Pokkén Tournament

Seeing the discussion of the latest trailer shown by GameXplain, I honestly agree on their close analysis of the five current characters in the roster that each hold a rather unique personality. From Pikachu being a bad, bad boy, to Machamp's bold and overconfident showoff nature, Gardevoir's rather sexy callings trying to imitate the Japanese sexy woman, Lucario being the stoic and serious kind of character, and Suicune playing Xerneas advocate with grace, my guess is that each of the other upcoming characters will be given unique personas.

So right now, for players here in Smogon that plays the fighting genre of video games, is the marriage and alternating pattern switches of the Traditional 2D platormer of Street Fighter & Tekken with the 3D free roam area of Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Storm worth the competitive gameplay?

So right now, for players here in Smogon that plays the fighting genre of video games, is the marriage and alternating pattern switches of the Traditional 2D platormer of Street Fighter & Tekken with the 3D free roam area of Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Storm worth the competitive gameplay?
I'm a big fan of fighting games both competitive and casuals, mostly play Tekken (casually) and Smash (competitively) and this is has been a big debate I've been having with others of the FGC. Simple answer is no one has any idea. There has been no other fighting game like this before. Closest thing is probably 3D roaming fighters like Power Stone and even then Pokken is looking to be very unique. We really will have to wait and play it.

More in depth answer:
A full roaming 3D fighter like this that was played competitive is not something that has happened before, as far as I'm aware, but that does not mean it's impossible. It just means it hasn't happened yet. This game is being developed by Harada, producer and director of Tekken games, and people from Soul Caliber so from a competitive fighting game standpoint the development team is very competent. Harada has said he wants the game to be accessible to the casual child but have depth for the FGC (sounds very similar to competitive Pokemon!), so I think it's very safe to assume Pokken will have the mechanics and balance to be played competitive. The forced switching between the 2D and 3D fields are a very interesting mechanic that actually adds another layer of depth to the game. It creates a series of mind games about punishing your opponent into the 2D plain for combos.

Personally, I think it looks like Pokken will be a great game for competitive play! In the end it all comes down to the community and how passionate it becomes. The FGC is already having a hard time taking the game seriously, but so did Smash and look how far it has come. Just play the game when it comes, out enjoy yourselves, spread the word, show what the game is capable of doing. I think it will be worth it.

My only wish is that it goes international (especially yo H K cuz we do not have much arcades and those which do are like for bad people and teens who dont go to school)

And speaking of guaranteed international releases, out of curiosity, let us say that we have a fighting game made in Japan is released in Japan. How long does a fighting game take to be released into other countries and consoles? I want to keep in mind that from my knowledge, Fighting games undergo more than just bug fixes. I believe they do tier balancing similar as to how here in smogon balances Pokémon tiers. If so, how long does it take to create a competitive balanced fighting game before being confirmed to release outside of Japan?

I feel very sad that I am not playing Pokken right now =(. Hee hee hee. I want to play it like for 35334636373473473 hours in my life!! At least I have more traditional fighting games to tide me over until it comes (currently engaged alot in King of Fighters XIII atm fyi). Did you ever notice how the camera angle seems to shift from a 3D fighting game perspective, to a 2D fighting game perspective whenever a Pokemon sucessfully lands a first hit of a potential combo or something? Hmm!

Ahh, really looking forward to it. Get hype!

Last edited:

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I decided to test my necromancy skills and bump this thread since new info has been revealed in a stream (it's still going as I post this); Gengar is in the game.

I decided to test my necromancy skills and bump this thread since new info has been revealed in a stream (it's still going as I post this); Gengar is in the game.
How appropriate. Thread dies, next thing it sees is a Ghost.

Kinda wondering how Gengar's going end up functioning. His personality in most media makes him out to be kind of a devious trickster, but as any game player can tell you, the thing packs a (metaphorical) Punch. Curious how they're going to design him to fight, since Gengar's never really been shown as Physically capable (though Gardevoir's proven little an obstacle so far in that respect).

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Cool! From the reveal trailer it looks like Gengar might be difficult to hit (at least physically) since many of its movements and attacks makes it look like it goes either intangible or turn into something formless like a column of smoke/energy. And of course many of its attacks look like how you'd expect a Gengar to fight, with projectiles l(Shadow & Will-O-Wisp) and with its tongue for physical attacks. Also looks to be a bit of a trickster (fittingly) with it using a decoy surprise attack. I can see him being a popular character if what I observe is true, though he must have a negative we aren't seeing and if I were to guess I'd say he may have low defenses/HP so though you may have difficulty hitting him you'll do plenty of damage when you do.

Also, according to Serebii, Gengar is one of the Pokemon that was suggested by the Twitter suggestion poll so that's nice to hear we're finally seeing the results from that.

Also they revealed another stage which is a town:

(Because what better thing to do in such a peaceful town square then by beating the ever-loving s*** out of your opponent's Pokemon)

Also they explain how we're getting these great aerial shots of the Pokemon fighting:

(Don't lie, you want one of these things too)

I remember back during the twitter campaigns that Magnemite was evidently getting a lot of votes from Japanese fans. It probably would have been hard to make it a fighter but they've managed to incorporate it into the game in another way. So Magnemite's inclusion is yet another example that the twitter campaign results were incorporated.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
It's great that they put Magnemite there as an answer to the Japanese votes! Very clever idea.

And whoa, Gengar looks soooooo badass!!

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
But it shows that Pokken isn't that well received in Japan though. I wonder if they will be bothered to make it worldwide with stuff going on like this.
I don't think it's a good idea to increase the roster one by one. There's still too few characters to choose from.

Okay, only just caught up with this news.

I'm guessing so many people voted for Magnemite because it was the most traded Pokemon on the PSS back in B2W2. Having it as a camerman (a la Lakitu in Mario Kart) is a really neat idea. Although I'd question Magnemite's suitability as a cameraman when it doesn't have any depth perception.

But it shows that Pokken isn't that well received in Japan though. I wonder if they will be bothered to make it worldwide with stuff going on like this.
I've said this before: why would they bother with English-language adverts if they weren't planning a Western release?

Two new Pokémon confirmed for Pokken Tournament!
The first should come at like 0 surprise - honestly really expecting the other smash mon now; lets go pichu - but I'm glad to see the second getting some love, funny how it also made OU a couple of days ago.

In addition, according to Serebii, Pokken's being released in Japanese Arcades from 16th July this year! That's like two weeks if you can't count

"The original stage, Chrom Town, has featured a rename to Tellur Town as development has progressed"

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I'm not the only one who think Charlizard* looks off, right?

Wasn't expecting Weavile but it looks good. I like how it used Icicle Crash as an aerial attack.

*No that's not a typo.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Two new Pokémon confirmed for Pokken Tournament!
The first should come at like 0 surprise - honestly really expecting the other smash mon now; lets go pichu - but I'm glad to see the second getting some love, funny how it also made OU a couple of days ago.

In addition, according to Serebii, Pokken's being released in Japanese Arcades from 16th July this year! That's like two weeks if you can't count

"The original stage, Chrom Town, has featured a rename to Tellur Town as development has progressed"

YEAH! CHARIZARD!! :D And of course his Burst Mode is Mega Charizard X, at this point I'm wondering why they even made Mega Charizard Y (well at least it'll always look better).

Now we just need Jigglypuff, Greninja, and Mewtwo and we'll have all the Pokemon fighters from Smash Bros (when Pichu gets added to Smash 4 then I will include him, gotta advertise the current smash game and all). :P

Anyway, both look pretty cool. As a fast character Weavile looks like it'll be a pain to deal with and/or fun to hit-and-run with. Its Burst Mode looks like a super Night Slash (isn't that Greninja's Final Smash?) since it doesn't have a Mega Evo. For Charizard it looks like a lot of its attacks need to charge up, they probably hit heavy being a power character though I can see him maybe being difficult to master or use against a character that can dodge easily. Still nice to see them both in.

Oh Chrom, he can never catch a break.

I'm not the only one who think Charlizard* looks off, right?

Wasn't expecting Weavile but it looks good. I like how it used Icicle Crash as an aerial attack.

*No that's not a typo.
At least in Charizard's stock art his proportioned look to have been lengthened though when he's battling he looks normal. Charizard isn't the only fighter effected by this:

(And you probably thought Longchu disappeared with Brawl)

Shouldn't that be Charlizardon if you're going to combine the names?

Bit more info; Jirachi and Whimsicott are confirmed as support 'mon

Also, opening movie <3

Looks good for an intro. So the trainers are drawn images, I thought they were 3D models as well. Wait, where are the trainers exactly? Why are they commaning their Pokemon from a holographic screen? They never cared about being near the action during normal battles, why is it now that they're concerned about safety?

Hmm. So far, our support characters here are the following:

-Snivy = charges forward to attack with Leaf Tornado.
-Lapras = rushes the enemy using Waterfall, I guess.
-Eevee = Does a healing move with Helping Hand, I guess
-Frogadier = Not a lot of reveal as to what I does yet. I guess...
-Emolga = maybe paralyzing enemies with electric attacks
-Fennekin = fires an Area of Effect Flame burst close to your hero. It seems so.
-Jirachi = my theoretical guess is either summoning a Doom Desire or Do a very strong heal in the form of Wish/Healing Wish (heals about 1/3 or 1/4 or a half of a character's HP). Like Eevee, but has a REALLY long cooldown
-Whimsicott = Probably fire off Status moves like Stun Spore, or increase the user's speed via Tailwind. Theoretical guess.

I'm not that of an expert in fighting games, but for anyone here that plays a lot of Fighting games, I'm interested to know as to what are the pros and cons of using an offensive support character to a defensive character. Just how effective are these currently shown support pokemon so far in 2D field mode vs 3D Roam field mode.

Lucario, Suicune, Weavile... This game is adding all of my favourites! All it's missing is Absol!

So that this post actually contributes to the discussion: My prediction is that Weavile will play similarly to Fox in SSBM: it will have a lot of fast combos that are difficult to master, but can be devastating when done correctly. This would fit in with Weavile's high speed but lack of strong attacks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)