Worst Pokemon Sprites?

Really, is that the R/B/G sprite for Moltres? And here I thought that some sadistic hooligan set a Fearow on fire. I don't think there is a better way to both piss off and scare off a Fearow at the same time, if such a thing were possible.

jk
If you think that's bad there is green mew... Man the nightmares.

So for my 1k, I have some more shitty sprites to complain about.

International RB Ponyta and Rapidash. Ug. Ly. Ponyta's is worse, it looks like a... well, I'm not really sure.

Kabuto, same games. Just the top, it would seem.

OMG BOUNCY! (And does it bother anyone else that the ball on Azurill's tail is the same size as its body?

Gen 3 Latias is kinda at a weird angle.

Yellow Clefable. Looks kinda like a creepy friend barging in on your conversation.

Keeping it in the family, Gen 3 Cleffa is oddly tiny.

Wailord's Gen 3 and 4 backsprites, respectively. Yes, that's Wailord.

Nidoking from Silver. It seems to say, "OH MY GOD WHAT HAPPENED HERE?"

Nidoqueen from Yellow raises the roof.

Gen 4 Regice looks like it's trying to fly. Trust me, Regice, you don't want to be a Flying type.

Scyther's Gen 1 backsprite. Dear God.

Caught a Girafarig in Ruby's Safari Zone. Wanted to test it out. Saw this. Back into the box it went.

Croconaw's sprite coloring had issues in Gen 2. This one, which is from Silver, gets bonus points for how goofy it looks. Crystal fixed the blue part, but it wasn't until RS that the entire coloration matched the official artwork.

Sandshrew from DPP has this funny jumpy animation.

And last but not least, GF makes Magikarp look like the shitty fish it is. Painfully so.

Edit: Yes, I know models aren't sprites. But they serve the same purpose.

Last edited:

Da Pizza Man

Pizza Time
is a Pre-Contributor
So for my 1k, I have some more shitty sprites to complain about.

OMG BOUNCY! (And does it bother anyone else that the ball on Azurill's tail is the same size as its body?

And last but not least, GF makes Magikarp look like the shitty fish it is. Painfully so.
These are 3d models, not sprites, you dummy

But here is a really bad one, Red/Green Wigglytuff

Funny how everyone agrees that Wigglytuff is horrid. I guess because we all know that Wigglytuff is just scary, no matter how cute it APPEARS. SSB4, you should of made Wigglytuff be Jigglypuff's final smash. Scare all the fighters to bits.

Want to see something scary back from Gen 1 again?
HAIRY GENGAR OF DEATH! And that is from RG, lucky RB players I must say. They get this guy who is (slighty) less creepy.

So in Gen 3, most backsprites (aside from gen 3 mon ofc) were ripped directly from Gen 2 and just given different colourations and sometimes a slight edit.
Here's Alakazam's Gen 2 backsprite.

Fucking horrible. Of course, they re-used it for RS.

Sigh.
Now, for FRLG a few Pokémon backsprites were redone, such as the starters. Today I was pleasantly surprised to find Alakazam had a complete overhaul.

See? Now there's a good sprite. It works, it's nice to look at, doesn't look horrifically stupid.

So why did they re-use the RS sprite for it in Emerald

I dunno, Green Pysduck I think looks kind of cute. But... Green Golduck.
It's like it was sneaking up on you, and was caught. You can tell it's surprised, look and how that tail is sticking right up. It's scared that you found it and that it will be caught.
It resents you for catching it.
You should check out the rest of the sprites from Green. Idk, I think they're extremely horrible.

Found lots of funny ones when looking through Bulbapedia.
Gold Poliwag's eyes look so funny here.
RB's Politoed is worse.... THE EYES!
RG's Poliwrath look's a little off.
RG Abra, do I need to say more?
DP Machop REALLY likes armpit noises.
Flexed to hard.
Crystal's is actually really good... except for the animation.

Watch his hair flowwww in the winnnnddd!

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess it is cute, I just think it's funny how it closes it's eyes when the wind goes through it's mane. Still, animations can be worse...

IM LOOKING AT YOU CRYSTAL MACHOKE!

Why must they ruin my favorite? ;~; It really didn't get any good sprites up to DPP.

Archive of Dragonair Sprites
Red Blue

Yellow
Red Green
Gold
Silver
Crystal
Ruby Sapphire Emerald
FireRed LeafGreen
Diamond Pearl Platinum
(My favorite sprite of Dragonair besides the XY/ORAS model.)
HeartGold SoulSilver
Black White Black2 White2
X Y ORAS

Why must they ruin my favorite? ;~; It really didn't get any good sprites up to DPP.

Archive of Dragonair Sprites
Red Blue

Yellow
Red Green
Gold
Silver
Crystal
Ruby Sapphire Emerald
FireRed LeafGreen
Diamond Pearl Platinum
(My favorite sprite of Dragonair besides the XY/ORAS model.)
HeartGold SoulSilver
Black White Black2 White2
X Y ORAS
I'm not entirely sure what you mean by no good sprites; aside from of course the universally bad RG spritework all of these seem decent at worst.

I don't much like Gardevoir's sprite from gen 3. It looks like a sheet attached to a green balloon.

Also, in both the front and back sprite, there's an arm missing.
Dumb joke in the hide.

h POKe is also pretty bad.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by no good sprites; aside from of course the universally bad RG spritework all of these seem decent at worst.
Well, I just think some of them look off up to maybe Ruby and Sapphire. The head shape looks odd in nearly all of them, even BWB2W2, and for some reason in Gold, Silver, and Crystal it was all twisted around.

There's just something so out of place about this sprite to me, especially among the other GSC ones. It sort of looks like some cheap little picture stuck on a nursery wall; just put the words "Sunny the Sunflower" under it and you're done.
I wonder who that looks like... xD
Don't tell me you don't see the resemblance. It's allllll in the face lines.

Here is one not trying to eat your face! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know, I think Moltres has a pretty bad Red/Blue sprite. Yellow too.
Red
Yellow
And yet, for Yellow they use the same back-sprite for Moltres from RBG.

On the subject of bad Moltres sprites, what about bad shinies? Becuase the Silver shiny sprite makes it look like someone plucked all of Moltres's feathers off....
O_O yeah, the red one makes it look like it is molting or something lol :3

Xen

is a Community Leaderis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Wi-Fi Leader
So I've been playing through Platinum lately, and came across this:

That color palette is so off, I actually thought I encountered a shiny Gligar there for a second, since I wasn't paying attention to the encounter animation (and I had the sound off). I caught it with a smile on my face, only to be disappointed when I didn't see the star symbol in the summary screen....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)