DOU Doubles Winter Seasonal Round 9 [Losers' Only Round]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stratos

Banned deucer.
BROADCAST OF THE ABOVE MATCHES

they were really damn good matches. Props to Tokyo Tom for playing like a goddamn inmate, and U-turn for not playing poorly himself.

Sorry for not announcing the time, but I also didn't know when it would happen basically until it did.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
+KyleCole:who gave u this team Tokyo Tom?
+KyleCole: was it arcitc?
+KyleCole: arctic**
★Tokyo Tom: yeah it's arctics
+KyleCole: i made this lol

we made that team TOGETHER and now you're claiming it as your own when you use it less? I am ashamed

makiri

My vast and supreme will shall be done!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
ggs

To reiterate, I'm no longer participating in Smogon Doubles. Pwnemon is the worst tier leader I've ever seen. He probably couldn't lead someone out of a wet paper bag. He can't run tournaments fairly, doesn't follow the own deadlines he sets, arbitrary gives activity wins off of week old VMs. He also doesn't know when to shut the fuck up. I've never seen someone talk so much and so ignorantly in battles in my life. Any battle that happens to have him in it is instantly ruined by the inane ramblings of a 13 year old. Instead of the battlers putting on a showcase Pwnemon has to become the center of attention. This may be the primary reason I no longer want to participate here, if I play a Smogon doubles battle I know he is going to magically show up with some mindless rambling.

Doubles players should be asking themselves "why do we tolerate Pwnemon?" Find yourselves a better leader, someone who doesn't cave into pressure when voting for suspects (Salamence vote immediately springs to mind) or does the things I outlined above. You can do better as a metagame, you are being held back by a man child.

ggs

To reiterate, I'm no longer participating in Smogon Doubles. Pwnemon is the worst tier leader I've ever seen. He probably couldn't lead someone out of a wet paper bag. He can't run tournaments fairly, doesn't follow the own deadlines he sets, arbitrary gives activity wins off of week old VMs. He also doesn't know when to shut the fuck up. I've never seen someone talk so much and so ignorantly in battles in my life. Any battle that happens to have him in it is instantly ruined by the inane ramblings of a 13 year old. Instead of the battlers putting on a showcase Pwnemon has to become the center of attention. This may be the primary reason I no longer want to participate here, if I play a Smogon doubles battle I know he is going to magically show up with some mindless rambling.

Doubles players should be asking themselves "why do we tolerate Pwnemon?" Find yourselves a better leader, someone who doesn't cave into pressure when voting for suspects (Salamence vote immediately springs to mind) or does the things I outlined above. You can do better as a metagame, you are being held back by a man child.
It's k dude no one wanted you here anyway :)

Tokyo Tom

Somewhere between psychotic and iconic
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
ggs

I fully understand why you resonate so much with Madara. I never interacted with you much, but your story is a tear jerker. You being a Doubles OU player will never change your legacy, you are one of the best to ever play the game. I have a newfound motivation for Doubles Seasonal, and I hope you feel free of any curse that has been overbearing you all this time. Sleep easy.

13ulbasaur

* It seems to be nervous about fighting.
is an Artist Alumnus
I honestly want to know what Pwnemon gave an activity win(s) to to make this happen? Like, I don't want to be mean, I'm just not very well versed in tourns and whatnot and the curiosity/confusion as to what went wrong is killing me. and besides that, isn't it a good thing to let people know what they did wrong so that they can better themselves next time?

Last edited:
ggs

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I honestly want to know what Pwnemon gave an activity win(s) to to make this happen? Like, I don't want to be mean, I'm just not very well versed in tourns and whatnot and the curiosity/confusion as to what went wrong is killing me. and besides that, isn't it a good thing to let people know what they did wrong so that they can better themselves next time?
The short answer is that he didn't.
The long answer is that he did not.

Braverius

snowls
is a Past SPL Champion
well if we're going to speak out,

at least he doesn't throw personal attacks at people to push a suspect in his desired direction and get a pass because he's friends with the higher ups

at least he doesn't actually invest himself in flaming people and accuse people of doing everything they think they did wrong because if they did one thing wrong, they did everything wrong

at least he isn't so incompetent at controlling his actions that he expects other people to tell him to stop acting up after he acts up

and at least he isn't proud of himself because he believes that he's getting to be a tier leader because he's a self-proclaimed bitch

i mean i get that it's irritating at times, paul, but why is this an issue now and the bullshit we dealt with before wasn't? what we had before was much worse and while it doesn't excuse whatever awful thing pwnemon did, being a giant piece of shit and being proud of it is a lot worse than him being annoying and making uninvested remarks at people, so i'm not sure why this is an issue and other stuff wasn't. i've had him pm me and ask me how to treat people better and he actually has made some efforts in that. i don't know if you two ever talked in pm about this or not, but this is kind of strange since he's never mentioned anything to me before either. i'm guessing the "who you're friends with" thing is a big part of this and i think you're polishing a turd in that regard.

yeah pwnemon is super annoying in games and needs to shut his yapper and he should probably learn that from this if anything. i think taking no advice from that post is a bad idea because you do have a few fair points, but i'm not sure exactly what was so egregious that made you so mad here that hasn't been instigated by you / who you associate with as well.

makiri

My vast and supreme will shall be done!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
The short answer is that he didn't.
The long answer is that he did not.
Example 1: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/official-doubles-winter-seasonal-round-6.3533969/

Edgar vs JODY_HiGHROLLER

Pwnemon ended the round about 2 1/2 hours early. Edgar was given the win. JODY_HiGHROLLER was in contact with Edgar, but Pwnemon decided to award a win regardless to Edgar. Edgar was on irc and Showdown during the remaining 2 1/2 hours but cited that he was just messing around and not playing seriously and didn't want to battle at that time. No extension was awarded despite extensions previously given and have been given since that point. Why was no extension given to 2 players who were actively trying to battle? Edgar is a well known player and I don't want to cite top player privilege here, but there was some serious issues here especially ending a round 2 hours early with incomplete battles.

I can continue to cite examples, but the number of issues with this one call alone show how incompetent he in fact is.

well if we're going to speak out,

at least he doesn't throw personal attacks at people to push a suspect in his desired direction and get a pass because he's friends with the higher ups

at least he doesn't actually invest himself in flaming people and accuse people of doing everything they think they did wrong because if they did one thing wrong, they did everything wrong

at least he isn't so incompetent at controlling his actions that he expects other people to tell him to stop acting up after he acts up

and at least he isn't proud of himself because he believes that he's getting to be a tier leader because he's a self-proclaimed bitch

i mean i get that it's irritating at times, paul, but why is this an issue now and the bullshit we dealt with before wasn't? what we had before was much worse and while it doesn't excuse whatever awful thing pwnemon did, being a giant piece of shit and being proud of it is a lot worse than him being annoying and making uninvested remarks at people, so i'm not sure why this is an issue and other stuff wasn't. i've had him pm me and ask me how to treat people better and he actually has made some efforts in that. i don't know if you two ever talked in pm about this or not, but this is kind of strange since he's never mentioned anything to me before either. i'm guessing the "who you're friends with" thing is a big part of this and i think you're polishing a turd in that regard.

yeah pwnemon is super annoying in games and needs to shut his yapper and he should probably learn that from this if anything. i think taking no advice from that post is a bad idea because you do have a few fair points, but i'm not sure exactly what was so egregious that made you so mad here that hasn't been instigated by you / who you associate with as well.
I know what you're talking about and while it may seem like I gave them a free pass, I in fact did not. Pwnemon will make good gestures on occasion, but then will flip out over nothing minutes later. I said I would work with him to help doubles grow and bring it in the right direction. He initially agreed but then days later he goes back to doing more dumb shit. I'm not the only one unhappy with the culture surrounding Smogon Doubles. It has become a toxic community and just after posting my post above I got several people who were involved in Smogon Doubles who recently quit because of the community surrounding it. Outsiders are not welcome here. That hate towards VGC players in SPL is a prime example. Hell in the game that I just played I was complained about for getting a bunch of flinches from Rock Slide. I went back and saw in fact my opponent has more flinches from Rock Slide, but because I'm the outsider and the VGC player I am the one who was insanely lucky to get some flinches. One of the players I talked to about this even said he was scared to even use the move Rock Slide for fear of getting a flinch and cursed at by the "in crowd of Smogon doubles." The toxicity may have began from the person you are talking about but it still continues to this day with Pwnemon helping lead that charge. Instead of stopping the inane toxicity he helps further and cultivate it through his actions, especially in battle chats. Pwnemon told me he is tired of people shitting on this metagame and I originally agreed with him that it is unfortunate, but over time I've come to see that a lot of it rests on his shoulders and his attitude towards people who don't play doubles.

Last edited:

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
does this mean my job description is "completely overshadow Stratos and only take advice from the masses while putting down the people who regularly play the meta"

because if so I'm freeing Mega Mence, giving makiri and pookar aops in #doubles, and forum banning literally everybody in the playerbase

also I'm actually going to host the next seasonal if it's okay with TDs; Stratos okayed it

now could somebody lock this thread before it gets further out of hand? The damage to both sides has been done, no need to keep going

Stratos

Banned deucer.
Example 1: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/official-doubles-winter-seasonal-round-6.3533969/

Edgar vs JODY_HiGHROLLER

Pwnemon ended the round about 2 1/2 hours early. Edgar was given the win. JODY_HiGHROLLER was in contact with Edgar, but Pwnemon decided to award a win regardless to Edgar. Edgar was on irc and Showdown during the remaining 2 1/2 hours but cited that he was just messing around and not playing seriously and didn't want to battle at that time. No extension was awarded despite extensions previously given and have been given since that point. Why was no extension given to 2 players who were actively trying to battle? Edgar is a well known player and I don't want to cite top player privilege here, but there was some serious issues here especially ending a round 2 hours early with incomplete battles.

I can continue to cite examples, but the number of issues with this one call alone show how incompetent he in fact is.
You're right that that was a mistake. However, the situation is not so simple as that they were actively trying to play the match. JODY HiGHROLLER had missed the scheduled time for friday and when Edgar tried to reschedule, he never responded. Only after seeing that he got an activity loss did JODY's ass actually kick into gear and he tried to play the match (this was neither the first time, nor the last time, he did this). I had gotten in the habit of posting rounds a couple hours before the customary midnight Sunday deadline because i have to get up fairly early on Monday, and yeah it bit me in the ass this time. Which is why I changed the deadline to 9:59 PM after this incident, having learned from my error. For my part, I did tell edgar that if he continued to refuse to battle JODY i would coinflip the match, which I did (and it came up in edgar's favor). I should not have posted activity decisions before the deadline, but it was a 100% clear win in edgar's favor when i DID post them, I handled it as best I could once the situation changed, and I learned from my mistake.

I know what you're talking about and while it may seem like I gave them a free pass, I in fact did not. Pwnemon will make good gestures on occasion, but then will flip out over nothing minutes later. I said I would work with him to help doubles grow and bring it in the right direction. He initially agreed but then days later he goes back to doing more dumb shit. I'm not the only one happy with the culture surrounding Smogon Doubles. It has become a toxic community and just after posting my post above I got several people who were involved in Smogon Doubles who recently quit because of the community surrounding it. Outsiders are not welcome here. That hate towards VGC players in SPL is a prime example. Hell in the game that I just played I was complained about for getting a bunch of flinches from Rock Slide. I went back and saw in fact my opponent has more flinches from Rock Slide, but because I'm the outsider and the VGC player I am the one who was insanely lucky to get some flinches. One of the players I talked to about this even said he was scared to even use the move Rock Slide for fear of getting a flinch and cursed at by the "in crowd of Smogon doubles." The toxicity may have began from the person you are talking about but it still continues to this day with Pwnemon helping lead that charge. Instead of stopping the inane toxicity he helps further and cultivate it through his actions, especially in battle chats. Pwnemon told me he is tired of people shitting on this metagame and I originally agreed with him that it is unfortunate, but over time I've come to see that a lot of it rests on his shoulders and his attitude towards people who don't play doubles.
The incident with the player who threw his match was incredibly unfortunate, but I talked to him about it, apologized for how my friends behaved, and told off the people involved. I don't log all my IRC interactions, but he explicitly told me that there were no hard feelings between us and it wasn't my fault. You can ask him for confirmation if you want.

You say I flip out over nothing, but a sustained history of you and pookar trolling me in #doubles isn't "nothing." After we talked and you agreed to help me out, I legitimately felt good about our relationship with each other, and then a couple days later you and pookar were back to making snippy remarks at me in #doubles. Yes I may have overreacted, but it's not like i went hunting for ways to sour the relationship between the two of us. I don't enjoy being in a blood feud with someone massively more popular and influential than myself. I'd have to be retarded to. And again, I learned from my mistake. After that incident I always asked the channel SOPs for permission before retaliating against you and pookar in any way.

The VGC thing is also not as simple as you paint it to be. My problem was never with the VGCers themselves; ffs I helped Zach, Gavin, and Snakes test over the course of the season. My problem was with the fact that the managers valued VGC accomplishments more highly than DOU accomplishments when deciding who to pick. The way that I (and other DOU players) saw this situation being rectified was dedicated DOU players getting the best records in SPL, so we all cheered for them. I'd like to point out that you yourself said the managers had no reason to draft based on DOU accomplishments when Zach and Biosci got the best records the previous season.

As for the rock slides in your battle with hashtag, all I said initially was "rock slide is a good move." Not until after you complained about Hashtag using Skymin did I point out that that was pretty hypocritical since you got some important rock slide flinches game 1. Whether he got rock slide flinches as well isn't really relevant to that.

I'm not perfect I'm just someone trying to do his best to help grow his community, something which I honestly have put way too much of my life into. I love to talk during battles (seriously on the ladder i'll often say something like every other turn even if my opponent is entirely unresponsive), and I know that this has pissed people off in the past and I'm trying to stop myself from doing it (legit, ask anyone else in doubles council, this is something ive tried to force myself not to do in the past). You'll notice if you watch yourself vs hashtag I said one line before game 3 ended and it was telling meloetta to shush. I know I still have a long way to go when it comes to being a good user, but I'm trying to improve, and my number one goal with everything I do is to help grow Doubles OU. The last thing I want is more trouble with you or anyone else. But again, if you ask any of my friends in this community, your and pookar's constantly being assholes to me has made me hate this job and probably shaved years off of my life with all the stress.

I don't expect this'll change your mind, but I wanted to defend myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)