ORAS NU Dancing Dino and Frens (peaked #2 on suspect and #1 on ladder)

Introduction
Hey, I'm FearTheCow. I usually don't post in any forums (lurking ftw), but I decided to try to get involved in the community. I play most tiers, but right now NU is my favorite. I've tried to make tons of teams and this one is by far my best so i thought I'd share it. I peaked #2 while getting reqs for suspect (alt is ButtholeSald) and #1 on the regular ladder while using this team. With typlosion and camel banned I thought I would showcase my team.

Double Dance Rhydon is a beast, so I started with that
+

Rhydon likes free switches so I added a u-turn core+healing wish is cool too

Kanga also likes free switches so i added him

rocks 'n defogg 'nuff said

I noticed I was super weak to fire and sneasel so yama was added​

The Team

Rhydon @ Eviolite
Ability:Lightning Rod
Evs: 252 Atk/4 SpD/252 Spe
Adamant Nature
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge
-Rock Polish
-Swords Dance
Not much to say here, standard moves and evs. Edgequake for STAB hits really hard off of an adamant naure. Swords Dance to break things. Rock Polish to out speed stuff. Most of the time I just use Rock Polish late game and sweep, but swords dancing early game is great to break walls for the team. Healing wish Mespirit is great for supporting Rhydon allowing it to kill stuff early game and come back healthy for a sweep.

Scyther @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Aerial Ace
- Knock Off
- Quick Attack
I love choice banded scyther, it hits like a truck and provides momentum for the team. It helps get in Rhydon safely as well as wear down teams. Evs are obvious. U-turn is for momentum. Ace is to hit stuff hard super effectivly like yama a vileploom. Knock off cause 6th gen. And Quick Attack is for priority and getting off chip damage on faster threats. Scyther synergizes well with Rhydon, as most Scyther switch ins, such as mantine and garbodor are free kills for Rhydon.

Mesprit @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Adamant Nature
- Zen Headbutt
- U-turn
- Trick
- Healing Wish
I've never been a fan of special scarf Mesprit, so I went physical. I'm adamant because Mesprit doesn't outspeed the most common scarf users like rotom forms. Thus my loss of speed doesn't really matter, and the power is really nice. Evs are standard, max speed to speed tie other adamant Mesprits (like that actually matters lol). U-turn is once again for chip damage and momentum. Zen Headbutt is Stab, hits fairly hard. Trick to help break walls. Healing Wish to bring back Threats. This move as I said works great with Rhydon, but it also can help any member of the team, as they all can be be used in both the late game and early game.

Kangaskhan (F) @ Silk Scarf
Ability: Scrappy
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Double-Edge
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch
Kanga is a mon I really like. It hits hard with Silk Scarf and is fairly bulky. I run Adamant max att for power. Max speed is to out run other Kangas that run more bulk. Fake out is for chip damage (a theme of this team), and priority. Double-Edge is for power. Earthquake is to hit Garbodor, because Scyther loves having that worn down. Sucker Punch is for more priority. I use Kanga very recklessly early game to break teams for my other physical sweepers.

Prinplup @ Eviolite
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Stealth Rock
- Defog
- Toxic
Prinplup is just amazing. It is surprisingly bulky, capable of taking hits from the numerous physical threats in the tier. I originally ran SpDef for fire spam, but after testing physically def proved way better. Ever team needs Rocks so heres Rocks. I have a scyther, so defog support is nice. Scald for Burns. Toxic for set up sweepers. Prinplup works great as it means that pretty much any game I have control over hazards. More often than not I end up defoging and not getting up my own rocks, but thats ok. My team functions pretty well even without rocks up.

Hariyama @ Assault Vest
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 212 SpD / 44 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Fake Out Thunderpunch
- Bullet Punch
Yama was added to combat both sneasel and firspam. Max att because I like powerful Yama over the uber bulky sets. 44 in speed to creep other yamas. The rest in SpD because its my initial switch into fires. Close Combat hits really hard. Knock off because once again 6th gen. Fake out for priority and chip damage. Bullet punch for the same reasons. Yama is great because it patched my biggest weaknesses and provided an other hard hitter to wear down walls. Also it is the only thing on my team that can reliably deal with ferroseed. Changing Fake out to thunderpunch, as suggested by marilli, in order to hit Mantine and Pelipper.

Conclusion
Welp, that's my team. I really like that it's almost all physical because each member can break walls for each other. Even though the fire lords have been banned, I think this team will still work pretty well. I loved using this team, so I hope you all give it a try. Let me know how it works in the current meta and if you have any suggestions be free to let me know. Have a great day!
Kangaskhan (F) @ Silk Scarf
Ability: Scrappy
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Double-Edge
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch

Hariyama @ Assault Vest
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 212 SpD / 44 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Thunderpunch
- Bullet Punch

Scyther @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Aerial Ace
- Knock Off
- Quick Attack

Rhydon @ Eviolite
Ability: Lightning Rod
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Rock Polish

Prinplup @ Eviolite
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Stealth Rock
- Defog
- Toxic

Mesprit @ Choice Scarf
Adamant Nature
- Zen Headbutt
- U-turn
- Trick
- Healing Wish

Attachments

Last edited:
Hey Dude.
Really nice team you have here, and certainly, trying to find an improvement for it is the extremely difficult from my point of view. I can certainly establish why you peaked where you did with this team, and not only this, but around a cool mon.

I do have a change to suggest to you, which I think can improve the viability of this team even further, especially with seis destined to leave, you have the right mixture of mons to make this team even better for the future:
My change has come about due to your weakness to vileplume and Mantine. Both seem quite annoying to deal with since you don't really have a proper switch in, that can threaten them out immediately. Both had to be continually worn down in order to be killed, since nothing had the potential to switch in and kill instantly.
As a result I'm going to suggest to you a Specially Mixed Mesprit with Scarf > Physically Offensive Mesprit with scarf.
The main utility this offers is due to those afformentioned weakness' in my head, and found out that a specially offensive set actually is preferred preferred with this team especially with the fact that prinplup is your only special attacker :s. We decided to go with a - def nature because realistically, you are switching mes in on sludge bombs and scalds more so than taking fake outs
Mesprit @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Psychic
- Thunderbolt
- U-Turn
- Healing Wish

I wish you all the best in your future endeavours
~HJAD

Hey Dude.
Really nice team you have here, and certainly, trying to find an improvement for it is the extremely difficult from my point of view. I can certainly establish why you peaked where you did with this team, and not only this, but around a cool mon.

I do have a change to suggest to you, which I think can improve the viability of this team even further, especially with seis destined to leave, you have the right mixture of mons to make this team even better for the future:
My change has come about due to your weakness to vileplume and Mantine. Both seem quite annoying to deal with since you don't really have a proper switch in, that can threaten them out immediately. Both had to be continually worn down in order to be killed, since nothing had the potential to switch in and kill instantly.
As a result I'm going to suggest to you a Specially Mixed Mesprit with Scarf > Physically Offensive Mesprit with scarf.
The main utility this offers is due to those afformentioned weakness' in my head, and found out that a specially offensive set actually is preferred preferred with this team especially with the fact that prinplup is your only special attacker :s. We decided to go with a - def nature because realistically, you are switching mes in on sludge bombs and scalds more so than taking fake outs
Mesprit @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Psychic
- Thunderbolt
- U-Turn
- Healing Wish

I wish you all the best in your future endeavours
~HJAD
Thanks for the rate! I've actually used mixed Mesprit before in a different version of the team and replaced it with the physical set. On that version I found a a powerful u-turn better than coverage, but with this version I haven't actually tested mixed Mesprit. On this team, I think you may be right about the special set. I'll test it out some time and let you know what I think about it. Thanks for the suggestion!

Edit: I added thunderpunch on Yama so tbolt mesprit is no longer neccessary. Great idea though!

Last edited:

Sweet Jesus

Neal and Jack and me, absent lovers...
Great team, not much to say though I would consider going jolly with kanga so you can fake out vivillion's sash and take him down before he puts something to sleep (you can still fake it though).

Great team, not much to say though I would consider going jolly with kanga so you can fake out vivillion's sash and take him down before he puts something to sleep (you can still fake it though).
Thanks for the suggestion, but I find the switch from Adamant to jolly khan only helps with vivillion. I'd rather have the power than a better matchup against one mon. But feel free to use jolly if you choose to. Its just my personal preference.

hey FearTheCow really nice team and congrats on the ladder peak! There's not really a lot to change here as the team looks p solid as is, the only 3 things I see is that Ferroseed walls 5/6ths of your team, and that if Prinplup gets worn down (which is bound to happen) Klinklang can be a massive threat late game, setting up on choice-locked Scyther or Mesprit, and if Curse Quag manages to avoid trick from mesprit and toxic from Prinp it pretty much 6-0's you.

Fortunately there's an easy change to make and that is to change Mesprit from Scarf to 3 Attacks LO. I don't really agree with the change to special scarf because it doesnt help with any of the mons that give this team trouble that I mentioned above. 3 Attacks LO can help deal with all of the aformentioned threats, and even chew a +1 gear grind from Klinklang and do 60-70 with HP Fire. Late game Samurott is also a problem, luckily the specific spread I'm going to recommend outspeeds Jolly Samurott and can OHKO it after rocks with energy ball. Cool team and I hoped I helped!

upload_2015-4-25_15-13-34.png

Mesprit @ Life Orb | Levitate
76 HP / 252 SpAtk / 180 Spe | Timid
Psyshock | Hidden Power [Fire] | Energy Ball | Healing Wish

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
Hi!

Good team here! Most changes you could make are personal preference stuff that come with a give-and-take, so take em for what it is.

One thing you can try is 84+ Speed EVs on Hariyama to outspeed Tangela, and Knock it off before you get slept, and Tangela is a pretty big nuisance to your Rhydon, Kanga, etc and you can't even chip it down because of its ability. If you think the loss of bulk is too big, you can take some EVs off of attack, but as I said, depends on personal preference. 84 outspeeds 0 speed Tangela, but people run at least 4-8 EVs in speed so you might want to take that into account.

Second I would have also tried special Scarf Mesprit because it gives you option to take Energy Ball to hit opposing Quagsire more effectively, or Hidden Power Fire vs. Ferroseed. Another thing that could be tried was Thunderpunch on Yama to beat Pelipper and Mantine. Especially if mantine creeps adamant Rhydon, as they all should, you have a fair bit of trouble vs. it. I guess Mantine will be less common, so it might be OK to sacrifice that matchup. I feel 2 fake outs aren't necessary and I feel you don't need both at all times, but I guess that's personal preference, too.

Hi!

Good team here! Most changes you could make are personal preference stuff that come with a give-and-take, so take em for what it is.

One thing you can try is 84+ Speed EVs on Hariyama to outspeed Tangela, and Knock it off before you get slept, and Tangela is a pretty big nuisance to your Rhydon, Kanga, etc and you can't even chip it down because of its ability. If you think the loss of bulk is too big, you can take some EVs off of attack, but as I said, depends on personal preference. 84 outspeeds 0 speed Tangela, but people run at least 4-8 EVs in speed so you might want to take that into account.

Second I would have also tried special Scarf Mesprit because it gives you option to take Energy Ball to hit opposing Quagsire more effectively, or Hidden Power Fire vs. Ferroseed. Another thing that could be tried was Thunderpunch on Yama to beat Pelipper and Mantine. Especially if mantine creeps adamant Rhydon, as they all should, you have a fair bit of trouble vs. it. I guess Mantine will be less common, so it might be OK to sacrifice that matchup. I feel 2 fake outs aren't necessary and I feel you don't need both at all times, but I guess that's personal preference, too.
Thanks for the suggestion on the Hariyama spread. I don't much mind being out-sped by Tangela since I like the bulk and the power, plus its fairly uncommon anyway. I will, however, replace fake out with thunder punch. This wil patch up my weakness to mantine/pelipper without costing a moveslot on Mesprit. About the moveslot on a Mesprit: I really like the idea of having energy ball or hp fire. Unfortunately I find that im left even weaker to these mons depending on the move I choose. I actually prefer trick bc it helps me beat both of these as well as other bulky mons. Thanks for the suggestion, but I prefer physical Mesprit for the better overall match ups.

Last edited:
hey FearTheCow really nice team and congrats on the ladder peak! There's not really a lot to change here as the team looks p solid as is, the only 3 things I see is that Ferroseed walls 5/6ths of your team, and that if Prinplup gets worn down (which is bound to happen) Klinklang can be a massive threat late game, setting up on choice-locked Scyther or Mesprit, and if Curse Quag manages to avoid trick from mesprit and toxic from Prinp it pretty much 6-0's you.

Fortunately there's an easy change to make and that is to change Mesprit from Scarf to 3 Attacks LO. I don't really agree with the change to special scarf because it doesnt help with any of the mons that give this team trouble that I mentioned above. 3 Attacks LO can help deal with all of the aformentioned threats, and even chew a +1 gear grind from Klinklang and do 60-70 with HP Fire. Late game Samurott is also a problem, luckily the specific spread I'm going to recommend outspeeds Jolly Samurott and can OHKO it after rocks with energy ball. Cool team and I hoped I helped!

View attachment 40906
Mesprit @ Life Orb | Levitate
76 HP / 252 SpAtk / 180 Spe | Timid
Psyshock | Hidden Power [Fire] | Energy Ball | Healing Wish
While I agree that I have a weakness to ferroseed and Quag, I find scarf on Mesprit more valuable. I really like having a way to reliably check sneasel in a pinch, as well as out speed things in general. Without scarf Mesprit the team is pretty slow. I also find these two mons are able to both be beat by trick Mesprit if need be. I have tried out your life orb set and it works really well. I just like scarf more to be honest, as without scarf I lose a sneasel check. Thanks for the idea though!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)