attacking move.
- Focus Sash combined with Prankster allows Whimsicott to use two moves minimum.

Usage Tips
========

- Lead with it and proceed to either Taunt if you think the opponent has Taunt itself or any hazard or set-up Tailwind.
- If Whimsicott hasn't gone down by the time it used Tailwind, use Memento to bring a teammate safely.
- If Whimsicott is using Endeavor, use it whenever you get attacked.
- Encore whenever the opponent uses a set-up move.

Team Options
========

- Run this with frail set up mons or multiple set up sweepers for full effect
- Usually used on full BP, so Espeon, Geomancy Smeargle, and Dual Screens Azelf are excellent teammates when used together

Other Options
########

- Grass Whistle allows you to put an opposing Pokemon to sleep, but the accuracy is terrible.

Checks & Counters
########

**Residual Damage**: Whimsicott's lack of reliable recovery means that it gets worn down quickly by hazards, status, and U-Turning out of Ferrothorn and Rock Helmet Garchomp

**Types it is weak to**: Whimsicott's mediocre attacking power leaves it defenseless against mons it can't Encore into a resisted move. As a result, switch ins with a super effective or otherwise powerful attack will force Whimsicott out.

Last edited:
- Stun Spore cripples anything that isn't a grass-type, and combined with Prankster it is able to paralyze fast sweepers such as Sand Rush Excadrill, Rock Polish Landorus, Swift Swim users like Mega Swampert, Kingdra, Kabutops, Omastar and is overall a nice move to have.
To be honest, this sounds a lot support that Zard X would appreciate. Both Sand and Rain Offense are annoying for it to deal with due to pressured by the premier offensive Pokemon on these builds quite easily. Having a soft check to Keldeo is always handy as well, and Zard X deals with most Steels that Whimsicott dislikes in return. Therefore, I would mention Zard X as a teammate for the fast support set.

To be honest, this sounds a lot support that Zard X would appreciate. Both Sand and Rain Offense are annoying for it to deal with due to pressured by the premier offensive Pokemon on these builds quite easily. Having a soft check to Keldeo is always handy as well, and Zard X deals with most Steels that Whimsicott dislikes in return. Therefore, I would mention Zard X as a teammate for the fast support set.
Good point, added
| Added a few VoltTurn mons as mentioned below
V

Last edited:

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Fast support set should include Raikou, Lando-T, these usual momentum grabbers as one example I have on one team is Lando-T, Raikou, Whimsicott, where they use their volt turning combination paired with Whimsicotts Stun Spore and Encore support to pressure opponents for Gengar and M-Gallade. So other momentum grabbers like the ones mentioned and Rotom-W can be added on.

Reymedy

ne craint personne
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hello.

I fail to see the point of a "fast support". I don't see you explaining why Whimsi should be that fast, or what it does accomplish.
I'd straight up change this set for a Sub Leech set, which I'm surprised, isn't here, as I widely consider it to be the most viable Whimsicott set and the easiest to slap onto a team, by far.
It's a rather self sufficient win condition, I ran a lot of teams with this set from SPL to ST, laddered during a suspect with it etc, and all you have to do usually is set up some hazards, and have a way to delete Clefable + switch ins to grass types.
A simple encore/moonblast or KO/sub/leech set, it allows you to check very effectively GyaradosM, Gliscor SD (back when it was everywhere), and check other common threats like Keldeo due to the very useful typing. Obviously, Encore screws up a ton of setup sweepers such as most CMers, giving you free room to play around, which is very useful if your team doesn't pack the punch to outright threaten a Manaphy for instance. I ran a physically defensive set, to check more effectively the threats I mentionned.
I think a lot of Whimsi users insist on "bringing momentum" and focus the whole set on doing that (lagging tail and shit), when Whimsi can accomplish a lot both defensively and offensively with a Leech Seed set, while still being perfectly able to grab tempo by using Encore.

I hope I helped.

PS : I'd not say that your typing allows you to deal with Lopunny.

Hello.

I fail to see the point of a "fast support". I don't see you explaining why Whimsi should be that fast, or what it does accomplish.
I'd straight up change this set for a Sub Leech set, which I'm surprised, isn't here, as I widely consider it to be the most viable Whimsicott set and the easiest to slap onto a team, by far.
It's a rather self sufficient win condition, I ran a lot of teams with this set from SPL to ST, laddered during a suspect with it etc, and all you have to do usually is set up some hazards, and have a way to delete Clefable + switch ins to grass types.
A simple encore/moonblast or KO/sub/leech set, it allows you to check very effectively GyaradosM, Gliscor SD (back when it was everywhere), and check other common threats like Keldeo due to the very useful typing. Obviously, Encore screws up a ton of setup sweepers such as most CMers, giving you free room to play around, which is very useful if your team doesn't pack the punch to outright threaten a Manaphy for instance. I ran a physically defensive set, to check more effectively the threats I mentionned.
I think a lot of Whimsi users insist on "bringing momentum" and focus the whole set on doing that (lagging tail and shit), when Whimsi can accomplish a lot both defensively and offensively with a Leech Seed set, while still being perfectly able to grab tempo by using Encore.

I hope I helped.

PS : I'd not say that your typing allows you to deal with Lopunny.
The support set came from here, the old thread. Speed is to tie with Starmie and Raikou, I guess. I'm not certain about that set either, pretty much everything on here right now got c/ped from the old thread and I really need to fix some things. I'll replace it with the Seeder set. Thanks for the input.

EDIT: Putting this back into WIP until I get a chance to make sure I'm happy with the whole thing Made a few changes, moving back to QC

Last edited:

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
The item listed for SubSeed is Focus Sash. I presume it's supposed to be Leftovers.

On the Focus Sash set you may want to consider Nature Power (which turns into Tri Attack and has priority thanks to Prankster) to KO opponents brought down to 1 HP from Endeavor.

The Life orb set works like a charm.

I am surprised it is not featured here when this thing is terrifing against offensive teams. Most of the time, you don't have to think twice just click on Moonblast and see your opponant loses a Pokemon. In fact you have a Starmie@LO with a priority on good support moves and makes Thundurus jealous (God, Stun spore fucks Excadrill).
Even Psychic and Hurricane are gifts from god to lets this motherfucker deals with M-Venusaur.

Whimsicott
Ability: Prankster / Infiltrator
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 29 HP / 30 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Moonblast
- Energy Ball / Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire] / Hurricane / U-turn
- Encore / Memento / Tailwind / Stun spore / Psychic / Hurricane / U-turn / Taunt / Knock Off

Energy ball gives you crucial (or near) OHKO (Azumarill, Slowbro, Rotom-W). Giga drain is always a good stuff in stead of its poor SpA.
HP Fire lets Whimsicott hits steel-type Pokemon. Hurricane can be use in 3th slot if you have Politoed in your team. Otherway U-turn works well when it's paired with Encore or Tailwind.
In 4th slot, whatever choice you make godmiscott will transforms your move in a miracle button. Prise our lord.

Some calcs:

Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Latios: 265-312 (88.6 - 104.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Garchomp: 330-390 (92.4 - 109.2%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO
Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Keldeo: 312-369 (96.5 - 114.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Energy Ball vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-W: 257-304 (84.8 - 100.3%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
Energy Ball vs. 88 HP / 0 SpD Azumarill: 328-385 (90.3 - 106%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Giga Drain vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Starmie: 260-307 (99.2 - 117.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Psychic vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Gengar: 229-270 (88.4 - 104.2%) -- 25% chance to OHKO
Psychic vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Venusaur: 156-185 (42.8 - 50.8%) -- 95.7% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
Psychic vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Scolipede: 244-289 (75.5 - 89.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Hurricane vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Venusaur: 190-224 (52.1 - 61.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Hurricane vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Talonflame: 149-177 (50.1 - 59.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
Hurricane vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Scolipede: 299-354 (92.5 - 109.5%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)