Ladder Anything Goes

And You Think Swagger Klefkis Are Bad? Try Bright Powder Snow Clock Froslass With Hail And Double Team. After A Couple Of Double Teams, Keeping The Hail Up This Thing Has More Than A 100% Chance To Evade The Attack(Ok Well Its Really A 30% Chance For You To Miss From Opponents Lowered Accuracy And A 70+% Chance To Evade With Higher Evasiveness)

Hi there. So finally after some convincing and stuff, I'd figure to share some insights in the AG meta. Time to leave my two cents, eh?

So first, let me share my insights on the ever-so-deadly Keyspam. I've been trudging along the thread and found Numel as a check. Now, to alleviate this, I'd like to vouch for the viability of Magic Bounce users like Espeon (the Mega slots should rather be used on MRay imo) and Magic Coat users like, say Deoxys-S and Smeargle. Now, the Mega I found most usable for this purpose is Mega Diancie with some Steel-type resists and all, as Mega Diancie provides you with an answer to Mega Rayquaza. The Mega slot could be used to counter this playstyle, so maybe that's up to preference.

Second is, the Smog webzine advocates the mention of Arceus spam, meaning 5 Arceus and the godly Mega Rayquaza. Let me share that this playstyle has pretty much no counters and hard stops if you pack the right coverage, as you can run things like EKiller on one variant, and maybe a special-attacking Arceus on the other. I like this playstyle too, as it brings massive uncertainty and coverage to the user, as well as countering the would-be counters. I'd love to see this style grow.

Third, the Evasion x BP chains I'm hearing about. I'd say to take down these teams, pack something like, say Klefki or Prankster Sableye. Or maybe some heavily offensive Pokemon like Mega Rayquaza, even. Suggestions may be things like, Safeguard support and other stuff like Haze Darkrai and Perish Song Arceus and Murkrow.

I hope I shared some insights and stuff as to deal with common styles and stuff. I guess I'll linger around to see how the metagame develops with the help of the users here. Cheers! :toast:

Are people still using Numel? You'd think they learned their lesson when keyspam teams started packing freaking HP Water, but I guess not.

Why? 1. Sheer Cold Is Already An OHKO, So Choice Scarf To Boost It Isn't Needed. And If Its Choiced Whats The Point In Running Sleep Talk? You Would Be Locked Into Another Move By Time Your Put To Sleep. Leftovers Is A Better Option, And If Your Running Sleep Talk Rest Is Obviously Needed
Choice Scarf only boosts speed, not accuracy or damage. Sleep Talk is there for when you switch it in to a Darkrai or a Smeargle (or some other sleep user) expecting Dark Void or Spore respectively. Leftovers Kyogre sets exist that utilize Rest and Sleep Talk, but they aren't necessary for OHKO spam.

Also, good job quoting a post over 4 months old from the first page of this thread.

Last edited:

Da Pizza Man

Pizza Time
is a Pre-Contributor
Choice Scarf only boosts speed, not accuracy or damage. Sleep Talk is there for when you switch it in to a Darkrai or a Smeargle (or some other sleep user) expecting Dark Void or Spore respectively. Leftovers Kyogre sets exist that utilize Rest and Sleep Talk, but they aren't necessary for OHKO spam.

Also, good job quoting a post over 4 months old from the first page of this thread.
I normally never say this, but this is a metagame thread for a pretty important tier, he kinda had the right to necrobump an important threat like this

I normally never say this, but this is a metagame thread for a pretty important tier, he kinda had the right to necrobump an important threat like this
When stuff like this happens I find it hard to take the tier seriously.

Jokes aside, are OHKO scarfers really better than say, Articuno or Smeargle, where you're almost guaranteed to get an OHKO after a turn of setup versus spamming and hoping for the best? Also seconding Funbox28's suggestion of a viability thread for AG.

Da Pizza Man

Pizza Time
is a Pre-Contributor

Jokes aside, are OHKO scarfers really better than say, Articuno or Smeargle, where you're almost guaranteed to get an OHKO after a turn of setup versus spamming and hoping for the best? Also seconding Funbox28's suggestion of a viability thread for AG.
I'm not saying I disagree with your point, but it is completely unfair to use a bottom ladder replay to criticize a metagame

Problem about the mind reader + sheer cold combo is that your opponent could just switch out to avoid mind reader.

Murkrow has Prankster, unlike its evolution, making it a decent SwagPlayer, while Eviolite gives it 63 in both defenses, outclassing Honchkrow.

Hoo boy, is it major. Glalie loses Moody upon mega evolving, which is fine when you plan to Refrigerate Explode on stuff, but should you get outsped...

Murkrow has Prankster, unlike its evolution, making it a decent SwagPlayer, while Eviolite gives it 63 in both defenses, outclassing Honchkrow.
Actually it has the equivalent of base 72 in both defenses after Eviolite's boost. However, I find most Swagplay users, such as Liepard or Murkrow, to be outclassed by Klefki.

Prankster Thunder Wave, excellent typing, a ton of utility in the event to want to run more than one, the sheer hilarity of dominating the ladder with a freaking key ring...how could you go wrong?

Here's a physical team of mine, wrecks faces:

Leonardo (Smeargle) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Moody
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Baton Pass
- Shift Gear
- Aqua Tail
My Baton Passer.

You're dead (Dugtrio) @ Wide Lens
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fissure
- Earthquake
- Memento
- Stealth Rock
Standard OHKO spammer

Nuke (Deoxys-Attack) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Drain Punch
- Zen Headbutt
- Power-Up Punch
If things go to shit

Gollum (Sableye) @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 100 SpD / 152 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Swagger
- Foul Play
- Fake Out
Standard Swagplay spammer

Giga Bowser (Groudon) @ Red Orb
Ability: Drought
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Precipice Blades
- Fire Punch
- Stone Edge
- Aerial Ace
Such a bulky offense, it's not even funny.

Shenron (Rayquaza) @ Choice Band
Ability: Air Lock
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Ascent
- Outrage
- V-create
- Earthquake
Perfect for the late game!

What do you guys think?

Articuno is a gimmick that probably only works pretty low ladder. It's extremely easy to stall out or straight up kill Articuno before it can do anything. In fact, the turn it uses Mind Reader can be used to set up with whatever Pokemon you have out, such as an SD on Arceus-normal. It sounds cool in theory, but I wouldn't consider it actually viable.

going through the ladder again with a modified version of an old super-stall team I made, and I'm wondering why lugia dropped in use around the top ladder, since I only see one major lugia user in replays so far (and he uses a gimmicky moody!glalie team that seems like super-easy phazing setup fodder). a scolipede/lugia to whittle down the opponent with a m-ray to play clean up still sounds like a meta-breaking core, especially with good support to bring scolipede in

p2

Banned deucer.
You're dead (Dugtrio) @ Wide Lens
Wide Lens doesn't affect the accuracy of Fissure, it's a set 30% all the time, even at +6 accuracy. Considering how frail Dugtrio is and how prevalent Extremespeed spam is in AG, I'd just sash it.

Articuno is a gimmick that probably only works pretty low ladder. It's extremely easy to stall out or straight up kill Articuno before it can do anything. In fact, the turn it uses Mind Reader can be used to set up with whatever Pokemon you have out, such as an SD on Arceus-normal. It sounds cool in theory, but I wouldn't consider it actually viable.
Eh It's been working for me so far so I'll run it til I hit a wall.

I haven't played AG for a while,but I used oblivious Slowbro with foul play,scald, recover,iron defense/magic coat. It counters klefki,and checks EK,p-don and mega ray. I use it with slowbronite,so it can stop fully physical teams,but I mega evolve rayquaza in most situations.

Chloe

is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
NUPL Champion
Has anyone else noticed an abundance of teams featuring 3 Arceus, Lugia, Kyogre and Scolipede? I see it all over the place.

Chloe

is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
NUPL Champion
Since there's not much discussion going on here, I'll try and start something.

What set do you run on your Groudon (if you use it)? E.g: some people use Rock Polish, Swords Dance. Others use roar/dragon tail. Some people use Stone Edge, others use Dragon Claw. Precipice or EQ?

Discuss.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)