Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SketchUp

Don't let your memes be dreams
Cotton Guard is far from bad and several tournament battles have shown that. With Cotton Guard pokemon like Ferrothorn, Scizor and Excadrill fail to revengekill you and if they lack SD you can just set up to +6 / +6 / +6 against them. Special Attackers still care because there are only a few special attackers that can break a +1 / +1 Mega Altaria (Mega Venusaur and Gengar are one of the few) Your offensive presence at +0 doesn't really matter if +3 / +6 defense helps you set up on almost the entire tier and I can assure you that a +4 Return is not negligible damage.

Creator of Chaos I don't know the exact spread but I've seen EVs: 248 HP / 108 SpD / 152 Spe with a Careful nature in the cores topic so you could try that one out.

I've seen one or two posts saying Weavile's very dangerous atm and it even moved up to A- on the VR; what happened that made Weavile suddenly so much better?

bludz

a waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I've seen one or two posts saying Weavile's very dangerous atm and it even moved up to A- on the VR; what happened that made Weavile suddenly so much better?
The thing is that the metagame has been starting to move more toward bulky offense again and Weavile had more trouble in a bulkier, balance-filled metagame. The rise of Mega Altaria, Tornadus-T, Alakazam, Reuniclus, Mega Latias, Serperior, Gliscor and Garchomp and of course Landorus all help Weavile out a lot.

Is there any thread about Winning Conditions? I've been looking but I only found the Doughboy's thread about teambuilding. Thanks!
There was a thread a while ago from Subject 18 which had all kinds of things in it, including wincons. I dont remember the exact name but Im sure you can find it by looking up threads by Subject 18

To paraphrase AM's reasoning from the Viability Ranking thread, Garchomp has been living large for a little while now, the Lati twins are as popular as ever, Tornadus-T has been seeing growing popularity on offense and balance, etc., and these factors make for a metagame that's very kind to Weavile. Not to mention that it checks things like Landorus as well, and a lot of teams just don't seem prepared for the Dark/Ice coverage that Weavile brings to the table. Another thing that makes Weavile cool is the fact that its a powerful and very fast Pokemon that doesn't use up a Mega slot, which is pretty enticing. It's comparable to Mega Lopunny in terms of strength, and its speed makes it the fastest common non-Mega in the metagame bar Talonflame IIRC. That in turn makes it dangerous Pokemon for offense to deal with, in a similar vein to Mega Lopunny and friends.

Are Mega Stones irremovable from any Mon, or only the mon they're associated with? Like, what if I wanted to put an incompatible Mega Stone on a Pokemon weak to Knock Off to prevent both Trick Scarf shenanigans and extra KO damage?

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Are Mega Stones irremovable from any Mon, or only the mon they're associated with? Like, what if I wanted to put an incompatible Mega Stone on a Pokemon weak to Knock Off to prevent both Trick Scarf shenanigans and extra KO damage?
I'm pretty sure you can actually do this, as in trick a stone that isn't correlated to the mon like Porygon2 holding venusaurite or something. Seems stupid but it's been done so I've heard.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
PSA. Figured this would be the best place to put it considering mostly everyone stumbles across this forum and there's no need for a thread to say this stuff anyways.

Alright so with permission by haunter I went ahead and removed some threads that were labeled as "sticky", aka the threads that always remain at the top. I removed all the OUPL stuff and the ORAS Metagame discussion thread as sticky. OUPL because there is like 4 threads for a fun tour basically that doesn't necessitate being up there since it's really just entertainment and the ORAS metagame discussion one because it was a sticky back when the ORAS meta started and is basically casual discussion. This was from some concerns with too many stickies and how you would have to scroll half the page to get to the relevant aspects of the forum.

I kept the Guide to ORAS metagame thread by Shadow_Sneak since it's sort of a hub for all the basic resources like cores, workshops, etc. Speaking of which Shadow Sneak I updated the viability ranking link to the new one since you had the older outdated one. Some of those links at a glance need to be replaced with relevant thread due to being taken over so just an fyi. Recreant boltsandbombers xzern since you're the three running OUPL make sure that all players and managers are aware and have their settings to "watch thread" for each week. Not gonna sticky something all the players should be paying attention to anyways. Also keep track of logs and replays thread they're a couple of threads down now.

With that being said to those who ask me to sticky their threads like asking for compendiums to be stickied, the threads you see that are stickied which are the ones with the red pins are more than likely going to be the only ones that will be stickied. So basically anything pertaining to rules, speed tier, ORAS OU viability ranking, suspect tests, simple answers and questions, and anything tiering based related which of course will be handled by OU tiering council. Anything else that correlates to something like a project or compendium should be redirected to the mods for clarification on where to go. Most likely stuff like this will be suggested to go into the "Guide to ORAS Metagame" thread if it actually serves a purpose in guiding new users to be acquainted to the metagame or won't be sticky because it doesn't need to be.

Those are really the only things I can unsticky so there you guys have it for those who had these concerns. Any further questions message me through a PM or VM. Thanks.

PSA. Figured this would be the best place to put it considering mostly everyone stumbles across this forum and there's no need for a thread to say this stuff anyways.

Alright so with permission by haunter I went ahead and removed some threads that were labeled as "sticky", aka the threads that always remain at the top. I removed all the OUPL stuff and the ORAS Metagame discussion thread as sticky. OUPL because there is like 4 threads for a fun tour basically that doesn't necessitate being up there since it's really just entertainment and the ORAS metagame discussion one because it was a sticky back when the ORAS meta started and is basically casual discussion. This was from some concerns with too many stickies and how you would have to scroll half the page to get to the relevant aspects of the forum.

I kept the Guide to ORAS metagame thread by Shadow_Sneak since it's sort of a hub for all the basic resources like cores, workshops, etc. Speaking of which Shadow Sneak I updated the viability ranking link to the new one since you had the older outdated one. Some of those links at a glance need to be replaced with relevant thread due to being taken over so just an fyi. Recreant boltsandbombers xzern since you're the three running OUPL make sure that all players and managers are aware and have their settings to "watch thread" for each week. Not gonna sticky something all the players should be paying attention to anyways. Also keep track of logs and replays thread they're a couple of threads down now.

With that being said to those who ask me to sticky their threads like asking for compendiums to be stickied, the threads you see that are stickied which are the ones with the red pins are more than likely going to be the only ones that will be stickied. So basically anything pertaining to rules, speed tier, viability ranking, suspect tests, simple answers and questions, and anything tiering based related which of course will be handled by OU tiering council. Anything else that correlates to something like a project or compendium should be redirected to the mods for clarification on where to go. Most likely stuff like this will be suggested to go into the "Guide to ORAS Metagame" thread if it actually serves a purpose in guiding new users to be acquainted to the metagame or won't be sticky because it doesn't need to be.

Those are really the only things I can unsticky so there you guys have it for those who had these concerns. Any further questions message me through a PM or VM. Thanks.
Alright I am gonna get off my lazy ass and get the replay archive and Guide to ORAS OU updated. Look forward to it I guess.

Cotton Guard is far from bad and several tournament battles have shown that. With Cotton Guard pokemon like Ferrothorn, Scizor and Excadrill fail to revengekill you and if they lack SD you can just set up to +6 / +6 / +6 against them. Special Attackers still care because there are only a few special attackers that can break a +1 / +1 Mega Altaria (Mega Venusaur and Gengar are one of the few) Your offensive presence at +0 doesn't really matter if +3 / +6 defense helps you set up on almost the entire tier and I can assure you that a +4 Return is not negligible damage.

Creator of Chaos I don't know the exact spread but I've seen EVs: 248 HP / 108 SpD / 152 Spe with a Careful nature in the cores topic so you could try that one out.
Thank you very much. This is a really big help. Gonna go make a team around her now

MrAldo

Hey
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
>Her

Huh?

Ok. That set really hates Talonflame so a good momentum grabber that can deal with it could be nice, rotom-w for example.

Creator of Chaos
Straight from the maker:
Altaria @ Altarianite
Ability: Cloud Nine
EVs: 240 HP / 16 Atk / 12 SpD / 240 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Cotton Guard
- Roost
- Return / Facade
- Dragon Dance
What does this set offer over the DDD M-Altaria set?
It seems (at first glance) like it gets checked by all the same threats while only giving more free turns - The tank-type checks (Ferrothorn, Skarmory) dont really care about the defensive boosting, and can phaze or Toxic even more safely; Things that might force out and boost themselves (I'm thinking Unaware Clefable but I'm sure there are more examples) are almost as numerous
While you end up winning 1v1s versus pokemon like Bisharp and Azumarill, is it really worth opting towards mono coverage, or status vulnerability, or extra setup turns?

What am I missing here? (i havent invested too much thought into my examples so i'm aware theyre one-sided :P)

EDIT: OK, saw the thread this set was posted in... like most things it ends up coming tdown to team needs and preferences I guess
Question resolved, kinda

Last edited:
Stuff gets deleted.

Also, how viable is SubCM Raikou? Been using it a bit and it's certainly quite good, but I wanted to see your opinions.
I've personally found CM + 3 Attacks Raikou better for that last coverage slot, but Sub + CM sounds pretty cool by avoiding status and the last slot rarely offers much more coverage. Don't take my opinion and go though, I have not used SubCM at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)