Battle Spot - Simple Questions and Answers

I've heard of setting up DMZ to fix various wifi issues. Might try it myself when I have the chance. ;)

I recently got a new router and was estatic that it let me battle period. Before that, I constantly got disconnected to the point of being unable to play BS at all, so the inability to find opponents half of the time didn't really bother me. Finding someone 1 out of 10 times and always being able to finish the battle was far superior to finding someone more frequently but only being able to complete the battle 1/10 of the time. xD
I have that too now! It keeps disconnecting and makes my rating so low ... Luckily i have two homes and at my mothers house the problem doesnt occur at all!

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Rotations is a format I've never really been able to get in to for a few reasons, but mostly because it's just so damn intimidating. I've decided I'd finally like to try it out with Gravity, which seems pretty simple in execution. I sort of have an idea what to do, I talk to Theorymon a lot :)

Meowstic-M
Prankster obviously
Gravity / Screens? / Fake Out?

Garchomp @ Choice Band
Earthquake / doesn't matter / doesn't matter / still doesn't matter

Mega Gengar
Hypnosis / Shadow Ball / Sludge Bomb / filler?

Porygon2 @Eviolite
who knows?

Grass mon to resist other Earthquakes and use accurate Sleep Powder (maybe Grasswhistle Whimsicott?)

idk

Am I doing this totally wrong or am I at least on the right track?

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Meowstic-M
Prankster obviously
Gravity / Screens? / Fake Out?

Garchomp @ Choice Band
Earthquake / doesn't matter / doesn't matter / still doesn't matter

Mega Gengar
Hypnosis / Shadow Ball / Sludge Bomb / filler?

Porygon2 @Eviolite
who knows?

Grass mon to resist other Earthquakes and use accurate Sleep Powder (maybe Grasswhistle Whimsicott?)

idk
This seems pretty solid as a starting point - I feel like you need slightly more bulk and much more power, as well as more type coverage to hit things in case Gravity doesn't get up for whatever reason. I think Chandelure may be a good idea to dodge Screens Offense, perhaps a Scarf set with Inferno to take advantage of Gravity and do more wallbreaking stuff with the guaranteed burn? As for your Grass type, there's a bunch that you could use - Grass Whistle is probably the best option to pierce Substitutes and dodge things like Grass-types and Safety Goggles, but there aren't a whole bunch of fantastic Grass-types that a) get it and b) aren't neutral to Ground. Cacturne could be worth looking into for the Water immunity and access to Sucker Punch for surprising Chandelure and Aegislash. Mega Sceptile could be worth looking into for a fast Grass Whistle but it has zero synergy with Garchomp and takes your mega slot, so unless you're willing to part with Mega Gengar (I'm not sold on its usefulness given that Shadow Tag is not amazing in Rotations and there are other hast Hypnosis types out there like Crobat) then feel free to bench that suggestion. Just listing a bunch of options, but Chandelure does strike me as a good idea here :)

Psynergy

Triumph and Glory
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Battle Stadium Head
Been getting interested in learning Battle Spot but I'm a little stuck on how to use Rotom-W in Singles here. Is the standard spread just a regular physically defensive spread (with some speed creep I assume) or is there something else being run in this metagame? Planning to use it alongside Mega Blaziken if that helps give a good reference point.

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Been getting interested in learning Battle Spot but I'm a little stuck on how to use Rotom-W in Singles here. Is the standard spread just a regular physically defensive spread (with some speed creep I assume) or is there something else being run in this metagame? Planning to use it alongside Mega Blaziken if that helps give a good reference point.
Check out the PGL site to get detailed usage statistics on pretty much everything: 3ds.pokemon-gl.com/battle/oras/

More Rotoms are Modest (offensive) nowadays but a good number are still Bold. I personally use Defensive Rotom as well. It's a good partner for Blaziken if you're wanting it to take on Talonflames and Gyarados and such for Blaziken.

Most use Will-o-Wisp/Hydro Pump/Volt Switch/Thunderbolt, although you can switch out Will-o-Wisp for Thunder Wave. Blaziken will be faster than everything though, so I guess it's not really needed.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Max HP + Def is fine since you don't need to creep anything that badly. Have a play around with it and see if there are any things that outspeed you that you would really like to get the jump on and adjust the EVs accordingly. But really, Rotom-W really needs all the physical bulk it can get so it can reliably take on strong mons like Kangskhan, Talonflame, Mega Salamence, Landorus-T and Garchomp

What is the best Mega Scizor set/EV spread? Is it Bullet Punch/SD/Roost/U-Turn? What are the best non-legendary partners to M-Scizor? (Yes, I know Heatran is amazing, but it's hard to get a good one on cartridge).

Pearl

Romance は風のまま
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the 7th Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Champion
uh, throwing some questions in here as i finish my ORAS battle spot team:

1. So, I just got soft reset'd myself a 31/31/28/31/29/31 Adamant Pentagon Entei and I'd like to know whether it requires any customizable EV spread to be effective or if it's safe to go with the nice n old 252/252. Also, I suppose Assault Vest is the superior item in this format as opposed to CB? Allows you to tank Aeger's Shadow Ball better among other stuff, which along with Sacred Fire being non-contact make you one of the most solid checks to it. Also, lack of Extreme Speed takes away one of CB's main selling points and Flame Charge sounds neat af too

2. How worth is it to carry more than a single Mega Evolution per team? I suppose it's worth it but I'd still like to hear an elaborate opinion on it n_n

3. Are PP Ups core to success? Like, I have no way of getting those efficiently and am heavily against cheating, even if it's in such a small thing. I'm spending the little amount of PP Ups I can get on low PP moves like Stone Edge and the aforementioned Entei's Sacred Fire btw

I guess that's all for now, cheers :)

Last edited:

Hulavuta

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

1. So, I just got soft reset'd myself a 31/31/28/31/29/31 Adamant Pentagon Entei and I'd like to know whether it requires any customizable EV spread to be effective or if it's safe to go with the nice n old 252/252. Also, I suppose Assault Vest is the superior item in this format as opposed to CB? Allows you to tank Aeger's Shadow Ball better among other stuff, which along with Sacred Fire being non-contact make you one of the most solid checks to it. Also, lack of Extreme Speed takes away one of CB's main selling points and Flame Charge sounds neat af too

2. How worth is it to carry more than a single Mega Evolution per team? I suppose it's worth it but I'd still like to hear an elaborate opinion on it n_n

3. Are PP Ups core to success? Like, I have no way of getting those efficiently and am heavily against cheating, even if it's in such a small thing. I'm spending the little amount of PP Ups I can get on low PP moves like Stone Edge and the aforementioned Entei's Sacred Fire btw

1. Generally I like going with generalized EV spreads as you will almost never change them, so it's better to use one that works most of the time. You can always check the PGL site to know what is most popular (and unlike with Pokemon Showdown, what is most common pretty much always correlates to what is good). Assault Vest is the most common, but Choice Band can work.

2. Great idea to use two megas on the same team. You can use something like Mega Gengar and Blaziken on the same team, pull out Gengar to stop a stall team and use Blaziken vs. an offensive team. (Not that Gengar isn't good against offense, but you get the point).

3. PP Ups help but they're not really needed at all, unless you're using a stall team and you're doing something like Protect Toxic stall with Chansey. Games in this format are very quick so it's rarely needed, except for 5 PP moves like Stone Edge, Fire Blast, Draco Meteor, etc.

You can get many PP Ups from the PGL site with Pokemiles. Just save up Pokemiles and you can get a bunch at a time. Good of you not to cheat by the way.

Also, Aegislash really isn't that great honestly. Don't worry too much about it lol

Dragonite and Scizor are BFFs. Garchomp and Scizor. Basically, Dragons and and Scizor are BFFs. Also, Fire types are sweet too like Zards and Talonflame.
Those 4x grass weak mons like Swampert Gastrodon and Quaggy are all sick too. Vintage Rotom-Scizor volt-turn action is the simplest yet one of the most effective duos in the game too! Specs Rotom-W is a component of many top global rated teams and is one Rotom variant that tends to dismantle my well-built teams big time due to that gargantuan power and ability to trick specs onto mons who need to switch moves like P2 (and since it deals so superbly vs my well-built teams it comes as no surprise when I see it as the set a 2200+ rated player had on their team)!

Hippowdon and Scizor make for great teammates too for the same reason that Swampert makes a good partner with Scizor but unlike Pert, it can slack off whereas Pert is for more fast paced teams such as with M-Pinsir and m-Salamence setup sweepers.

PS: WOW!! I had this on my "draft" for over half a day even though I meant to post this ages ago when the user who asked about Scizor initially asked. If he/she didn't Like my earlier post in this thread I wouldn't have even noticed! I thought this was the post that was being highlighted >_<
Forum rage >:(

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

1. If uninvested, your Entei's defensive stats will only be one point lower than what they would be if the IVs were perfect, so it isn't a huge deal at all. Nice SR! Just go with the good old max/max spread and you'll be fine

2. I almost always have more than one mega on my team. That's one if the best things about bring 6 pick 3, you can have one for different situations / team matchups.

3. No it's not worth stressing out about PP Ups unless you have bulk amounts of them. Only bother using them on 5pp moves since you'll often find yourself wanting extra, maybe even moves with 10, but you'll rarely use up all your PP on moves with base 15 and higher unless you're in a huge stall war. But like Hula said, you can get then real easy off the PGL Pokemileage club. Just bum around on Wonder Trade if you don't have many Pokemiles saved

What is the best Mega Scizor set/EV spread? Is it Bullet Punch/SD/Roost/U-Turn? What are the best non-legendary partners to M-Scizor? (Yes, I know Heatran is amazing, but it's hard to get a good one on cartridge).
I don't really get the idea behind Swords Dance and U-turn, I'd much rather use Bug Bite if you're gonna boost. Bullet Punch can only get you so far. I dunno, some people do run it but I just don't get it! You can just go simple with 244 HP / 252 Atk / 12 Spe. You could probably try to reach a speed tier with your EVs but I haven't used Mega Scizor yet so I don't know exactly what it wants to outspeed, so give the speed tiers thread a look to see what you might want to get the jump on

I'm looking to get into battle spot singles again, and I was wondering about a few things:

1 Best set(s) for mega Salamense? I was thinking something along the lines of this: Ability: Intimidate, Nature: Adamant, Evs: 24 hp / 252 atk / 232 spe (to creep Garchomp) Moves: Return, Earthquake, Dragon Dance, Roost

2. Is aegislash and greninja as amazing as they are in 6v6 and best set for aegislash?

2. Is aegislash and greninja as amazing as they are in 6v6 and best set for aegislash?
Not as amazing; but they're both still good and Aegislash is still amazing in my opinion. I personally like KS/Shadow Ball/Flash Cannon/Shadow Sneak with Weakness Policy since Flash Cannon after the boost can OHKO some variants of mega Kanga. However, the sub toxic set is really good too (sub/toxic/shadow ball/king's shield(?), with lefties). Aegi can also run swords dance (i.e weakness policy/air balloon Swords Dance/Iron Head/King's Shield/Shadow Sneak), and even some other sets (like Shadow Sneak/KS/Shadow Ball/Sacred Sword) depending on what your team needs. I don't know if there's really a "best" set, it just depends on what suits your team. The weirdest I've seen is SD/Iron Head/Shadow Ball/KS (no shadow sneak), presumably with a Weakness Policy, and it still seemed to work for my opponent.

Are there any particular KOs the 24 HP EVs are allowing Salamence to survive? I would recommend going up to at least 236 Speed, since your Mence still speed ties with Garchomp after mega evolving, and I think you want to outspeed Garchomp 100% of the time. Also, 24 HP EVs and 20 HP EVs result in the same number of HP, so transferring 4 EVs to Speed won't reduce HP, just optimize your spread. I actually think going to 252 Speed might be worthwhile, since that would result in a speed tie with positively-natured base speed 105s. The most notable of these is probably Manectric before mega-evolving, who can deal massive damage with HP Ice. Lopunny, who gets Ice Punch, is also base 105 before mega evolving, but will most likely use Fake Out to increase its speed.

Last edited:
Not as amazing; but they're both still good and Aegislash is still amazing in my opinion. I personally like KS/Shadow Ball/Flash Cannon/Shadow Sneak with Weakness Policy since Flash Cannon after the boost can OHKO some variants of mega Kanga. However, the sub toxic set is really good too (sub/toxic/shadow ball/king's shield(?), with lefties). Aegi can also run swords dance (i.e weakness policy/air balloon Swords Dance/Iron Head/King's Shield/Shadow Sneak), and even some other sets (like Shadow Sneak/KS/Shadow Ball/Sacred Sword) depending on what your team needs. I don't know if there's really a "best" set, it just depends on what suits your team. The weirdest I've seen is SD/Iron Head/Shadow Ball/KS (no shadow sneak), presumably with a Weakness Policy, and it still seemed to work for my opponent.

Are there any particular KOs the 24 HP EVs are allowing Salamence to survive? I would recommend going up to at least 236 Speed, since your Mence still speed ties with Garchomp after mega evolving, and I think you want to outspeed Garchomp 100% of the time. Also, 24 HP EVs and 20 HP EVs result in the same number of HP, so transferring 4 EVs to Speed won't reduce HP, just optimize your spread. I actually think going to 252 Speed might be worthwhile, since that would result in a speed tie with positively-natured base speed 105s. The most notable of these is probably Manectric before mega-evolving, who can deal massive damage with HP Ice. Lopunny, who gets Ice Punch, is also base 105 before mega evolving, but will most likely use Fake Out to increase its speed.
Thanks a lot :) I did the calcs for lv. 100 (thinking it made no difference) and 232 hits 334 speed where chomp sits at 333. I think you might be right about the max speed thing, moving 16 evs most likely wont make any difference at all for the bulk.

I've got a question. How do I sign up for Rating Battles?
http://3ds.pokemon-gl.com/

Try signing up on this website. If you already have, try performing a game sync with your game card with the respective pokemon game you have (Game Sync is an option of the Player Search System, this option shows up when you tap the grey icon on the player search system screen). There should be a code shown in your game that you can use if you were able to game sync successfully iirc. After that, you can enter the given code on your account on the Pokemon Global Link website and you can enjoy your rating battles :)

Hulavuta

How do you add those cool sprites of pokemon in your posts?
You can right click and hit view image to find the URL of where the image is from. For most of the Pokemon, the URL will be exactly the same except with a different Pokemon name. So you can just replace the name of the Pokemon in that URL and it will have the sprite of whatever Pokemon you want.

You can right click and hit view image to find the URL of where the image is from. For most of the Pokemon, the URL will be exactly the same except with a different Pokemon name. So you can just replace the name of the Pokemon in that URL and it will have the sprite of whatever Pokemon you want.
Omg it works!

Thanks!

Yeah it's actually based on total HP points remaining, not percentage. This allows for calculating the winner when there is more than one Pokemon on a team. So overly bulky Pokemon like Chansey / Blissey give you a huge advantage in that regard

ps: we have a simple questions thread in the Battle Spot forum that you can use for these
According to this, no, the percentage of HP remaining is used to determine a victory; if the players have the same percentage of HP remaining, THEN total HP is used to determine a winner.

PGL said:
Match Time Limit
• The tournament timer automatically counts down during your battle. If time runs out before either player causes his or her opponent’s final Pokémon to faint, the winner of the match will be determined by the criteria below:

1) Remaining Pokémon
a. If one player has more remaining Pokémon than the other, that player wins the match
b. If both players have the same number of Pokémon remaining, the winner is determined by average percentage of HP remaining

2) Average Percentage of HP Remaining
a. If one player’s team has a higher average percentage of HP remaining, that player wins the match
b. If both players’ teams have the same average HP remaining, the result of the match is determined by total HP remaining

3) Total HP Remaining
a. If one player’s team has a higher total HP remaining, that player wins the match
b. If both players’ teams have the same total HP remaining, the match is a tie
We had 1 mon each, so 1) is a tie; moves on to 2).
I had 100% HP remaining, he had 75% (took Leech Seed + Poison damage at 100% HP = 1/8 damage each, so 24-25% max HP chopped off).
So, according to 2) a, I had a higher average HP percentage, so I won. Step 3 would only happen if we both had an equal percentage.

Either PGL has its order of operations in the wrong order, or 100 > 75 = false. So, one of these is wrong and I'm losing points to it.

edit: source sorry

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
According to this, no, the percentage of HP remaining is used to determine a victory; if the players have the same percentage of HP remaining, THEN total HP is used to determine a winner.

We had 1 mon each, so 1) is a tie; moves on to 2).
I had 100% HP remaining, he had 75% (took Leech Seed + Poison damage at 100% HP = 1/8 damage each, so 24-25% max HP chopped off).
So, according to 2) a, I had a higher average HP percentage, so I won. Step 3 would only happen if we both had an equal percentage.

Either PGL has its order of operations in the wrong order, or 100 > 75 = false. So, one of these is wrong and I'm losing points to it.

edit: source sorry
Hmmm, well you're right, according to those regulations you should be the winner, but it's hard to argue against the results. Either they have in fact messed up the regulations on the PGL, or the Chansey wasn't actually the last Pokemon left on your opponent's team... (hey I've definitely made that mistake before, especially if they've been stalling you forever it's hard to remember lol)

Hmmm, well you're right, according to those regulations you should be the winner, but it's hard to argue against the results. Either they have in fact messed up the regulations on the PGL, or the Chansey wasn't actually the last Pokemon left on your opponent's team... (hey I've definitely made that mistake before, especially if they've been stalling you forever it's hard to remember lol)
no, it was Doubles, 1 pokemon each on the field, 3 KO'd each.

Z9PG-WWWW-WW2X-7QAT

Last two turns occured after the game timer hit 0, btw.
Ive seen the battle and its very strange indeed, maybe you could send the link from the battle to gamefreak or nintendo contact! The only thing i can think of is that when the timer hits 0 the game has decided who had won, and at that time chansey maybe was at full hp, and that the moves after that only count when they knock the other out or something.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
Yeah I'm thinking that the result was decided when the timer hit 0, anything that happened after that didn't count. The Toxic / Leech Seed damage happened after the counter ended, so it calculated it with Chansey at 100% which went to the second criteria (since you were both at full), Chansey has way more HP than you so they won...

All in all, this is just really unfortunate for you :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)