XY OU Shadow-Blades Dragon

Should Aegislash remain in OU?

• Total voters
Hello Smogon it has been a while and with the new Suspect Test, I've decided to make a new team. This seems successful enough through testing and I would like some opinions on how to improve apon it.
First of all, I added a Hex Gengar. I wanted an uncommon set similar to my preferred play-style, stall.

Next I added AV Conkelder since I needed to kill Bisharps and Heatrans in the metagame.

Quagsire came next so I could check Aeglislash better. It also takes Belly Drum-Azumarill to an extent (if able to burn) and making SD set-up sweepers less scary.

SpD Talonflame is there to break stuff with taunt and inflict burns to stuff to make Gengar's job easier and save myself from Volcorona with Brave Bird.

Latias Became my bulky defogger to keep Talonflame alive, and let my team switch freely. It also kills stuff with its now average speed.

Scizor became my mega because I needed a defensive win condition.

Scizor (M) @ Scizorite
Ability: Swarm -> Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 144 Atk / 116 SpD
248 HP / 72 Atk / 188 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Knock Off
- Swords Dance
- Roost

My Mega Slot and Win Condition Scizor is a valued member of the team.
The EV spread Allows It to take a Hidden Power Fire thrown at it by the Lati-twins and retaliate to them with Bug Bite.
It doesn't see the field until Magnazone or Magnaton is Knocked Out.

Gengar (M) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 32 HP / 224 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Sludge Bomb
- Hex
- Substitute
- Will-O-Wisp

I placed Gengar on this team to have an Offensive / Utility presence.
The EVs are somewhat standard, I put some into HP to keep up the Subsitutes.
Will-O-Wisp burns stuff, and Sludge Bomb poison fire types bar Heatran.
Hex hurts.

Latias (F) @ Life Orb
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Recover
- Defog

Latias, the bulky offensive Defogger.
Draco Meteor nukes things, Psyshock is for Blissey, Chansey, Clefable and Keldeo.
Recover is self explanatory and EVs are standard.
I'm considering Healing Wish over Recover

Clefable (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 248 HP / 96 Def / 164 SpD
Calm Nature
- Moonblast
- Aromatherapy
- Wish
- Protect

My cleric of the team relieves toxic and paralasis from my teammates and burn from Scizor.
Wish Pass is effective at healing Conkelder and, if something is passive enough, Gengar.
Unaware walls set-up sweepers such as Manaphy, Sub-mind Keldeo, Crocune asd Serperior.

Rotom-Wash @ Chesto Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spe
Bold Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Rest

Rotom-W checks Birdspam and is able to burn Belly Drum Azumarril for Clefable to handle, and it can kill (most) Landorus-Ts and Heatrans as well.
Rest lets it take status and Knock Off after berry is used.
Volt Switch gains momentum.

Conkeldurr (F) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Guts
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Knock Off
- Ice Punch

Standard Conkelder is offensive enough to deal heavy damage and bulk stuff.
Standard EVs Drain Punch Heals, Priority Mach Punch, Knock Off kills, for Ice Punch coverage.

Replays:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/oususpecttest-229157790 Latias tears apart the world.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/oususpecttest-228060315 Regular battle nothing new
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/oususpecttest-228054251 Team tears apart a gimmick

Talonflame (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Careful Nature
- Brave Bird
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roost
- Taunt

Talonflame needs support so that helps to explain the Latias.
Anyways, Talonflame gets Priority Roost and Brave Bird, Will-O-Wisp Cripples the most common switch-in (Landorus) and Taunt prevents set-up and hazards from being set.
EVs are SpD standard although it may be worth running more Atk to OHKO Keldeo.

Quagsire (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Recover

This thing here is where Clefable would be if Aegislash wasn't allowed in OU.
This Checks BD Azumarril and Psychical Aegislash.
Scald is for Burns. EQ for Aegislash and Heatran.
Toxic and Recover to Stall.

Scizor (M) @ Scizorite
Ability: Swarm
EVs: 248 HP / 144 Atk / 116 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Bug Bite
- Swords Dance
- Roost

Gengar (M) @ Black Sludge
EVs: 32 HP / 224 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Hex
- Substitute
- Will-O-Wisp

Latias (F) @ Life Orb
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Recover
- Defog

Talonflame (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Careful Nature
- Brave Bird
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roost
- Taunt

Quagsire (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Recover

Conkeldurr (F) @ Assault Vest
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Knock Off
- Ice Punch

Last edited:
Hello. Your team has a lot pf potential but there is a few things I would change. First Knock Off > Bug Bite on Scizor. Knock Off provides Much More coverage than Bug Bite and still gets STAB if the target has a item. Also run 248 HP / 84 Atk / 176 SpD If you want a true bulky Scizor with an Impish nature for added bulk.

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 84 Atk / 176 SpD
Adamant Nature / Impish Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Knock Off
- Swords Dance
- Roost

Next I would get rid of Quagsire for Rotom Wash. Quagsire is not all that good of a defensive wall, even with Unaware, and his Special Defense is terrible. Rotom is MUCH better defensively, has the same amount of weakness except not 4x weak to grass, and can regain momentum with Volt Switch.

Heavy Duty (Rotom-Wash) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 236 Def / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Pain Split
- Will-O-Wisp
Lastly, run 252 Atk / 236 SpD / 20 Spe on Conkeldurr instead of 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD.TCOnk has plenty of HP and the Spdef investment allows Conk to take Special hits MUCH better. 20 speed allows it to outpace opposing Conkeldurr and Hippowdon, allowing Conkeldurr to potentially beat Hippowdon one-on-one if Guts is activated.

Conkeldurr @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 Atk / 236 SpD / 20 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Knock Off
- Ice Punch

Thats it for now :)

Alkov

plopping
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Hi there, really solid team there however there are a few minor changes that I would like to recommend to make the team better.
Firstly, it'll be some nitpicking and that is to change Scizor's ability to Light Metal before Mega Evolving, though it is insignificant but it can help it come into Low Kick or Grass Knot while taking lesser damage. Secondly, it is to use Sludge Wave instead of Sludge Bomb on Gengar so as to hit things like Chesnaught and Sludge Wave's damage is usually more appreciated instead of the 30% chance for poison with Sludge Bomb.

Secondly, contrary to what Gorechomp suggested for M-Scizor to run Knock Off instead of Bug Bite, I'll actually recommend to keep it or use Superpower instead because your team lacks a direct switch-in to Bisharp apart from Conkeldurr which still takes a lot if the opponent uses Iron Head.
Thirdly, it is definitely better to run a little more Special Defense bulk on the Assault Vest Conkeldurr so that it switches into special hits way better, however unlike Gorechomp's spread, you don't really need the 20speed EVs because you dont need to outspeed Hippowdon to win it one-on-one since you'll force it into a stalemate by spamming Drain Punch and you'll win it naturally if Guts is activated.

Lastly, the Quagsire sorts of spoil the momentum of the team although the addition of Unaware from it is definitely appreciated. Instead of Quagsire, I'll recommend using an Unaware Clefable instead as it provides a Dragon Type switch-in which your team lacks while still providing the Unaware ability. However if you prefer to have more offensive momentum for the team while still having a decent physically defensive pivot, you can use Rotom-W with the sets given by Gorechomp, however run either 44speed EVs so as to outspeed max speed Belly Drum Azumarill or just run 0speed EVs since max speed Azumarill is almost non-existent now and you would appreciate all the bulk you can get on Rotom-W. :]

Here is my problem, Qaugsire needs to go, and I appreciate Clefable but Aegislash and Bisharp become a problem as I only have loose checks to them as you have notice. Should I use Defog Gliscor over Latias?

TPP

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Head TD
Here is my problem, Qaugsire needs to go, and I appreciate Clefable but Aegislash and Bisharp become a problem as I only have loose checks to them as you have notice. Should I use Defog Gliscor over Latias?
Gliscor can't have Defog with Poison Heal, so no. I'll work on a rate for this team, but I'll need some time if that's cool with you

Alkov

plopping
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Your Mega Scizor will become your primary switch in for Bisharp and Aegislash, with the given bulk it helps to take on hits relatively easily and Bug Bite helps to hit Bisharp neutrally. As for Aegislash, most of it in the metagame right now is special attacking which becomes a set up fodder for Mega Scizor. However if it happens to be a Swords Dance variant, you might need knock off to deal with it and replace Bug Bite. In this case, you'll have to pivot through Mega Scizor to Conkeldurr to deal with things like Bisharp better.

TPP

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Head TD
I'll be honest, this team is kinda hard to rate, but I'll give it a shot. Team Building process would be helpful. Your team struggles with Starmie, Bisharp, Heatran and Magnezone, and steel types in general. Conkeldurr and Quagsire can help, but they have to do too much work and can easily be worn down. You run a bulky Scizor to take HP Fire from Latios, unfortunately you didn't take Life Orb into account, and most Latios will have Life Orb because they want to use Defog too. The EV spread of 248 HP / 72 Atk / 188 SpD on Scizor will allow it to take an HP Fire from Life Orb Latios and avoid being 1HKO'd. The extra bulk also helps deal with Starmie and other special attackers like Raikou and Gengar. The only things Knock Off can touch that Bullet Punch + Bug Bite can't, are Aegi, Magnezone, Heatran, and other steel and fire types. Chances are you won't be staying in as most if not all of them are threats to Mega Scizor, so I recommend keeping Bug Bite because it hits a lot harder, and can hit Bisharp (big threat because it can Pursuit trap Latias and Gengar) for some good damage. Considering how your team struggles with steel types and dark types, I recommend running Life Orb Gengar with Sludge Wave, Shadow Ball, Focus Blast, Will-O-Wisp. Focus Blast will be extremely helpful when it hits, and allows you to 2HKO Ferrothorn, SpD Heatran, Skarmory, and 1HKO Bisharp, Magnezone and Tyranitar. Gengar is extremely useful offensively and he can be helpful to force the opponent to make difficult switch ins, so a set that maximizes that offensive talent will work out best. On Latias, Healing Wish > Recover will be more helpful because it can remove status conditions that cripple Scizor, and the rest of the team, and Healing Wish gives you an option when facing Bisharp or Tyranitar. I'm not too fond of stallbreaker Talonflame without bulk up, and Mega Sableye looks hard to kill, so Rotom-W > Quagsire and Clefable > Talonflame. Rotom-W gives you something to stop bird spam and stop Keldeo and Starmie at the same time. It also forms a good core with Scizor, as they cover each other's weakness. It also helps with Heatran, which I thought was really annoying for your team. Talonflame wasn't really doing much because it won't hit hard enough to kill threats, and Rotom-W and Gengar both have Will-O-Wisp, not to mention Rotom-W handles Lando-T really well. Clefable gets rid of Mega Sableye, which is something your team struggled with at first. It can also give you Stealth Rocks, something your team didn't have and is something really handy in the current meta. At this point I thought Thundurus, Raikou and Mega Manectric would be the biggest threats, but because Scizor and Conkeldurr have so much special bulk, those electric types are no longer a threat. The sets allow Rotom-W to have max physical bulk, and by running no speed EV's it'll get the slow volt switch, which allows you to bring something in safely. Clefable's set is to force Thundurus to 3HKO you if it wants to kill with Thunderbolt, and its the standard mixed set. You can either go for Moonlight + Heal Bell to have a cleric, or you can just use Wish + Protect to pass wishes to help your team recover. After these changes, I know Aegislash is still probably the biggest threat to your team. If it doesn't stay in OU, then you'll be fine, but just in case, I'll try to think of something that helps. Hope this helps ^_^

252 SpA Life Orb Latios Hidden Power Fire vs. 248 HP / 116 SpD Mega Scizor: 307-364 (89.5 - 106.1%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO

252 SpA Life Orb Latios Hidden Power Fire vs. 248 HP / 188 SpD Mega Scizor: 286-338 (83.3 - 98.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Life Orb Starmie Scald vs. 248 HP / 188 SpD Mega Scizor: 118-140 (34.4 - 40.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252 SpA Raikou Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 188 SpD Mega Scizor: 112-133 (32.6 - 38.7%) -- 99.4% chance to 3HKO

68+ Atk Technician Mega Scizor Bug Bite vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Bisharp: 160-189 (58.8 - 69.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Life Orb Thundurus Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 96+ SpD Clefable: 165-196 (41.8 - 49.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Clefable @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SpD
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rocks
- Moonblast
- Moonlight / Wish
- Heal Bell / Protect

EDIT: I tested out the changes and even though the opponent had a bad team, this replay still gives you an idea on how the changes workout. I'm Blue Shirt btw.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/oususpecttest-228512888

Last edited:
For starters, I really like the team. It looks like your Scizor is a more late game cleaner since you say specifically that you want to get rid of Magneton/Magnezone before you bring it in. So, I agree with Gorechomp and think that you should run a bulkier SD spread on Scizor with Impish nature and more bulk investment.
I recommend a more offensive spread on Gengar. I understand that Gengar is supposed to function more gimmicky since Hex isn't seen often, but the defensive nature of the Gengar kinda ruins the flow of the team since Gengar really doesn't give the team much coverage and Rotom basically does the same job of burning things except Rotom can more-or-less deal with Heatran and other fire types 1-on-1 using Hydro Pump better than Sludge bomb on Gengar.
SpDef Mega Sableye can also cause some trouble for your team since Clefable can't 2HKO with moonblast with Calm max SpDef.
Finally, I think that Healing Wish should be used over recover/roost on Latias. Healing wish can be a game-changer with its ability to heal up one of your teammates that doesn't have reliable recover itself in addition to healing said teammate's statuses.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)