Archeops

CanadianWifier

Run Away With Me
[Overview]
########

Archeops's blistering Speed allows it to outpace the majority of the metagame, which it takes full advantage of thanks to its powerful STAB attacks, amazing coverage, and awesome supporting options. Outspeeding every relevant Pokemon in the metagame bar Sneasel allows Archeops to act as a fantastic physical attacker, as its power in combination with its coverage makes Archeops a nightmare for offensive and balanced teams to switch into. Archeops's typing coupled with its high Speed also allows it to switch into Fire-type attacks and Roost off the damage before getting hit again. However, Archeops is rather frail, making it hard to switch in, and Defeatist is one of the worst abilities in the game. Defeatist, coupled with Archeops's general fragility and weakness to Stealth Rock, makes it difficult for Archeops to maintain offensive pressure, as it often drops below 50% health.

[set]
name: Offensive
move 1: Acrobatics
move 2: Stone Edge
move 3: Earthquake / Aqua Tail
move 4: Roost
item:
ability: Defeatist
nature: Jolly
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

[set comments]
Moves
========
Acrobatics is Archeops's most powerful STAB move, hitting anything that doesn't resist Flying hard. Stone Edge hits opposing Archeops and is a useful secondary STAB move to have. It also does not make physical contact, allowing Archeops to avoid Aftermath damage from Garbodor and Drifblim. Earthquake is used to hit most Pokemon that resist Flying for super effective damage, such as Klingklang and Mawile, both of which are massive threats in NU. Aqua Tail can also be used to lure in and weaken Rhydon, as Rhydon is a very popular switch-in to Archeops and other Flying-types in general. It also hits other bulky Rock-types bar Carracosta for super effective damage. Roost allows Archeops to recover health lost from weaker attacks and residual damage in order to stay out of Defeatist range. Taunt can be used over Earthquake or Aqua Tail to let Archeops act as a stallbreaker and get past Audino and Weezing while also shutting down Garbodor and Uxie, all of which are common switch-ins to Archeops.

Set Details
========
Maximum Speed investment with a Jolly nature is used to fully utilize Archeops' amazing Speed tier in NU, as it outspeeds almost the entire relevant tier. Maximum Attack investment is used to hit as hard as possible. No item is used on the set, as it allows for an immediate full-power Acrobatics. Don't use an item. Don't do it.

Usage Tips
========
If the opponent has a Klinklang or Ferroseed, it's more beneficial to switch out on the predicted switch to keep up offensive momentum and wear down the switch-in with entry hazards for the next time Archeops forces it into battle. Be wary about using Roost on Pokemon such as Kangaskhan, as once Roost removes Archeops's Flying typing for the turn, certain coverage moves can hit it for super effective damage. If saved for late-game, Archeops can be a very effective cleaner due to its high Speed and Attack and strong coverage.

Team Options
========
Archeops doesn't require very much support, but it really does appreciate Stealth Rock being absent from its side of the field at all times. Defog users such as Mantine and Prinplup work well, though they compound the Electric-type weakness that Archeops already brings to the team. Fellow Flying-types appreciate Archeops's ability to wear down the opponent's Steel-, Rock-, and Electric-types, which potentially opens the door for a teammate such as Dodrio, Chatot, or Scyther to sweep late-game. Plenty of slower, bulky offensive Pokemon appreciate Archeops's ability to lure out and weaken common defensive walls. Sawk, Scyther, Malamar, and Kangaskhan all appreciate Archeops weakening Pokemon such as Regirock, Seismitoad, and Quagsire.

[SET]
name: Lead
move 1: Taunt
move 2: Stealth Rock
move 3: Head Smash
move 4: Endeavor
item: Focus Sash
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
Taunt cripples opposing entry hazard leads, prevents bulky setup sweepers from taking advantage of Archeops, and stops slower Defog users from removing Archeops's Stealth Rock. Archeops is the most reliable Stealth Rock setter for offensive teams; it's nearly impossible for it to fail to get up Stealth Rock as it's faster than the majority of the tier, and due to its Focus Sash it gets two opportunities to launch off an attack. Head Smash allows Archeops to block opposing Rapid Spin and Defog for a turn, as if Archeops faints from the recoil, there won't be a target for the opponent's move. It also allows Archeops to OHKO any Xatu that tries to switch into Stealth Rock. Endeavor is a great way to cripple a foe for the rest of the battle once Archeops has been brought down to its Focus Sash.

Set Details
========
Maximum Attack investment is used to maximize damage from Head Smash if it needs to be used, while maximum Speed is used in order to outspeed and Taunt every other entry hazard lead in NU, preventing them from doing their job. Focus Sash ensures that even if the opponent predicts Archeops to use Taunt and subsequently uses an attack, Archeops can still set up Stealth Rock successfully. In other scenarios, it allows Archeops to get off a one-HP Endeavor after setting up Stealth Rock, or guarantees that it will knock itself out with Head Smash recoil.

Usage Tips
========
Taunt other potential lead entry hazard Pokemon such as Uxie, Mesprit, Ferroseed, Pinsir, Crustle, and opposing lead Archeops. If the opponent has a Pokemon that commonly carries Rock Blast, such as Rhydon or Crustle, it's often better to set up Stealth Rock first than to use Taunt, as you can't risk the opponent predicting Taunt, attacking with Rock Blast, and OHKOing Archeops before it has a chance to set up Stealth Rock. If the opponent has a Xatu, there will be mind games about choosing between Stealth Rock and Head Smash. Generally it's safer to use Head Smash every turn until they switch to into Xatu and it faints; however, if you absolutely need Stealth Rock that battle, it's better in most cases to go for it on the first turn, as opponents can be hesitant to bring in Xatu right away. After setting up Stealth Rock, sacrifice Archeops via your choice of Head Smash to block entry hazard removal or Endeavor to essentially eliminate an opposing Pokemon from the game.

Team Options
========
Lead Archeops is generally used on hyper offense teams, as it almost guarantees that Stealth Rock will only be set up on the opponent's side of the field at the cost of potentially starting the game down a Pokemon. Common teammates on hyper offense include Tauros, Sneasel, Swellow, Jynx, Liepard, Sawk, Lilligant, Kangaskhan, and Fletchinder, all of which appreciate the entry hazard support that Archeops provides. Ghost-types are a decent option to run alongside Archeops to prevent foes from easily spinning away Archeops's hard work. Examples of Ghost-types that fit nicely onto offensive teams include Mismagius and Rotom.

[SET]
name: Bulkycheops
move 1: Taunt
move 2: Acrobatics
move 3: Defog
move 4: Roost
item:
evs: 248 HP / 8 SpD / 252 Spe

Moves
========
Taunt is used to break stall and to prevent walls from healing, setup sweepers from setting up, entry hazard leads from continuously setting up entry hazards against Archeops, defensive Pokemon from inflicting status on Archeops, opposing Taunt users from Taunting Archeops, and Defog users from removing entry hazards. Acrobatics is Archeops's most reliable STAB move against the majority of NU, as Flying-type attacks are known for being difficult to switch into. Defog allows Archeops to act as a fast Defog user, much like Latios does in OU. Archeops is very reliable at keeping entry hazards off the field due to its high Speed, numerous opportunities to switch in, and ability to scare out a plethora of Pokemon. Roost allows Archeops to remain healthy and switch into Fire-type attacks throughout the game. Earthquake can be carried to hit Fire-types for super effective damage, though it's unnecessary, as Acrobatics already scores 2HKOs on most Fire-types in NU and Earthquake fails to OHKO anyways.

Set Details
========
Maximum HP investment allows Archeops to switch into Ninetales, Flareon, and other Fire-types in the tier and threaten them out with Acrobatics. No item is chosen due to Archeops's reliance on Acrobatics, as being able to launch a full-powered Acrobatics immediately is imperative. Leftovers could be used if Acrobatics is dropped for Earthquake, though.

Usage Tips
========
If Archeops is facing a foe with boosting moves, entry hazards, Taunt, or a status-inducing move, Taunt is always a safe play, as even if the opponent predicts that and attacks, Archeops has the Speed and bulk to Roost on the next turn in almost all scenarios. Bulkycheops acts as a reliable switch-in to every Fire-type in the tier, barring Magmortar due to its access to Thunderbolt. Be wary about using Roost on Pokemon such as Kangaskhan, as once Roost removes Archeops's Flying typing for the turn, certain coverage moves can hit it for super effective damage.

Team Options
========
Though Archeops works well as a switch-in to most Fire-types, it's still wise to carry additional soft checks to Fire-type moves on your team, as Pokemon such as Magmortar can break right through Archeops with coverage moves. Bulky Water-types such as Quagsire as well as Flash Fire users work well. Offensive teams that require entry hazard removal without momentum being destroyed will appreciate Archeops's support. Potential teammates include Fletchinder, Kangaskhan, Lilligant, Scyther, Jynx, and Sneasel.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Knock Off can be used to remove items from switch-ins and to hit Ghost-types such as Mismagius and Rotom for super effective damage. It also allows Archeops to OHKO Rhydon with Aqua Tail once its Eviolite is removed, potentially opening the door for other Flying-types to sweep. Switcheroo can see use for its ability to cripple defensive Pokemon that like to switch into Archeops such as Musharna, Ferroseed, and Rhydon. Heat Wave can be used on the offensive set to hit Ferroseed harder, but Earthquake is generally better for this job, as it has greater coverage against other Pokemon that resist Flying. A mixed offensive set featuring Earth Power and Hidden Power Grass can take advantage of Archeops's amazing mixed attacking stats; however, it's generally better to just invest fully in Attack, as unless you're trying to have Archeops act as a lure for physical walls, its moves won't be as powerful due to Archeops being forced to split its offensive investment. U-turn can be used on the offensive set to keep up offensive momentum against switch-ins that Archeops otherwise couldn't touch; however, it's generally better have additional coverage than a weak momentum-based move. With a Choice Band, Archeops becomes incredibly powerful; however, with an item equipped, Pluck becomes the most powerful Flying-type STAB attack Archeops has access to, so it's rather undesirable. A set of Knock Off, U-turn, Stone Edge, and Earthquake is viable, but the lack of a Flying-type STAB move really hinders Archeops.

Checks & Counters
=============

**Bulky Rock-types**: Bulky Rock-types such as Regirock and Rhydon can easily switch into Archeops, take very little damage from its attacks, and threaten to OHKO it back with their Rock-type STAB moves.

**Bulky Water-types**: Quagsire can switch in to any move that Archeops uses and threaten it back immediately with Scald and the prospect of a burn.

**Status and Residual Damage**: Paralysis cripples Archeops by removing one of its biggest traits in its Speed, while burn cripples it by cutting its damage output in half. Poison, Leech Seed, and Stealth Rock all whittle away at Archeops's health, and once it gets below 50%, Defeatist cripples Archeops's attacking power as well.

**Faster Attackers**: Sneasel can force Archeops out with the threat of a faster, super effective Ice-type attack; however, it can't switch directly into any of Archeops's attacks. Choice Scarf users such as Aurorus, Jynx, and Rotom-S, as well as priority attacks such as Hariyama's Bullet Punch and Samurott's Aqua Jet, all take down Archeops quickly. Innovative Choice Scarf Pokemon such as Klinklang can also make easy work of Archeops.

Goodnight sweet prince. Never forget the true king of NU - Choice. Scarf. Klinlang. RIP in peace.​

Last edited:
OO U-turn, Knock Off, Taunt on offensive, mixed LO, Earth Power, HP Grass

Offensive needs Heat Wave for Mega Steelix and wants Stone Edge for opposing Archeops. If we're ignoring suspects, remove Earthquake for Stone Edge. If not, remove U-turn for Heat Wave.

CanadianWifier

Run Away With Me

Offensive needs Heat Wave for Mega Steelix and wants Stone Edge for opposing Archeops. If we're ignoring suspects, remove Earthquake for Stone Edge. If not, remove U-turn for Heat Wave.
will get around to making this not so shitty later today. ty for OO stuff
you guys told me in call stone edge is bad :( adding it now.

edit: did most of the "de-shittifying", will work on it more later

Last edited:
it is kinda bad right now, but hitting other archeops is p huge because they usually can't touch you. also hits rotom-fan and maybe some other relevant stuff. again, this is all about post-ban meta.

CanadianWifier

Run Away With Me
Alright, I'll be kinda MIA the next few days as I'm heading home for the weekend - so I tried to finish/pretty this up best I could before hand.

This is now QC ready, I'll implement all checks and suggestions on Monday night :)

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Overview
  • ayyy lmao
Offensive
  • Slash Taunt with U-turn, even on offensive it's useful to Taunt things like Uxie and Garbodor as well as beating Weezing without getting burnt. It also a decent last resort to prevent setup from random sweepers like Gatr
  • Don't even mention Sitrus in Set Details. OO if anything and even that's pretty iffy
  • I agree Archeops doesn't need too much support, but it would also be good to list Pokemon that benefit from Archeops rather than solely the other way around. For example most slower balance and bulky offense likes Archeops's Speed and coverage, and plenty of Pokemon benefit from it luring out and weakening most physically defensive Pokemon.
Lead
  • Mention Head Smash lets it OHKO Xatu and is really powerful in general
  • Give a specific mention to spinblockers in Usage Tips

CanadianWifier

Run Away With Me
Overview
  • ayyy lmao
Offensive
  • Slash Taunt with U-turn, even on offensive it's useful to Taunt things like Uxie and Garbodor as well as beating Weezing without getting burnt. It also a decent last resort to prevent setup from random sweepers like Gatr
  • Don't even mention Sitrus in Set Details. OO if anything and even that's pretty iffy
  • I agree Archeops doesn't need too much support, but it would also be good to list Pokemon that benefit from Archeops rather than solely the other way around. For example most slower balance and bulky offense likes Archeops's Speed and coverage, and plenty of Pokemon benefit from it luring out and weakening most physically defensive Pokemon.
Lead
  • Mention Head Smash lets it OHKO Xatu and is really powerful in general
  • Give a specific mention to spinblockers in Usage Tips
I mentioned sitrus in set details to try to deter people from even thinking about using it in the first place - anyone who is dumb enough to want to use sitrus wont read past the first set, and if we don't explain why its bad, they won't listen to logic :[

rest is implemented :]

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
People like that are just gonna skim through, see the words "Sitrus Berry," and think it's decent. If we don't want them to think about using it then it's better to not mention it at all

Also write the Overview :[

mont edit: and remove banned mons.

Last edited by a moderator:

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
CanadianWifier

Put the overview into bullet points please, just for the sake of consistency and such.

In moves of the first set, mention that Stone Edge and Earthquake avoid recoil damage from Garbodor's (and chelmet xatu) rocky helmet / aftermath.

List targets of Earthquake - pawniard, klinklang, probo, etc.

Remove that crossed out line about sitrus berry, its not really accomplishing anything by telling people not what to use, we should be telling what to use.

If the opponent has a Klingklang, or Ferroseed, it's more beneficial to U-turn on the predicted switch as you can keep up offensive momentum, and wear the switch-in down for the next time Archeops forces it into battle.
Was this left when U-turn was still on the set? Its better to say hit appropriate targets with respective coverage moves.

In usage tips, explain how archeops gets in - its important for it not to take hits bc getting closer to defeatist range is sad :[

Change the second sets name to "Lead" - we all know its an archeops lol

Beef up C&C and remove scarf klinklang rofl

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Beef up C&C and remove scarf klinklang rofl
I don't care that it's archeops's #1 kryptonite, lets be serious here, its just not relevant at all :x

I trust that you'll flesh out C&C in the writeup, but at least for now give examples of pokemon in the sections.

Add one more line of stuff to team options in the last set, anything is fine just 2 lines doesnt seem enough.

Aside from that, this looks good - do the above few things and you have

QC Approved 1/3

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Your overview is really just talking about its stats, tell me why its stats are good (like what does it outspeed), the variety of roles it can successfully play?, other stuff I can't get off of bulbapedia?

Actually write out C&C, or put something down and flesh it out even more in writeup cause ik you're going to forget.

I put in one of my own checks :^)

CanadianWifier

Run Away With Me
Your overview is really just talking about its stats, tell me why its stats are good (like what does it outspeed), the variety of roles it can successfully play?, other stuff I can't get off of bulbapedia?

Actually write out C&C, or put something down and flesh it out even more in writeup cause ik you're going to forget.

I put in one of my own checks :^)
I ran with your edit a little bit, hope it looks ok!

Anyway all should be implemented :)

CanadianWifier

Run Away With Me
yea, considering it's pretty much all written up I'm cool with doing it! Monts never coming back to give 2/3 tho, so if you want to give it a look that'd be cool

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Earthquake can be slashed after Aqua Tail on the Offensive set. Aqua Tail is nice for Rhydon but Earthquake hits other Rock-types such as Regirock and most notably Carracosta for more damage (which makes your statement of "Aqua Tail also hits every other bulky Rock-type for super effective damage" erroneous). The importance of being able to hit Steel-types like Klinklang and Mawile, which are actually dangerous, should also be stressed.

**Scarfed Pokemon You Didn't Think Were Scarfed**: As kiyo would say, "yo, wtf? why is guy so bad?". This would likely be followed up by Evan mentioning that, "oh boy, we got some innovation going on here boys". Steven would then remove someone from the call for no reason, Queen would go back to sipping his tea and whinging about stall, hollywood would continue being cute but lazy as shit, and tennis would continue playing poorly and blaming it on his opponents. :)
harr harr real funneh now go back to putting **Faster Attacks** like Scarf mons and priority and shit we trying to be boring standurd profesyionals here

Edit: CanadianWifier retracting my QC bcos I still don't see EQ slashed after Aqua Tail since not all teams want / need Rhydon weakened, and wtf Scarf Klinklang in Faster Attackers come on man

Fine wtv QC 2/3 and shit

Last edited:

CanadianWifier

Run Away With Me
retagging Raseri cause i know he's actually active and i just wanna get this thing outta qc and on site lol

added mentions of magneton, moved EQ to first slash, and removed toad.

mention band a bit more positively in OO (Stone Edge / U-turn / Knock Off / EQ is really threatening). In the overview, Swellow is still kinda relevant and is faster than Archeops, so reword that a bit

Run some powerful Pokemon then make like a custodian and sweep, yo.
custodians do more than sweep! (change this pls i have a strict no meme policy or else ogles will kill me)

3/3

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)