Hearthstone [IRC Channel #Skillstone]

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
BRM isn't worth it currently unless you are really invested in playing Patron Warrior, Handlock, or Druid. Imp Gang Boss came out with it, which has been a boon for Demonlock missing it's 3 Mana drop, but that's about it.

As for crafting I suggest you find a good, cheap deck (or mid-price deck) to play and spend time crafting that. My suggestion would be budget Oil Rogue since it's a fairly strong build. That or Face Hunter and Zoo (if you get Naxx) also climb and win fairly consistently at a low cost.

IMO there a few "necessary" cards which you 100% need if you want to be competitive and those consist of:
Dr. Boom
Big Game Hunter
Azure Drake
Piloted Shredder

the rest of the cards are generally unique in most decks, but there is going to be some combination of the four above in all decks (aside from Patron Warrior).

You left off Hunter (quick shot is mandatory), Shaman (Fireguard is super powerful) and Mage (Flamewaker is insane).

You don't need Azure Drake. It's an awful card vs Aggro. It was mandatory because no good 5 drops really existed but now we have Sludge, Loatheb, and Healbot

It obviously still can fit in some decks, Druid and MR Shaman use it for example, but really not necessary. I wouldn't call BGH necessary either, it's a solid card but again weak to aggro. Honestly combo decks like Druid/Patron or fast decks like Mage/Demon Zoo/Hunter are so powerful from BRM and the meta has finally changed to reflect this. Staples like Azure and BGH are honestly just too slow at the present. Craft them because inevitably the meta will bounce to something slower if cards are nerfed/changed but Aggro is king atm.

@ waterwarrior

I haven't sunk a dime into the game, but I also started playing when it came out, so it will be a bit rougher to get what you need to be successful without a long wait/rng luck pulls or (hatefully) spending something on packs so at the least you can DE junk you don't want for cards you do. Because gold comes slowly and you can't craft unless you have the dust from DEing.

I know a lot of people say do arena, but just from my own experience, I have never had a good draft of cards and have never won much in it, so I just stick to packs. You get at least a pack iirc even if you go 0-3, but that's a 50g premium you pay for it, and you just get minor amounts of dust for a couple of wins. So I'd rather be 50g closer to another pack instead of what, 10 dust closer to a card. But that's my 2 cents I guess, if you are the lucky type by all means arena.

Matthew

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
You left off Hunter (quick shot is mandatory), Shaman (Fireguard is super powerful) and Mage (Flamewaker is insane).

You don't need Azure Drake. It's an awful card vs Aggro. It was mandatory because no good 5 drops really existed but now we have Sludge, Loatheb, and Healbot

It obviously still can fit in some decks, Druid and MR Shaman use it for example, but really not necessary. I wouldn't call BGH necessary either, it's a solid card but again weak to aggro. Honestly combo decks like Druid/Patron or fast decks like Mage/Demon Zoo/Hunter are so powerful from BRM and the meta has finally changed to reflect this. Staples like Azure and BGH are honestly just too slow at the present. Craft them because inevitably the meta will bounce to something slower if cards are nerfed/changed but Aggro is king atm.
Every card you listed is available by Adventures (aside Healbot which I did foolishly miss on my list). I'm saying cards to craft that are necessary aside from the adventures.

Every card you listed is available by Adventures (aside Healbot which I did foolishly miss on my list). I'm saying cards to craft that are necessary aside from the adventures.
BRM isn't worth it currently unless you are really invested in playing Patron Warrior, Handlock, or Druid.

I was responding to this my good man

Matthew

BRM isn't worth it currently unless you are really invested in playing Patron Warrior, Handlock, or Druid.

I was responding to this my good man
Shaman and Mage, IMO, are better just playing the Mech variants still rather than any tempo deck. Shaman, my poor class, has been out of favor for a while and needs to go full Hunter with Fel Reavers and burn if it really wants to win. I've experimented with Tempo Mage to some degree of success (I'm currently rank 8 on the ladder) but found it lacks the consistency that Mech Mage often has (and even that can be not very consistent).

Quick shot for Hunter is a nice addition for burn sources, or you can just play the GvG Midrange list before Quickshot since it doesn't actually add anything except for a little more cheap damage to face Hunter (which has plenty of sources of that anyway so not like it really matters).

For the reference Azure Drake is used in a few t1 decks (Oil Rogue, any kind of Druid, and Mech Mage), while if you want to play any sort of value Shaman you're also going to need to include it as a solid cantrip and Spell Damage.

Dragon Paladin is weak right now. The list is far from anything that's better than standard mid-range Paladin and you shouldn't encourage that as a competitive deck to someone who is asking if BRM is "worth it," that being said I find Dragon Paladin incredibly fun to play and Solemon's Vigil will probably find its home in my mid-range deck over one Quartermaster.

n00b asking n00b questions everyone's favorite right? /sarcasm

1. I'm sure everyone here has been asked this before, but how much real money have you sunk into this game, and do you think it was worth it? I've only been playing for 3-4 days and want to purchase Curse of Naxxramas (esp since all the decks I wanna make require a bunch of the cards), but for $25 plus maybe Blackrock Mountain plus some other packs in the future, it seems a little on the expensive side. Should I try to just buy the wings with gold and skip arena and stuff since I'm not exactly breaking even in terms of gold most of the time?

2. Crafting. I've looked at a few guides, but a lot of them are pretty vague about whether you should buy all the cheaper cards you want first or save up for epic and legendary cards. Any advice, or does this just fall under personal preference?

Sorry for the spammy post, just looking for help y'all ^.^
I've spent $145 US on this game. Have to keep a tally to make sure I don't spend too much lol. You'll quickly realize, if you haven't already, that you are going to have to spend either money or time on this game. For example, I was F2P for a year (been playing since open beta), but other responsibilities pulled me away from the game (read: a full time job). Nowadays, I have way less time to play, but now I have money to spend on Hearthstone if I want to as opposed to having all the time in the world, but being broke.

That sounded so bad, but oh well :P

Anyway, it's a balancing act is what I wanted to get at. Was the money worth it? Yeah it was, but partially because my collection was built on a foundation of a year's worth of grinding. Also, if this is a game you find yourself sticking with and you ever do spend money in the future, realize it's a card game. Meaning there is never going to really be a point where you drop a bunch of money/gold and you're "one and done". This is not a "spend $60 and that's it" game (I see so many people treat it that way), unless you plan on spending money once and then just grinding gold for the rest of your days to get everything else. New sets/adventures will be coming out and you'll have to get some of the new cards to keep up. Of course this doesn't apply as much if you plan on just playing Arena.

As far as crafting, again I wouldn't worry about this if you are going to exclusively play Arena. Other than that, I think it just comes down to personal preference. If I had to do the F2P thing again though, I would've just played with all the classes with the cards given to me at the start, decided which classes I wanted to commit to and then just grind Arena for a couple of months until I had the collection to build the decks I wanted for those classes. But even that is harder now because Arena only gives out GvG packs. Arena is still worth it, but it's even more important to go "infinite" nowadays IMO(earn enough gold to pay for your next run)

I rambled too as usual.

Fatecrashers

acta est fabula
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
hunters, zoolocks, paladins, and mages are all over the ladder and patron warrior has good matchups against all of them, it's so good it's insane

grim patron is truly the real star of blackrock mountain

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
hunters, zoolocks, paladins, and mages are all over the ladder and patron warrior has good matchups against all of them, it's so good it's insane

grim patron is truly the real star of blackrock mountain
I remember streamers going like "it's gonna be THAT deck, that everyone's gonna play and then realize it's a bad gimmick and give up"... Then people like trump started using it as entertainment while waiting to complete their BRM collection and then they're like "holy shit it's actually good"..
Though I'd argue the real star is thaurissan, that makes it from a semi-reliable gimmick to consistent enough for top ladder.

༼ ºل͜º ༽ºل͜º ༽ºل͜º ༽ EVERYONE,GET IN HERE ༼ ºل͜º༼ ºل͜º༼ ºل͜º ༽.

somehow, I managed to breeze through heroic BRM within a couple hours after each wing was released. I guess it helps having basically all the cards because I was still entirely f2p when Naxx came out. Maloriak was a bitch though (the +2/+2 swapped stats guy). 5/3 voidwalkers.................. 7/5 belchers that spawn 4/3s............................ faceless a belcher and it becomes a 7/9.............................................

he was way harder than nefarian. got him like second try, took like an hour for me to beat Maloriak on heroic.

but that card back is bangin.

also whoever said dragon pally sucks, I've played with it a bit and it's really strong. poppin out turn 6 ysera with coin is nuts. feels like druid. and swinging tempo in your favor is easy when you get turn 2 or 3 3/5s out. I've been playing a list that came out before week 5, but I really can't find room for blackwing corruptors. I think they're pretty weak in pally because the 5 slot is so loaded already.

how does everyone feel abt mech shaman? i played about 15 games earlier today and only lost 1 because i didnt get any mechwarpers/early game mechs

Fatecrashers

acta est fabula
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
seems there's still a lot of hearthstone-playing smogoners here not on my friends list, my battle tag is Bamboocopter #1655, please add me so we can spectate each others' glorious hearthstone conquests

Lavos

Banned deucer.
if we're doing this friend thing, LAVOSE#1935 here. always down for a nice bo5 in conquest mode

how does everyone feel abt mech shaman? i played about 15 games earlier today and only lost 1 because i didnt get any mechwarpers/early game mechs
it sucks unless you draw perfectly and then it's unbeatable. think of a worse mech mage, except all your burn spells cost less. ive played maybe ~100 games of mech shaman and will go on long streaks of wins followed by long streaks of losses due to the nature of the deck. don't like it

in other news, dragon warrior is awesome

RODAN

Banned deucer.
hey howdy RODAN#1214

also i finally crafted grommash after many moons putting it off, im ready for the gold warrior climb

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)