Choice Scarf Jirachi [QC 2/3] [Writing]

Status
Not open for further replies.

shiloh

is a Member of Senior Staffis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Tiering Lead

QC: AM | Bluwing | ---
GP: --- | ---

Choice Scarf
########
name: Choice Scarf

move 1: Iron Head
move 2: U-Turn
move 3: Ice Punch / Fire Punch
move 4: Healing Wish / Trick
ability: Serene Grace
item: Choice Scarf
evs: 72 HP / 252 Atk / 184 Spe
nature: Jolly

Moves
========
Iron Head is Jirachi’s best STAB, especially with the 60% Flinch Rate it gives when combined with Serene Grace. U-Turn is useful for grabbing momentum, as Jirachi can U-Turn out when one of its Checks or Counters come in, but this does require a bit of prediction. Fire Punch is useful for hitting bulkier steel types like Skarmory or Scizor, as they take negligible damage from any of Jirachi’s other moves. Ice Punch is useful in hitting bulkier Ground types like Landorus-Therian and Garchomp. Zen Headbutt can also be used here, but does not achieve good neutral coverage with Iron Head, only allowing Jirachi to hit Fighting types like Keldeo super effectively. Healing Wish is useful in healing back a weakened teammate, allowing Jirachi to have more utility late game. Trick can be used to cripple bulky walls like Chansey, preventing them from healing up. It can also be useful against opposing Bisharp, as it can trick them as they Sucker Punch.

Set Details
========
252 Attack EVs allow Jirachi to hit as hard as possible. 184 Speed plus a Jolly nature allows it to out speed Scarfed Landorus-Therian and below. An alternate spread with 252 Speed could be used, but it does not let Jirachi out speed anything relevant. The remaining HP EVs are kept in HP to increase its bulk.

Usage Tips
========
It mainly should act as a revenge killer, as it can not recover any HP it loses, but it can still take a few with its good bulk and typing. These include pokemon like Latios and Mega Gardevoir, both of which Jirachi can switch into, and then proceed to fire off one of its moves. It also can switch on bulky pokemon, as it only is ever worried about Will-O-Wisp and Scald coming from pokemon like Rotom and Alomomola. U-Turn allows it to act as a pivot, bringing in Set-Up sweepers like Swords Dance Diggersby or Pursuit Trappers like Bishop and Tyranitar.

Team Options
========
  • Pokemon that want Fairy Type's Removed (Dragon Types, Dark Types, Fighting Types). This is normally pokemon like Calm Mind Keldeo, Mega Absol, and Tyranitar
  • It also wants teammates that can remove pokemon like Heatran and Keldeo from play, in order for it to attack more easily. This includes pokemon like Landorus-Therian which it can for a U-Turn core with, or Lati@s to handle Keldeo and also remove hazards in order to bring Jirachi in safer.
  • Most set-up sweepers, as with Healing Wish it can easily bring them back to life. Examples include pokemon like Swords Dance Talonflame, Mega-Gyarados, and Nasty Plot Thundurus are all good options that can removes some of its counters from play
  • It appreciates Bulky Steels and Fire Types like Heatran and Charizard being removed, as it can only hope to flinch them to death. Partners that can do this include Tyranitar, Landorus, and Keldeo, which it can bring in freely with U-Turn.
  • Thunder Wave support is nice, as it allows it to ParaFlinch, giving the opponent a very small chance to attack, as well as preventing Jirachi from taking damage. Prankster users are the best way of going about this, and that includes Thundurus and Klefki.
  • Since it has an only average base attack stat, Stealth Rock and Spikes support helps it, as it can bring switch ins into KO range. A good partner that does this is Landorus-Therian, which also forms a U-Turn core with it, and lets it break through Heatran and other bulky fire types. Chesnaught is a good Spike setter alongside Jirachi, as it helps it break through some of the Bulky Steel and Water types that Jirachi has problems with, like Suicune or Gyarados.
  • It also appreciates the use of a Pursuit Trapper to U-Turn into, as Jirachi can bring them in safely and let them freely pursuit. Tyranitar is one of the best Pursuit users, and can also set up Stealth Rock, and handle threats like Heatran.
(working on it, sorry for the delay)

Last edited:

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
  • Special scarf is bad, I'd just cut that mention of it
  • In the moves section list what pokemon the coverage moves hit
  • In team options list specific examples of setup sweepers that appreciate healing wish
  • Add a bunch more to usage tips, like what pokemon it can pivot into and what coverage moves from said pokemon it should be wary of
  • Also when describing stuff don't say the stat number say it has good bulk or something like that
Nice work.

Ununhexium

I closed my eyes and I slipped away...
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I wouldn't say Zen Headbutt is inherently bad, just generally less useful. It shouldn't be slashed but mention it fliches heatran and empoleon to death easier

GaryTheGengar

I COULD BE BANNED!
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
I've been using scarfrachi a little lately so I've got some input for you-
slash healing wish before trick, its a lot more useful now especially with mega stones blocking trick
I find max speed unnecessary, I would say a spread of 72 hp / 252 atk / 184 spe with your jolly nature would be better, to outspeed scarf lando-t

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Coolio. Looking much better imo.

More stuff:
  • I'd consider adding body slam to moves as it's decent for the flinch chance and hits stuff like Keldeo for neutral damage, I think I've seen it used occasionally - this would be just a moves mention not a slash.
  • In moves add how you can run a combination of u-turn / iron head / trick / healing wish because most of the time with a scarf rachi you don't need the coverage and tend to just spam u-turn and iron head.
  • I dunno if it deserves a slash of not but zen Headbutt isn't inferior by any means, since it hits fire and fighting types such as the charizard and Keldeo, and a 20% chance to flinch still is solid.
  • Add clefable in stuff it can pivot into but say it should be wary of thunder wave and fire move
  • Explain how trick screws over bisharp trying to sucker punch you
Feel free to disagree or discuss any of this.

I wouldn't say Zen Headbutt is inherently bad, just generally less useful. It shouldn't be slashed but mention it fliches heatran and empoleon to death easier
Idk about this man, you're not going to stay into Heatran anyway and Empoleon can just ScaldBurn you because the crit chance is slightly less than Iron Head's

GaryTheGengar

I COULD BE BANNED!
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
There aren't any scarf users in ORAS ou with 100 speed other than opposing jirachi(which isn't all that common), and 90% of kyurem-b are the LO wallbreaker set, with the other 10% split between band and scarf. Jirachi really appreciates the extra bulk for switching into moonblasts, draco meteors, bullet punches and the like. I think it should be the primary spread, with the 252 / 252 one in set details if you're worried about opposing scarfrachi. Up to you though boss, your analysis.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
Added that spread to the Set Details category, and my only problem with not making that the main is being able to speed tie with other base 100 scarfers, as well as ones in-between them like Scarf Kyurem-Black.

Added the rest, but I do not think that Body Slam is a viable option at all. If you want to hit Keldeo, use Zen Headbutt, and being locked into a low BP normal type move that has a 60% chance to Paralyze is not that great in my opinion. iirc Body Slam is used mainly on defensive sets, as it allows it to ParaFlinch, which it can not when only locked into one move.

Also added how Zen Headbutt can hit Keldeo for more damage
Yeah, that's reasonable.
GaryTheGengar Your reasoning about the split ev spread makes sense, but just to clarify, stuff like ev spreads is up to the QC team as the final say.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
If the spread is meant to specifically outpseed scarf lando-t, wouldn't it be logical to have ice punch slashed first? Sure, you can flinch it to death but just wanted to put that idea out.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Choice Scarf
########
name: Choice Scarf

move 1: Iron Head
move 2: U-Turn
move 3: Ice Punch / Fire Punch
move 4: Healing Wish / Trick
ability: Serene Grace
item: Choice Scarf
evs: 72 HP / 252 Atk / 184 Spe
nature: Jolly

Have the order of the moves slashed like this, so basically switch around the punches and remove the slash of Trick on punches. You would pick Healing Wish or Trick on the set, not both.

Under moves mention Lando-T as a target of Ice Punch, Zen Headbutt shouldn't be mentioned as a target for Heatran as this shouldn't be the way you beat Heatran in the first place.
Choice Scarf is the item that it is based on, and is what let's it outspeed most of the Metagame
This is redundant information that is pretty much established on your point about outpacing Scarf Lando and below. No need for this to be there.

Under usage tips mention U-turns ability to provide momentum for set up sweepers and pursuit trappers giving a few short examples such as Swords Dance Diggersby and Pursuit Tyranitar.
Pokemon that want Fairy Type's Removed (Dragon Types, Dark Types, Fighting Types)
Team options needs to be much more specific such as your categories that name types but not the specific Pokemon that fall under these types. You also need to mention partners that can help support this set, think Heatran and Keldeo checks along with any relevant counters as well.
Frail Set-Up sweepers, as with Healing Wish it can easily bring them back to life. Examples include pokemon like Talonflame which is worn down easily by entry hazards plus recoil, and Healing Wish gives it another option to sweep
It appreciates Bulky Steels and Fire Types like Heatran and Charizard being removed, as it can only hope to flinch them to death.
Set up sweepers in general appreciate Healing Wish support from Jirachi not just frail ones. M-Gyarados, Rock Polish Lando-I, Nasty Plot Thundurus, SD Talonflame are just a few examples to bring up with much more detail expanded. Provide some team-mates that correspond to beating the fire types you mentioned.
Thunder Wave support is nice, as it allows it to ParaFlinch, giving the opponent a very small chance to attack, as well as preventing Jirachi from taking damage.
Since it has an only average base attack stat, Stealth Rock and Spikes support helps it, as it can bring switch ins into KO range
Name partners that would provide all of this support that can provide offensive and defensive utility for example Hippowdon for Stealth Rocks, Chesnaught for Spikes, Clefable for Thunder Wave. There are more though so beef up your team options a bit.

Once you've done that QC 1/3.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Enki is gonna take over this seeing as how there hasn't been a response in two weeks. Locking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)