Resource ORAS NU Viability Rankings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokedots

How should I live to be happy
is a Contributor Alumnus
I have one question.

What Moveset makes mawile viabile. I dont really see how its viabile besides is resistances
This belongs on the questions/answers thread, but basically Mawile is a great Pokemon because of Sheer Force and Life Orb, great STABs, great resistances, Sucker Punch, and Swords Dance when it comes to the offensive set, and because of Intimidate giving it good physical bulk, great resistances and typing in general, Stealth Rock, and utility moves in Super Fang, Baton Pass, and Taunt when it comes to the defensive sets.

Orphic

perhaps
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Okay so pretty sure this is the first one of these I've done, hope you guys agree with me.

Garbodor from A -> A+/Even S at a push.

Starting with one of the less strong reasons to move Garb up, it's natural uninvested bulk. With no Special Defense investment it hits a cool 200 Special Defense. Garbodor also boasts a respectable base 80 HP stat which paired with its natural bulk, allows it to take special hits as well as physical hits, which means Garbodor manages to carry out its role as a hazard stacker 99% of the time.
A more stronger reason to move Garbodor up, is how reliably it carries out its role on a team, and the level of ease which it does this. With minimal team support to prepare for Xatu, Garbodor always helps out it's team with layers of Hazards, even if they are removed, it's role is carried out very easily. Not to mention, the variety of common NU pokemon right now that Garbodor comes in on so easily; Hariyama, Mawile, Scyther, to set up it's hazards and then let the rest of the team continue to force switches.
Furthermore, Garbodor can always help whatever team it's on with any of it's wide movepool including coverage and utility moves. These coverage moves include Drain Punch, Seed Bomb as well as Rock Blast for threats like Seismitoad, Kangaskhan, Quagsire, Archeops and the list goes on. Additionally, Garbodor can support the team with a variety of utility moves such as Clear Smog and Haze, for pesky set up sweepers like Klinklang, Lilligant, and Malamar.
Lastly, Garbodor's ability is a blessing. Aftermath on a physical wall like Garbodor, paired with Rocky Helmet, allows Garbodor to carry out its role as a hazard setter while severely damaging physical threats and taking chunks out of opponents mons without even attacking. The support Garbodor offers to a team is second to none and I feel it should at least be A+, at a stretch S, and I'm sure some people will agree, seeing as it is the most popular mon in NUPL right now.

Mega Audino from A+ -> S

Before Mega Camerupt and Typhlosion were banned, Mega Audino was already an A+ level threat. Now that 2 very strong fire mons that resisted its fairy attacks are banned and it no longer carries the opportunity cost of not using Mega Camerupt, it is a very spammable Mega pokemon.Also,103/126/126 is a great bulk for NU standards, allowing it to take lots of hits. Its typing, normal/fairy, is also great: ghost and dragon immunity; bug and dark resistance; poison and steel weakness. So, it pairs very well with the S Rank Mesprit, tanking all hits Mesprit is weak to. Mesprit also beats the poison pokemon Mega Audino is weak to. Mega Audino is the only and strongest Mega in NU and should definitely move up a rank.

Last edited:

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Garbodor should definitely move up, but S is pushing it.

Like Orphic stated, the team support provided by Garbodor is extremely valuable and it checks a ton of important threats in the meta. However, another important piece of information that supports Garbodor is the banning of Mega Camerupt and Typhlosion. First off, Mega Camerupt was a massive nuisance for Garbodor as it was pretty much a free switch in for the beast every time Garbodor came in [yes you could predict the switch but that is still a negative for Garbodor], and the best it could hope to do is get a Gunk Shot poison (not too hard to get but obviously not a reliable way of getting past a Pokemon) or hit it with Toxic on the switch. Typhlosion's banning wasn't as directly impactful for Garbodor as it Typhlosion could not switch into Garbodor like Mega Camerupt could, but a lot of the Pokemon Garbodor checks are significantly more viable with Typhlosion gone; Lilligant, Mawile, Klinklang, Scyther, etc. Furthermore, Typhlosion was one more wallbreaker that could easily blow past Garbodor, and leaving the tier alleviates a lot of pressure on Garbodor. Something else to note from a general standpoint is that the higher a Pokemon is on the rankings the more it defines the meta, which is my opinion is where certain Pokemon would run specific coverage moves for it ie HP Water on Electric mons to hit Mega Camerupt, and the fact Hariyama runs Earthquake specifically for Garbodor certainly says something. In regards to its moveset, Spikes and Gunk Shot are realistically the only necessary moves and you then have the last two slots to customize based on your teams needs from Toxic Spikes, Toxic, Seed Bomb, Drain Punch, Haze, etc.

Garbodor to A+

What holds it back from being S rank is that while it excels at its role, it is limited to some degree. It's true that it can run an offensive set as well as the defensive set, I feel that it is still limited to its role as a Spikes setter. While there are only two S ranked Pokemon left, if you compare it to Mesprit it is nowhere near as versatile. Mesprit's versatility obviously stems from its massive movepool as well as its ability to play multiple roles / support on a team with its Choice Scarf sets to revenge kill, Life Orb [or even specs / band if thats your thing] to wallbreak (to an extent), and the team support of Healing Wish and Stealth Rock. In comparing it to Archeops, the other S ranked Pokemon, while it is not as versatile as Mesprit it makes up for this with the combination of its speed and power.

While I'm not going to deny that it got significantly better with the bans, there is one massive gripe I have with it. Mega Audino is so frustratingly weak unboosted. Yes, it walls a ton of threats in this meta but when it cannot deal significant damage in return, thats an issue. I could go find a trillion calcs where any offensive Pokemon with remote special bulk that is nuetral to Fairy type attacks is barely 3HKOed by Mega Audino's Dazzling Gleam, but the point stands regardless. Mega Audino even needs 48 evs to 3HKO standard malamar, and thats a super effective hit. Sure, you could go and say that it will obviously 2HKO them or hit much harder with the offensive set, which is a perfectly good set, but that takes away from Mega Audino's ability to wall physical attackers. And then there is the real big kicker that is preventing Mega Audino from moving to S rank. Calm Mind Psyshock users. Uxie, Musharna, Xatu, and to a lesser extent, Mesprit. All of these Pokemon are very relevant and important threats to take account for when teambuilding, and they have no issue switching into Mega Audino, boosting alongside it, and winning bar crits. In addition, with Mega Camerupt gone, Pokemon such as Klinklang, Pawniard, and Garbodor are much more threatening and make life for Mega Audino much worse. Yes, Mega Audino has a very good defensive typing, outstanding bulk, and is a solid win condition and team supporter, but I feel these flaws prevent it from moving up.

Mega Audino stays A+

Servine Unranked --> C/C+

So recently I have been using servine and I have to admit, it's definitely a strong mon in the tier, let's get the obvious reason out of the way first; It has a stab 130 base power move that raises your special attack by two stages, for those who don't know what I mean, with contrary, every time you use leaf storm, you basically get the effect of a nasty plot and do damage at the same time, this leads for being able to do massive damage to opposing teams and with the use of leaf storm plus giga drain, servine more than often usually takes out 1 or more mons. Recently NU has banned Typh and Cameruptite which only furthers my argument that servine should be ranked. Although servine's movepool is limited it still has all hidden power's (preferably rock, fire or ice) which hit hard at +2 and it also has glare which can cripple certain mons. Just the fact you can click leaf storm with almost no consequences is simply put, amazing. I would also like to point out since servine is a NFE, it can use eviolite, and with 65/70/70 as it's defenses, servine is bulkier than expected.

Now people may say lilligant makes servine obsolete, but that simply is not the case, servine is bulkier than lilligant, has access to glare which is kind of a sleep powder replacement and instead of raising SpAtk,Spdef,Spd at the same time all by one stag with quiver dance, servine gets +2 special attack which may seem like quiver dance is the better option, servine also does damage with it's stat raising move which can be very crucial to sweeping. It also has a respectable 83 speed so it will outspeed things like malamar and stuff that I'm too lazy to remember, so you could run a very bulky servine with MaxHP/MaxSpAtk which takes things like banded sneasel icicle crash, or you could run a fast servine to outspeed magmorter and samurott and ludicolo

Another point I would like to say is how good a typing grass is right now, with bulky rock, ground and waters flying around servine almost always finds something it can easily set up on in a battle, for example siesmitoad, rhydon, regirock and lanturn. It also beats annoying pesky calm minders 1v1 (even xatu if no heat wave and you have hp rock/ice) which is amazing. It also has a recovery move in synthesis which just adds to servine's long list of niches. Now I would show some calcs, but I'm afraid someone will punch there screen again so I will stray away from that... Keep calm and punch screens...

Overall, I think servine is a good mon in the tier that has many niches worthy of being ranked and the recent bans just amplify that. It has a solid typing for the tier,decent stats and a very good ability with a move that work very well together. It may not look much at first, but I strongly encourage people reading to use it, and see how effective it is :]

PS; I apolagize for lack of replays proving my points, I swept a lot of people with it and didn't save replays so rip my credibility ;-;

Last edited:

Servine Unranked --> C-/C+

So recently I have been using servine and I have to admit, it's definitely a strong mon in the tier, let's get the obvious reason out of the way first; It has a stab 130 base power move that raises your special attack by two stages, for those who don't know what I mean, with contrary, every time you use leaf storm, you basically get the effect of a nasty plot and do damage at the same time, this leads for being able to do massive damage to opposing teams and with the use of leaf storm plus giga drain, servine more than often usually takes out 1 or more mons. Recently NU has banned Typh and Cameruptite which only furthers my argument that servine should be ranked. Although servine's movepool is limited it still has all hidden power's (preferably rock, fire or ice) which hit hard at +2 and it also has glare which can cripple certain mons. Just the fact you can click leaf storm with almost no consequences is simply put, amazing. I would also like to point out since servine is a NFE, it can use eviolite, and with 65/70/70 as it's defenses, servine is bulkier than expected.

Now people may say lilligant makes servine obselete, but that simply is not the case, servine is bulier than lilligant, has access to glare which is kind of a sleep powder replacment and instead of raising SpAtk,Spdef,Spd at the same time all by one stag with quiver dance, servine gets +2 special attack which may seem like quiver dance is the better option, servine also does damage with it's stat raising move which can be very crucial to sweeping. It also has a respectable 83 speed so it will outspeed things like malamar and stuff that I'm too lazy to remeber, so you could run a very bulky servine with MaxHP/MaxSpAtk which takes things like banded sneasel icicle crash, or you could run a fast servine to outspeed magmorter and samurott and ludicolo

Another point I would like to say is how good a typing grass is right now, with bulky rock, ground and waters flying around servine almost always finds something it can easily set up on in a battle, for example siesmitoad, rhydon, regirock and lanturn. It also beats annoying pesky calm minders 1v1 (even xatu if no heat wave and you have hp rock/ice) which is amazing. It also has a recovery move in synthesis which just adds to servine's long list of niches. Now I would show some calcs, but I'm afraid someone will punch there screen again so I will stray away from that... Keep calm and punch screens...

Overall, I think servine is a good mon in the tier that has many niches worthy of being ranked and the recent bans just amplify that. It has a solid typing for the tier,decent stats and a very good ability with a move that work very well together. It may not look much at first, but I strongly encourage people reading to use it, and see how effective it is :]

PS; I apolagize for lack of replays proving my points, I swept a lot of people with it and didn't save replays so rip my credibility ;-;
I'd also like to point out that scarf servine can be a fantastic win condition. It allows you to come in late on a weaken mon, get to +2, then outspeed the likes of tauros, jynx, pyroar, etc while stacking boosts that let it run through even bulkier pokes.

Kecleon B --> B+

Kecleon is really good and pretty underrated. Protean and access to moves like Drain Punch, Shadow Sneak, Sucker Punch, Elemental Punches, Aqua Tail, and Knock Off let it screw with so many mons by changing its typing. Take Tauros for example. Use Shadow Sneak first turn; it won't hurt Tauros, but it makes you ghost type so you are immune to the incoming Rock Climb/Return. If the Tauros is scarfed, it has to switch and if it's Life Orb it is forced to use a coverage move and you can freely Drain Punch it to regain health (which does a minimum of 97%, so you can just Sucker Punch next turn). STAB on any move is absolutely beautiful and lets it hit really hard with a Life Orb despite only base 90 attack. Double priority with two great types is a godsend as well, easily mitigating its low speed (it even gets Fake Out too if you really want even more speed). It can also viably run an Assault Vest set to take more special attacks or even a more defensive set with Stealth Rock and Leftovers. It's really versatile and deals with both S-ranked mons quite nicely (easily puts Archeops into Defeatist range with Sucker Punch and finishes him off with Shadow Sneak and Mesprit is OHKOed by Sucker Punch after rocks). Pretty splashable on lots of teams too due to the many viable sets it can run.

Kecleon B --> B+

Kecleon is really good and pretty underrated. Protean and access to moves like Drain Punch, Shadow Sneak, Sucker Punch, Elemental Punches, Aqua Tail, and Knock Off let it screw with so many mons by changing its typing. Take Tauros for example. Use Shadow Sneak first turn; it won't hurt Tauros, but it makes you ghost type so you are immune to the incoming Rock Climb/Return. If the Tauros is scarfed, it has to switch and if it's Life Orb it is forced to use a coverage move and you can freely Drain Punch it to regain health (which does a minimum of 97%, so you can just Sucker Punch next turn). STAB on any move is absolutely beautiful and lets it hit really hard with a Life Orb despite only base 90 attack. Double priority with two great types is a godsend as well, easily mitigating its low speed (it even gets Fake Out too if you really want even more speed). It can also viably run an Assault Vest set to take more special attacks or even a more defensive set with Stealth Rock and Leftovers. It's really versatile and deals with both S-ranked mons quite nicely (easily puts Archeops into Defeatist range with Sucker Punch and finishes him off with Shadow Sneak and Mesprit is OHKOed by Sucker Punch after rocks). Pretty splashable on lots of teams too due to the many viable sets it can run.
As much as I love this mon, I find it thoroughly outclassed by Kangaskhan. Although Kecleon does have the benefit of getting STAB knockoff, alternative priority in shadow sneak, and greater special bulk, it's lack of speed forces it to rely on priority moves which can easily be taken advantage of by opponents. On the other hand, Kangaskhan possesses a respectable speed stat that allows it to outspeed bulkier mons and hit them with a strong, reliable double-edge, and can stop frail sweepers with its fake-out/sucker punch combo almost as well as Kecleon can. Kecleon's pitiful physical bulk also means it can only stay in against specially-based mons or perform a cleanup role. Stealth rock, while a nice niche, prevents Kecleon from using its most viable assault vest + drain punch set, and life orb sets simply get worn down far too fast to be considered viable.

Kecleon B --> B+

I support this. Dual priority in the form of either sucker punch, fake out or shadow sneak can really screw around with the enemy team, and also makes up for his poor speed. He has excellent coverage, and the best part is protean gives a stab boost to them all. He is also an excellent late-game sweeper thanks to his priority attacks + revenge killer. In fact, I would go as far to say move him up to A- instead.

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
Going to hop onto the "move Garbodor up" bandwagon.

First and foremost, Garbodor is one of the easiest pokemon to slap onto a team in the tier.

Need spikes? Odds are your team will be using a Garbodor (especially since Qwilfish went RU by usage). Need a fighting check? Odds are your team will be using a Garbodor or a (Colbur) Psychic type. Need something to punish opposing physical attackers for using a lot of common moves? Odds are your team will be using Garbodor (Rocky Helmet is standard and Aftermath is the ability of choice for Garbodor, generally). I could probably go on and cite various other niches which Garbodor has and why teams often appreciate and take advantage of the garbage bag's capabilities.

Nevertheless, the ultimate conclusion to draw off of this is the fact that Garbodor plays a significant role in the tier's play, teambuilding, overall checking of physical attacks, and spikestacking. With Garbodor being so common and useful, I see no reason to hold it back from rising. While S rank is reserved for the pokemon who truly run the show and posses unparalleled capabilities within the metagame, A+ is a fine home for Garbodor being a solid, but not broken or overpowering, defensive presence in the tier.

Sweet Jesus

Neal and Jack and me, absent lovers...
There seems to be something incredibly wrong with viability rankings and with usage stats, something is beeing drasticaly underestimated in my opinion and that thing is ursaring! (Much Rimes)

The Punisher (Ursaring) @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Facade
- Earthquake
- Crunch
- Seed Bomb

This set from my RMT should be the bear's main set in my opinion. It's attack is already good enough to run jolly as this brings him to a very interesting speed tier. A whole lot of things are based around outspeeding max speed without nature golurk, torterra, mawile, cacturne and max speed rhydon. Well Ursaring outspeeds all of those threats and the ones who try to speed creep them like garbodor and seismitoad to whom it's too big of a sacrifice to run 80 more EVs in speed without completely changing the set.
Now ursaring's speed tier still isn't amazing but it's fast enough to outspeed every wall in the metagame except for uxie. Much more imoprtantly though, ursaring 2hko's EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM!! What other wallbreaker can make such a claim? None, bar maybe rampardos who has an 80 accuracy stab and inferior bulk and typing. The fact ursaring is currently PU and C rank definately shows people have not yet realized just how powerful this thing is!
2HKO'ing the entire meta means practicaly every time he comes in, something is dying! Not only that, if you managed to get it in full health, your opponent must hit back with a fighting, banded or specs move or esle something else is dying! In a meta where a shitload of teams rely on megadino to tank everything and save the world this means a lot!
Don't dare tell me this thing is outclassed by zangoose in a meta where one of the 2 most effective walls is named garbodor, and brings down 41% of your hp if you dare kill him with a move that makes contact, ursaring just EQ's the shit out of it. Seed Bomb also lets you hit some major threats to zangoose for huge damage (rhydon, costa) and lets you threaten the ohko on seismitoad before the guts boost. Not only that, Ursaring's bulk actually lets him come in on walls unlike zangoose, he can even come in on scald and will-o-wisp!

Toxic Damage is really not that big of a problem considering in the 2 first turns combined it actually takes off less hp than a Life orb would have and if you're staying in for longer than 2 turns, you probably just wrecked havoc in your opponents team. The only real challenge with ursaring is to get that orb activated but that alone is definately not worthy of a C rank.

Seriously, this thing alone can practically guarantee you a win against any team that relies on it's defensive capacities to win because (let me repeat it) he 2HKO's EVERYTHING! (ok maybe not max def avalugg, max def tangela and max def regirock but they suck ballz, too lazy to calc)

So yeah, I'm gonna go with a bold move and nominate it for B.

Last edited:
As much as I love this mon, I find it thoroughly outclassed by Kangaskhan. Although Kecleon does have the benefit of getting STAB knockoff, alternative priority in shadow sneak, and greater special bulk, it's lack of speed forces it to rely on priority moves which can easily be taken advantage of by opponents. On the other hand, Kangaskhan possesses a respectable speed stat that allows it to outspeed bulkier mons and hit them with a strong, reliable double-edge, and can stop frail sweepers with its fake-out/sucker punch combo almost as well as Kecleon can. Kecleon's pitiful physical bulk also means it can only stay in against specially-based mons or perform a cleanup role. Stealth rock, while a nice niche, prevents Kecleon from using its most viable assault vest + drain punch set, and life orb sets simply get worn down far too fast to be considered viable.
Drain Punch helps keep the Life Orb set alive longer and is fairly easy to get off against mons that rely on Normal or Psychic type moves as STAB since you can change your typing with three different types to choose from (Shadow Sneak, Sucker Punch, and Fake Out) to gain an immunity then hit them. Additionally, Kecleon doesn't necessarily need a normal move for STAB since it gets STAB on everything, so it has more room to run other moves like Knock Off, Elemental Punches, and Aqua Tail than Kangaskhan does since Kanga pretty much has to run Return/Double Edge (yes, I know Kangaskhan gets all those moves I mentioned too, but it doesn't usually have room on a set to run them). Stealth Rock is a great niche that gives it more utility than Kangaskhan and can condense teambuilding roles. Kangaskhan is great in this meta, make no mistake, but I feel like the power and disruptive abilities that Kecleon has because of Protean (along with having room for more coverage moves) give it enough of a niche that it should move up.

The Punisher (Ursaring) @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Facade
- Earthquake
- Crunch
- Seed Bomb

This set from my RMT should be the bear's main set in my opinion. It's attack is already good enough to run jolly as this brings him to a very interesting speed tier. A whole lot of things are based around outspeeding max speed without nature golurk, torterra, mawile, cacturne and max speed rhydon. Well Ursaring outspeeds all of those threats and the ones who try to speed creep them like garbodor and seismitoad to whom it's too big of a sacrifice to run 80 more EVs in speed without completely changing the set.
Now ursaring's speed tier still isn't amazing but it's fast enough to outspeed every wall in the metagame except for uxie. Much more imoprtantly though, ursaring 2hko's EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM!! What other wallbreaker can make such a claim? None, bar maybe rampardos who has an 80 accuracy stab and inferior bulk and typing. The fact ursaring is currently PU and C rank definately shows people have not yet realized just how powerful this thing is!
2HKO'ing the entire meta means practicaly every time he comes in, something is dying! Not only that, if you managed to get it in full health, your opponent must hit back with a fighting, banded or specs move or esle something else is dying! In a meta where a shitload of teams rely on megadino to tank everything and save the world this means a lot!
Don't dare tell me this thing is outclassed by zangoose in a meta where one of the 2 most effective walls is named garbodor, and brings down 41% of your hp if you dare kill him with a move that makes contact, ursaring just EQ's the shit out of it. Seed Bomb also lets you hit some major threats to zangoose for huge damage (rhydon, costa) and lets you threaten the ohko on seismitoad before the guts boost. Not only that, Ursaring's bulk actually lets him come in on walls unlike zangoose, he can even come in on scald and will-o-wisp!

Toxic Damage is really not that big of a problem considering in the 2 first turns combined it actually takes off less hp than a Life orb would have and if you're staying in for longer than 2 turns, you probably just wrecked havoc in your opponents team. The only real challenge with ursaring is to get that orb activated but that alone is definately not worthy of a C rank.

Seriously, this thing alone can practically guarantee you a win against any team that relies on it's defensive capacities to win because (let me repeat it) he 2HKO's EVERYTHING! (ok maybe not max def avalugg, max def tangela and max def regirock but they suck ballz, too lazy to calc)

So yeah, I'm gonna go with a bold move and nominate it for B.
Okay I'll bite XD

Why should we use this over zangoose who has a better speed tier and priority? Other than for carbink ofc.

Ursaring does have a 130 base attack to goose's 115. Does it OHKO more defensive threats giving it more opportunity?

Sweet Jesus

Okay I'll bite XD

Why should we use this over zangoose who has a better speed tier and priority? Other than for carbink ofc.

Ursaring does have a 130 base attack to goose's 115. Does it OHKO more defensive threats giving it more opportunity?
I think I've already answered that question in the post. A) Better Bulk B) access to non contact moves (hemet and aftermath) that kill, rhydon, costa and most importantly garbodor, C) Can come in on scald and WoW, (prinplup, weezing) D) Slightly stronger (won't make much difference on the 2hkos, but will for certan OHKOs)

Last edited:

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
The better bulk is an extremely minor point for a Pokemon whose health automatically depletes as quickly as it does. If this were a Pokemon that can function fine with just plain old Life Orb or something the better bulk would be much more noticeable, but Ursaring badly needs a status orb to not be overshadowed by Zangoose as it is, and status orbs carry the huge disadvantage of not only doing more damage than LO, but does so if the status orb user didn't actually deal any damage that turn (immunity or switch-in). This also means Ursaring really should not be switching into attacks, be it Scald or even Wisp (Ursa takes extra damage from doing so). Taking Scald damage is bad enough in that it significantly limits Ursaring's already strained longevity (so again, not that much of an advantage), but even the Wisp users don't immediately pay the price for giving Ursaring a free switch-in: Gourgeist can easily Synthesis spam right in front of Ursaring's face (made even easier if Leech Seed is factored in), Weezing can still get a decent hit off or dick around with Pain Split first to whittle Ursaring down even further, and Rotom can smack Ursaring with a Volt Switch to also wear Ursa down.

It's funny you mentioned Ursaring being stronger, because the Jolly Ursaring you brought up in the example is both slower and weaker (albeit very slightly) than Adamant Zangoose. This already means Ursaring is on the verge of getting outclassed, and would need to rely on other advantages to keep it ahead (that advantage is Quick Feet, but that alone is generous for a C Ranking). The coverage moves Ursaring has that let it deal with frankly, just a handful of threats much better than Zangoose are a nice touch, but for the most part are not really that necessary. In the early game, Zangoose can just throw around Knock Offs and suddenly the Rock-types that were meant to keep it in check become much less capable of doing so as the match progresses, while still netting solid neutral damage on the tier. Meanwhile, Quagsire is cleanly 2HKOed by Zangoose's Facade even if it Recovers. Earthquake is certainly a boon when it comes to dealing with Garbodor, but of course if Garbo manages to bait Ursa to hit it with any contact move, that advantage can be blown as Ursa's health dwindles away and it won't get the chance to redeem itself. The only time where Ursaring's coverage move makes a huge difference was Play Rough in the Spiritomb meta (which Zangoose basically cannot touch), but now that Tomb is gone...

All those 2HKOes you said Ursaring pulls on the tier? Those all still require predictions, and Zangoose can still net a solid majority of those KOes with just as much, if not less prediction, mostly due to Knock Off which still softens up a threat for an easier KO in the future regardless of the actual damage it did. In addition to the aforementioned Rock-type scenario, just throwing out a decently strong Knock Off can set Zangoose up for the future, while Ursaring is under pressure from its dwindling health to predict correctly since its attacks are less punishing (ironic given your Ursaring's set name). What's that, you Knocked Off a Gurdurr? Well good news, it cannot soft check Goose anymore since Facade will KO it (the same cannot be said for Ursaring's Crunch, since Gurdurr is still capable of taking the subsequent Facade). What's that, your Knock Off connects with a Garbodor? Well at least now you only take Rocky Helmet damage once and then Aftermath damage, as opposed to taking Helmet damage followed by Aftermath + additional Helmet damage if any other contact move is used; while Ursaring can bypass this issue, Earthquake isn't the easiest attack to throw out either, especially considering that the Ghosts that check Ursaring take EQ with impunity. Basically this means that Zangoose is less prediction heavy to use than Ursaring, which is kind of crucial when its health is draining at a fast rate.

Meanwhile, I haven't even gone into the more obvious aspects that separate Goose from Ursa, such as the notable speed gap between the two, because there are a significant amount of Pokemon, such as Klinklang, (neutral) Mesprit, defensive Uxie + Xatu (with mild speed investment), Claydol, (neutral) Sawk, Samurott, Ludicolo, even Magmortar (on Seed Bomb), etc... that soft / hard check Ursaring but fall flat to Zangoose. And let's not forget the priority Quick Attack, which gives Zangoose a lot more utility against offensive teams which Guts Ursaring has little to no use against.

To sum it all up, even though Ursaring functions ok as a mon in itself, it just doesn't warrant very much advantages over its superior competition. Think of it as Beheeyem vs Musharna, Audino vs Audino @ Audinite, and the whole Mr. Mime discussion a while back. Quick Feet alone is what puts it at its current C Rank, and even if Guts Ursa has just what it needs to be bumped up to C+ (at best), B is waaay too much of a stretch for Ursaring.

Last edited:

Sweet Jesus

The better bulk is an extremely minor point for a Pokemon whose health automatically depletes as quickly as it does. If this were a Pokemon that can function fine with just plain old Life Orb or something the better bulk would be much more noticeable, but Ursaring badly needs a status orb to not be overshadowed by Zangoose as it is, and status orbs carry the huge disadvantage of not only doing more damage than LO, but does so if the status orb user didn't actually deal any damage that turn (immunity or switch-in). This also means Ursaring really should not be switching into attacks, be it Scald or even Wisp (Ursa takes extra damage from doing so). Taking Scald damage is bad enough in that it significantly limits Ursaring's already strained longevity (so again, not that much of an advantage), but even the Wisp users don't immediately pay the price for giving Ursaring a free switch-in: Gourgeist can easily Synthesis spam right in front of Ursaring's face (made even easier if Leech Seed is factored in), Weezing can still get a decent hit off or dick around with Pain Split first to whittle Ursaring down even further, and Rotom can smack Ursaring with a Volt Switch to also wear Ursa down.
Not sure you fully read my first post or you're just playing around but all these arguments seem pretty bad to me. Let me just remind I siad this: Toxic Damage is really not that big of a problem considering in the 2 first turns combined it actually takes off less hp than a Life orb would have and if you're staying in for longer than 2 turns, you probably just wrecked havoc in your opponents team.
Saying life orb won't do damage if you don't do damage is a really minor argument because it only applies to protect and multiple switch-ins considering ursaring only runs attack moves and won't take toxic damage on his first switch-in.
Now saying you can't switch on scald or wisp becuase they do damage is pretty ridiculous, I'm not saying it will necessarily be your best move every time, but it is often a very good play. Ok burn does more damage than toxic before the third turn and prinplup's/lanturn's scald might take away the third of you health, so fuck what? You just brought in a fucking monster that practically guarantees you a kill for such a small price, that's the point! Yah ok gourgeist and weezing can play around if they have enough health remaining but in the end they'll still be dead and ursaring will have done what he was meant to do: Wallbreak. Don't tell me ursaring is not B rank because he can't sweep, he's not meant to do that. (Although I have managed to do it in the past :P)

It's funny you mentioned Ursaring being stronger, because the Jolly Ursaring you brought up in the example is both slower and weaker (albeit very slightly) than Adamant Zangoose. This already means Ursaring is on the verge of getting outclassed, and would need to rely on other advantages to keep it ahead (that advantage is Quick Feet, but that alone is generous for a C Ranking). The coverage moves Ursaring has that let it deal with frankly, just a handful of threats much better than Zangoose are a nice touch, but for the most part are not really that necessary. In the early game, Zangoose can just throw around Knock Offs and suddenly the Rock-types that were meant to keep it in check become much less capable of doing so as the match progresses, while still netting solid neutral damage on the tier. Meanwhile, Quagsire is cleanly 2HKOed by Zangoose's Facade even if it Recovers. Earthquake is certainly a boon when it comes to dealing with Garbodor, but of course if Garbo manages to bait Ursa to hit it with any contact move, that advantage can be blown as Ursa's health dwindles away and it won't get the chance to redeem itself. The only time where Ursaring's coverage move makes a huge difference was Play Rough in the Spiritomb meta (which Zangoose basically cannot touch), but now that Tomb is gone...
I don't consider these arguments as valid either. Ok zangoose becomes as strong (let's not fight over 2 points) than ursaring when he runs adamant, but to me the point of using zangoose over ursaring is to outspeed things like mesprit, vivillion, magmortar, sawk etc. If you do go adamant yo do end up faster and as strong, but I think the fact ursaring doesn't have counters and can live a hit and retalliate factors in just as much if not more. Don't tell me playing around garbodor is some prediction ursaring can't afford when you just told me about knocking off rock types with zangoose to let him sweep late game. The latter requires much more plays which means much more prediction and much more coming in which depletes health very fast when hazards are up (which will often be up because you just let a rock type switch-in).
What really brings me to say Ursaring's bulk is just as good as zangoose's speed is that any good team should have at least 2 or 3 ways to revenge zangoose anyway that is if you don't have an actual counter to it. Ursaring practically can't be countered and is nearly harder to revenge kill because your opponent probably has 2 or less mons that can outspeed and take away 81% of it's hp in one hit (and if he doesn't he's losing a second mon). (81% is 2 toxic turns or 1 toxic turn and 1 hazard damage)

All those 2HKOes you said Ursaring pulls on the tier? Those all still require predictions, and Zangoose can still net a solid majority of those KOes with just as much, if not less prediction, mostly due to Knock Off which still softens up a threat for an easier KO in the future regardless of the actual damage it did. In addition to the aforementioned Rock-type scenario, just throwing out a decently strong Knock Off can set Zangoose up for the future, while Ursaring is under pressure from its dwindling health to predict correctly since its attacks are less punishing (ironic given your Ursaring's set name). What's that, you Knocked Off a Gurdurr? Well good news, it cannot soft check Goose anymore since Facade will KO it (the same cannot be said for Ursaring's Crunch, since Gurdurr is still capable of taking the subsequent Facade). What's that, your Knock Off connects with a Garbodor? Well at least now you only take Rocky Helmet damage once and then Aftermath damage, as opposed to taking Helmet damage followed by Aftermath + additional Helmet damage if any other contact move is used; while Ursaring can bypass this issue, Earthquake isn't the easiest attack to throw out either, especially considering that the Ghosts that check Ursaring take EQ with impunity. Basically this means that Zangoose is less prediction heavy to use than Ursaring, which is kind of crucial when its health is draining at a fast rate.
The knock off argument is good, the gurdurr example is bad, the thing has mach punch. My problem here is that you talk as if switching around against an ursaring is a good thing to do... It's super dangerous! Wanna switch your mismagius or rotom in (who won't KO bear but might KO zanz after btw), fine, if you miss your shot you just loss one of your mons that outspeed bear and the mon that is slower you just switched out is still alive for bear to come in and threaten you again, which can often mean you practically lost the game right there! Saying you got less predicts to do with zanz because of knock off also doesn't consider you probably aren't killing the mon that is currently in with knock off and unless it's a carbink, it's killing zangoose right after.

Meanwhile, I haven't even gone into the more obvious aspects that separate Goose from Ursa, such as the notable speed gap between the two, because there are a significant amount of Pokemon, such as Klinklang, (neutral) Mesprit, defensive Uxie + Xatu (with mild speed investment), Claydol, (neutral) Sawk, Samurott, Ludicolo, even Magmortar (on Seed Bomb), etc... that soft / hard check Ursaring but fall flat to Zangoose. And let's not forget the priority Quick Attack, which gives Zangoose a lot more utility against offensive teams which Guts Ursaring has little to no use against.
I'll say as you say: it's funny you mention those mons when you mentionned an adamant zangoose that doesn't outspeed the third of them. No but seriously, all those mons you mentionned, I wouldn't consider switching anything but klinklang on ursaring unless I was saccing it. Unless you use that one move that wasn't killing it, the mons you mentionned are dying because ursaring is fucking deadly. The same can be said about zangoose, but most things bulky enough to be «safe» (as in safer than the mons you mentionned) to switch in on those 2 monsters are slower than both these mons and if they have something to hit back, it's priority (costa, swine, mawile) in which case zangoose is the loser.
Besides, Ursaring outspeeds claydol usualy and claydol is not doing much back. In fact, practicaly all the mons you mentionned (bar sawk and arguably mesprit) probably aren't taking away 81% (and I could say 93%) without a choice item or life orb on a 80-85 accuracy move.

To sum it all up, even though Ursaring functions ok as a mon in itself, it just doesn't warrant very much advantages over its superior competition. Think of it as Beheeyem vs Musharna, Audino vs Audino @ Audinite, and the whole Mr. Mime discussion a while back. Quick Feet alone is what puts it at its current C Rank, and even if Guts Ursa has just what it needs to be bumped up to C+ (at best), B is waaay too much of a stretch for Ursaring.
Yeah ursaring does work better against more defensive teams, but even against HO, there should usualy be at least 2 mons slower than a jolly 55 so he's not deadweight. Quick feet is in my opinion not very good and outclassed by tauros as it doesn't outspeed the very important 110 speed tier, but it does add in a small fake it factor which is cool.

In the end, I've used ursaring a lot and I don't think zangoose would have been better in at least 50% of the situations. This percentage will change depending on what you are pairing it with, but I'd say ursaring is easier to fit on a team because zangoose has absolutely 0 defensive presence meaning putting him on your team limits you to your 5 other mons to take attacks (and yes ursaring's bulk matters, use it, you'll see).
Now if it's very possible for ursaring to be better/as goood as zangoose in so many situations, it certanly means it's not overshadowed! B for Bear!

Last edited:

The Goomy

Whitest Mexican Alive
I haven't personally used Ursaring, so I cannot really comment on its viability, but I just wanted to interject and say that people who theory-mon the shit out of these nominations annoy me. It's painfully obvious when someone hasn't actually attempted to use the Pokemon, and tries to justify their argument with calcs and "what ifs". I'm going to make a team around the bear and see what I think of it before I comment on this nomination.

I can say w/o using using the bear that Zangoose is actually somewhat underwhelming in the tier due to the prevalence of Garbodor, which a good portion of teams use as their only physical attacker deterrent. Seed Bomb is cool coverage I didn't even know the bear got. Also, Ursaring has the option of running quick feet too, which may be less powerful, but forces mind games that zangoose cannot.

I think this is a valid nomination that should be discussed further.

Sweet Jesus

I haven't personally used Ursaring, so I cannot really comment on its viability, but I just wanted to interject and say that people who theory-mon the shit out of these nominations annoy me. It's painfully obvious when someone hasn't actually attempted to use the Pokemon, and tries to justify their argument with calcs and "what ifs". I'm going to make a team around the bear and see what I think of it before I comment on this nomination.

I can say w/o using using the bear that Zangoose is actually somewhat underwhelming in the tier due to the prevalence of Garbodor, which a good portion of teams use as their only physical attacker deterrent. Seed Bomb is cool coverage I didn't even know the bear got. Also, Ursaring has the option of running quick feet too, which may be less powerful, but forces mind games that zangoose cannot.

I think this is a valid nomination that should be discussed further.
In his defence (I'm going to assume you were talking about punchsroom). I think when it comes to placing poorly used mons, it can be a pain to test them all just so you can place a word and theorymoning can still let the one who originaly nominated the mon counter what other people might be thinking but won't post about.
I wouldn't say this about someone with poor knowledge of the tier or someone directly nominating a mon he hasn't tested though.

Last edited:

Punchshroom

Not sure you fully read my first post or you're just playing around but all these arguments seem pretty bad to me. Let me just remind I siad this: Toxic Damage is really not that big of a problem considering in the 2 first turns combined it actually takes off less hp than a Life orb would have and if you're staying in for longer than 2 turns, you probably just wrecked havoc in your opponents team.
Saying life orb won't do damage if you don't do damage is a really minor argument because it only applies to protect and multiple switch-ins considering ursaring only runs attack moves and won't take toxic damage on his first switch-in.
Now saying you can't switch on scald or wisp becuase they do damage is pretty ridiculous, I'm not saying it will necessarily be your best move every time, but it is often a very good play. Ok burn does more damage than toxic before the third turn and prinplup's/lanturn's scald might take away the third of you health, so fuck what? You just brought in a fucking monster that practically guarantees you a kill for such a small price, that's the point! Yah ok gourgeist and weezing can play around if they have enough health remaining but in the end they'll still be dead and ursaring will have done what he was meant to do: Wallbreak. Don't tell me ursaring is not B rank because he can't sweep, he's not meant to do that. (Although I have managed to do it in the past :P)
The Toxic damage is certainly enough to diminish Ursaring's bulk advantage, and the point about Life Orb not doing damage if you don't attack kind of ties in with the point about you switching Ursaring into stuff. Mind you, Ursaring has a mild advantage in being able to actually switch into these moves which Goose can't risk against; however taking substantial damage from Scald before Ursa even begins attacking again heavily diminishes the bulk advantage, and as for the Wisp users, I can't see Ursaring beating a healthy Gourgeist 1v1 unless it gets lucky Def drops. Zangoose is also perfectly capable of wallbreaking, and if you want to argue that sacrificing Ursaring to break the walls down means it accomplished its job, how does this not apply to Zangoose and Garbodor, especially considering the consistency in which Garbo is lured out to face Zangoose? I can even argue that earlier Zangoose leads can force the opponent to sac their Garbo and deny hazards. And it's not even like Zangoose has a hard time trying to activate its Toxic Orb to soak up status like you said you'd use Ursaring for either, if anything Zangoose has an easier time doing so: it can make use of its speed to threaten a KO on something (usually with Close Combat) and activate its Orb risk free (Ursa struggles to do the same, especially pre-Guts), and makes better use of slow VoltTurn support due to, again, its better immediate speed.

I don't consider these arguments as valid either. Ok zangoose becomes as strong (let's not fight over 2 points) than ursaring when he runs adamant, but to me the point of using zangoose over ursaring is to outspeed things like mesprit, vivillion, magmortar, sawk etc. If you do go adamant yo do end up faster and as strong, but I think the fact ursaring doesn't have counters and can live a hit and retalliate factors in just as much if not more. Don't tell me playing around garbodor is some prediction ursaring can't afford when you just told me about knocking off rock types with zangoose to let him sweep late game. The latter requires much more plays which means much more prediction and much more coming in which depletes health very fast when hazards are up (which will often be up because you just let a rock type switch-in).
The reason people choose Zangoose is for a stupid powerful core breaker that still has a good matchup against offense. Ursaring pretty much throws the latter advantage away just to refine the former advantage by a marginal bit. I say 'marginal' because Ursaring beats less than a handful of Pokemon that Zangoose doesn't beat takes longer to beat; yeah it's not like Zangoose outright loses to said Pokemon. The only Pokemon in the tier that Zangoose struggles to beat even with prediction that Ursaring doesn't bat an eye at are: Carracosta, Mawile, and lol Carbink. That is basically it. Every other Pokemon Ursaring can claim to beat, Zangoose does just as effectively. Sure the Garbodor matchup is a bummer for Zangoose but Goose will kill Garbo before it even succumbs to residual damage (unless it stayed in too long), meaning you've not only KOed one of the fattest hazard setters in the tier but still have one last ditch attack left in Quick Attack. Meanwhile, Zangoose thrashes offensive Garbodor in much the same manner, while Ursaring can get checked by offensive Garbo (add that to the list of mons that check Guts Ursa but not Zangoose). Btw, Ferroseed hard counters your Ursaring, and even threatens the very same kind of contact damage which you've gone on great lengths saying Ursaring can avoid due to being able to KO Garbo without touching it.

What really brings me to say Ursaring's bulk is just as good as zangoose's speed is that any good team should have at least 2 or 3 ways to revenge zangoose anyway that is if you don't have an actual counter to it. Ursaring practically can't be countered and is nearly harder to revenge kill because your opponent probably has 2 or less mons that can take away 81% of it's hp in one hit (and if he doesn't he's losing a second mon). (81% is 2 toxic turns or 1 toxic turn and 1 hazard damage)
Considering the large number of mons I already mentioned checking Ursa (but not Goose), and the fact that only a limited number of Pokemon can revenge Zangoose without eating a chunk from boosted Quick Attack, Zangoose's speed (and priority) far exceed Ursa's bulk when it comes to evading revenge killing; I would hardly say Ursa is very hard for most of its checks to KO either, especially with the accumulating damage.

The knock off argument is good, the gurdurr example is bad, the thing has mach punch. My problem here is that you talk as if switching around against an ursaring is a good thing to do... It's super dangerous! Wanna switch your mismagius or rotom in (who won't KO bear but might KO zanz after btw), fine, if you miss your shot you just loss one of your mons that outspeed bear and the mon that is slower you just switched out is still alive for bear to come in and threaten you again, which can often mean you practically lost the game right there! Saying you got less predicts to do with zanz because of knock off also doesn't consider you probably aren't killing the mon that is currently in with knock off and unless it's a carbink, it's killing zangoose right after.
Gurdurr does indeed force them both out initially, but Gurdurr can still switch into Ursaring provided it only took a Crunch earlier (unlike Zangoose's Knock Off), is where I was getting at there. Indeed, switching around Ursaring definitely has its risks, but it does do an ok job of wearing down Ursaring considering Ursa's options are not as safe as Zangoose, which implies Goose is even harder to pivot around. Sure, there is always the risk of Knock Off spamming not working out, but that doesn't necessarily make Ursa easier to play with.

I'll say as you say: it's funny you mention those mons when you mentionned an adamant zangoose that doesn't outspeed the third of them. No but seriously, all those mons you mentionned, I wouldn't consider switching anything but klinklang on ursaring unless I was saccing it. Unless you use that one move that wasn't killing it, the mons you mentionned are dying because ursaring is fucking deadly. The same can be said about zangoose, but most things bulky enough to be «safe» (as in safer than the mons you mentionned) to switch in on those 2 monsters are slower than both these mons and if they have something to hit back, it's priority (costa, swine, mawile) in which case zangoose is the loser.
Pretty sure I emphasized "neutral" natures when I talked about mons that could potentially run positive natures to get the drop on Goose, so in that context it does outspeed all of them. The mons I mentioned that would obviously get rocked by a Facade take into account that you are in a position where you aren't spamming Facade 24/7 aka being forced to use coverage, which those mons can indeed take, and as deadly as Ursa is even its coverage moves can fall short in terms of neutral power (Guts Earthquake does not OHKO Sawk). If you are in a position to spam Facade, Zangoose is kind of the winner here anyway. Priority from Pokemon slower than both Ursa and Goose is also much rarer than the plethora of Pokemon that outrun Ursa but don't outspeed Zangoose, and that is discounting certain slower Sucker Punch users such as Cacturne and Kecleon since Quick Attack bops them, so again it doesn't seem as worthwhile. Btw Piloswine is a very shaky example considering unboosted Knock Off + boosted Facade takes it out, leaving Goose without much worse for wear even after taking a Shard.

Yeah ursaring does work better against more defensive teams, but even against HO, there should usualy be at least 2 mons slower than a jolly 55 so he's not deadweight. Quick feet is in my opinion not very good as it doesn't outspeed the very important 110 speed tier, but it does add in a small fake it factor which is cool
Ursaring's matchup against HO is considerably weaker than Goose's matchup against the supposed stall that Ursa breaks but Goose itself cannot. As for Quick Feet, it still outspeeds Pyroar and is practically the closest mix between Swellow's speed and Zangoose's coverage while still maintaining the power of STAB Facades, which is frankly a better niche than what Guts Ursaring offers in this meta (Spiritomb meta was the only meta where Ursa shined alongside, but never over, Zangoose).

In the end, I've used ursaring a lot and I don't think zangoose would have been better in at least 50% of the situations. This percentage will change depending on what you are pairing it with, but I'd say ursaring is easier to fit on a team because zangoose has absolutely 0 defensive presence meaning putting him on your team limits you to your 5 other mons to take attacks (and yes ursaring's bulk matters, use it, you'll see).
Now if it's very possible for ursaring to be better/as goood as zangoose in so many situations, it certanly means it's not overshadowed! Ursaring for B!
I don't deny Ursa's overall potency nor its similarities with Zangoose as a whole, but I can interpret 'Zangoose wouldn't have been better in at least 50% of situations' as 'Zangoose can replace Ursaring in at least 50% of these situations and not that much would change). Perhaps it's your team structure that somehow makes use of Ursaring's bulk, but if all goes well Ursaring shouldn't be taking hits in the first place, because if it does it would most likely die in like 2 turns at most (rendering Ursaring's bulk advantage fairly moot); it very rarely matters that, say LO Pyroar cannot OHKO Ursa off the bat when Ursa automatically puts itself in range. Ursa's defensive presence is still very limited (you switch into Scalds like once, twice if you got off without taking further damage like from SR) so you can't fault Zangoose for this, and it's not like the immunity to status is exclusive to Ursa alone since Goose can activate its Orb without having to switch into status directly and instead pulls it off via revenge kill, slow VoltTurn, or double switch. Outside against full-blown stall, I really can't see any advantages Ursa would have over Zangoose, because Zangoose's ability to rip past opponents like Samurott, Mortar, Ludicolo, neutral base 80s-86s, etc.. without taking an additional hit + boosted priority means Goose proves more useful in almost every other matchup ranging from balance to semi-stall to offense to "speed control" offense (weather, Trick Room). I've been running Jolly Zangoose to get an assured advantage over the pesky positive 80s-86s, and so far I've not noticed any noticeable drop in power because Zangoose still hits sufficiently goddamn hard. Guts Ursaring is kind of the definition of overkill, and giving up both speed and priority doesn't seem worth it for what Zangoose could do already. You say that it's very possible for Ursa to as good (ok) / be better (debatable) than Zangoose in so many (very debatable) situations, while Goose has pretty much proven that speed + priority + insane power yields more advantages than dwindling bulk + additional (but unnecessary) coverage + ~equally insane power.

Last edited:

Sweet Jesus

The Toxic damage is certainly enough to diminish Ursaring's bulk advantage, and the point about Life Orb not doing damage if you don't attack kind of ties in with the point about you switching Ursaring into stuff. Mind you, Ursaring has a mild advantage in being able to actually switch into these moves which Goose can't risk against; however taking substantial damage from Scald before Ursa even begins attacking again heavily diminishes the bulk advantage, and as for the Wisp users, I can't see Ursaring beating a healthy Gourgeist 1v1 unless it gets lucky Def drops. Zangoose is also perfectly capable of wallbreaking, and if you want to argue that sacrificing Ursaring to break the walls down means it accomplished its job, how does this not apply to Zangoose and Garbodor, especially considering the consistency in which Garbo is lured out to face Zangoose? I can even argue that earlier Zangoose leads can force the opponent to sac their Garbo and deny hazards. And it's not even like Zangoose has a hard time trying to activate its Toxic Orb to soak up status like you said you'd use Ursaring for either, if anything Zangoose has an easier time doing so: it can make use of its speed to threaten a KO on something (usually with Close Combat) and activate its Orb risk free (Ursa struggles to do the same, especially pre-Guts), and makes better use of slow VoltTurn support due to, again, its better immediate speed.
Ok, some good arguments here. Ok about max def gourgeist super, it's not super common though, isn't doing anything to something coming in since all it does is synthesis and zangoose isn't killing either since knock off loses power after the first shot so you might as well add it to your counters in the next paragraph (and def drop chance + crit chance is still over 25% chance to happen which isn't bad). Ok too about the suicide vs garbo, still ursaring has a huge chance of coming out alive against weezing.
However, when you say ursaring losing it's advantage over goose if it switches on a weak attack because it's bulk then disappears... Well it just used it's bulk effectively, that's the point of bulk: tanking attacks.
For the last bit, you say zanz can use his speed to activate it's orb, well ursaring can use his bulk, better coverage and he's not even slow anyway.
Volt-turn being better with zanz is just completely absurd and comes back to the usual bulk vs speed debate in which case ursaring wins again becuase some voltturners are quite fast (in fact quite a lot).

The reason people choose Zangoose is for a stupid powerful core breaker that still has a good matchup against offense. Ursaring pretty much throws the latter advantage away just to refine the former advantage by a marginal bit. I say 'marginal' because Ursaring beats less than a handful of Pokemon that Zangoose doesn't beat takes longer to beat; yeah it's not like Zangoose outright loses to said Pokemon. The only Pokemon in the tier that Zangoose struggles to beat even with prediction that Ursaring doesn't bat an eye at are: Carracosta, Mawile, and lol Carbink. That is basically it. Every other Pokemon Ursaring can claim to beat, Zangoose does just as effectively. Sure the Garbodor matchup is a bummer for Zangoose but Goose will kill Garbo before it even succumbs to residual damage (unless it stayed in too long), meaning you've not only KOed one of the fattest hazard setters in the tier but still have one last ditch attack left in Quick Attack. Meanwhile, Zangoose thrashes offensive Garbodor in much the same manner, while Ursaring can get checked by offensive Garbo (add that to the list of mons that check Guts Ursa but not Zangoose). Btw, Ferroseed hard counters your Ursaring, and even threatens the very same kind of contact damage which you've gone on great lengths saying Ursaring can avoid due to being able to KO Garbo without touching it.
Takes longer to beat pretty much means doesn't beat when you're that frail, I'd add rhydon too.
OK about ferro, zanz has a big cahnce of dying facing it too though considering 2 contacts, 2 toxic turns and a def drop.

Considering the large number of mons I already mentioned checking Ursa (but not Goose), and the fact that only a limited number of Pokemon can revenge Zangoose without eating a chunk from boosted Quick Attack, Zangoose's speed (and priority) far exceed Ursa's bulk when it comes to evading revenge killing; I would hardly say Ursa is very hard for most of its checks to KO either, especially with the accumulating damage.
I consider I've already answered that, if Ursaring has made 2 kills, I consider it's done it's job and used it's advantages overzangoose . I disagree about the revenge killig point since as I said, mons that outspeed or have priority (to which zanz practically instantly dies) are usualy more common than mons that outspeed and kill ursaring (sawk and primeape being the only ones to have SE stab and outspeed, others will take shaky LO damage on innacurate moves or be choice locked).

Gurdurr does indeed force them both out initially, but Gurdurr can still switch into Ursaring provided it only took a Crunch earlier (unlike Zangoose's Knock Off), is where I was getting at there. Indeed, switching around Ursaring definitely has its risks, but it does do an ok job of wearing down Ursaring considering Ursa's options are not as safe as Zangoose, which implies Goose is even harder to pivot around. Sure, there is always the risk of Knock Off spamming not working out, but that doesn't necessarily make Ursa easier to play with.
If you consider ursaring crunches twice, you got to consider zangoose knocks off twice.
Switching around ursaring is an effective way of taking off 19% of it's hp at the cost of a full health mon yeah.

Pretty sure I emphasized "neutral" natures when I talked about mons that could potentially run positive natures to get the drop on Goose, so in that context it does outspeed all of them. The mons I mentioned that would obviously get rocked by a Facade take into account that you are in a position where you aren't spamming Facade 24/7 aka being forced to use coverage, which those mons can indeed take, and as deadly as Ursa is even its coverage moves can fall short in terms of neutral power (Guts Earthquake does not OHKO Sawk). If you are in a position to spam Facade, Zangoose is kind of the winner here anyway. Priority from Pokemon slower than both Ursa and Goose is also much rarer than the plethora of Pokemon that outrun Ursa but don't outspeed Zangoose, and that is discounting certain slower Sucker Punch users such as Cacturne and Kecleon since Quick Attack bops them, so again it doesn't seem as worthwhile. Btw Piloswine is a very shaky example considering unboosted Knock Off + boosted Facade takes it out, leaving Goose without much worse for wear even after taking a Shard.
Talking about priority as if it was the answer to everything is kind of ironic when you say things can switch on bear if he goes for the wrong coverage move since everything can switch in on a quick attack. Piloswine can do very good against zangoose considering there's like 10 other scenarios in which ice shard practically kills him. Let's not forget what I talked about earlier too, what are you doing using an unboosted knock off unless it's for killing off something that's very weakend, gourgeist will not be dying to you and all other ghosts outspeed you so you weren't aiming them either which means the thing that switched out to piloswine probably would have killed you if it stayed in (same goes for rhydon, ferroseed and all other eviolite users you consider knocking off on the switch).
Ursaring's matchup against HO is considerably weaker than Goose's matchup against the supposed stall that Ursa breaks but Goose itself cannot. As for Quick Feet, it still outspeeds Pyroar and is practically the closest mix between Swellow's speed and Zangoose's coverage while still maintaining the power of STAB Facades, which is frankly a better niche than what Guts Ursaring offers in this meta (Spiritomb meta was the only meta where Ursa shined alongside, but never over, Zangoose).

I don't deny Ursa's overall potency nor its similarities with Zangoose as a whole, but I can interpret 'Zangoose wouldn't have been better in at least 50% of situations' as 'Zangoose can replace Ursaring in at least 50% of these situations and not that much would change). Perhaps it's your team structure that somehow makes use of Ursaring's bulk, but if all goes well Ursaring shouldn't be taking hits in the first place, because if it does it would most likely die in like 2 turns at most (rendering Ursaring's bulk advantage fairly moot); it very rarely matters that, say LO Pyroar cannot OHKO Ursa off the bat when Ursa automatically puts itself in range. Ursa's defensive presence is still very limited (you switch into Scalds like once, twice if you got off without taking further damage like from SR) so you can't fault Zangoose for this, and it's not like the immunity to status is exclusive to Ursa alone since Goose can activate its Orb without having to switch into status directly and instead pulls it off via revenge kill, slow VoltTurn, or double switch. Outside against full-blown stall, I really can't see any advantages Ursa would have over Zangoose, because Zangoose's ability to rip past opponents like Samurott, Mortar, Ludicolo, neutral base 80s-86s, etc.. without taking an additional hit + boosted priority means Goose proves more useful in almost every other matchup ranging from balance to semi-stall to offense to "speed control" offense (weather, Trick Room). I've been running Jolly Zangoose to get an assured advantage over the pesky positive 80s-86s, and so far I've not noticed any noticeable drop in power because Zangoose still hits sufficiently goddamn hard. Guts Ursaring is kind of the definition of overkill, and giving up both speed and priority doesn't seem worth it for what Zangoose could do already. You say that it's very possible for Ursa to as good (ok) / be better (debatable) than Zangoose in so many (very debatable) situations, while Goose has pretty much proven that speed + priority + insane power yields more advantages than dwindling bulk + additional (but unnecessary) coverage + ~equally insane power.
When did a good player become a good player by telling himself «if all goes well»? 2 Turns is probably 2 kills vs one for your opponent so good. Switching in on scald once or twice is enough too.
I don't think you can say zangoose has an easier time activating it's orb since it comes once again down to speed vs coverage and bulk.
What you say about match-ups is practically coming out of a fariy tale, Offense has loads of ways of revenge killing both threats and 55 jolly is not slow at all. Offense will extremly often use slower garbo, slower toad, rhydon, golurk, eggy and plenty of things slower than ursaring for him to shine, if not, the guy probably has 0 def invesment and is wrecked by sneasel or anything with a scarf.

In the end I think for all the differences, B is not exagerated at all. Yeah zangoose is better at sweeping but I haven't seen that thing sweep more than 2 mons since 2013. On the other hand, zangoose's bulk is so bad if you miss your prediction just once, it's over for him (against any playstyle), not ursaring, on the wallbreaking point, he simply IS better because he can come in on walls often more than once and actually kill them without dying himself. If something is bugging you on the opposing team and doesn't OHKO ursaring, the bear can probably take it out at the cost of his life or else he'll kill something else for free. If he's not late game sweeping, zangoose can only kill what's slower and has to have previously activated it's orb because he can't tank a hit. Yeah you've brought some good points, but I don't think they're enough to get ursaring to something lower than B rank when zangoose is A-.

Last edited:

Punchshroom

Ok, some good arguments here. Ok about max def gourgeist super, it's not super common though, isn't doing anything to something coming in since all it does is synthesis and zangoose isn't killing either since knock off loses power after the first shot so you might as well add it to your counters in the next paragraph (and def drop chance + crit chance is still over 25% chance to happen which isn't bad). Ok too about the suicide vs garbo, still ursaring has a huge chance of coming out alive against weezing.
However, when you say ursaring losing it's advantage over goose if it switches on a weak attack because it's bulk then disappears... Well it just used it's bulk effectively, that's the point of bulk: tanking attacks.
For the last bit, you say zanz can use his speed to activate it's orb, well ursaring can use his bulk, better coverage and he's not even slow anyway.
Volt-turn being better with zanz is just completely absurd and comes back to the usual bulk vs speed debate in which case ursaring wins again becuase some voltturners are quite fast (in fact quite a lot).
If Gourgeist switches into the Dark move, it has a higher chance of getting 2HKOed by Knock Off than Crunch (in fact I am pretty sure Geist survives 2 of Ursa's Crunches after Lefties); if Geist does not switch into the Dark move, Ursaring does not fare any better against Gourgeist than Zangoose does since Leech Seed + Lefties combined with Synthesis spam puts Ursaring on the backfoot pretty quickly. Also trying to justify Ursa's bulk by switching into attacks doesn't seem like an advantage to me (preferably this should be avoided), it's more a desperate effort of trying to salvage Ursaring's statistical pros, and unlike Ursa's bulk, Zangoose's Speed doesn't dwindle as time goes on. I mentioned Zangoose being paired with VoltTurn better since there are indeed slow users, but not only that Zangoose can also prey on a greater number of double switches since it outspeeds more Pokemon.

Takes longer to beat pretty much means doesn't beat when you're that frail, I'd add rhydon too.
OK about ferro, zanz has a big cahnce of dying facing it too though considering 2 contacts, 2 toxic turns and a def drop.
Rhydon is an opponent that Zangoose can easily overcome with mild prediction: if Rhydon switches into any non-Normal move (Knock Off / Close Combat), it gets taken out by the subsequent CC. I mentioned Costa since this doesn't apply to it. As for Ferroseed, at least Zangoose can KO it in the first place, while Ursaring getting hardwalled by Ferro means it won't get any work done on the rest of Ferro's teammates.

252 Atk Guts Ursaring Facade (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Ferroseed: 87-103 (29.7 - 35.2%) -- 22.8% chance to 3HKO
252 Atk Guts Ursaring Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Ferroseed: 84-99 (28.7 - 33.9%) -- 1.4% chance to 3HKO

That's a definition of a hard counter if I've ever seen one. Zangoose already claims to 2HKO pretty much the whole meta, with even its hardest counters in Mawile and Carbink being 3HKOed by Close Combat or simply softened up with Zangoose's own Knock Off; both don't even commonly carry recovery, so they can only stop Goose's rampage for so long. Ursaring on the other hand trades matchups against offense for a few marginal benefits against a handful of mons Goose doesn't just steamroll in one hit....and you're telling me Ursa still has the chance to get hardwalled, unlike Zangoose? At least Zangoose isn't as hardwalled by the mons it doesn't beat with EQ + Seed Bomb coverage as Ursaring is hardwalled by Ferroseed.

And on the subject of contact damage, I'm just going to address the biggest issue I have with the arguments so far: Garbodor's advantage over Zangoose is greatly exaggerated. There are two outcomes of Goose vs Garbo:

Worst case scenario (contact move + contact move): 100 - [16 - 6] - [16 - 25 - 12] = ~25%
Best case scenario (Knock Off + contact move): 100 - [16 - 6] - [25 - 12] = ~41%

Both scenarios result in a dead Garbo and a still very alive Zangoose. How would this be considered an unfavorable trade in Zangoose's case? Sure Goose is near dead, but it still KOed Garbodor and has a couple of attacks left in it that pack a punch, so its short time left on the field can still be enough for Goose to leave more of its marks thanks to its speed and priority. And this is assuming Garbodor is healthy enough to take two hits from Zangoose in the first place since Adamant Facade has a miniscule chance to outright OHKO (which leaves Zangoose at a very manageable ~53%). I don't see Ursaring's luxury in avoiding this extra damage to be worth giving up Goose's various advantages. If Ursaring OHKOes Garbodor with Earthquake this would be a different story, but it doesn't (does less than Facade), so Ursa still has to play around the fact that the Garbo player may just save it to bait the damage on Ursaring later. Which means Ursaring still has to predict correctly if it wants to come out on top of Garbo with more health than Zangoose would; even the reward-risk ratio is heavily skewed against Ursaring's favor: predicting correctly means Ursa gets like a couple of extra turns at most to live, but predicting incorrectly means you'd pretty much be better off using a Zangoose in the first place. And since Zangoose still ends up trading favorably with Garbodor in the end, why go through that trouble of trying to marginally improve the Garbodor matchup when it still requires pinpoint prediction just to work out (there is also the possibility of offensive Garbodor which can punish Ursa before it fires off its EQ)?

I consider I've already answered that, if Ursaring has made 2 kills, I consider it's done it's job and used it's advantages overzangoose . I disagree about the revenge killig point since as I said, mons that outspeed or have priority (to which zanz practically instantly dies) are usualy more common than mons that outspeed and kill ursaring (sawk and primeape being the only ones to have SE stab and outspeed, others will take shaky LO damage on innacurate moves or be choice locked).
Zangoose can very easily pull off 2 kills as well. I also feel like you're exaggerating Zangoose's vulnerability to priority; most priority users only get like one hit off that rarely deals over 40% before they get instantly slaughtered, and Goose can even stave off the strongest priority move in Sucker Punch with its own Quick Attack. The priority move it has to worry about would be Mach Punch, but Ursa has trouble against that regardless. While Goose does take more damage from weaker priority attacks, the fact that it evades the stronger one in Sucker Punch means that Goose's matchup against priority isn't really that much worse than Ursaring's.

If you consider ursaring crunches twice, you got to consider zangoose knocks off twice.
Switching around ursaring is an effective way of taking off 19% of it's hp at the cost of a full health mon yeah.
Um, I never said anything about them using their moves twice, just once. The latter scenario is applicable to Zangoose as well, except Goose is even harder to pivot around due to its stronger and safer attacks, most notably Knock Off which cripples things by default anyway.

Talking about priority as if it was the answer to everything is kind of ironic when you say things can switch on bear if he goes for the wrong coverage move since everything can switch in on a quick attack. Piloswine can do very good against zangoose considering there's like 10 other scenarios in which ice shard practically kills him. Let's not forget what I talked about earlier too, what are you doing using an unboosted knock off unless it's for killing off something that's very weakend, gourgeist will not be dying to you and all other ghosts outspeed you so you weren't aiming them either which means the thing that switched out to piloswine probably would have killed you if it stayed in (same goes for rhydon, ferroseed and all other eviolite users you consider knocking off on the switch).
252+ Atk Piloswine Ice Shard vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Zangoose: 91-108 (31.7 - 37.6%)

I don't know about you but that damage alone is nowhere near enough to stop a Zangoose from clearing out a chunk of your team regardless. Piloswine doesn't even make a good initial check since it gets 2HKOed even if Zangoose wasn't Toxic Boosted on the first hit. And no, throwing out unboosted Knock Offs that don't KO the opponent is a horrible way to lead off with a Zangoose; if Goose is using any unboosted attack it had better KO the foe, and between Goose's decently fast Dark + Fighting coverage it isn't very hard to pull that off to get the Toxic orb off unscathed.

When did a good player become a good player by telling himself «if all goes well»? 2 Turns is probably 2 kills vs one for your opponent so good. Switching in on scald once or twice is enough too.
I don't think you can say zangoose has an easier time activating it's orb since it comes once again down to speed vs coverage and bulk.
What you say about match-ups is practically coming out of a fariy tale, Offense has loads of ways of revenge killing both threats and 55 jolly is not slow at all. Offense will extremly often use slower garbo, slower toad, rhydon, golurk, eggy and plenty of things slower than ursaring for him to shine, if not, the guy probably has 0 def invesment and is wrecked by sneasel or anything with a scarf.
"If all goes well" implies things are going smoothly, like using Scyther without SR on your side or something. Having Ursaring take damage before even attacking sounds more like a desperation move than a plan if anything, because newsflash, Ursaring of all things isn't the kind of mon to be in a position to take hits, especially when accounting its dwindling health (like who gives a damn if ex: Dodrio is bulkier than Swellow?). And I don't see how the '2 turns = 2 kills' thing doesn't translate toward Zangoose as well. Indeed, offense has its ways around both Goose and Ursaring but at least Goose isn't completely helpless. Jolly base 55 may be just enough to outrun walls, but as far as offensive mons go that is just about as slow as it gets (aside from neutral base 55s). The slower Pokemon Ursaring preys on is still very applicable to Zangoose, except the list extends to more offensive Pokemon such as Samurott, Magmortar, neutral Sawk / Mesprit / Rotom-S, etc. and even the likes of offensive Seismitoad and Garbodor which are on the rise, so even Ursaring may not be able to nab them without eating a big hit first, while Zangoose avoids all of these issues.

In the end I think for all the differences, B is not exagerated at all. Yeah zangoose is better at sweeping but I haven't seen that thing sweep more than 2 mons since 2013. On the other hand, zangoose's bulk is so bad if you miss your prediction just once, it's over for him (against any playstyle), not ursaring, on the wallbreaking point, he simply IS better because he can come in on walls often more than once and actually kill them without dying himself. If something is bugging you on the opposing team and doesn't OHKO ursaring, the bear can probably take it out at the cost of his life or else he'll kill something else for free. If he's not late game sweeping, zangoose can only kill what's slower and has to have previously activated it's orb because he can't tank a hit. Yeah you've brought some good points, but I don't think they're enough to get ursaring to something lower than B rank when zangoose is A-.
Meanwhile, I haven't seen an Ursaring KO anything faster than it after KOing a slower mon, while Zangoose not only KOes the slower mon but gets nice chip damage on the faster threat as well. Ursaring may be able to switch in on certain walls (certainly not even most of them), but it doesn't even do a good job at that since it can do so like once, twice if lucky. Zangoose's bulk may be bad, but mispredicts with Zangoose really aren't as punishing as they would seem (the aforementioned Garbodor calc being the best example), and Goose can usually still get away with it with speed and priority. The other bolded sentence gives off the impression that you'd directly switch Ursaring into a weaker attacker and try to nuke the foe, but since that means taking damage alongside the building Toxic damage, that would imply Ursaring is under even greater pressure from mispredicting since it won't get another chance; if I'm mistaken about the context and you simply meant that you'd send Ursaring in as a revenge killer, then Zangoose performs that role just as well, if not better, for obvious reasons.

Now don't get me wrong, I acknowledge Ursaring's individual strengths as a Pokemon, but it still doesn't have worthwhile, if not consistent advantages over Zangoose that would warrant significant usage. Ursaring's additional coverage moves are nice, but are more of a luxury than an outright necessity for the wallbreaking role, since Ursaring doesn't really KO much of anything that Zangoose can't outright. The greater bulk can only be made use of for so long before it fades away, and more often than not doesn't even end up mattering. It really seems more on par with the likes of Dodrio, Kadabra, Mr. Mime, Beheeyem, Audino, even Simisear (D Rank :/) etc. as overall decent / solid Pokemon that unfortunately are outshined by their competition which are generally more useful. Even Primeape, one of the tier's only solid offensive Fighting-types, sits in B- due to Sawk being far more effective as a whole.

Players who find themselves pressured by Guts Ursaring are most likely also pressured by Zangoose, but teams vulnerable to Zangoose aren't necessarily prone to Guts Ursaring since there are a decent number of Pokemon that fall between Goose's and Ursa's speed tier; from most of the teams I've seen so far, these Pokes such as Mesprit, Sawk, Magmortar, Samurott, Ludicolo, Klinklang, etc. are common enough that you can expect to see at least one of them, if not two, on a team, and from my experience, being able to cleave through these numerous threats without getting sniped down certainly beats Ursa's (dubious) ability to tank their hits. If Ursaring was to be bumped in Rank (I'm still not all for it imo, but a case can be made for Ursa since Quick Feet alone is what placed it in C to begin with), the bare maximum of C+ is all I can see it going.

Edit:
Some flawed logic here. We all know the superior coverage set is normal + fight + dark coverage and you would call ferroseed a hard counter?
It just dies to CC if its guts and then what? What's great about Ursaring is that it can force so many 50/50 situations thanks to its variety of sets and coverage.
BTW, just for future reference, there is no hard counter to ursaring. In fact, they all just die to a +2 facade / coverage move. If anyone does have a serious counter to Ursa that can deal with it in every situation, its non existent.
In case you didn't pay attention to the argument, Sweet Jesus is nominating Ursaring for a raise based on a particular moveset involving Earthquake and Seed Bomb. If Ursaring attempts to deviate from this moveset by fitting other coverage moves such as Close Combat, it would share too much similiarity with Zangoose and risk getting overshadowed further, which would weaken Ursa's remaining niche and provide even less reason to use Ursa over Zangoose. However, said moveset that gives Guts Ursa its niche over Zangoose has a hard counter in Ferroseed, while Zangoose's regular set has no (or not as) hard counters in comparison. It is already tricky enough to dig up reasons to justify using Guts Ursaring over Zangoose, and when Ursa has a hard counter while Zangoose does not, it's not helping Ursaring's case.

Last edited:
If Gourgeist switches into the Dark move, it has a higher chance of getting 2HKOed by Knock Off than Crunch (in fact I am pretty sure Geist survives 2 of Ursa's Crunches after Lefties); if Geist does not switch into the Dark move, Ursaring does not fare any better against Gourgeist than Zangoose does since Leech Seed + Lefties combined with Synthesis spam puts Ursaring on the backfoot pretty quickly. Also trying to justify Ursa's bulk by switching into attacks doesn't seem like an advantage to me (preferably this should be avoided), it's more a desperate effort of trying to salvage Ursaring's statistical pros, and unlike Ursa's bulk, Zangoose's Speed doesn't dwindle as time goes on. I mentioned Zangoose being paired with VoltTurn better since there are indeed slow users, but not only that Zangoose can also prey on a greater number of double switches since it outspeeds more Pokemon.

Rhydon is an opponent that Zangoose can easily overcome with mild prediction: if Rhydon switches into any non-Normal move (Knock Off / Close Combat), it gets taken out by the subsequent CC. I mentioned Costa since this doesn't apply to it. As for Ferroseed, at least Zangoose can KO it in the first place, while Ursaring getting hardwalled by Ferro means it won't get any work done on the rest of Ferro's teammates.

252 Atk Guts Ursaring Facade (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Ferroseed: 87-103 (29.7 - 35.2%) -- 22.8% chance to 3HKO
252 Atk Guts Ursaring Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Ferroseed: 84-99 (28.7 - 33.9%) -- 1.4% chance to 3HKO

That's a definition of a hard counter if I've ever seen one. Zangoose already claims to 2HKO pretty much the whole meta, with even its hardest counters in Mawile and Carbink being 3HKOed by Close Combat or simply softened up with Zangoose's own Knock Off; both don't even commonly carry recovery, so they can only stop Goose's rampage for so long. Ursaring on the other hand trades matchups against offense for a few marginal benefits against a handful of mons Goose doesn't just steamroll in one hit....and you're telling me Ursa still has the chance to get hardwalled, unlike Zangoose? At least Zangoose isn't as hardwalled by the mons it doesn't beat with EQ + Seed Bomb coverage as Ursaring is hardwalled by Ferroseed.

And on the subject of contact damage, I'm just going to address the biggest issue I have with the arguments so far: Garbodor's advantage over Zangoose is greatly exaggerated. There are two outcomes of Goose vs Garbo:

Worst case scenario (contact move + contact move): 100 - [16 - 6] - [16 - 25 - 12] = ~25%
Best case scenario (Knock Off + contact move): 100 - [16 - 6] - [25 - 12] = ~41%

Both scenarios result in a dead Garbo and a still very alive Zangoose. How would this be considered an unfavorable trade in Zangoose's case? Sure Goose is near dead, but it still KOed Garbodor and has a couple of attacks left in it that pack a punch, so its short time left on the field can still be enough for Goose to leave more of its marks thanks to its speed and priority. And this is assuming Garbodor is healthy enough to take two hits from Zangoose in the first place since Adamant Facade has a miniscule chance to outright OHKO (which leaves Zangoose at a very manageable ~53%). I don't see Ursaring's luxury in avoiding this extra damage to be worth giving up Goose's various advantages. If Ursaring OHKOes Garbodor with Earthquake this would be a different story, but it doesn't (does less than Facade), so Ursa still has to play around the fact that the Garbo player may just save it to bait the damage on Ursaring later. Which means Ursaring still has to predict correctly if it wants to come out on top of Garbo with more health than Zangoose would; even the reward-risk ratio is heavily skewed against Ursaring's favor: predicting correctly means Ursa gets like a couple of extra turns at most to live, but predicting incorrectly means you'd pretty much be better off using a Zangoose in the first place. And since Zangoose still ends up trading favorably with Garbodor in the end, why go through that trouble of trying to marginally improve the Garbodor matchup when it still requires pinpoint prediction just to work out (there is also the possibility of offensive Garbodor which can punish Ursa before it fires off its EQ)?

Zangoose can very easily pull off 2 kills as well. I also feel like you're exaggerating Zangoose's vulnerability to priority; most priority users only get like one hit off that rarely deals over 40% before they get instantly slaughtered, and Goose can even stave off the strongest priority move in Sucker Punch with its own Quick Attack. The priority move it has to worry about would be Mach Punch, but Ursa has trouble against that regardless. While Goose does take more damage from weaker priority attacks, the fact that it evades the stronger one in Sucker Punch means that Goose's matchup against priority isn't really that much worse than Ursaring's.

Um, I never said anything about them using their moves twice, just once. The latter scenario is applicable to Zangoose as well, except Goose is even harder to pivot around due to its stronger and safer attacks, most notably Knock Off which cripples things by default anyway.

252+ Atk Piloswine Ice Shard vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Zangoose: 91-108 (31.7 - 37.6%)

I don't know about you but that damage alone is nowhere near enough to stop a Zangoose from clearing out a chunk of your team regardless. Piloswine doesn't even make a good initial check since it gets 2HKOed even if Zangoose wasn't Toxic Boosted on the first hit. And no, throwing out unboosted Knock Offs that don't KO the opponent is a horrible way to lead off with a Zangoose; if Goose is using any unboosted attack it had better KO the foe, and between Goose's decently fast Dark + Fighting coverage it isn't very hard to pull that off to get the Toxic orb off unscathed.

"If all goes well" implies things are going smoothly, like using Scyther without SR on your side or something. Having Ursaring take damage before even attacking sounds more like a desperation move than a plan if anything, because newsflash, Ursaring of all things isn't the kind of mon to be in a position to take hits, especially when accounting its dwindling health (like who gives a damn if ex: Dodrio is bulkier than Swellow?). And I don't see how the '2 turns = 2 kills' thing doesn't translate toward Zangoose as well. Indeed, offense has its ways around both Goose and Ursaring but at least Goose isn't completely helpless. Jolly base 55 may be just enough to outrun walls, but as far as offensive mons go that is just about as slow as it gets (aside from neutral base 55s). The slower Pokemon Ursaring preys on is still very applicable to Zangoose, except the list extends to more offensive Pokemon such as Samurott, Magmortar, neutral Sawk / Mesprit / Rotom-S, etc. and even the likes of offensive Seismitoad and Garbodor which are on the rise, so even Ursaring may not be able to nab them without eating a big hit first, while Zangoose avoids all of these issues.

Meanwhile, I haven't seen an Ursaring KO anything faster than it after KOing a slower mon, while Zangoose not only KOes the slower mon but gets nice chip damage on the faster threat as well. Ursaring may be able to switch in on certain walls (certainly not even most of them), but it doesn't even do a good job at that since it can do so like once, twice if lucky. Zangoose's bulk may be bad, but mispredicts with Zangoose really aren't as punishing as they would seem (the aforementioned Garbodor calc being the best example), and Goose can usually still get away with it with speed and priority. The other bolded sentence gives off the impression that you'd directly switch Ursaring into a weaker attacker and try to nuke the foe, but since that means taking damage alongside the building Toxic damage, that would imply Ursaring is under even greater pressure from mispredicting since it won't get another chance; if I'm mistaken about the context and you simply meant that you'd send Ursaring in as a revenge killer, then Zangoose performs that role just as well, if not better, for obvious reasons.

Now don't get me wrong, I acknowledge Ursaring's individual strengths as a Pokemon, but it still doesn't have worthwhile, if not consistent advantages over Zangoose that would warrant significant usage. Ursaring's additional coverage moves are nice, but are more of a luxury than an outright necessity for the wallbreaking role, since Ursaring doesn't really KO much of anything that Zangoose can't outright. The greater bulk can only be made use of for so long before it fades away, and more often than not doesn't even end up mattering. It really seems more on par with the likes of Dodrio, Kadabra, Mr. Mime, Beheeyem, Audino, even Simisear (D Rank :/) etc. as overall decent / solid Pokemon that unfortunately are outshined by their competition which are generally more useful. Even Primeape, one of the tier's only solid offensive Fighting-types, sits in B- due to Sawk being far more effective as a whole.

Players who find themselves pressured by Guts Ursaring are most likely also pressured by Zangoose, but teams vulnerable to Zangoose aren't necessarily prone to Guts Ursaring since there are a decent number of Pokemon that fall between Goose's and Ursa's speed tier; from most of the teams I've seen so far, these Pokes such as Mesprit, Sawk, Magmortar, Samurott, Ludicolo, Klinklang, etc. are common enough that you can expect to see at least one of them, if not two, on a team, and from my experience, being able to cleave through these numerous threats without getting sniped down certainly beats Ursa's (dubious) ability to tank their hits. If Ursaring was to be bumped in Rank (I'm still not all for it imo, but a case can be made for Ursa since Quick Feet alone is what placed it in C to begin with), the bare maximum of C+ is all I can see it going.
Some flawed logic here. We all know the superior coverage set is normal + fight + dark coverage and you would call ferroseed a hard counter?
It just dies to CC if its guts and then what? What's great about Ursaring is that it can force so many 50/50 situations thanks to its variety of sets and coverage.
BTW, just for future reference, there is no hard counter to ursaring. In fact, they all just die to a +2 facade / coverage move. If anyone does have a serious counter to Ursa that can deal with it in every situation, its non existent.

Sure, zangoose is quite a good Mon maybe to have over ursaring, but this is all pending team building structure, and maybe your team does need a lure for bulky rocks/waters, Ursa does fill a niche and I reckon we have a serious case for a B- upgrade.

A Mon with no switch ins at all doesn't deserve to stay in the same Rank as Marowak and Stoutland, both of whom have less "niche" than Ursa.

i don't think they're talking about SD close combat ursaring hjad, but 4 attacks with seed bomb (for rhydon and defensive toad) and earthquake (to avoid rocky helmet from garbodor). it's gotta use the things that seperate it from zangoose, ie different coverage

personally i can see B- based off of theorymon, but as goomy said one should really use it before voicing an opinion.

some impressive posts here, i'm astounded at the lengths people go to to defend their opinion on what i consider a rather trivial matter lol

Alright massive update incoming, these were all discussed with multiple ppl. Really had to think about this one.

How our discussion went. (I'm homer and cased is Lisa)

A lot of the lower D tier was removed and will not be readded unless there is a sufficient enough reason to do so. From now on things that aren't NU by usage will need very good reasoning to be added, as the lower rankings were getting filled with very very niche mons. D rank had a bunch of mons removed so D rank was combined into one rank.
Floatzel C- ==> C+

Just quickly noting that Floatzel apparently actually got mistakenly dropped then instead of moved to C+(or perhaps accidentally removed at a later date), unless I'm just missing something incredibly obvious, which if so there's no reason this mon shouldn't be listed anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)