Slowbro (GP 2/2)

Slowbro
[QC: 3/3]--Sweep / Nayrz / Dice
[GP: 2/2]--Malley / Minus

[OVERVIEW]

Mega Slowbro is one of the premier defensive powerhouses in the Uber tier. Its magnificent bulk and decent typing allow it to wall top tier-threats such as Primal Groudon and Ho-oh. Before Mega Evolving Slowbro has access to Regenerator and Slack Off, which grants it the ability to switch in and out frequently without being worn down easily. It has a very wide movepool and reasonable Special Attack, which prevents it from being too passive. Slowbro's access to Thunder Wave aids it in shutting down physical sweepers and slowing faster Pokemon for its teammates to outspeed and possibly kill. While Slowbro is a fantastic wall, it has flaws just like every other Pokemon. Its speed tier is terrible so just about any Pokemon in the meta out-speeds it with ease. It has mediocre Special Defense which prevents it from being an all-round wall, so it should not be switching into special attackers. Though its typing provides it with a few resistances, it also leaves it vulnerable to Pursuit which Pokemon like Tyranitar can take advantage of. It loses Regenerator when Mega Evolving, which, while it doesn't completely cripple it, does force you to play a little more safely with it. Mega Slowbro also hates entry hazards and just about any type of damage that accumulates over time.

[SET]
Name: Defensive
Move 1: Slack Off
Move 2: Ice Beam
Move 3: Toxic / Thunder Wave
Move 4: Scald / Iron Defense
Ability: Regenerator
Item: Slowbronite
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Nature: Bold

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Slack Off is Slowbro's best and most reliable recovery move. Always run it on the defensive set, as it prevents you from being worn down easily and aids you in stalling out your opponent. Ice Beam is necessary for Slowbro to be an effective check to Mega Salamence. It inflicts reliable damage, unlike Toxic which can be cured by Refresh. Ice Beam is also Slowbro's best way of directly damaging Primal Groudon. Toxic is great for crippling opposing walls and stalling out common threats such as Ho-oh, Groudon, and Arceus, which otherwise would not take any significant damage from Slowbro. Scald is its most reliable Water STAB move, which has a chance to burn the foe, discouraging Pokemon such as Kyogre and Gengar from switching in.

Set Details
========

Maximum HP and Defense investment allow Slowbro to tank hits from strong physical attackers, such as Mega Lucario and Mega Salamence. Regenerator is necessary to keep Slowbro alive, as it allows Slowbro to recover a bit of HP every time it switches out.

Usage tips
========

Thunder Wave should be used to cripple Choice Scarf users and Speed boosters that would normally outspeed your sweepers, while Toxic can also be used in order to to stall out opposing Pokemon. Scald is a great utility move to burn physical attackers and maximize Slowbro's ability to wall them. Avoid Mega Evolving immediately to take full advantage of Regenerator. Slack Off should be used to stall out Pokemon and healing off damage when needed, but try to utilize Regenerator to the best of your ability to avoid running out of Slack Off PP late-game. Slowbro receives Shell Armor when Mega Evolving, which allows it to stall out Pokemon more efficiently given that it is not prone to critical hits. Try to avoid all special attacks if possible (besides Lava Plume from Groudon), as Slowbro has mediocre Special Defense. Despite Slowbro having outstanding Defense, do not overestimate its bulk. It can still be defeated.

Team Options
========

Ferrothorn forms a fantastic defensive core with Slowbro, as they cover each others-weaknesses flawlessly. Swords Dance Ground Arceus pairs well with Slowbro, as Slowbro resists both of Ground Arceus's weaknesses while Arceus is immune to one of Slowbro's. Slowbro's Toxic can cripple some of Arceus's checks such as Lugia which makes for an easy late-game sweep. A special attacking cleric can remove status ailments inflicted upon Slowbro. Xerneas fulfills this role exceptionally, as it can keep Slowbro from being crippled by status with Aromatherapy. In return, Slowbro can wear down its checks while resisting Xerneas's Steel-type weakness. Defog support is greatly appreciated considering that hazards hinder Slowbro's ability to freely switch in and out after losing Regenerator, which makes Latios and Latias outstanding partners for it. Latias even more so, as it can provide Healing Wish support in to addition Defog support.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Trick Room can be run in order to aid slower teammates and Slowbro itself. Shadow Ball can be used to deal with Aegislash, Mew, and Mewtwo effectively. Yawn is an option to put sweepers to sleep and potentially begin a counter sweep. Amnesia can help patch up Slowbro's mediocre Special Defense. Flamethrower and Fire Blast can be run in order to catch Steel-types off-guard and potentially OHKO them. Grass Knot is a way to deal damage to Kyogre on the switch-in and hit Groudon a little harder. Psyshock is a move to consider, as it hits Gengar for super effective damage. Calm Mind can be run to serve as a boosting win condition on stall. This should only be run if the team does not already have one, however, as this set is outclassed by many other Calm Mind users.

Checks & Counters
=================

**Primal Kyogre**: Kyogre can easily switch into Slowbro OHKO it with Thunder.

**Dark-types**: Dark-types such Darkrai and Yveltal easily beat Slowbro due to its weakness to Dark-type moves.

**Special Walls**: Special Walls are able to absorb any hit Slowbro wants to go for and can proceed to cripple it with a status move.

**Hazards**: As Slowbro will be switching in and out frequently, hazards will eventually wear it down, especially if it has Mega Evolved.

**Special Attackers**: Special Attackers overwhelm Slowbro because of its lack of special bulk.

**Stallbreakers**: Stallbreakers with Taunt prevent Slowbro from using status moves and Slack Off, both of which are hugely important for it.

**Electric-types**: Despite the lack of common Electric-types in Ubers, they still threaten Slowbro and can deal a great amount of damage to it.

**Mega Gengar**: Mega Gengar traps Slowbro and easily removes it.

**Toxic and Toxic Spikes**: Being poisoned is detrimental to Slowbro's ability as an efficient wall.

Last edited:

Minority

Numquam Vincar
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Other Options section should come at the end before C&C. Also for a defensive mon it doesn't have that many resistances, has no immunities, if afflicted by all status and entry hazards, hates Toxic, all cons worth mentioning in the overview.

I also think you vastly overstate this mon's capabilities in the overview. This mon is absolutely shredded by SD P Don, same goes for SD Ray which deals upward of 87% (meaning if you have any prior damage at all or if hazards are in play you die when switching into Ray that SD). This mon doesn't really check EKiller either unless it gets lucky with Scald; +2 Shadow Claw has a decent chance to 2HKO.

If you don't have Toxic you can't really punish Ho-Oh or P Don, but if you don't have T Wave then your team needs a dedicated defensive swich-in for Xerneas. If you don't have Ice Beam you can't really beat Mega Mence, so really that should be the only coverage move that is slashed, all the other moves hit far less relevant targets.

If you don't have Toxic you can't really punish Ho-Oh or P Don, but if you don't have T Wave then your team needs a dedicated defensive swich-in for Xerneas. If you don't have Ice Beam you can't really beat Mega Mence, so really that should be the only coverage move that is slashed, all the other moves hit far less relevant targets.
Though, I completely agree with this statement, Slowbro should not be a switch-in for Xerneas under any circumstances. Toxic is definitely a must have on it If you plan on damaging Ho-oh and P Don, I have Thunder Wave slashed for people who already have them completely covered and want an alternate status move.

Glad to see someone wrote a skeleton up for this.

Overview:

Good, just remove Foul Play mention (which sucks)

Set One:

I don't agree with the slashing. Toxic, Ice Beam, and Slack Off are all necessary and should all be unslashed, and Psyshock sucks because Mega Gengar hates Slowbro's somewhat powerful Scalds anyway. Slash Scald with Iron Defense in the last slot and mention Thunder Wave in Moves. Iron Defense + Shell Armor guarantees you are a reliable check to Shadow Claw EKiller and Refresh Mega Salamence. Iron Defense + Toxic also handles all Groudon 1-1, although it cannot switch into SD on the switch. EVs are good, no need to be fancy in this physical metagame.

Moves:

Only mention Thunder Wave and Fire Blast here. Grass Knot is bad bc your other moves hit SD Groundceus as well and you should never stay in on Kyogre. Psyshock only hits Gengar, which again doesn't really like switching in anyway...especially since they don't always run Shadow Ball. Fire Blast > Flamethrower to 2HKO Klefki IMO. Also, mention Moves in the order in which they appear on the set, with unslashed moves coming last.

Set Details:

Nothing wrong here.

Usage Tips:

De-emphasize Thunder Wave. Also remove the Pursuit "weakness," Scizor and Aegislash tickle Slowbro with it and Slowbro easily sits on standard Tyranitar anyway since they almost never carry Crunch. Bullet three is good except Slowbro will rarely run out of Slack Offs. Remove the last bullet point, which is filler. Mention somewhere that this can Toxic stall effectively because of Toxic, Slack Off, great physical bulk, Shell armor, and (possibly) Iron Defense.

Team Options:

Explicitly mention Latios as a good Defog partner. SD Groundceus and Ferrothorn are excellent partners, I agree. CM Ghost Arceus is not.

Set Two:

I reject a Calm Mind analysis on the basis that it's too weak to Toxic. Rest without Sleep Talk is an unsatisfactory way to solve this issue. You also lose to other CM users 1-1.

Other Options:

Psyshock, Grass Knot, and weak-ass Flamethrower go here. Remove Surf mention, it sucks on bulky waters. Amnesia and Yawn could be situationally cool, keep those.

Checks & Counters:

Mention both Toxic and Toxic Spikes her

Glad to see someone wrote a skeleton up for this.

Overview:

Good, just remove Foul Play mention (which sucks)

Set One:

I don't agree with the slashing. Toxic, Ice Beam, and Slack Off are all necessary and should all be unslashed, and Psyshock sucks because Mega Gengar hates Slowbro's somewhat powerful Scalds anyway. Slash Scald with Iron Defense in the last slot and mention Thunder Wave in Moves. Iron Defense + Shell Armor guarantees you are a reliable check to Shadow Claw EKiller and Refresh Mega Salamence. Iron Defense + Toxic also handles all Groudon 1-1, although it cannot switch into SD on the switch. EVs are good, no need to be fancy in this physical metagame.

Moves:

Only mention Thunder Wave and Fire Blast here. Grass Knot is bad bc your other moves hit SD Groundceus as well and you should never stay in on Kyogre. Psyshock only hits Gengar, which again doesn't really like switching in anyway...especially since they don't always run Shadow Ball. Fire Blast > Flamethrower to 2HKO Klefki IMO. Also, mention Moves in the order in which they appear on the set, with unslashed moves coming last.

Set Details:

Nothing wrong here.

Usage Tips:

De-emphasize Thunder Wave. Also remove the Pursuit "weakness," Scizor and Aegislash tickle Slowbro with it and Slowbro easily sits on standard Tyranitar anyway since they almost never carry Crunch. Bullet three is good except Slowbro will rarely run out of Slack Offs. Remove the last bullet point, which is filler. Mention somewhere that this can Toxic stall effectively because of Toxic, Slack Off, great physical bulk, Shell armor, and (possibly) Iron Defense.

Team Options:

Explicitly mention Latios as a good Defog partner. SD Groundceus and Ferrothorn are excellent partners, I agree. CM Ghost Arceus is not.

Set Two:

I reject a Calm Mind analysis on the basis that it's too weak to Toxic. Rest without Sleep Talk is an unsatisfactory way to solve this issue. You also lose to other CM users 1-1.

Other Options:

Psyshock, Grass Knot, and weak-ass Flamethrower go here. Remove Surf mention, it sucks on bulky waters. Amnesia and Yawn could be situationally cool, keep those.

Checks & Counters:

Mention both Toxic and Toxic Spikes her
Thank you Sweep. I'm making the changes right now.

Sweep I'm fairly certain I made all of the suggested changes, except deleting the Calm Mind set. Though, I agree that it's outclassed by other Calm Mind users I think it's also good to mention. It can find some use on stall as a win condition if they do not already have a booster(or just want an extra one). If you still think I should completely delete it, I'll go ahead and do that but I'm just confirming with you first.

Actually, move it to OO. You can devote a sentence as to why it might be usable on some teams, and a sentence as to why it isn't very effective in this metagame.

QC 1/3

Actually, move it to OO. You can devote a sentence as to why it might be usable on some teams, and a sentence as to why it isn't very effective in this metagame.

QC 1/3
so get rid of the Calm Mind set but just list Calm Mind as a move in OO and explain it's positives and negatives?

Sweep how's this "Calm Mind can be ran in order to serve as a boosting Win condition on stall. Only if the team does not already have one, this set is outclassed by many other Calm Mind users."

Im a little on the fence about this one. Slowbro needs to be mega evolved to be able to check these threats, and switching into them to get the mega off and recover is a free turn for the opponent. Once you are evolved however, it does seem to wall most physical threats pretty damn well. Calm Mind is an OO mention to me as well - it just doesn't have the spare moveslot for it anyway, but i can see where it fits on very specific stall teams. Move it to OO like Sweep said. The skeleton is really well done though, enough for me to believe you can do a good job at selling this mon, so i'll approve. Hopefully this doesn't end up rejected after you spend time writing it up. We also have a new analysis format that you will have to change the skeleton to before writing, though.

QC 2/3

Im a little on the fence about this one. Slowbro needs to be mega evolved to be able to check these threats, and switching into them to get the mega off and recover is a free turn for the opponent. Once you are evolved however, it does seem to wall most physical threats pretty damn well. Calm Mind is an OO mention to me as well - it just doesn't have the spare moveslot for it anyway, but i can see where it fits on very specific stall teams. Move it to OO like Sweep said. The skeleton is really well done though, enough for me to believe you can do a good job at selling this mon, so i'll approve. Hopefully this doesn't end up rejected after you spend time writing it up. We also have a new analysis format that you will have to change the skeleton to before writing, though.

QC 2/3
Yeah I know this mon fairly well. I use it in both Ubers and OU frequently, also I'll make sure I'll make the changes for the new format. Thanks for notifying me.

jzplr

formerly SuperLuigi9624
I kinda object to the idea of Iron Defense as a whole, but assuming it is viable, why use it over Amnesia? I mean, Bold 252/252 Mega Slowbro is basically invincible physically, I mean look at this --
252+ Atk Choice Band Modded to be Electric type Teravolt Kyurem-B Fusion Bolt vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Slowbro: 308-366 (78.1 - 92.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Freeroamer

The greatest story of them all.
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
I kinda object to the idea of Iron Defense as a whole, but assuming it is viable, why use it over Amnesia? I mean, Bold 252/252 Mega Slowbro is basically invincible physically, I mean look at this --
252+ Atk Choice Band Modded to be Electric type Teravolt Kyurem-B Fusion Bolt vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Slowbro: 308-366 (78.1 - 92.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Because otherwise threats such as Swords Dance Arceus could attempt to set up and overwhelm Slowbro without the boosts from Iron Defense to keep them in check. Slowbro has no business trying to take any special attacks in Ubers, apart from maybe Lava Plume from Groudon as its supposed to check it.

Malley

Dominachu
Add
Remove/Change
(Comment)
(AC) = Add Comma, (RC) = Remove Comma, (AH) = Add Hyphen, etc.

Where I have removed a hyphen and added a space, the words that the hyphen joined should become two separate words (e.g. Primal Groudon); where I have removed a hyphen and not added a space, the words should be one word (e.g. stallbreaker).

[OVERVIEW]

With the release of OR/AS Slowbro-Mega Mega Slowbro has become is one of the premier defensive powerhouses in the Uber tier. It's Its magnificent bulk and decent typing allows it to wall top-tier (AH) threats such as Primal- Groudon (RH), which is arguably the best Pokemon in Ubers right now, (Do not say things that are so time-sensitive) and Ho-oh. Slowbro before Before mega evolving Mega Evolving Slowbro has access to Regenerator and Slack Off, (AC) which grants it the ability to switch in-and-out (RH) frequently without being worn down easily. It has a very wide move-pool (RH) and reasonable Special Attack, (AC) which prevents it from being too passive. Slowbro having access to crippling moves such as Thunder Wave aides it in shutting down Physical Sweepers physical sweepers and slowing faster Pokemon for it's its team to out-speed (RH) and possibly kill or get damage off. While Slowbro is being a fantastic wall, it has flaws just like every other Pokemon. Its It's speed Speed tier is terrible, (AC) so just about any Pokemon in the meta out-speeds (RH) it with ease. It has mediocre Special Defense which prevents it from being an all-around great wall, so it should not be switching into special attackers by any means. Though it's its typing provides it with a few resistances, it also leaves it Pursuit vulnerable vulnerable to Pursuit which Pokemon like Tyranitar can take advantage of. It loses Regenerator when mega evolving Mega Evolving, (AC) which, (AC) while it won't doesn't completely hinder cripple ("hinder" is a fairly mild word) it, but it will does force you to play a little more safely with it safer. Slowbro also hates entry hazards and just about any type of damage that accumulates will accumulate over time.

[SET]
Name: Defensive
Move 1: Slack Off
Move 2: Ice Beam
Move 3: Toxic (Given how much it is talked about, shouldn't Thunder Wave be slashed?)
Move 4: Scald / Iron Defense
Ability: Regenerator
Item: Slowbronite
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Nature: Bold

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Slack Off is Slowbro's best and most reliable recovery move and it's most reliable one. Always run this on the defensive set, (AC) as it will prevents you Slowbro from being worn down easily and aidse you in stalling out your opponent. Ice Beam is completely necessary for Slowbro to be an effective check to Salamence-Mega Mega Salamence. It is inflicts reliable damage which, unlike toxic Toxic, (RC) which can be cured by Refresh. Ice Beam is also Slowbro's best way of directly damaging Primal- Groudon (RH), besides statusing it. Toxic is great for crippling opposing walls and stalling out common threats such as Ho-oh, Groudon, and Arceus, . (AC, RP) Who who otherwise will would not be taking take any significant relevant damage from Slowbro. Scald is it's its most reliable Water-STAB move, (AC) that which has the a chance to burn the foe, (AC) your opponent discouraging Pokemon, (RC) such as Kyogre or and Gengar from switching in.

Set Details
========

Maximum HP and Defense investment allows Slowbro to tank hits from great strong Physical Attackers physical attackers, like such as Mega Lucario and Mega Salamence Lucario-Mega, Salamence-Mega and the Pokemon already listed above. Regenerator is absolutely necessary to keep Slowbro alive, as it allows Slowbro to recover a bit of HP every time it pivots switches out after taking damage.

Usage tips
========

Thunder Wave should be used to cripple Scarfers Choice Scarf users and Speed -boosters (RH) that would normally outspeed your sweepers. While Toxic can also be used in order to stall out opposing Pokemon your enemy. Scald is a great great when used as a utility move to burn Physical Attackers physical attackers to and maximize Slowbro's ability to wall them. Avoid mega evolving Mega Evolving immediately to take full advantage of Regenerator, wait until late-game to mega evolve. Slack Off should be used when stalling to stall out a Pokemon and healing off damage when needed, but try to utilize Regenerator to the best of your ability to avoid running out of Slack Off PP late-game. Slowbro receives Shell Armor when mega evolving Mega Evolving, (AC) which allows it to stall out pokemon Pokemon more efficiently since given that it is not prone to critical hits. Try to avoid all Special Attacks special attacks if possible (space)(besides Lava Plume from Groudon), (AC) (space)as Slowbro has mediocre Special Defense and is very problematic for it. Despite Slowbro having outstanding Defense defense, do not overestimate it's its bulk. It can still be defeated.

Team Options
========

Ferrothorn forms a fantastic defensive core with Slowbro, as they cover each other's (AH) weaknesses flawlessly. Swords Dance Ground Arceus Arceus-Ground pairs well with Slowbro, (AC) as Slowbro resists both of Arceus-Ground's Ground Arceus's weaknesses while Arceus is immune to one of Slowbro's. Slowbro's Toxic can cripple some of Arceus's checks such as Lugia which will makes for an easy late-game sweep. A special attacking cleric can remove status ailments inflicted upon Slowbro. Xerneas fulfills this role exceptionally, as it It can keep Slowbro from being crippled by status status-ed with Aromatherapy. (AP) while In return, Slowbro can wear down its checks while resisting Xerneas's Steel-Type -type weakness. Defog support is greatly appreciated considering that hazards completely hinder Slowbro's ability to freely switch in- and- out (RHs) without getting worn down, which makes Latios and Latias outstanding partners for it. Even more Latias even more so, as it which can provide Healing Wish Defog support with the in addition to of Healing Wish Defog support (Healing Wish goes first, as it depends on 'as', whereas Defog is secondary (having already been mentioned)).

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Trick Room can be ran run in order to aid slower teammates and Slowbro itself. Shadow Ball can be used to deal with Aegislash, Mew, and Mewtwo effectively. Yawn is an also a status move option which can to put sweepers to sleep and potentially begin a counter sweep. Amnesia can help patch up Slowbro's mediocre Special Defense. Flamethrower and Fire Blast can be ran run in order to catch Steel-Types -types off-guard and potentially OHKO them. Use Flamethrower if you prefer accuracy over damage. Grass Knot is a way to deal damage to Kyogre on the switch-in and hit Groudon a little harder. Psyshock is a move to consider, as it hits Gengar for Super-effective super effective damage. Calm Mind can be ran run in order to serve as a boosting win condition on stall. This should only be run Only if the team does not already have one, however, as this set is outclassed by many other Calm Mind users.
Checks & Counters
=================

**Primal Kyogre**: Kyogre can easily switch into Slowbro without having any drawbacks (Scald burn?) and completely demolish Slowbro OHKO it with a Thunder.
(Line break)
**Dark-types**: Dark-types such a Darkrai and Yveltal completely destroy easily beat Slowbro because of due to it's its weakness to dark-type Dark-type moves.
(Line break)**Special Walls**: Special Walls are able to absorb any hit Slowbro wants to go for and can proceed to status it cripple it with a status move.
(Line break)
**Hazards**: Since As Slowbro will be switching in and out frequently, (AC) hazards will eventually wear it down, especially if it has mega evolved Mega Evolved.
(Line break)
**Special Attackers**: Special Attackers overwhelm Slowbro completely because of it's its lack of special bulk.
(Line break)
**Stall-breakers (RH)**: Stall-breakers (RH) with Taunt prevent Slowbro from using status moves and Slack Off, (AC) both of which is are hugely important for it.
(Line break)
**Electric-types**: Despite Ubers' the lack of common Electric-types in Ubers, they still threaten Slowbro and can deal a great amount of damage to it.
(Line break)
**Mega Gengar**: Mega Gengar traps Slowbro and easily removes completely annihilates it.
(Line break)
**Toxic and Toxic Spikes**: Being poisoned is detrimental to Slowbro's ability to be an efficient wall.

GP 1/2

Last edited:
Facts
You got a gp check dude, the analysis aint done until 2 of these are implemented and you won't get a 2nd until the first is done. pls implement.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)