Other [Balanced Hackmons] Peaked 1557 #18: Of these chains.

DEG

we tangle endlessly
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Introduction: (you may skip this)

Sealed in a dark cave, Groudon was unable to escape, that caused an unstable weather of rain due to Kyogre's supreme reign. That didn't last long, a wanderer passed through the cave and felt a dark aura radiating from the cave. Hanging on his Pokeballs he slowly walked inside to find the legendary creature trying to break free of these chains. The roaring wasn't enough to intimidate the mysterious man as it slowly continued it's approach. Only an inch separates him with the creature, he takes a strange shaped key from his bag...and liberate Groudon. The creature stood tall, looked through the man's eyes and accompanied him. As they arrived near the lake, they saw a team of Pokemon which responded to Groudon's roar, and were ready to get revenge which their new hidden power.

Peak Proof

The path to the team:

Team Building Process:

First of all, starting with this team's King Primal-Groudon. Thanks to it's beastly physical offense, this monster can pull of the role of a wallbreaker, adding to that the typing which gives him STAB on scary moves.

Secondly, Registeel serves as an -ate check and my Prankster Pokemon to stop offensive threat by the help of it's moves which will be covered under.

Giratina serves as the team's Magic Bouncer, special wall, rock setter and phaser.

The team was pretty weak to shedinja, so added a Mold Breaker, physically defensive Gyarados with pursuit.

One word: Impostor.

The team's bishop, one of the most amazing Pokemon in BH. Capable of set up sweeping and is actually not weak to chansey.

The Team

Groudon-Primal @

Ability: Contrary
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- V-create
- Superpower
- Spore
- Thousand Arrows

Say goodbye, as we dance with the devil tonight
Don't you dare look at him in the eye, as we dance with the devil tonight

The team's star, P-don is able to sweep the opponent if he's not ready for it, thanks to it's ability Contrary and it's typing, it is able to pull strong STAB damage in V-create while giving it a Speed Boost, which is why speed investments isn't needed. Superpower is present for it's coverage while being able to boost this creature's attack and defense. Draco Meteor surprises Giratina, which thinks it can safely switch on a Contrary P-don. And finally Thousand Arrows allowed you to avoid Spiky's Shield addition damage while having attack boosts, also it keeps in checks Levitate users. As for Item, Safety Goggles is needed as most prankster users will try to spore it to try to stop it's rampage.

Registeel @

Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Topsy-Turvy
- Spore
- Parting Shot
- Milk Drink

A heart made of stone
Callous and bone
Fracture and tear it out
To let it go

Great bulk mixed with an amazing typing what could you ask more? Registeel serves as my Prankster Pokemon to keep physical threats in-check thanks to it's moveset. Topsy-Turvy is one of the best moves in the Metagame, being able to stop set-up sweepers combined with Parting-Shot which allows Registeel to swift around while weakening the opponent's Pokemon. Registeel is also used as my -ate check, it can easily spore as most of them doesn't hold goggles, or just Parting Shot away.

Giratina @

Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Dragon Tail
- Milk Drink
- Defog

Find me in the dark
I'll meet you below

My Stealth Rock setter, combined with great defensive stats Giratina show itself capable of tanking hits while damaging the opponent with Stealth Rock+Dragon Tail phasing. Seeing as Magic Bounce is somehow needed in BH, I decided to give it the ability to block hazards otherwise there's Defog present. Griseous Orb is used to reduce the knock off damage, and to counter Trick which would destroy the effectiveness of the set.

Gyarados-Mega @

Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Pursuit
- Sucker Punch
- Waterfall
- Knock Off

I never wanted you to see
The darkest part of me

One of the best Shedinja's counter in the tier, Mold Breaker Gyarados Pursuit-Trap Shedinja to secure the death of a threat, with maximized defense this monster is able to live physical hits while securing damage through Rocky Helmet. Knock off is present to allowed Mega Gyarados deal some damage and knocking off important items such as Eviolite from Chansey, Safety Goggles...

Chansey @

Ability: Imposter
Bold Nature
- Wish
- King's Shield
- Skill Swap
- Fake Out

You’re my impostor
I’m a shadow lost deep inside

Pink Blob is here to save the day, my second set-up sweepers check. This Pokemon is able to turn the tables against an opponent which is trying to set up such as Contrary users or other boosting moves. With an amazing HP stat, this Pokemon is able to live hits from the the opposite boosted Pokemon and is able to defeat it. As for the move set, in case of a impostor failing, Whirlwind is your friend to keep the Pokemon away. The other moves are self-explanatory.

Kyogre-Primal @

Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Quiver Dance
- King's Shield
- Steam Eruption
- Moonblast

Eating seeds is a pastime activity
The toxicity of our city, of our city

Hail ogre, one of the best set-up sweeper present in the game. With it's ability Poison Heal, P-ogre is able to slack off the damage it takes, Quiver Dance let's it boost easily. I picked Steam Eruption as the STAB move, based on the Higher Base Power and the change to burn, while moonblast is present for coverage against Giratina per example. King's Shield lets Kyogre checks Fake-Out/Espeed users as it's able to reduce their attack. This set rarely loses to impostor chansey, due to the continuous healing and Steam Eruption's ability to burn which if triggered can slowly eats Chansey.
Groudon-Primal @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- V-create
- Spore
- Superpower
- Thousand Arrows

Registeel @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Topsy-Turvy
- Spore
- Parting Shot
- Milk Drink

Giratina @ Griseous Orb
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Dragon Tail
- Milk Drink
- Defog

Gyarados-Mega @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Mold Breaker
Impish Nature
- Pursuit
- Sucker Punch
- Waterfall
- Knock Off

Chansey @ Eviolite
Ability: Imposter
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Fake Out
- Wish
- King's Shield
- Skill Swap

Kyogre-Primal @ Toxic Orb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Quiver Dance
- King's Shield
- Steam Eruption
- Moonblast

Thanks for reading :]

Last edited:
Hi DEG, nice team. This is just going to be a brief rate, but here are a few things you need to fix.

• Groudon. If it is Impostered, it can easily destroy your team. You have to sacrifice something to get Registeel a free switch so it can Spore, as Registeel itself can't switch in:

252+ Atk Primal Groudon V-create vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Registeel: 578-684 (158.7 - 187.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

For this reason I would recommend either switching to a different ability and moveset that you can wall with your current team or replacing a team member with a better wall for Contraries.

• If you're interested, you can afford to run a little extra HP on Primal Kyogre; it only needs 148+ Speed to outpace Mega Mewtwo Y at +1. Of course, if you're worried about Deoxys formes, you can leave it.

• Leech Seed might be worth at least considering on Primal Kyogre over King's Shield if you find yourself having issues with Shedinja (it gives your team serious issues if Mega Gyara dies). Both have their merits, however, and removing KS does leave your team very vulnerable to -ates. Just something to try.

• Chansey's moveset is not that great. I personally run Fake Out (for Illusion), Skill Swap (for stuff behind Subs), Wish, and King's Shield, but standard recovery moves, Perish Song, and Whirlwind are also options. Regardless of what you do, you should definitely give it a way of recovering.

• Destiny Bond is worth some consideration on Registeel, since your team is really vulnerable to fast attackers. Your lack of priority on a somewhat offensive team seems like a problem overall; make of that what you will. (As it is now, for instance, Safety Goggles Protean Mega Mewtwo Y with Moonblast / EP / Seed Flare could give your team serious issues.)

I can probably think of more ideas, but that's all for now.

Reactions: DEG
Hi, strong looking team. Most of what I wanted to say has already be said by UC so I'll just go over the most important parts.

Every time an imposter comes on your groudon you have to sack a pokemon. And if regi is dead you've pretty much lost the battle already. The way you could deal with that is to either change your groudon set or change one of your team members.
If groudon doesn't run superpower gyarados can come in on every move and avoid the 2hko so you can maybe run whirlwind or destiny bond (you still have a pokemon dying but you take the chansey with you).
Giratina could switch it's ability to unaware to wall contrary don. Or maybe even changing it's moveset and making him another prankster. You can't have too much prio on a team.

Skill swap is definetly the best move to run with chansey. Also why do you only have 248 hp?

I would run a naughty nature on groudon (or something that doesn't give you -Satt) as it allows you to 2hko SpeDef giratina on draco meteor.
• If you're interested, you can afford to run a little extra HP on Primal Kyogre; it only needs 148+ Speed to outpace Mega Mewtwo Y at +1. Of course, if you're worried about Deoxys formes, you can leave it.
If modest, Ogre needs 248 speed EVs to outspeed mmy at +1. 148+ let's you reach the same speed tier but gives you more bulk.
If you want to outspeed base 150 you need 204+Speed EVs.

DEG

we tangle endlessly
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Thanks for the rate! Would Substitute on P-Don help?
Yea, you're right. I tend to not setup P-don against chansey or just gamble speed ties if it got an impostor.
Also, Keeping KS on Kyogre since I'm vulnerable to -ate spam.

Also changes are going to be in bolded red.

Thanks for the rate! Would Substitute on P-Don help?
Yea, you're right. I tend to not setup P-don against chansey or just gamble speed ties if it got an impostor.
Also, Keeping KS on Kyogre since I'm vulnerable to -ate spam.

Also changes are going to be in bolded red.
I think imprison would help. As it blocks chansey even if it switches on don directly and also stops other don from hitting you. If chansey switches on a v-create you outspeed it and can set up imprison before she can.
also, if you have your don against a chansey and you don't want to gamble the imprison speed tie, it's most likely that the chansey will go for imprison giving you a switch on registeel.

Sounds good on paper at least. I'll try it a bit.

Kit Kasai

Love colored magic
Nice team :)

As others have said, PDon has a huge risk of KO'ing your team if it gets impostered. Imprison and Substitute are not optimal solutions, as it doesn't help if you get impostered before you can use it. Right now, there's still a few options for you that don't involve drastically modifying your team:

1. Remove Draco Meteor. This makes it much easier to counter / check Groudon with your own Giratina (although that may be difficult with your sdef spread). You shouldn't have to worry about Giratina walling Groudon too much, as Kyogre is an easy switch in to any Giratina and can set up on it.
2. Run an imposterproof set. This probably means you'll have to forgo running Contrary. If you still want to run contrary, you could replace one of your coverage moves with spore, which would make your set more imposter resistant (not fully imposterproof) as long as your goggles are intact. If you decide to forgo Contrary, there are two options for an imposterproof Groudon set: Poison Heal and Pixilate. Although you might not like this option because both are special sets, which changes your team somewhat.

Groudon-Primal @ Toxic Orb
EVs: 236 HP / 84 Def / 188 Spe or EVs: 236 HP / 84 SpA / 188 Spe
Bold Nature / Modest Nature
- Magma Storm
- Moonblast
- Quiver Dance
- Leech Seed / Kings Shield / Spore / Whatever utility stuff

236 HP to get a poison heal number, 188 Spe to outspeed Timid 130s after one speed boost, the rest into either bulk or power, your preference. Run 248 Spe to outspeed timid 140s (MM2Y).

Groudon-Primal @ Earth Plate
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 236 HP / 84 Def / 188 Spe or EVs: 236 HP / 84 SpA / 188 Spe
Bold Nature / Modest Nature
- Boomburst
- Judgment
- Quiver Dance
- Heal Order / Whatever you want

Same EV spread. This set is imposterproof as your Judgment is Ground type, which is super effective, but their Judgment is Fairy type, which you resist, because of Pixilate. Fun fact: Pixilate Boomburst does more damage than Ground type Judgment, even after factoring STAB. Also, Heal Order master race.

And of course, feel free to submit your team into the OM RMT Archive so more people can see it :)

Last edited:

DEG

we tangle endlessly
I'm actually going to try, Unaware Giratina for my chansey weakness and try that Pixilate Groudon-P which sounds interesting, I'm going to add an Importable with my OLD team, and one with the NEW changes.

(a bit late but oh well)

I have a few suggestions, but only take these if you're still using Contrary Groudon-P:

1. Take off Draco meteor on Groudon-P, and maybe replace it with spore or hell, even forest's curse if you're really feeling it.

That ways, you can get around opposing giratinas while still being able to wall your own Primal Groudon with your own Giratina. Spore puts them to sleep while you spam 1k arrows, and Forest's curse catches V-create resists on the switch so you can smack them really hard.

2. Replace Steam Eruption with Scald on Primal Kyogre

I know the extra power is cool, but Steam Eruption's 8 PP makes it ridiculously easy to pp stall. And if you don't get a quick burn on that imposter, well, you're in for a long ride. Although scald is a bit weaker, it's still much more reliable when it comes to doing what Kyogre is supposed to do.

Aside from that, try the things that everyone else suggested. Nice team :)

OLD GREGG (im back baby)

old gregg for life
Team looks nice but I might consider running shed shell on Regi for three reasons.

1. You need Registeel to tank the tons of priority your team will be bombarded with at all times, as well as check ate spam.

2. Magnet pull is a great asset to priority spam teams and I've seen it before on the ladder, so it isn't entirely rare.

3. Double safety goggles is a bit much. If you are that afraid of spore run sleep talk in place of Draco Meteor on P-Don and give it a life orb or some shit.

Team looks nice but I might consider running shed shell on Regi for three reasons.

1. You need Registeel to tank the tons of priority your team will be bombarded with at all times, as well as check ate spam.

2. Magnet pull is a great asset to priority spam teams and I've seen it before on the ladder, so it isn't entirely rare.

3. Double safety goggles is a bit much. If you are that afraid of spore run sleep talk in place of Draco Meteor on P-Don and give it a life orb or some shit.
From my experience in balanced hackmons you can never have too many safety goggles. even if the opponent manages to double switch his magnet pull in front of registeel, registeel can just prankster parting shot out of here so the shed shell is really not needed. Safety goggles make him a better counter to random -ate users running spore *cough* Flint *cough* and allows him to use spore without fearing a random mb switchin.

DEG

we tangle endlessly
I edited the Importable with some changes without switching Pokemon or changing the complete moveset.
I'm going to ladder with the other changes and see how it goes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)