ORAS OU Off With Their Heads!

Oh god...It's that guy with the Ambipom again. What's he doing now?

Haha. So what's up Smogoneers? It's been a long while since my "The Woman in Black" RMT launched back for the XY Meta. And MAN, has the game changed quite alot since then with just a few new Mega(s) and moves introduced...Amazing to say the least...

Anywho, I'm bringing to you guys a new team I literally just made last week and have used since then on Wi-Fi battles. So with the current meta-game being so ever changing what with everything be shifted here and there, I figured I'd contribute to making a new team with a new Mega; seeing as I'd been stuck on Mega Lopunny for the longest time. Diancie was a nice change of pace however, since she requires a bit more support to function efficiently. Seeing as she can effectively run a mixed set with 160/160 offenses and a base 110 speed tier, I decided to use her ability to outpace and destroy a large portion of Pokemon commonly used these days as opposed to using it as a TR set without a Mega Evo.

Anyway, the point of this team really started when I'd been using a TR team to help train my friend on the fundamentals of battling on WiFi and Diancie was brought into subject and debated upon for a while. Concluding with Mega Diancie reminding me personally of the White Queen from Alice in Wonderland. Simply because Diancie can be a bit of a diva figure when she pulls off her Mega Evo and hits like a truck. Oh...just a warning, but...I can begin to ramble...So without further delay, I introduce to you,
Off With Their Heads!!

Diancie(White Queen) @ Diancite
Clear Body >>> Magic Bounce
Naive nature
EVs: 24 Atk/ 232 SAtk/ 252 Spd
- Diamond Storm
- Moonblast
- Earth Power
- Protect

Diancie is honestly a pretty fun Pokemon to use as my Mega. Protect has proven useful for scouting and allowing her to shoot off her turn to Mega Evolve without taking any previous damage from faster threats going from a base 50 Speed to 110 Speed tier. Her severe weakness to Steel types also allows me to scout out their immediate intentions from Turn 1. Ferrothorn leads are possibly the best since they try and predict a switch and end up setting hazards upon themselves. Diamond Storm allows me to smack everything slower and possibly nab the Defensive boost; if lucky. Moonblast is a greatly powerful STAB, allowing her to remove defensive Pokemon such as Mega Sableye, Latias & Mandibuzz and offensive Pokemon like non-scarfed Keldeo & Garchomp who'd otherwise seemingly threaten the team. Earth Power was debated for Hp-Fire, but lost once I realized just how useful it was to remove threats like Bisharp, Defensive Heatran, after a bit of prior damage, & Klefki. Aegislash require only a slight bit of prior damage to remove, which is dealt with easily if using the physical set since Rotom hard checks it. Psyshock was also considered for removing Venusaur and other Poison or Fighting type threats such as CM Keldeo, Conkeldurr, Gengar and Toxicroak. Diancie plays well with Garchomp since she can come in against Dragon type threats to him and remove them. Again, she and Rotom rely on Gengar and Talonflame to help remove threats like Venusaur if they become an issue.

Garchomp (Mad Hatter) @ Choice Scarf
Rough Skin
Jolly nature
EVs: 252 Atk/ 6 SDef/ 252 Spd
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Poison Jab/ Iron Head
- Dragon Claw

Garchomp is a familiar face on almost all my teams since its previous gen unban. Its significant bulk and power made it an ideal revenge killer for Diancie. Coincidentally punishing physical attackers who come in on Diancie and expect to attack her until he switches in is quite useful. Resistances to Fire allow it to switch in to Heatran for Scizor, as well as Rotom and Talonflame depending on the situation at hand, and scare switch them away. Nonscarfed Garchomp are partially handled by Diancie when she can come in unexpectedly and safely, unless something falls fodder to it in place of her and Mad Hatter is brought to surface. Anything neutrally hit be Outrage is hit fairly hard enough to handle if Garchomp doesn't get the job done first; same as with Dragon Claw, which is used to get off some damage without the move-lock vulnerability. Earthquake is powerful STAB while also rounding off the team's coverage move cleanly against the current meta. Poison Jab is debated with Iron Head, although I enjoy the chance to cripple with Poison over the chance to flinch due to Mega Mawile being long Uber and gone...Anyway, either of them serve the same purpose in helping to remove Fairies from Garchomp's face while on the field. Azumarill was inspiration enough for me personally to run Poison Jab however.

Gengar (Cheshire) @ Life Orb
Levitate
Timid nature
EVs: 252 SAtk/ 6 Def/ 252 Spd
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Substitute
- Pain Split

Gengar is probably on of the most vital members of the team, being that he is immune to Ground type moves, which aids Diancie quite a bit, and can handle Venusaur along with help from Scizor quite effectively. Shadow Ball and Sludge Wave deal massive amounts of damage being dual STABs. Sludge Wave moreso due to its base power and it being godsend as an event move. Grass and Fairy type Pokemon are handled fairly easily with it. Ghost & Psychic types slower than Gengar are punished by Shadow Ball. SubSplit is an infamous combination when used on slower and faster Pokemon since he can sufficiently hurt himself in order to hurt more the opponent. Substitute serve as secondary scouting ability since Sucker Punch is quite popular among its checks. Gliscor that lack Knock Off and Ice Fang often finding this set quite annoying in the same sense of being trolled to death and being unable to touch him generally. An offensive set as such means Gengar can come in confidently ready to deal heavy damage to the opposing team at any time during the battle when the foe is either crippled by Rotom with burn or simply scared to take a hit in general from Gengar; allowing often a free Sub set up.

Talonflame (Lory) @ Sharp Beak
Gale Wing
Adamant nature
EVs: 252 Atk/ 6 SDef/ 252 Spd
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- U-Turn
- Roost

Talonflame is the team's secondary revenge killer along side Garchomp for Diancie, being able to easily remove threats such as Ferrothorn and Forretress from the field while needing to worry little about residual hazards on the switch in due to Scizor's ability to Defog them away. That being said, Talonflame's role is fairly self explanatory. Aside being able to remove threats, she serves as a lure for Pokemon such as Rotom and Heatran, which are thereafter scouted for their sets and removed accordingly. If anyone has an alternative set they feel can do well for the team, feel free to pitch one my way to try out. As it stands, Talonflame was originally filler but somehow expressed its worth on the team and showed that she is well deserved to be on it. U-turn is obviously there for scouting ability and Roost to heal off residual recoil during her onslaught.

Rotom-Wash (Absolem) @ Chesto Berry
Levitate
Bold nature
EVs: 252 Hp/ 232 Def/ 24 Spd
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-o-Wisp
- Rest

Rotom is that Pokemon that basically everyone has used once to get rid of fire birds or metal lava pit dog...thing. Moral of this message being, here we have yet another typical Rotom-Wash set. I chose RestChesto due to the fact the I found Rotom constantly be annoyingly burned and poisoned while of this team. The one time instant recovery has done it nicely though, to my surprise. Physical attacks are often annoyed if not cripped by WoW almost every battle. Originally added to avoid being completely taken out by Azumarill and fried chicken...I mean Talonflame, Rotom has fit well on the team as a check to set up sweepers like SashSD Garchomp, WP Dragonite, Physical varianted Aegislash, Landorus, SD Scizor and occasionally Bisharp. Rotom also serves as a scout and gains momentum through the use of Volt Switch; which completes the notorious VoltTurn tactic with aid from the obvious partners Talonflame and Scizor.

Scizor (Dormouse) @ Leftovers
Technician
Adamant nature
EVs: 236 Hp/ 200 Atk/ 76 SDef
- Bullet Punch
- U-Turn
- Roost
- Defog

Scizor has been very useful to me in he past, so it was a pleasure to see him on another team I'd built. After having debated his EVs for a couple hours, I found that the listed EVs have done me fairly well. Well enough to survive to be completely honest. What was a Careful nature became Adamant for a boost in power seeing as to how rare it is that Venusaur carry HP-Fire these days without anything short of having Sun support. Even so, Venusaur fear everything Talonflame had to offer so what they couldn't do Scizor is exactly what Talonflame could do to them. Dual STABs in Bullet Punch and U-Turn while Defog serves an obvious purpose of removing hazards mid-to-late game. Roost was added over Swords Dance a while back to help Scizor heal off all residual damages from being switched into hazards and resisted attacks. So far, it's done great for the team and probably won't be changed for some time. As either a scout or a wall, the above set serves the purpose of mainly removing hazards while also taking out anything within reason if possible in the process.

Closing Statements:

Thus far the team has done decently in battle. I have noticed a bit of struggling during battle, thought it is very often situational concerns brought up in the duration of the battle. As said previously, this team is more used on Wi-Fi, however will be used on PS as soon as the kinks and fixable niches have been worked out. Any and all points, threats, and identifiable changes to the team's sets are accepted and welcomed. Although, please do not mention a threat in your rate if not suggesting how it can be fixed. Much appreciation to those who have read my RMT and I wish you all a good days rating.

Attachments

Last edited:

AD impish john

Consumed by Darkness...
Hey strong team minor suggestion but I would change outrage or dragon claw whatever you decide but I would run Stone Edge to hit birds that you said threaten your team such as talonflame. Hope I helped.

You don't have any rockers to punish opposing switches, or answer to Scarf Drill, so I reccomomond Landorus-T > Garchomp. Lando doesn't safely switch into Heatran, but it's not like you have a bulky Water type mon to... Oh wait, you already have a Tran counter.

Mad Hatter (Landorus-Therian) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 8 SpD / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off / Stone Edge / Rock Slide / Toxic
- U-Turn

Main thing here is, Lando is an SR setter, and you need one.

Also I like your Alice in Wonderland Theme you got goin' on, pertty cool ;]

Hmmmm...Thanks for the suggestion! I've once tried Stone Edge on Garchomp with a different team however the costly accuracy overwhelmed me quite a bit. I'll give it a try again for sure. Thanks!

Defensive Landorus-T seems like a good change as well. May toy with the EVs a bit however to suit it on a more specially bulky side to mess with my opponent's head a bit. Haha. Thanks for the suggestion! I'll test it out for sure! May go for a more defensive stance with Garchomp as well to be honest, but I'll see how Lando goes. ;)

Last edited:
Solid team mate. However I see mega-lop taking out most of your team and with quick attack on lop gaining popularity, none of your pokemon can safely switch in. Your best bet would be to replace garchomp with defensive lando-t. This too isn't a solid solution as lando-t takes ~55% from a jolly ice punch from lop. Another idea I have is to replace scizor with skarm. It provides good defog support as well as it can phaze out set up sweepers. I would recommend using this set:

Skarmory @ Leftovers / Shed Shell ( shed shell is if you fear magnezone)
Ability : Sturdy
EVs : 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Whirlwind / Roost
- Defog
- Brave Bird / Iron Head
- Counter

Hope I helped glhf playing :)

Solid team. Stealth Rocks are important in OU and your team has no rocks so I suggest running bulky Excadrill instead on Scizor to give you a stealth rocker and a spinner

Excadrill @ Leftovers
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin

Solid team mate. However I see mega-lop taking out most of your team and with quick attack on lop gaining popularity, none of your pokemon can safely switch in. Your best bet would be to replace garchomp with defensive lando-t. This too isn't a solid solution as lando-t takes ~55% from a jolly ice punch from lop. Another idea I have is to replace scizor with skarm. It provides good defog support as well as it can phaze out set up sweepers. I would recommend using this set:

Impish Nature
- Whirlwind / Roost
- Defog
- Brave Bird / Iron Head
- Counter

Have never really used Skarmory since back in B/W. I'll for sure test this out as well to see how it does, although with Talonflame, they're often scared to stay in against her. Thanks for the suggestion!

Solid team. Stealth Rocks are important in OU and your team has no rocks so I suggest running bulky Excadrill instead on Scizor to give you a stealth rocker and a spinner

Excadrill @ Leftovers
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin
Hmmmm... Excadrill seems like an interesting choice to be completely honest. I've used an Excadrill on my prior Lopunny team and it's done me quite well so I'll see how this change works out with keeping Garchomp. Thanks for the suggestion!

Loving the ideas for the team guys! Testing out Landorus-T and Skarmory for the duration of the day, so please keep'em coming!! Enjoying how fun this team is so far. Haha! ;)

Last edited:

Impish Nature
- Whirlwind / Roost
- Defog
- Brave Bird / Iron Head
- Counter

This seems like a good option however I think Stealth Rocks would be better over counter because this man has no rocks plus BB gets rid of Lopunny any way.

So after two days of testing the changes, this is what I've found:

*Notes from changes:
- Lopunny aren't much of a threat at all unless Talonflame, Diancie and Garchomp have all been removed.
- In changing Garchomp to Landorus, I lose to faster water types like Keldeo and Manaphy(situationally speaking). The loss of speed means I have to at least damage them using Gengar or Talonflame before allowing them to be sacked to bring in its revenge killer; same with Excadrill.
- Losing Scizor means I lose my offensive U-turn to lore out Heatran, Gyarados and Landorus to remove them thereafter depending on my choice to switch into.
- Lack of a cleric is somewhat annoying, though is durable without on.

* What is good now with the team:
- Stealth Rocks are fairly easy to predict in battle and can't set up Turn 1 on Diancie so it's not much a concern.
- People keep thinking I'm CB Talonflame for some reason, so getting off Roost is situationally easy.

*Considerations:
- Cleric Celebi support set with Giga Drain/Heal Bell/Leech Seed/U-Turn

Any further suggestions and/or advice welcomed!

The first thing I notice on your team is that you lack SR. Stealth Rock is one of the most important staples on teambuilding, as the crucial chip damage limits the opponent's switches and at the same time pressuring Volcarona, Mega Charizard-X/Y, Talonflame, as well as other Pokemon weak to SR thus cutting their sweep short. It also breaks opposing Multiscales, Focus Sashes, and Sturdy. As such, I suggest you to try out Bulky Rocky Helmet Garchomp > Scarf Garchomp. Although you lose a Scarfer, it provides SR support your team needs, while being able to rack up more chip damage on Ferrothorn, Scizor, U-turn users (such as Landorus-T), and other physical attackers. This can be taken advantage of by Mega Diancie, allowing her to switch to Garchomp therefore chipping off their HP and potentially murder Ferrothorn and Scizor with Fire Blast.

Next, I suggest running Jolly SD Talonflame > U-turn as Talonflame appreciates the extra power boosted by Swords Dance better than being able to utilize U-turn to pivot out to its teammates and since Talonflame forces switches, it doesn't really have a hard time setting up and since many of Mega Diancie's checks (i.e. Scizor, Clefable, M-Venusaur, etc.) are coincidentally, set-up fodder for Talonflame. Also, Talonflame can break past some of its usual checks such as Thundurus and Raikou after an SD. U-turn doesn't make much of a difference, you are still able to check targets that Talonflame is supposed to. Jolly over Adamant on the SD set in order to outrun Thundurus (then murder him with a +2 Brave Bird after SR, also outprioritizes Thundurus' Thunder Wave), base 115s such as Raikou, and also Scarf Magnezone.

Third, I suggest adding Focus Blast > Pain Split on Gengar, as you're otherwise walled by Ferrothorn, Tyranitar, Bisharp, and other Dark-types. As such, you can also take a better advantage of Substitute being able to surprise some of its usual checks such as Tyranitar and Bisharp, set up a Substitute as they come in, then eradicate them with Focus Blast.

An optional change is to fit Thunder Wave on Rotom-W. The other thing I noticed is that your team lacks paralysis support, something your team might want to revenge kill faster targets and opposing set-up sweepers, including those that may potentially use Rotom-W for set-up fodder such as DD Mega Charizard-X. It does make you have to forego the utility of Will-o-Wisp or the recovery from ChestoRest, though the utility of Thunder Wave is worth trying out.

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 164 Def / 92 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Dragon Tail
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast

*92 Speed EVs creep Jolly base 70s such as Breloom and Bisharp.

Talonflame @ Sharp Beak
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 88 HP / 252 Atk / 168 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Roost

*252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe can also be used to outrun Weavile and speed tie with the opposing Talonflame.

Gengar @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 6 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 29 HP / 0 Atk
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Focus Blast
- Substitute

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers (if running WoW) / Chesto Berry (if running Pain Split)
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp / Rest
- Thunder Wave

Hope this helped, good luck.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)