[Online Competition] 3v3 Little Cup (check OP for the giveaway thread)

Ok so what do guys think of this:

Scyther @ Choice Scarf/Life Orb/whatever you want
Ability: Technician
Level: 5
EVs: 200 Atk / 124 Def / 156 Spe
Naughty/Naive Nature
- U-turn
- Aerial Ace
- Brick Break/Knock Off
- Hidden Power [Ice]

This set lets you beat things like Sneasel, Gligar(Without a rock move) and other Scyther(If you run a scarf). It allows you to live all up to life orb max attack Sneasel ice shards (252 Atk Life Orb Sneasel Ice Shard vs. 0 HP / 124 Def Scyther: 16-18 (69.5 - 78.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO) and always OHKO it back with U-turn/Brick Break. HP Ice 2HKOs all Gligar (bar yache/berry juice) that try to switch in on you. I don't have much knowledge of Little Cup in general so this might be bad but, on paper on it looks pretty good.

Last edited:

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm thinking about giving this thing a try.

Cranidos @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 60 HP / 236 Atk / 212 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Head Smash
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch

Cranidos has base 125 Attack, which is pretty much like a nuke in little cup. It has just enough speed to outspeed Sneasel, and even Fire Punch actually nabs a OHKO on it! Mold Breaker is also rad, because it blasts past Sturdy Mangemite. The Rock-typing also means it resists Flying, which sounds like a great help against the likely omnipresent Fletchling!

I'm mainly interested in Cranidos because I think that attack, Rock STAB, and Mold Breaker gives it serious potential as a Choice Scarf revenge killer.

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I'm thinking about giving this thing a try.

Cranidos @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 60 HP / 236 Atk / 212 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Head Smash
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch

Cranidos has base 125 Attack, which is pretty much like a nuke in little cup. It has just enough speed to outspeed Sneasel, and even Fire Punch actually nabs a OHKO on it! Mold Breaker is also rad, because it blasts past Sturdy Mangemite. The Rock-typing also means it resists Flying, which sounds like a great help against the likely omnipresent Fletchling!

I'm mainly interested in Cranidos because I think that attack, Rock STAB, and Mold Breaker gives it serious potential as a Choice Scarf revenge killer.
Hmm, I've been using Drilbur as my Choice Scarfer to deal with Magnemite and a few other things, but this seems much better, in that it hits harder, isn't weak to Sneasel Ice Shard and actually beats Fletchling. So I guess Drilbur is pretty outclassed unless you're running Sand Rush / need the Electric immunity for Electric-types not named Chinchou.

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Tangela sun seems scarier than Scyther and Swirlix could ever dream. Vulpix is pretty decent in a metagame without Eviolite because it gets sun-boosted Fire Blasts, so it's not even like you're losing anything by running it. Tangela outspeeds the entire un-Scarf metagame and can even run Timid if it wants to outrun +2 Swirlix in the sun. Solar Beam smacks shit, HP Fire smacks shit, Ancient Power smacks Scyther and Fire-types. I probably won't play this because I don't have the time to breed everything I'd want to use, but if I was playing, I'd definitely be using Tangela sun with Scarf Scyther (which almost definitely outruns +2 Modest Tangela and +2 Swirlix, but I'm not positive).

sam-testings

What a beautiful face, I have found in this place
vulpix, tangela, swirlix best team. tangela is scary as hell. and swirlix.... just yeah. Set up with vulpix and get sun up, sweep with tangela and kill stragglers with swirlix best plan 10/10

I think anyone who says this isn't a scyther/sneasel fest is kidding themselves. I don't see myself losing witha LO Fake Out BP med, Scyther, and Sneasel team (rounded with some good sturdy/sash users). It's cool that sturdyjuice spam isn't allowed but it's still just like fast ubers shitstorm imo. Just spam fast + strong pkmns or sturdy / particular counters.

Obviously there's room for innovation so that's cool though.

Also does PickPocket work with like Fake Out? Because Sneasel because that much cooler if it can basically let you double up on a good item.

Last edited:

Theorymon

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
PSA: As it turns out, Pokémon Showdown got one movepool related thing really wrong!

Endure is NOT an ORAS tutor move. Because of this, most Pokémon don't actually learn Endure. This could effect our perception of the metagame!

sam-testings

What a beautiful face, I have found in this place
ferroseed @ red card
Evs: ill figure them out later probably defensive heavy
ability: iron barbs

-stealth rock
-knock off
-bullet seed
-filler move?

forces out scythed with red card if i remember how red card works correctly, and you get rocks up to weaken sneasel and scyther. It also lives and does extra damage from whatever they throw at them both.

Because of this, I got a question to you LC people: Do you think there are any dangerous Focus Sash Pokemon that would benefit from 3v3? Focus Sash is a LOT more common in 3v3. I mean, in battle spot singles, you even see it on stuff like Landorus-T, because clutch survivals are a LOT more dangerous in 3v3 compared to 6v6. Do you think any Little Cup Pokemon could fit that bill?
The first thing that came to mind was Gligar for me, personally. I am sure Focus Sash on even Scyther could be cool for clutch survivals from Fletchling Acrobatics or Sneasel Ice Shards. Sash Diglett could be cool for trapping crap early game, though, admittedly, it is still quite weak. Sashbra is the popular user and has been since Magic Guard has been a thing. Misdreavus has Nasty Plot and is quite fast.

Also, another factor I'm interested in: In the 3v3 metagames I've played, I've found that Pokemon who have more "general multipurposeness" work better than Pokemon who "do a few jobs really well . An example: Porygon2, Suicune, and Cresselia aren't big in OU, but they are god damn superstars in Battle Spot, enough so that Mega Salamence usage actually CRATERED! Do you guys think Little Cup 3v3 could have something like that? It doesn't need to be a defensive threat either, just something that looks like it'd be a lot more special in 3v3 than 6v6 because they're more "general".
The notorious "general multipurposeness" mons that have been in LC are Gligar (has such a wide movepool that it can do basically anything, while also having incredible stats) [also was the first thing that came to mind in this field...], Murkrow (can be an annoyer, Hazer, all-out attacker...), Tangela (bulky af while having sweep potential in sun), Yanma (Hypnosis + U-turn, Speed Boost is always fun), Mienfoo (obviously). Maybe Skrelp could see some use in this field, as it is powerful and bulky and has a nice movepool to a certain extent. Misdreavus is pretty cool.

Here's a set dump by items. I have barely tested any of these. I am most pleased by Vullaby, Corphish, Venonat, Hippopotas, and Kabuto in terms of good unique picks.

Growlithe @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 76 HP / 196 Atk / 36 SpD / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Wild Charge
- Close Combat
- Thrash

Vullaby (F) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 236 Atk / 76 Def / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Aerial Ace

Cranidos @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 236 Atk / 36 Def / 212 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Head Smash
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- Superpower

Houndour @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 36 Def / 196 SpA / 236 Spe
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Flamethrower
- Dark Pulse
- Destiny Bond

Vulpix @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Drought
EVs: 52 HP / 196 SpA / 236 Spe
Modest Nature
- Overheat
- Fire Blast
- Flamethrower
- Sleep Talk

Scyther @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Technician
EVs: 196 Atk / 36 Def / 36 SpD / 236 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Aerial Ace
- Quick Attack

Ekans @ Choice Band
EVs: 196 Atk / 4 Def / 4 SpD / 236 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Poison Jab / Gunk Shot
- Sucker Punch
- Earthquake
- Switcheroo

Corphish @ Choice Band
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 196 Atk / 76 Def / 236 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall / Crabhammer
- Aqua Jet
- Superpower
- Switcheroo

Snover @ Focus Sash
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 196 HP / 184 SpA / 120 Spe
Modest Nature
- Blizzard
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Protect

Amaura @ Focus Sash
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 60 HP / 220 SpA / 228 Spe
Modest Nature
- Blizzard
- Ancient Power
- Earth Power
- Protect

Chimchar @ Focus Sash
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 84 HP / 4 Def / 216 SpA / 4 SpD / 188 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fake Out
- Overheat
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Vacuum Wave

Diglett @ Focus Sash
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 36 HP / 236 Atk / 236 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Stealth Rock
- Protect

Abra @ Focus Sash
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 236 SpA / 76 SpD / 196 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Dazzling Gleam
- Thunder Wave
- Protect

Cottonee @ Coba Berry / Yache Berry
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 196 HP / 196 Def / 36 SpD / 68 Spe
Bold Nature
- Tailwind
- Memento
- Dazzling Gleam
- Encore

Meditite @ Coba Berry
Ability: Pure Power
EVs: 196 HP / 196 Atk / 76 Def / 36 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Bullet Punch
- Drain Punch
- Psycho Cut

Hippopotas @ Yache Berry
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 132 HP / 180 Atk / 132 Def / 20 SpD / 20 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Yawn
- Rock Slide
- Slack Off

Venonat @ Coba Berry
Ability: Compound Eyes
EVs: 196 HP / 196 Def / 36 SpA / 76 SpD
Bold Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Stun Spore
- Signal Beam
- Swagger

Tangela @ Coba Berry
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 76 HP / 196 SpA / 196 Spe
Timid Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Giga Drain
- Ancient Power
- Leaf Storm

Kabuto @ Chople Berry
Ability: Weak Armor
EVs: 36 HP / 196 Atk / 36 Def / 236 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Waterfall
- Rock Slide
- Aqua Jet

Croagunk @ Coba Berry
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 132 HP / 116 Def / 188 SpA / 36 SpD / 36 Spe
Modest Nature
- Rock Tomb
- Vacuum Wave
- Sludge Wave
- Shadow Ball

Swirlix @ Berry Juice
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 20 HP / 68 Def / 204 SpA / 204 Spe
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Dazzling Gleam
- Flamethrower
- Draining Kiss

Trubbish @ Berry Juice
Ability: Sticky Hold
EVs: 116 HP / 100 Def / 36 SpA / 20 SpD / 236 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Rock Blast
- Drain Punch
- Recycle

Snubbull @ Berry Juice
EVs: 196 HP / 36 Atk / 196 Def / 36 SpD / 36 Spe
Careful Nature
- Play Rough
- Earthquake
- Thief
- Thunder Wave

Magnemite @ Berry Juice
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 36 Def / 236 SpA / 236 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Volt Switch
- Recycle

Sneasel @ Life Orb
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 236 Atk / 236 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out / Brick Break
- Knock Off
- Ice Punch
- Ice Shard

Carvanha @ Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 196 Atk / 36 Def / 36 SpD / 236 Spe
Adamant Nature
IVs: 0 HP
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Aqua Jet
- Protect

Fletchling
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 76 HP / 196 Atk / 16 Def / 180 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Acrobatics
- Flame Charge
- Tailwind
- Swords Dance

Tirtouga @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 84 HP / 212 Atk / 12 Def / 180 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Shell Smash
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Aqua Jet

Last edited:

Anthiese

formerly Jac
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Okay i've got something really fucking silly to propose, you dont have to take it seriously but I, along with a few others have been looking for something that can switch into Sneasel without being fucked by it.

Who can resist Sneasel's particular STAB combo? Makuhita.

Well what if they bring Scyther or Swirlix in to sap the hit and set up on you?

Well I have contingencies.

Tubba Blubba (Makuhita) @ Coba Berry
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 180 HP / 116 Atk / 196 Def
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Brick Break
- Heavy Slam
- Rock Slide

OKAY so here's the skinny.

180 HP + 196 Def gives AS MUCH BULK AS FUCKING POSSIBLE on the physical side.

Bullet Punch is prio and is needed to get a much needed speedy helping hit on anyone it needs to hit.

Brick Break is STAB and i've opted for this since Sneasel is shattered by Fighting attacks. Gets Cross Chop and Close Combat and Super Power all of which have high BP but we need a reliable hit not something flashy and powerful.

Heavy Slam is our special Swirlix switchin slayer. It's got a chance to OHKO (6.3% to be exact, definite after SR but who uses SR ????)

Rock Slide is to smash Scyther. It OHKOs the poor thing and well, AA thankfully 2HKOs us so we can most of the time score the KO on it.

Coba Berry is to do the one thing that makes sense. TAnk a fucking hit, specifically Aerial Ace from Tech Scyther. If anything it allows us to survive and come back with a KO. But if they are holding something that boosts that move's power or the attacking power of the move, well rip.

CGCM Swirlix (iunno the actual EVs so i opted with 20 HP / 68 Def to hit 23 HP + 14 Def which is what i run also fuck swirlix bc it's literally fast af and i dont wanna invest in speed)

116+ Atk Makuhita Heavy Slam (120 BP) vs. 20 HP / 68 Def Swirlix: 20-24 (86.9 - 104.3%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
116+ Atk Makuhita Heavy Slam (120 BP) vs. +3 20 HP / 68 Def Swirlix: 10-12 (43.4 - 52.1%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO (rifuckingp)

204 SpA Swirlix (No Move) vs. 180 HP / 0 SpD Makuhita: 18-24 (69.2 - 92.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

LO Sneasel (obvi BB OKHOs but sneas aint doin much back lel)

236 Atk Life Orb Sneasel Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 180 HP / 196 Def Makuhita: 10-13 (38.4 - 50%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO
236 Atk Life Orb Sneasel Icicle Crash vs. 180 HP / 196 Def Thick Fat Makuhita: 9-13 (34.6 - 50%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO
236 Atk Life Orb Sneasel Ice Shard vs. 180 HP / 196 Def Thick Fat Makuhita: 5-8 (19.2 - 30.7%) -- 2.2% chance to 4HKO
236 Atk Life Orb Sneasel Brick Break vs. 180 HP / 196 Def Makuhita: 12-14 (46.1 - 53.8%) -- 43.8% chance to 2HKO

Scyther (wtf does this thing hold? lets say i want itemless so i can ohko back all the time kek)

196 Atk Technician Scyther Aerial Ace vs. 180 HP / 196 Def Coba Berry Makuhita: 16-21 (61.5 - 80.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
196 Atk Life Orb Technician Scyther Aerial Ace vs. 180 HP / 196 Def Coba Berry Makuhita: 21-27 (80.7 - 103.8%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
196 Atk Choice Band Technician Scyther Aerial Ace vs. 180 HP / 196 Def Coba Berry Makuhita: 25-30 (96.1 - 115.3%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO

116+ Atk Makuhita Rock Slide vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Scyther: 24-32 (104.3 - 139.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

s/o to mad0ka and Cheir for the assistance

Honestly, Makuhita isn't silly. IMO, it's one of the most viable Fighting-types. There's Meditite, obviously, and then everything is niche--Makuhita (Coba), Intimidate Scraggy (Coba), Mienfoo (Scarf), Riolu, Croagunk. Fighting-types aren't like, actually that great which somehow puts Makuhita up there with them. Good set!

IMO, Amaura is a really great mon in this meta, being able to break sashes and spam a really high powered, perfect accuracy move in bluzzard can hit alot of mons for reliable damage. Scyther gets hit by an A-Power or Blizzard, Sneasel doesn't like A-Power, and it can stop sun if you run 14 speed. The only major things that want to switch in to the combination of Blizzard, Ancientpower, and Earth Power are Makuhita and Meditite, and Tite still doesn't want to switch into a blizzard, making it a very effective mon.

I'm currently using Thunder Wave instead of Ancient Power since that fails to OHKO Sneasel and I would rather spam Blizzard anyways. My problem with Amaura is the difficulty I'm having finishing my team with it--it's a bit of an awkward Pokemon. What are you using it with?

I'm currently using Thunder Wave instead of Ancient Power since that fails to OHKO Sneasel and I would rather spam Blizzard anyways. My problem with Amaura is the difficulty I'm having finishing my team with it--it's a bit of an awkward Pokemon. What are you using it with?
Mixed Fletchling (with Overheat) can take out much if what can switch into Amaura while Amaura can switch into most of what Fletchling can't go into (except Bulky fires and Sneasel. Makuhita and Timburr also works well as it can hit The steels and rocks that like to switch in while beating sneasel.

Anthiese

formerly Jac
I would love to tell everyone who is saying SR aint shit, it's still very powerful.

Breaking Sashes and Sturdy mons is a VERY big deal. It's so antimeta right now, makes a lot of KOs possible.

Tbh I think Swagplay will be the more commonly used strat here. Sneasel/ swirlix has to deal with Fletch, whereas BJ Prankster Murkrow in theory bests virtually all mons. Swirlix? Destroyed unless it's Lum CGCM (Have fun with Magnemite).

Theorymon

Well, I could see Cranidos running around because its pretty powerful and fast enough to outspeed Sneasel with a Choice Scarf... but yeah, I'm not expecting Mold Breaker Pokémon to be THAT common.

BTW, what do you guys think are the best Stealth Rockers at the moment? After final exams, I plan on breeding a bunch of stuff + doing practice battles, and I'm not quite used to the Stealth Rockers of Little Cup.

Diglett's a decent Stealth Rock user thanks to being able to trap what it leads off against and high speed, and it can also use Memento to help stuff like Swirlix set up. Gligar's nice because it's got good bulk, a nice speed tier, and powerful attacks to use. Unfortunately for Gligar, it is absolutely destroyed by Sneasel. I'd say the best Stealth Rock user rn is probably Onix, because sturdy is an amazing ability to have, allowing it to get rocks up guaranteed. Rock typing is also really good for it, allowing it to check Scyther and Sneasel. It can also phase Swirlix with Roar so that's cool. The only issue with using Onix is that it takes up your Berry Juice so you can't use it on Magnemite.

Anthiese

formerly Jac
Mold Breaker breaks Sturdy without SR so RIP Magnemite / Onix.

Scarf Cran will be good in this meta only because it's an antithesis to Magnemite. Poor Mag can't even run Endure to circumvent it (cuz it's illegal)

BTW, what do you guys think are the best Stealth Rockers at the moment? After final exams, I plan on breeding a bunch of stuff + doing practice battles, and I'm not quite used to the Stealth Rockers of Little Cup.
+naturally fast (19 after jolly max)
+ EQ + Acro + KO reks
+ SD + Roost for filler moves if you want any
- Reliant on item
- Sneas slaps with Ice STAB

+ 17 is okay speed
+ Rock Blast slaps sashes and breaks subs (if someone is runnin sub)
+ HIGH DEF
- Needs BJ or else a shit

+ SR + Spikes is horrid in this meta
+ Smash is also an option
+ Rock Blast + KO for yas factor
- NEEDS BJ so badly like omg
- troubles with Swirlix bc lack of Steel / Poison

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)