CAP 21 - Part 1 - Concept Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Name: Wounded Warrior

General Description: A Pokémon that needs to take damage in order to sweep.

Justification: There are plenty of Pokémon around whose abilities activate when they get hit. Back in Gen V, a common Doubles Tactic was the Beat Up/Justified double, in which you got a fast 'mon with a pathetic Attack stat and let it use Beat Up on something like Cobalion, with its 4x resistance to Dark and an ability that basically turned that into Belly Drum with less attendant damage. However, there aren't many 'mons who can take damage to deal damage, and I'm not talking about the ever-present bulky offense or rubbishy abilities like Swarm and Torrent. What I think this CAP should do is actively encourage its trainer shoving in front of stuff and making it take some hits, which in turn allows it to sweep. It is, basically, a 'mon on the clock.

Questions To Be Answered:
- Is it possible to design a competitive Pokemon that's only competitive at a low percentage health?
- Can something like this even function in the fast-paced, power-oriented meta in OU?
- How does this interact with entry hazards, Sandstorm, and similar sources of indirect damage?
- How do you keep it alive without using VoltTurn?
- Can a Pokemon be a setup type without using boosting or defensive moves?
- How do you play around that sort of thing?
- And, rather obviously, how can taking damage be to your advantage?

Explanation: We all know about setup sweepers. They're everywhere. THEY WALK AMONG US! But what I'm sort of proposing is a different type of set-up sweeper, one that doesn't use items or abilities or boosting moves, but instead takes damage to deal damage. There are some useful combinations that do similar stuff, but again, I'd like to see what something can do when it's all about taking damage. Personally, I think this could be an interesting counter to common stallbreakers and wallbreakers, and might also be useful on offensive teams in which its ability to sweep after taking heavy damage makes it a useful lategame chap to have around. I hope this is interesting, or at the very least coherent. =]

Last edited:
I was sitting on this concept for half of a CAP Project, unable to flesh it out for submission. Now, after looking over several of the older Concept Submissions, I present to you this.

Name: When All You Have is a Hammer…

Description: There have been Pokémon created by Smogon where they were specialized for certain functions. Never before has a Pokémon be specialized to the degree where it can literally do nothing else.

Justification: Versatility is big in Pokémon, but how big is it? We find out by creating a Pokémon that has no versatility whatsoever. (Allows us to learn more of the metagame)

Questions to be answered:

• Can a Pokémon with a single, overspecialized use thrive in a tier where most Pokémon are not specialized to that degree?
  • Can a predictable Pokémon with (almost) no availability for variation with its actions still make a home for itself in OU?
  • What challenges would such a Pokémon have to overcome by themselves? What challenges should they not be able to deal with?
  • What teammates would be able to patch up the holes created by the created Pokémon’s overspecialization?
  • What specialization would such a Pokémon have to have in order to make a place for itself on a team where it is competing for a spot against Pokémon with more customization?
  • How much restriction is too much restriction?
Explanation: Over a decade ago, when Pokémon Gold and Silver hit stateside, there was one Pokémon that was considered a gimmick. It only had four moves, and it could not learn any from anywhere else. Then, a few years later, when Ruby and Sapphire came to us, it was given a pre-evolution, an ability unique (at the time) to its evolutionary line, and three moves from its pre-evolution. With that, it was banned from Nintendo hosted tournaments and was placed into the ‘Uber’ tier, along with its pre-evolution, for that generation and the next.

That Pokémon was Wobbuffet.

What made it so fearful that this unassuming Pokémon was banned for two generations? It was designed, with its base stats, its limited movepool, and its ability, to do one thing, and one thing only: counterattack. And that it did well.

While I do not want to see Wobbuffet 2.0, or the next sweeper, I want to see something that is restricted in some way to a single role, with no choices, even non-competitive ones, outside that role. STAB sweeper? Give it an ability that boosts power, place stats accordingly, and give it only STAB attacking moves. Defending wall? Give it a defensive ability, focus on defensive stats, and don’t give it a single attacking move (not even the common staples of Hidden Power, Frustration, or Return).

The way I would expect the project would go from here would be to identify what niche we want the Pokémon to have (variation on an attacker (like STAB only attacker), a cleric, a wall, or a specialized supporter), and then work towards that goal, not using anything that goes against the concept. The easiest way to do this would be to limit the movepool to only a dozen moves, and only half of them competitive. Of course, there would likely be other methods I am missing that we are free to go and explore.

The name of this concept comes from the phrase: ‘When all you have is a hammer… everything looks like a nail.’
The idea is unique Eternal Drifter but the CAP would not appeal to everyone. Usually versatility is preferred because people like to experiment sets, stat distribution, items, abilities. Although, Wobbuffet is a unique and cool concept, making a single specialized pokemon may only appeal to a select few who like that style of play.

Had a random idea today for an evolution today. Before I share, I'm not a 'CAP regular' by any means, and I don't know how you guys treat concept evolutions of existing pokemon, but I thought this was cool enough to share.

I thought a third evolution for Tyrogue would work nicely. Where to begin? Well, firstly, the suffixes of their names have a theme in common - popular moviestar martial artists. And as soon as I got thinking about Bruce Lee and Jackie Chan, another celebrity quickly came to mind. Chuck Norris. Apply his name to the family prefix? Hitmonchuck. It works! And, what's more, I think it sounds really cool. Not only does it work on an aesthetic level, but the verb "chuck" is pretty useful in a game centred around battling. So we have Hitmonchan the boxer, Hitmonlee the Kickboxer.. What if 'Hitmonchuck' were to wield nunchucks, being able to effectively attack from a distance? Makes a pretty cool, diverse trio of Pokemon.

Hope I explained this all well enough haha. Would love to here thoughts! :)
Unfortunately, the CAP Project is not a place for individual fan made Pokemon/ideas. As there is currently a project going on, you're welcome to contribute to that, though.

Unfortunately, the CAP Project is not a place for individual fan made Pokemon/ideas. As there is currently a project going on, you're welcome to contribute to that, though.
Gladly, sorry about the inappropriate post! Could you point me in the right direction? I can't seem to find the project on the forum homepage.

Aegislash v0.5?

Name: Decreeper

General Description: Limits the power creep/team matchup issues commonly found in the current OU metagame.

Justification: Lately many OU players have felt that the metagame has become rather stale due to the vast amount of threats in the tier, as it is nearly impossible to prepare for all of them in just six Pokemon. This CAP would be able to check many threats without becoming overcentralizing itself, easing the teambuilding process and overall making OU a healthier, more fun metagame to play in.

• Can one Pokemon alone be effective enough to significantly alleviate pressure on teambuilding?
  • Is it possible for CAP to check a large portion of the meta and not be overcentralizing?
  • How many things can one 'mon stop before it becomes too much to handle?
  • How do you combine certain traits to fix up a weakness to X sweeper without opening up holes for Y sweeper, which would just screw up the concept?

Explanation: In XY, we got this lovely ghost-sword thing called Aegislash, the 'mon that beat half of the tier, simultaneously made teambuilding easier and harder, and single-handedly made a bunch of Pokemon near-unviable. In ORAS, we got that lovely "team matchup" issue to worry about, which made the OU council re-suspect Aegi, believing that it could have a healthy effect on the tier by blanket-checking a majority of the threats. Unfortunately, the issues with Aegi were still present; he was still super overcentralizing and could be slapped on literally any team to make it better. You could think of this CAP as a "worse Aegislash;" able to beat/pivot into many threatening Pokemon and be very splashable, but not make it so that one would need a Bisharp/to run specific coverage moves/to not run Xmon.

Name: Dichotomy

General Description: a pokemon with never-before seen typing that contradicts itself and is made to hit hard and be defensive while also supporting other members of the team

Justification: The OU metagame need more Support Switchers like Ninjask and Lopunny, and this would be just that but with the capability of being a bulky sweeper and hazard clearer as well. Essentially it will be able to be to anything you want it to be.

Questions to be answered: -How do we create a pokemon immune to hazards while also giving it support and offensive capabilities?
-how could contradicting types affect the momentum of battle?
-how could stallers be stopped using just offensive moves?
-how can a universal counter that is immune to hazards be balanced?

Explanation: This concept is for people who have a hard time finding a counter for hazards that isn't just a sacrificial pawn. This pokemon is to create a balanced way to shut down annoying pokemon like Togekiss while also being able to allow other members of the team to shine. I have found that pokemon like Ariados, Vigoroth, and Noivern are extremely underused and having a Pokemon that can allow them to have a greater presence would be beneficial to the metagame

Last edited:
Keep in mind that concepts need to be based around the OU metagame, not the CAP metagame. The main goal is to try to create an OU worthy Pokemon that can perform the role we chose.

I feel that this concept is really overpowered. It seems like you want a "Jack of all trades, master of none" that's actually really good at what it does. I feel like your idea is kinda all over the place, so you might want to narrow it down a bit.

Name: Anti-Grudge

Description: A sweeper that has qualities that allows it to beat common revenge killers.

Justification: There are a lot of sweepers in the OU metagame. However, many of them get beat out by counters and revenge killers that can then threaten the sweeper's team. With this Pokemon, players might be forced to come up with new, innovative ideas for revenge killers.

Questions to be Answered: How would this Pokemon kill common revenge killers?
Does this Pokemon's ability to kill common revenge killers make it overpowered?
What new Pokemon could this Pokemon introduce to the metagame?
Is there a way to beat all or most of all revenge killers 1v1?
Would this Pokemon be forced to invest in bulk, and thus need to be bulky, in order to kill common revenge killers?

Explanation: I feel like the biggest problem most sweepers have is priority, so this Pokemon should either be bulkier than most sweepers or have a typing that is immune to or resists most priority. This Pokemon should also have some sort of handicap in order to prevent it from becoming too powerful and overcentralizing.

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'd rather not design some sweeper that

a) can easily set up against the current metagame (if it doesn't set up then its a failed concept since you don't lure in revenge killers).

and

b) "beat all or most of all revenge killers 1v1"

because that results in:

c) Broken as fuck sweeper. If it doesn't lure in revenge killers then it fails its concept, which means that by extension it must wallbreak effectively. On the other hand if it actually beats all revenge killers AND wallbreaks AND sets up easily then its pretty much Cawmodore, which we already did.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Name: Passive Hazard Protection

General Description: Prevents the removal of entry hazards from the opponent's side of the field without needing to be active.

Justification: The aim of this Pokemon is to allow the protection of hazards which you have laid without the need to come in and spinblock/get a boost from Defog (through Defiant, Competitive or Contrary). This would be a very important tool for teams which rely on hazards being retained - such as spikes stacking and Sticky Web teams - and it would fill a niche on said teams as it would act as a way of retaining your hazards for a large portion of the match.

• How much of an effect will this have on the metagame?
  • Is it a positive or negative effect? Will hazard-heavy strategies become broken?
  • When is it best to opt to carry a Defog/Rapid Spin user in the slot that this would otherwise take up?
  • How will this affect the viability of suicide leads such as Custap Forretress/Skarmory?
Explanation: Saying this here because it isn't taken into consideration officially. I would expect this Pokemon to have low stats to reflect the passive nature of the team-slot it uses. Additionally, this would most likely be through an ability which either prevents the use of Rapid Spin/Defog as long as it hasn't fainted or results in the secondary effects of moves which remove entry hazards to be disabled as long as this Pokémon has not fainted. IDK what else there is to really say tbh as I can't really think of anything else XD

ginganinja

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Prevents the removal of entry hazards from the opponent's side of the field without needing to be active.
O.k so you want to create a pokemon with a custom ability that passively shuts down all attempts to remove hazards. You want this pokemon to do all of this without even switching in...and you don't think such a CAP would be broken -__-

Breaking this down you are creating something that has 0 counterplay to handle. As long as its on your team, your hazards stay up, period. It means your opponent is having to switch through Stealth Rock, and three layers of spikes every time he switches a pokemon around, and he has 0 chance to remove it. This would be the closest thing OU has ever seen to a "win button" since Mega Salamence. This doesn't have a snowball's chance of happening.

Valmanway

My jimmies remain unrustled
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Name: Underdog Backup

Description: A CAP that acts as an excellent teammate for low ranking Pokemon in OU

Justification: There are many Pokemon that don't quite match up to some of the titans of OU like Mega Metagross, Keldeo, and Clefable, and yet have some unique and often overlooked qualities, such as Cobalion, Cofagrigus, and Haxorus. These Pokemon and many more have interesting qualities that most of the top tier threats lack, yet these guys are rotting in the cellar below the B-Ranks, on the grounds that either the Pokemon in question doesn't have enough to leave as much of an impact as higher ranking threats or is outclassed by another Pokemon. But what is really the factor that keeps them in the cellar? Is it a lack of stats? Movepool? Ability? What if what they're truly lacking is a proper partner in crime? Think about it. Bisharp used to be S-Rank because Deoxys-D was its butt buddy before it got banned, Landorus-T makes VolTurn annoying as hell thanks to Rotom-W, and so forth. These guys have the right support backing them up, and is part of why they're so powerful in the current metagame. But if the lower tier threats got a real teammate that covered their flaws and empowered their strengths, then who's to say that these underdogs can't become top dogs?

-Are there Pokemon that are only powerful because of a teammate or teammates?
-How much support can a single Pokemon provide?
-How much support does a single Pokemon or core need before it can become a threat?
-Would this CAP effect top tier threats positively or negatively? Would it be a mixed bag?
-How many Pokemon would this CAP be able to support? Would it only specialize in supporting one particular Pokemon? A particular core? A particular playstyle?
-Would these low ranking Pokemon go up in viability? How big of a rise would this be? Subtle? Moderate? Drastic?

Explanation:
What I personally like about this CAP, if I could toot my own horn for a minute here, is the number of potential routes we can take. There are plenty of Pokemon in the lower tiers to find a partner for, so there are a whole lot of ways to make this CAP. There are walls like Cresselia ad Porygon2, tanks like Rhyperior and Mega Aggron, sweepers like Mega Pidgeot and Mega Absol, supporters like Alomomola and Whimsicott, and so forth, so we have a lot of options to choose from. We could try to make a supporter for sweepers and tanks, a sweeper to improve another sweeper's power, a wall to make a solid core... really, the potential is overflowing in my opinion.

ginganinja

A CAP that acts as an excellent teammate for low ranking Pokemon in OU
Yea, we tried this several times before, so I'll just break down quickly WHY this isn't a good idea.

1) Firstly, the TL's have historically proven that they are unable to select useable low ranking pokemon, for instance, Lucario was selected as a Perfect Mate if I recall correctly, which didn't actually turn out that well because Lucario was (and is) a shit pokemon in the metagame. This is, however, merely a byproduct of the real reason why this concept doesn't work because...

2) ...if a pokemon is underused in the OU metagame, most of the time its because said pokemon is shit. Sure, sometimes its just a metagame thing, which might not be healthy for such and such a pokemon, but more often its because a certain pokemon is just bad. You can partner a CAP with an underused mon if you want, but no-one will bother actually USING the underused mon, and will instead partner it with something better. Alternatively, if the CAP doesn't actually work with any other pokemon, then its far too niche enough to actually get used in the first place. Furthermore, CAP itself has really shown an inability to actually make sure the partner pokemon is the best fit for its CAP, after many bites at the apple, so I'm reluctant to try for like, the 4th(?) time when CAP failed all those times before.

Basically, the concept has been done before, and with past experience to go by, its not a concept CAP itself can actually achieve ergo, I don't really support it.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
O.k so you want to create a pokemon with a custom ability that passively shuts down all attempts to remove hazards. You want this pokemon to do all of this without even switching in...and you don't think such a CAP would be broken -__-

Breaking this down you are creating something that has 0 counterplay to handle. As long as its on your team, your hazards stay up, period. It means your opponent is having to switch through Stealth Rock, and three layers of spikes every time he switches a pokemon around, and he has 0 chance to remove it. This would be the closest thing OU has ever seen to a "win button" since Mega Salamence. This doesn't have a snowball's chance of happening.
Maybe if it was an ability which acted as a "perfect spinblock" when they are on the field or something, preventing the use of hazard removal moves as long as it is active. This would make it far less overpowered, and it would mean that there is a method of hazard protection which would need skill in the user while ensuring that spikes etc. stay on the field (as, while spinblockers do this, Defiant users don't change the fact that the hazards are gone). It'd almost be like a 'defog block' in a similar way as a spinblocker blocks Rapid Spin, but instead it works for all hazard-removal moves. That sounds more balanced. Thoughts?

Maybe if it was an ability which acted as a "perfect spinblock" when they are on the field or something, preventing the use of hazard removal moves as long as it is active. This would make it far less overpowered, and it would mean that there is a method of hazard protection which would need skill in the user while ensuring that spikes etc. stay on the field (as, while spinblockers do this, Defiant users don't change the fact that the hazards are gone). It'd almost be like a 'defog block' in a similar way as a spinblocker blocks Rapid Spin, but instead it works for all hazard-removal moves. That sounds more balanced. Thoughts?
You know that custom abilities are disallowed, right? Ninja'd
Honestly the only way I can envision this working (without Defiant/Competetive/Contrary) is building a CAP with such immense offensive presence that it discourages common defoggers/spinners from switching in even with CAP off the field, which just sounds kinda unhealthy.

Guys. We don't do custom abilities. End of story. Remember?
You know that custom abilities are disallowed, right? Ninja'd
Honestly the only way I can envision this working (without Defiant/Competetive/Contrary) is building a CAP with such immense offensive presence that it discourages common defoggers/spinners from switching in even with CAP off the field, which just sounds kinda unhealthy.
Although this isn't my idea, perhaps there could be a move, similar to how Wonder Room and Trick Room work, where hazards cannot be used for 5 turns or so? This would eliminate the need for a custom ability and not make the strategy too broken due to the -7 priority.

Mowtom

I'm truly still meta, enjoy this acronym!
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
Although this isn't my idea, perhaps there could be a move, similar to how Wonder Room and Trick Room work, where hazards cannot be used for 5 turns or so? This would eliminate the need for a custom ability and not make the strategy too broken due to the -7 priority.
We also don't do custom moves.

For a hazard removal preventer, it could be done without a special ability or move.

It could be a Ghost/Fighting type, so Rapid Spin can't be used, with a high speed stat (at least 130) and a low but not too low (somewhere around 70 or 80, maybe a little higher or lower) Attack and Special Attack and the abilities Defiant or Competitive and a very wide movepool for both physical and special moves (including Aura Sphere, Shadow Ball, Close Combat, and Shadow Punch). This way, the opponent's team will be greatly harmed if they use Defog as this pokemon switches in, and Rapid Spin will fail if used against it.

Of course, it wouldn't have to be made this way, I was simply trying to show that it can be done without custom abilities or moves.

Name: OU Hail Setter

General Description: This Pokemon would be capable of making hail a much more viable strategy in OU by being able to check the strategy's common threats.

Justification: In ORAS OU, metagame defining Pokemon like Heatran, Talonflame and Mega Scizor mean that Hail strategys are a lot less viable due to the introduction of a lot more defining threats. The only non-NFE Pokemon capable of even setting up with Snow Warning are Aurorus and Abomasnow, neither of which have cemented a niche in the current metagame due to S and A rank pretty much defining all the checks to the strategy. However, in gen 5 OU, the lack of such strong checks to both the setters and the sweepers of Hail teams like the aforementioned Talonflame did not exist, which made it slightly easier to abuse, although there weren't any hardcore metagame-defining Pokemon to abuse it. I feel that this concept will be able to reliably set up Hail and then back teams with a strong offensive presence and decent typing to deal with the Pokemon that truly counter the strategy. In the end, this concept will probably be rather physically bulky to deal with the current metagame defining and Hail breaking Pokemon like Mega Scizor, Talonflame, etc.

Questions to be answered:
  • How will the ORAS OU metagame develop with the introduction of another viable weather strategy?
  • What threats will actually be able to beat this new Hail Setter, if it is designed to stop issues like Talonflame?
  • Even with Icy Rock, is Hail going to be a viable strategy?
  • How do 100% accurate Blizzards affect the metagame? Which Pokemon have to be more wary?
  • How will Snow Cloak abusers like Glaceon affect the metagame with a 20% chance to avoid moves?
  • What Pokemon will be able to abuse the Hail weather to its best potential in the ORAS metagame?
  • How will walls handle the introduction of a new weather hazard? Will certain wall Pokemon be more common than others on Hail teams to ignore the HP loss from Hail?
  • Will this Pokemon be capable of using Freeze-Dry well? If so, what impact will this have on the rise of the bulky water types of the metagame?
  • What coverage will Hail abusers tend to run to deal with their threats?
  • How will the metagame develop with better checks to Landorus(-T), Lati@S, etc?
  • What core will work well on a Hail team?
Explanation: If this Pokemon is going to be designed to help Hail teams deal with certain checks like Heatran better, the typing will be key to consider - something resisting Fire would be nice, although we would have to exclude Rock type due to Flash Cannon being common - discussion about typing can come later though. From a base stat perspective, I feel that this mon will primarily need to be extremely physically bulky to deal with the current threats, although I also think that it will end up being specially oriented in terms of offense to abuse 100% accurate Blizzards. I do doubt that this Pokemon will be too overcentralising due to the sheer amount of checks and counters to the Hail strategy in OU, but I personally feel that the strategy could be more prominent if this concept is made.

I really, really doubt Hail can be made to work in OU, as the entire strategy needs a hell of a lot of work to be even viable, in the face of Rain, Sand, and even Sun, which have an immense amount of variety.

Here are the problems Hail has:

- There are few setters, with your options being Abomasnow and Aurorus, both of which are bad in OU on their own.
- Only Ice types and Blizzard users benefit from it, though mostly just Ice types. Hail is way too focused on Ice types to provide support to an entire team.
- Ice is an awful defensive typing, so you're basically forced to run team members that do not benefit from Hail just to check the metagame's top threats.
- Snow Cloak, as far as I know, is banned because evasion abilities.
- Its benefits are so few. You have perfectly accurate blizzards, Ice Body healing, and residual damage to everything not Ice type. This pales in comparison to the immense amount of benefits that every other weather has.

I don't think this will work. To fix all of these problems, this Pokemon would have to be incredibly powerful, check all of Hail's gigantic list of checks, and then support an archetype on its own.

ginganinja

Rejecting Hail.

Weather got a nerf this generation, and I really don't see picking the weakest weather out of them all would actually result in a positive concept, when even the strongest weathers receive limited use.

Name: Saving Grace

General Description: This Pokemon has either mediocre stats, movepool, or both, but is saved by an amazing ability.

Justification: Shedinja is a great idea with poor execution. It was one of gamefreak's first attempts at this concept. Their only successful creations that matches these criteria that I can think of are Clefable, Sableye, Serperior, and Talonflame. As there are only four successful examples of this type of pokemon, this concept has a lot to teach us about the relationship between typing, ability, stats, and movepool.

Questions to be Answered:
  • How do typing, ability, stats, and movepool interact to create a powerful, but not overpowered pokemon?
  • What effect will the addition of a this pokemon have on the meta, seeing as how three of the examples are either metagame defining now, or were previously?
  • Which route will it be best to take with this concept, poor ability, or mediocre everything else?
Explanation: As much as I would like pokemon such as Shedinja to be usable, it simply has terrible flaws that are nearly impossible to make up for. With this concept, we would learn why gamefreak failed with Shedinja, and how they succeeded with Sableye, Talonflame, Serperior, and Clefable.

Edit: Cleaned up the post and removed the confusing second option, added serperior as an example.

Last edited:
Their only successful creations that matches these criteria that I can think of are Clefable, Sableye, and Talonflame.
I can think of plenty more if you need. Starmie, Mew, Keldeo, and Zapdos have insanely useful bodies with insanely awful abilities. Magnezone, Bisharp, and Serperior have insanely useless bodies with insanely useful abilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)