ORAS OU Bulky Offense Mega Metagross

Hi everyone! I just recently (last month) got into competitive battling and decided post this team, since I managed to make it to 1500 points with this team, and I want suggestions.

Overview
So, I decided to make a team around mega Metagross, because he's always been one of my favorite Pokemon.

I wanted a good Mon to cover Metagross's weaknesses, since he has four crucial weaknesses of ground, fire, dark, and ghost. In this case I went with Hydreigon, keeping to the theme of offensiveness and covering Metagross's weaknesses defensively and offensively.

I wanted some sort of set up Pokemon with some bulk, because I was lacking some. CM Clefable immediately came to mind because of how good the fairy type is defensively, as well as how all of Metagross's and Hydreigon's weaknesses are either resisted by or do neutral damage to fairy. I replaced Hydreigon with Latias as recommended by Freedom..

Now that I have a good bulky offense core, I wanted to get a hazard remover, and as I still needed a good ground type, I decided on Excadrill.

Zapdos is a good option on any bulky offense team, especially this one because of its weakness to any Pokemon that run a combination of physical steel, ground, and fighting moves (Brick Break Sand Rush Excadrill? idk), so I decided to use it here.

So, I wanted a specially bulky physical attacker to round out the team, and I figured either AV Conkeldurr or bulky T-Tar would be a good addition, and I decided on the Conkeldurr, but changed it to TTar so I could check Keldeo with Sand Rush Excadrill.

Metagross @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Hammer Arm
- Grass Knot
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt

I chose Mega Metagross to build a team around because it is a fast, hard-hitting physical attacker with decent typing and a great ability. It adds much needed power and speed to a bulky offense team, with very good coverage moves and a good variety of moves, including grass knot, bullet punch, and hammer arm for coverage and priority. It is my only resistance to ice, making it the best check I have for life orb Starmie, which would otherwise heavily damage most of my team. The set I'm running is fairly standard, with grass knot as there aren't any other grass moves on my team.

Latias @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 104 HP / 152 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Healing Wish / Defog
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Roost

Hydreigon is on the team to cover Mega Metagross both with its typing and ability that make it resist or immune to all of Metagross's weaknesses, and with coverage moves that synergize well with Metagross's. Hydreigon is on the team as a scarf revenge killer, as I lack a lot of speed otherwise. I chose Earth Power on this set over Dragon Pulse because I generally won't stay in very long with Hydreigon, and to kill heatran easily.

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD
Calm Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Flamethrower

I like to have the ability to set up something on every team, and Clefable was my best option. It's mono-Fairy typing allows it to sponge hits that would ordinarily deal heavy damage to Metagross and Hydreigon. It is physically defensive in order to counter mega Lopunny and to allow it to take both physical and special hits after one or two calm minds.

Excadrill @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin
- Iron Head
- Earthquake

Excadrill is here to rapid spin anything away that the opponent has set up, namely Sticky Web and Stealth Rock (Toxic Spikes actually only helps this team with giving Conkeldurr a Guts boost and not affecting anything else.) and sweep with Sand Rush, and to hit Fairy types like Sylveon and Clefable very heavily with Iron Head. In this set, Life Orb is interchangeable with Leftovers and Air Balloon, and Rock Slide can be switched for Swords Dance.

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 64 Def / 68 SpA / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Discharge
- Roost
- Heat Wave
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Zapdos is here to cover some weaknesses and to take a few hits. Also, it provides coverage with Discharge that I otherwise wouldn't have, and has a nice chance to paralyze. I already have a spinner with Excadrill, so that frees up a slot in Zapdos's set to use Toxic/HP Ice. HP Ice is interchangeable with Heat Wave if you feel its necessary, and Zapdos itself is replacable with a more offensive Lati@s. I prefer HP Ice because it allows Zapdos to hit dragons fairly hard.

Tyranitar @ Smooth Rock
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Ice Beam
- Stealth Rock

Tyranitar is here to round out the team and to set up Stealth Rock. I wanted some special bulk and a backup attacker for Megagross. It is also a good supporter for the team in general, due to Zapdos and Hydreigon being the only Pokemon that get damaged by Sandstorm. I run Stone Edge and Ice Beam due to having Hydreigon for fire coverage, and needing some extra ice coverage.

Exportable:
=== [ou] ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ===

Latias @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Healing Wish / Defog
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Roost

Tyranitar @ Smooth Rock
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Ice Beam
- Stealth Rock

Metagross @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Hammer Arm
- Grass Knot
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt

Clefable @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD
Calm Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Flamethrower

Excadrill @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin
- Iron Head
- Earthquake

Zapdos @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 64 Def / 180 SpD / 16 Spe
Calm Nature
- Discharge
- Roost
- Heat Wave
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Well that's my first RMT (and first post), please respond with any feedback or suggestions, and I will gladly respond and make any changes necessary, as this team definitely still has room for improvement :)

Last edited:
I would go excadrill -> Starmie, as you dont have a solid Keldeo check, and it can also form some synergy w/ Conkeldurr
Or Conk -> ttar and Drill w/ Sand Rush

I would go excadrill -> Starmie, as you dont have a solid Keldeo check, and it can also form some synergy w/ Conkeldurr
Or Conk -> ttar and Drill w/ Sand Rush
I'm gonna go with the TTar, I used to run specially defensive Clefable to check Keldeo but neglected to take it into account when changing my team up a bit.

I personally think that Flash Cannon on Hydreigon is pretty good because it now has an answer to the quite relevant Fairies instead of Earth Power because it and Fire Blast have similar coverage and honestly you could have Hydreigon have Specs. Modest Specs Hydreigon does 70 to 83% to a standard Clefable which is guarantied 2HKO after Leftovers with Flash Cannon.

Last edited:
I personally think that Flash Cannon on Hydreigon is pretty good because it now has an answer to the quite relevant Fairies instead of Earth Power because it and Fire Blast have similar coverage and honestly you could have Hydreigon have Specs. Modest Specs Hydreigon does 70 to 83% to a standard Clefable which is guarantied 2HKO after Leftovers with Flash Cannon.
I'm going to keep the scarf because if sand isn't up or if Excadrill is gone, then my fastest poke would be Megagross, which speed ties with things like Gengar, which Hydreigon checks if it's faster. I am going to use flash cannon instead of earth power, though. Thanks :D

Did you clone my Hydreigon? Lol.

You might wanna give it Modest nature, because it already outspeeds a lot. Just a thought.

AD impish john

Consumed by Darkness...
Cool Sand Team but I would change Hydreigon's nature to Modest to do more damage since Hydra is already fast and outspeeds most mons. Make hydreigon have Earth Power over Flash Cannon because you have 2 steel type mons to counter fairies as flash cannon can't to much to them and also you can hit heatran better. You could make Clefable Sp def as you have Zapdos as Def bulk or you can make it a mix Tank. Hope I helped.

Clefable @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SpD
Calm Nature
- Soft-Boiled
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind
- Flamethrower

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power

Last edited:
Hello! Just some real quick things here, I recommend running mild over naive on motocross, as apparently it's better to keep more special defense, since those attackers are it's main counters. As AD impish john said, modest over timid on hydreigon for more power, as the only thing timid let's it outspeed is scarf lando t. Also, earthpower is generally better than flash cannon, as if it doesn't ohko the fairies, it Wil be immediately ohko back. Also, even if you run modest, u turn I find generally better than fire blast, as it helps you get more momentum. You don't have to do this if you want to keep fire type coverage, but if you want to keep for type coverage that bad, just give fire blast to tyranitar instead over ice beam. One little thing here too, I recommend jolly over adamant on excadrill, as that allows it to outspeed things even if sand isn't up. One tiny little thing is that the standard clefable e.g. set is probably better than the one you are currently running, as AD impish john has again, already said. Mostly just little nitpicky, but I hope I helped!

styie

Formerly known as Freedom.
Hey man cool team! I do have a few suggestions for your team to improve it though. Let me first explain 2, possibly 3 threats your team lacks switch-ins too.

Threat 1: Choice Specs Keldeo
Now, your team literally has no switch-ins whatsoever. Look at the calcs below:

• 252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Clefable: 289-342 (73.5 - 87%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
  • 252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Zapdos: 292-345 (76.2 - 90%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
  • 252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Mega Metagross: 246-291 (81.7 - 96.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
The rest of your team gets KOed by secret sword. Moving on to the second threat.

Threat 2: Mega Charizard-Y
Again, your team has no universal switch-ins as everything gets OHKO'd-2HKO'd on the switch-in. Look at the calcs below:

• 252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Zapdos in Sun: 343-405 (89.5 - 105.7%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO
  • 252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 4 HP / 4 SpD Hydreigon in Sun: 170-201 (52.1 - 61.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • 252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 96 SpD Clefable in Sun: 309-364 (78.6 - 92.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers
That last calc isn't even your spread that's the standard MG+CM Clefable spread and it still gets bopped.

Threat 3: Tornadus-T
Now you have a Zapdos, which can freely check it with the desired EV spread I'm going to provide at the bottom of this rate.
So I'm not going to run calcs, but some calcs I know off the top of my head, 96 Atk LO Torn-T KOes Excadrill and Tyranitar. Not to mention it Outspeeds Jolly Scarf Varient with 216+ Speed EVs and besides Zapdos, nothing wants to take a LO STAB Hurricane for Torn-T. Again this mon is very dangerous if you don't keep Zapdos healty.

Now as previously stated, I'm going to have you choose 2 different routes you could take, to alleviate Threat 1 and Threat 2.

Route 1:
you could choose, Latias. This thing can switch-in to specs Hydro Pump and Fire Blast in the Sun from Zard-Y without being 2HKO'd after rocks. Not that it matters due to the fact you outspeed and can easily roost up. Try This set:

Latias @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Healing Wish / Defog
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Roost

The desired EV Spread, allows you to tank hits from Keldeo, Zard-Y, and allows you to survive Landorus Knock Off after stealth rock damage.

or.....

Route 2: AV Goodra
Now, Assualt Vest Goodra is a tank. This eats hits for days especially from the threats I previously mentioned before. Now if interested, try this set:

Goodra @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 240 HP / 252 SpA / 16 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Sludge Bomb
- Thunderbolt

This is standard EVs and sets. Great coverage options, also gives you a nice grass immunity. The 16 speed EVs are to outspeed Adamant Azumarill. The rest goes into HP for bulk and SpAtk to hit as hard ass possible.

Now both routes can be replaced with Hydreigon as it won't hurt your team because it's literally helping, in my opinion. Finally, as promised here is your standard Zapdos set:

Zapdos @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 64 Def / 180 SpD / 16 Spe
Calm Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Roost
- Hidden Power Ice
- Heat Wave

The given EVs maximize Zapdos's special bulk, allowing it to counter Landorus as well as survive a +2 Return from Mega Pinsir after Stealth Rock damage while out speeding Adamant Bisharp. Leftovers is crucial to survive +2 Return from Mega Pinsir after Stealth Rock damage and increases Zapdos's overall longevity.

That's all for my rate, hope you enjoyed and good luck.

Hope I helped :]

Thanks so much for the rate! I'm going to go with the Latias, because I like having the option of recovery to switch into Zard Y more often with it being able to heal off Fire Blasts, which can still dent it. Also, thanks for the Zapdos set!

Hey there, that's an interesting team, i always said that hydreigon might be a good thing in ORAS, it can check bisharp and can fite pretty well in offense, but i notice some weakness in your team, that's why i'll give you a rate.
  • First i can see that you're pretty weak against Keldeo, you're lacking of solid Water check since hydreigon can not tank Secret Sword, you can still try to revenge kill Keldeo with Excadrill but it means you have to fodder one pokemon every time it get in. I can't really suggest you to replace something because it will hurt the spirit of your team or make it worst, so my best suggest would be to use a Specially Defensive spread on Clefable => 252 HP / 96 SpeDef / 160 Def Calm, that spread allows you to be 3HKO'd by Scald from Keldeo Spec which is better than 2HKO and you will still be able to check comon threats such as Lopunny / Gallade or Weavile.
  • Then i'd suggest Heat Wave instead of Toxic on Zapdos, indeed your team has nothing to beat Scizor SD, since you're not running Heat Wave, Scizor will be able to wall you by spamming Roost and Swords Dance because Thunderbolt doesnt hurt enough unfortunately, while with Heat Wave it wont be an issue anymore in addition to hit Ferrothorn and prevent him from being annoying for your team.
I hope I Helped and good luck with your team.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)