ORAS UU Viability Ranking Thread M2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adaam

إسمي جف
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 8th Grand Slam Winner
New Meta

Some things to think about:

Espeon: With Alakazam gone, the urge for a fast offensive psychic type allows room for espeon to get more use. Of coarse Alakazam had some really good niches over espeon such as FB and encore, but Espeon does tend to fill some of its roles along with providing a team with Magic bounce support.

Stoutland: Pretty much medicore. Moving down is inevitable.

Mega Abomasnow: This one is tricky. On one hand people might be using slowcloak Mamo where Aboma might see some more usage. On the other hand, Mamo is a go to for ice shard as it doesnt require a mega slot and has a powerful stab EQ. Both have great niches in the meta. I just dont know if Mamo will bring it up or allow to see no usage.
Mamoswine shouldn't impact M-Snow IMO. The fact that Obamasnow gets SD + Grass STAB to slay Waters is something Mamo can only dream of having. Also, Obama gets EQ so all Mamo has over it is STAB EQ, neutral to rocks, and isn't a Mega (which is why M-Snow shouldn't impact Mamoswine either)

Last edited:

Lucipurrr

Banned deucer.
Where do you guys see Mandi ending up, i am thinking a solid A-/B+ Mon but i still need to test it out
I can see it Sitting around B+/B rank. It's not stupidly powerful and it's move pool is somewhat limited, but it's going to be a very bendable defogger and STAB Knock off user. Honchkrow's got it beat on aggression, but Mandi'z totally got Krow beat in a defensive support role.

So, I was at a friends house today, and I wasn't able to test out everybody. How are the new Pokemon in the tier and where, by your speculation, do think they're headed on the tier ranking?

Mamoswine shouldn't impact M-Snow IMO. The fact that Obamasnow gets SD + Grass STAB to slay Waters is something Mamo can only dream of having. Also, Obama gets EQ so all Mamo has over it is STAB EQ, neutral to rocks, and isn't a Mega (which is why M-Snow shouldn't impact Mamoswine either)
Well I wouldnt say those are the only things but yeah sd is a great advantage. Mamo can run an item. Mamo's lo ice shard hits harder than Abomasnow. Endever is great. Mamo can live a fire attack and isnt walled by rotom heat or brongzong. You can also run SR.

Mamos extensive niches beats outs abonasnows sd and stab seed bomb. Of coarse the snow tree can be favored over mamo on some teams but 8 times out of ten Mamo is better.

Reactions: nv

Wanka

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
UUPL Champion
I can definitely see Mandi shooting straight up to an A or A- slot as With its physical bulk and access to foul play it can shutdown a lot of physical threats while having good longevity with roost and being able to defog. It can run a variety of filler moves as well like u turn, taunt, and toxic all of which having niches in the tier (I personally like u turn because gaining momentum has been more important than its ever been imo). It also acts as a good sweeper stopper with a move like foul play making it easier to revenge some mons after A foul play that are very big threats to certain teams like lucario, feraligatr, Abomasnow, and doublade. I can see mandibuzz fitting very nicely onto some bulky offense and balance cores.

+2 0 Atk Mandibuzz Foul Play vs. 240 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Doublade: 284-336 (89 - 105.3%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO

+2 0 Atk Mandibuzz Foul Play vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Abomasnow: 331-390 (86.1 - 101.5%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO

+2 252+ Atk Mega Abomasnow Ice Shard vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Mandibuzz: 204-242 (48.2 - 57.2%) -- 42.6% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

+2 0 Atk Mandibuzz Foul Play vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Lucario: 183-216 (65.1 - 76.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+2 220 Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Feraligatr Waterfall vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Mandibuzz: 259-305 (61.2 - 72.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

+2 0 Atk Mandibuzz Foul Play vs. 56 HP / 0 Def Feraligatr: 261-307 (80.3 - 94.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Feraligatr Ice Punch vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Mandibuzz: 276-325 (65.2 - 76.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

+1 0 Atk Mandibuzz Foul Play vs. 56 HP / 0 Def Feraligatr: 220-259 (67.6 - 79.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Adaam

إسمي جف
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 8th Grand Slam Winner
Well I wouldnt say those are the only things but yeah sd is a great advantage. Mamo can run an item. Mamo's lo ice shard hits harder than Abomasnow. Endever is great. Mamo can live a fire attack and isnt walled by rotom heat or brongzong. You can also run SR.

Mamos extensive niches beats outs abonasnows sd and stab seed bomb. Of coarse the snow tree can be favored over mamo on some teams but 8 times out of ten Mamo is better.
I didn't include the item aspect since I prefer SD over being able to hold a Life Orb, but you're right that the immediate power is better in many cases. However, I wouldn't consider Endeavor to be an advantage since Endeavor is typically seen on suicide leads, which means Mamo is not fulfilling the same offensive role as Abomasnow would.

I do agree that overall Mamo is better, and looking back it was stupid to say all Mamo has is STAB EQ and no Mega cost, but their niches are different enough that one should not affect the viability of the other, since the only thing they have in common is STAB Ice Shard.

I didn't include the item aspect since I prefer SD over being able to hold a Life Orb, but you're right that the immediate power is better in many cases. However, I wouldn't consider Endeavor to be an advantage since Endeavor is typically seen on suicide leads, which means Mamo is not fulfilling the same offensive role as Abomasnow would.

I do agree that overall Mamo is better, and looking back it was stupid to say all Mamo has is STAB EQ and no Mega cost, but their niches are different enough that one should not affect the viability of the other, since the only thing they have in common is STAB Ice Shard.
Agreed. Still want to see if people will be running snow cloak at all. Im going to try it out soon.

Funbot28

Banned deucer.
Excited for these new changes :]

Probably A or A+
Can effectively check or counter most of the other A rank mons. Great Dual Ground and Ice STAB combination

Maybe B+ or A-
This thing is very bulky, and provides immense team support with access to Defog, Whirlwind and Knock Off. Faces competition with Gligar, but overall great mon

C+ or B-
Probably gonna be RU, as it is outclassed by the likes of Herracross and Meinshao. Still an Ok mon

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
While I agree that Mamoswine will be somewhere between A and S, and Mandibuzz will probably be in the B+ or A- range, now is not the time to speculate rankings, especially since we have only had Mamoswine and Mandibuzz in this tier for about a day. Gallade probably isn't going to get ranked, however, because it is so utterly outclassed by Mienshao and Heracross and lacks a viable niche in the current generation. Without its Mega Stone, Gallade is simply not worth using.

That said, this new meta should be interesting to say the very least :)

Wanka

UUPL Champion
I think we should wait a while and see how these mons fare in UU as opposed to speculating ranks.
While I agree that Mamoswine will be somewhere between A and S, and Mandibuzz will probably be in the B+ or A- range, now is not the time to speculate rankings, especially since we have only had Mamoswine and Mandibuzz in this tier for about a day. Gallade probably isn't going to get ranked, however, because it is so utterly outclassed by Mienshao and Heracross and lacks a viable niche in the current generation. Without its Mega Stone, Gallade is simply not worth using.

It was suggested that we discuss how we think the likes of mamo and mandibuzz will do in uu on the previous page so its fine that we are speculating.

Gallade has niches so dont count it out just yet

Thisbemyalt

Shiba sucks
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Gallade has niches so dont count it out just yet
Gallade was available to UU all of XY and no one really used it as it was just a poor choice of a fighting type in all honesty it will be even less used now that it has to compete with medicham for a fighting psychic type. Hell AV Machamp is now a much more popular set making gallade's AV set outclassed overall I can't see this mon getting above C hell I would be surprised if it was C.

If Gallade gets a ranking on the viability thread, it'll be only due to its support movepool. AV is an atrocious waste of said support movepool.

I wouldn't say gallade is totally outclassed. As silenced said, it has a plethora of support moves. I could see multiple sets being ran on gallade that could definitely work, namely a sub will-o-wisp set that may just be what one of my teams need. You say it's outclassed by other fightings, but I have never seen a fighting type run a support set before. Gallade might well be C ranking, and I wouldn't be surprised.

If Gallade gets a ranking on the viability thread, it'll be only due to its support movepool. AV is an atrocious waste of said support movepool.
Yes, AV is awful, but Gallade has a sets of niches:
- Trick: Can be quite useful on Choiced Sets, which is a pretty nice thing
- Psychic STAB: It's also quite useful, as Poison types may try to switch on any fighting type.
- Sub Bulk Up: This set can be good in the right hands and with a bit of support, Special Bulk allows hit to survive Scalds from weak Bulky waters, and a bunch of other weak special hits will most likely going to be resisted too.
- Coverage & Versatility: Gallade can run quite a lot of sets & his coverage has options for almost any defensive Pokemon.

That being said, i think that Gallade should be B-, i wouldn't cry if it's C Rank through.

Lucipurrr

Banned deucer.
- Psychic STAB: It's also quite useful, as Poison types may try to switch on any fighting type.
- Sub Bulk Up: This set can be good in the right hands and with a bit of support, Special Bulk allows hit to survive Scalds from weak Bulky waters, and a bunch of other weak special hits will most likely going to be resisted too.
- Coverage & Versatility: Gallade can run quite a lot of sets & his coverage has options for almost any defensive Pokemon.

That being said, i think that Gallade should be B-, i wouldn't cry if it's C Rank through.
With options like this I could see Gallade being C+ or B at best.

Thisbemyalt

Shiba sucks

None of these sets would even be good though lol Medicham does the same shit with the exception of sub bulk up and that set sounds really bad when I can't fathom a reason to run that over SD hera. The fact is Gallade isn't like mandibuzz or mamo it is not new to the tier we had it before we know what it wants to do here if it is used at all and it is just so outclassed in the UU metagame to the point where there is no real reason to use him over other fighting types. If you want support moves I promise UU has a lot more to offer than Gallade, having mediocre support moves does not mean Gallade can use them well enough to have a solid niche in the tier.

Gallade only has one set that's worth using: Sub + BU. Any other set is completely outclassed by every other fighting-type. Want a scarf user? Use Heracross or Mienshao. Want a band user? Use Heracross or Machamp. I don't see why you would run Trick on Gallade anyway, it has relatively good coverage moves. Trick just seems like a waste. If you want to use a fighting-type mon with a psychic STAB (although I don't see why you would, because you could just run EQ Hera and be done with it) you should just use Medicham, which hits the same speed tier and hits way harder than Gallade does- Gallade only hits 383 attack with 252+ EVs, while Medicham hits 480 attack with the same EVs. The only niche IMO gallade has over Medicham is the fact that it gets a lot more bulk and has access to a relatively unique Sub + BU set.

Sub / BU / Drain Punch / Psycho Cut or Knock Off is good enough to be a relatively decent setup sweeper against certain teams, but just beware that you're going to have huge issues dealing any sort of initial damage since you have to setup first, and you're only going to be able to setup on certain mons: It's really easy to setup on any bulky water in the tier, since the only one that can break your sub is Mega Blastoise, just beware Roar / Haze on these mons since they can stop your setup. The issue with Medicham is that it's really slow when you invest in so much bulk, and it's easily revenge killed by pretty much every common offensive mon that can hit it hard. Infiltrator mons (basically just Crobat) can hit through its sub and fairies dont give a shit about anything it does unless the Florges/Aromatisse/Granbull player lets it setup to like +5/+5 or some shit.

Offensive SD is ok but not worth a mention imo. The only reason it would ever be on the viability rankings is because of its sub + bu set which capitalizes on its bulk to do well against certain teams. Most matches it will most likely be dead weight, since it takes a very certain circumstance to set it up, and it doesn't become particularly deadly until it gets to +3/+3 or so. It's not like Slurpuff in that regard, where it has a very limited chance to setup but can blow huge holes or possibly sweep through the opponent's team if it gets those circumstances. It is really only effective when its plethora of checks have been removed. IMO it's not even worth C rank, but if you guys feel the absolute need to rank the 'mon it shouldn't be any higher than C, considering all and all Medicham is a much better mon and it's sitting in C.

tl;dr: dont use any set other than sub+bu, if you want to use a fighter with a psychic stab use medicham, probably isn't even worth C. going right to RU easily.

None of these sets would even be good though lol Medicham does the same shit with the exception of sub bulk up and that set sounds really bad when I can't fathom a reason to run that over SD hera. The fact is Gallade isn't like mandibuzz or mamo it is not new to the tier we had it before we know what it wants to do here if it is used at all and it is just so outclassed in the UU metagame to the point where there is no real reason to use him over other fighting types. If you want support moves I promise UU has a lot more to offer than Gallade, having mediocre support moves does not mean Gallade can use them well enough to have a solid niche in the tier.
Medicham is lacking the good versatility, and by that i mean, it has other sets & possible coverage, but they kinda sucks, so you always know it's pretty choiced or maybe LO, but nothing else, it also lacks any kind of, did i mention Medicham doesn't even have Knock Off .
Here for Gallade, it's a completely different story, and you're just overlooking as much as any other niche that you probably never gave a chance.
Also, can you explain me how Sub BU Gallade & SD Hera have anything in common aside from being setup sweepers? They're definitly looking for the same pokemons or builds to threaten, this is just stupid.

I'd just advice you to use the actual pokemon before talking about it, he'd be better, don't you think?
You may be surprised, as much as you could be while trying niche pokemons that are decent and were " discovered " lately, such as Tangrowth.

EDIT: As i don't want to do another thing for Slate., i'll just say that you're, in my opinion, completely overlooking the utility of Trick as a move, and how ruining a pokemon rather than killing it can actually matters depending of your team.

EDIT 2: OG_Wanka, versatility in sets, not coverage x:
But yeah, Medi might just be preferable over Gallade for choiced, unless you really need Knock Off, which is an useful move.

Last edited:

Wanka

UUPL Champion
Medicham is lacking the good versatility, and by that i mean, it has other sets & possible coverage, but they kinda sucks, so you always know it's pretty choiced or maybe LO, but nothing else, it also lacks any kind of .
Here for Gallade, it's a completely different story, and you're just overlooking as much as any other niche that you probably never gave a chance.
Also, can you explain me how Sub BU Gallade & SD Hera have anything in common aside from being setup sweepers? They're definitly looking for the same pokemons or builds to threaten, this is just stupid.

I'd just advice you to use the actual pokemon before talking about it, he'd be better, don't you think?
You may be surprised, as much as you could be while trying niche pokemons that are decent and were " discovered " lately, such as Tangrowth.
how does Medicham lack coverage ?_? shit gets access to the elemental punches and fighting psycic stab has generally good coverage in itself that part of your response literally made 0 sense. The sub bulk up set is going to be extremely niche as offense is an extremely powerful playstyle right now and with sub bulk up gallade is going to have to run bulk making it extremely slow and with the god aweful hp and defense it has I honestly don't see it doing anything. No way it should make it past C.

Thisbemyalt

Shiba sucks
Medicham is lacking the good versatility, and by that i mean, it has other sets & possible coverage, but they kinda sucks, so you always know it's pretty choiced or maybe LO, but nothing else, it also lacks any kind of, did i mention Medicham doesn't even have Knock Off .

EDIT: As i don't want to do another thing for Slate., i'll just say that you're, in my opinion, completely overlooking the utility of Trick as a move, and how ruining a pokemon rather than killing it can actually matters depending of your team.

EDIT 2: OG_Wanka, versatility in sets, not coverage x:
But yeah, Medi might just be preferable over Gallade for choiced, unless you really need Knock Off, which is an useful move.
I have used plenty of Gallade in the past and it only really works in a bulky meta however this tier is so offensive right now it is ridiculous, Gallade will rarely find a place on any team because it just folds to offense. Also I was comparing the two because they both are meant to setup and break stall/walls however hera is much better since it has immediate power and can handle bulky psychic types which are finding their way onto more and more teams. Gallade is just so bad like the sub bulk up set is meant to setup on walls but it is way too easy to switch into and/or revenge kill that the set is useless. Bulky psychics beat it, Granbull beats it, florges/aromatisse, crobat, etc. all of which are very common on balance or stall meaning Gallade usually fails against those teams as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)