ORAS UU Heliolisk + Rain

Yo. I wanted to use heliolisk, and it turned out, hey, rain is cool with this mon. Hyper offense is my favorite playstyles, and I think heliolisk really gets to show off in this team.

I wanted to use heliolisk on a hyper offense team, as it counters most of the bulky waters in the tier and has access to volt switch, which is always very useful.

I wanted a volt-turn partner, and I wanted something that could benefit from heliolisks ability to switchin completely on water types. Mienshao seemed fitting, as fighting spam is always very good on a team it is able to take on mons like dd mence and hydreigon if they try to switch into you.

I looked very weak to fighting spam as well as entei e-speed spam, and salamence is fitting on basically every team.

I was very weak to the electric type, and I wanted something that could take on grass types better as well as have stealth rock. The swampert tornadus core seemed fitting.

I realized I was very weak to grass, and I wanted a stealth rocker separate from swampert. I also noticed I was very weak to fairy, and nidoqueen is always, always good to have on a team.

I realize this teambuilding process isn't very in depth. Part of it is because I don't remember why I put specific mons onto here, and the other part is because most of the team was thrown together from scratch. I'm only putting it on here for suggestions and because it performed surprisingly well.

The Mons:

Heliolisk @ Life Orb
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hyper Voice
- Surf

There's not that much reason to choose heliolisk. Just choose it. lol The actual reason I wanted to use this mon was because I loved playing hyper offense, and my HO teams usually have problems dealing with bulky waters that last long term. I can't afford to rely on them making a mistake, and I wanted a 100% counter (not check) to bulky waters. The only bulky water that heliolisk can't switch into is swampert, and tentacruel nowadays carry acid spray for cune. It hits super hard with LO, and it has excellent coverage options. I chose surf over grass knot because the only thing grass knot hits is pert, and surf allows me to hit nidoqueen. The other moves are obligatory stabs.

Mienshao @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Reckless
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Knock Off
- Stone Edge
- U-turn

U-turn is the name of the game. Besides from having u-turn, mienshao is a really, really hard hitter and can ohko many fast threats in the uu meta. It outspeeds other choice scarfed mons that outspeed heliolisk, and can also deal with the bulky grass types that stop Heliolisk by u-turn. It also benefits from heliolisks ability to soak scald, as usually late game I can get a volt switch into it and spam HJK. It also outspeeds leftovers dd mence, which likes to setup on heliolisk and try to sweep my entire team (which it's very capable of doing). This moveset is standard, and I would not recommend changing it because mienshao already suffers from 4mss.

Salamence @ Lum Berry
Ability: Intimidate
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast
- Dragon Dance

I was looking very weak to Entei and Mienshao spam, and as stated before, Salamence is very good on every team. Lum berry is the chosen item here because it allows me to setup on scald mons without relying on the hax gods, and also allows me to switchin on entei provided rocks aren't up. Intimidate is the chosen ability because there's not that much reason to run moxie on a dragon dance set, and it allows me to soak fighting moves much better. The moveset is standard, with fire blast to hit Aggron, Forre, and grass types.

Swampert @ Swampertite
Ability: Damp
Jolly/Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Rain Dance

I originally put this on here for the stealth rocks, but that changed later. I realized that I was looking weak to other heliolisk as well as ampharos if it switched in on mienshao's knock off or heliolisk. I wanted a backup check to entei, so I came up with this mon. Rain is really good on HO because mega pert can set up on so many mons, and the sheer power of swampert allows him to blow through entire teams all on his own. It also takes on aerodactyl very well. I'm running a jolly nature currently, because I find it difficult to deal with aqua tail aerodactyl long term, but adamant is a very viable option. With Swift Swim, a jolly nature allows you to outspeed scarfed pokemon base 108 and below I believe. Ice punch was put on here after I implemented nidoqueen, because grass types are always a nuisance and I also needed this to make it so I wasn't setup fodder to mence.

Tornadus (M) @ Sky Plate
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Grass Knot
- Taunt
- Rain Dance

Obligatory partner with Swampert. Always. Tornadus had the ability to stop hazards with taunt, as many rock setters in the tier like to switch into tornadus. It also had the priority rain dance, which is always useful, and hurricane hits like an absolute truck with sky plate in the rain. Grass knot takes care of opposing swampert, and I generally pull double switches into this quite often to stop hazards as well as gain offensive momentum. It suffers deeply from rocks, and my entire team suffers from rocks, but the way I play it, the game ends before the residual damage gets to be too much. Sky plate is here instead of life orb to last as long as possible, and damp rock isn't neccesary as this is only a pseudo rain team. The only pokemon that benefit are Swampert, Tornadus, and Heliolisk. Of course, you can change this set however you see fit, I just enjoy using tornadus as hurricane spam in the rain is amazing.

Nidoqueen (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Sludge Wave
- Ice Beam
- Stealth Rock

I was looking very weak to fairy, and I wanted something that could guaranteed switchin. At the time, stealth rocks were on swampert, so I wanted a space on swampert to put ice punch and have another stealth rocker. Nidoqueen is a fantastic mon on any team, as it can take hits and dish back super hard. It deals with electric types and also deals with bulky steels that bother my tornadus and heliolisk. It doesn't exactly appreciate the rain, but Nidoqueen does what it wants to do and does it well. The set is standard.

Usage Tips:
-My check to Mega Pidgeot is Heliolisk in the rain. It's very makeshift, but it isn't all that bad. Heliolisk has a respectable spdf stat, and can take hurricanes for days combined with dry skin.
-If you don't find a way to break a certain core, pull as many double switches as possible to gain initiative. If you still can't break the core, then your playing the wrong opponent. Generally speaking, my team can break most common cores.
-Make sure to save certain mons, because while my team is hyper offense, switching is very neccesary and I get easily walled by certain mons.
-Nidoqueen is kind of a problem and it requires a lot of prediction to get past it. However, volt turn is fun to gain initiative on it and jolly pert can deal with it with a surprise outspeed.

Threatlist:
I honestly can't come up with any off the top of my head. I've played with this team quite a lot, and I never found it hard to deal with a certain mon besides maybe scarf kyurem, which is once in like a 100 battles. Not bragging, but I don't think I've lost more than twice with this team as of right now.

That's the team. Suggestions for improvement are much appreciated. I'm fully aware that it looks pretty crap on paper, but you don't know the team until you try it.

Heliolisk @ Life Orb
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hyper Voice
- Surf

Mienshao @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Reckless
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Knock Off
- Stone Edge
- U-turn

Salamence @ Lum Berry
Ability: Intimidate
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast
- Dragon Dance

Swampert @ Swampertite
Ability: Damp
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Rain Dance

Tornadus (M) @ Sky Plate
Ability: Prankster
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Grass Knot
- Taunt
- Rain Dance

Nidoqueen (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Sludge Wave
- Ice Beam
- Stealth Rock

Wanka

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
UUPL Champion
sup dude really solid team. There is not really much I want to change with this team because it seems really solid at being a powerhouse rain squad. The only thing I could suggest is I guess putting roost for fire blast on mence. Roost is very good on mence nowadays to reliably set up and heal and keep you out of the range of forms of priority like espeed and sucker punch etc. And paired with intimidate you can go to town on physical hitters. That being said, fire blast has its niches as well like hitting forretress and the likes of aggron so I do not see it being that much of an issue not having roost. I guess another thing is that you have fire blast with rain support so it kinda threw me off but just a suggestion none the less.

Really good team hope I helped n_n

sup dude really solid team. There is not really much I want to change with this team because it seems really solid at being a powerhouse rain squad. The only thing I could suggest is I guess putting roost for fire blast on mence. Roost is very good on mence nowadays to reliably set up and heal and keep you out of the range of forms of priority like espeed and sucker punch etc. And paired with intimidate you can go to town on physical hitters. That being said, fire blast has its niches as well like hitting forretress and the likes of aggron so I do not see it being that much of an issue not having roost. I guess another thing is that you have fire blast with rain support so it kinda threw me off but just a suggestion none the less.

Really good team hope I helped n_n
Yeah thanks for the help. I guess roost will make sense for mence, but I don't really find the chance with the amount of momentum I try to get by pulling doubles to actually recover with it. Well, with this team I don't think I clicked fire blast more than once so yeah that's probably the superior option lol

mm... This is a SOLID AS ROCK team! (kinda funny you have no rock-types). On Tornadus though, it's nice that Hurricane gets a boost from the Sky Plate, but I think it would be nice to change it to Damp Rock to make the rain last longer (it's not BW anymore). I'm no expert at BW, but I think this might be a better team in BW OU! I'll try it out!

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
mm... This is a SOLID AS ROCK team! (kinda funny you have no rock-types). On Tornadus though, it's nice that Hurricane gets a boost from the Sky Plate, but I think it would be nice to change it to Damp Rock to make the rain last longer (it's not BW anymore). I'm no expert at BW, but I think this might be a better team in BW OU! I'll try it out!
BW didn't have mega pert, and there's no reason to run damp rock as swampert is setting up it's own rain. That being said, why do you need prankster rain when pert can do it himself as he megas and activates swift swim? Wouldnt, say, focus blast make more sense in that slot? Prankster rain isn't really necessary unless you get another abuser

Have you ever considered using Thunder on Heliolisk? Since you have rain support it might worth to have the additional power and if you need to click an accurate move but don't have the rain set Hyper voice or Volt switch are there to save the day.

Have you ever considered using Thunder on Heliolisk? Since you have rain support it might worth to have the additional power and if you need to click an accurate move but don't have the rain set Hyper voice or Volt switch are there to save the day.
I actually considered it, but thunderbolt is just so much more reliable. Yes, this is a rain team, but it functions (I play it as) a pseudorain team. I usually set up rain at max 3 times a game, and that's only to set up swampert to win. I feel like thunder on heliolisk is very situational, and brings more rng than is neccesary into the mix. It gets no notable 2hko's, or at least off the top of my head.

BW didn't have mega pert, and there's no reason to run damp rock as swampert is setting up it's own rain. That being said, why do you need prankster rain when pert can do it himself as he megas and activates swift swim? Wouldnt, say, focus blast make more sense in that slot? Prankster rain isn't really necessary unless you get another abuser
Megapert doesn't find that much opportunity to self set up. Prankster rain is much more useful than focus blast imo, because you can set it up with tornadus as fodder late game and sweep with megapert, and selfset doesn't work against things like zam. Besides, superpower is better than focus blast for blissey anyways. If I wanted to run focus blast, I would run LO, and as stated previously, I can't afford to let tornadus get widdled throughout the game.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)