CAP 20 CAP 20 - Name Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Final Submission

Njormada

Njord (Norse God of Sea) + Armada (Fleet of Ships)

Pronounced: "NYOR-mah-duh"

Last edited:
Final Submission

Deepestloar

Deepest or Deep + Tempest + Lore + Oar

Pronounced: DEEP-est-LOHR

Last edited:

Qwilphish

when everything you touch turns to gold
WIP

Drekkaur

Pronounced: Drek - Or

Drekkar (Longboat with carvings of beasts. The inspiration: just the specific name) + Dinosaur

could go with the oar pun but thats boring and I think the drekkar fits the boat requirements and the -aur fits the animalistic part

WIP

Oarbedragon

Oar + "Here Be Dragons", a phrase used to describe dangerous and/or unexplored territories.
I just really liked this name when I thought of it.

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Aegirow is the only one standing out to me so far. Successfully pulls off the Nordic and aquatic references without hitting you over the head with puns and references which imo we should really be avoiding. Takes a level of creativity in the combination to create an aesthetically pleasing sound to the name while also evoking effective imagery of the design. Row is the reference to the boat aspect of the ship with Aegi(s) conjures powerful, ancient imagery fitting for a rugged dragon boat thing.

I'd consider submitting a name but I'm not sure I could top that one.

Seen a couple others I wouldn't hate but the majority is heavy handed and/or unfunny and/or aesthetically yech

HeaLnDeaL

Let's Keep Fighting
is an Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Just wanted to say that so far, Ferrocean is probably my favorite name that I've seen, so kudos to mcFlareon for coming up with it! Though there are a few Viking names I like as well, I think Ferrocean does a great job of making a pun without going too obscure with the Viking and Norse references.

Other names I like include BigWigs's Ragnarow and oddly also Yilx's Nibbles.

frenzyplant

Inertia is a property of matter.
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
WIP

Carnivoar

A combination of "carnivore", referencing CAP20's dragon-like appearance, and "oar".

(Work in Progress)

Fereyr

(pronounced Fe - ray - yr)

Not too sure how the puns are going down but this is a mix of the periodic symbol for Iron (Fe) and the Norse God Freyr (one of the most important in their tradition). And it's a great sounding word imo, rolls off the tongue easier than one might expect

WIP

Bergstad

From "Oseberg", a Viking ship that typically had an animal head at the ship's prow and "Gokstad", a Viking warship that had a very long prow.

Name: Littlefoot

General Description: ok yeah its a dinosaur with big feet so yeah

Justification: (a.k.a. Loveable Littlefoot, as he is called on the official Land Before Time website and by fans)

Magistrum

DOITSU NO KAGAKU WA SEKAI ICHI
is a Top Artist Alumnus
WIP's:

Argosaur

"Argo" + "dinosaur"

Pronounced "ar-go-sor"
IPA: ɑrgɔːsɔr

Name comes from a simple portmanteau consisting of the legendary ship of heroes, the Argo, as well as the saur from the word Dinosaur which relates to its reptilian features and size. Yes I know the Argo is a Greek ship, however I think it is a very nice source of inspiration nonetheless.

Oarmada

"Oar" + "Armada"

Pronounced "oar-ma-duh"
IPA: ɔrmɑːdɑː

Pretty easy on the tongue, it is made up of the words Oar which is used to row boats and Armada which means naval fleet, or an adjective meaning "armed" which could be a way to describe CAP20's attack prowess.

Fjoarder

Pronounced: "FYOR-der"

Combines "fjord" and "oar" rather simply, while the "er" at the end gives it an active sound.

Shiprekt and Valhulla are my favourite so far. Ragnarow is another strong contender.

My opinion is if you decide to go down the Norse route be wary of over complicating the name.

You can take liberties of removing a letter if it doesn't mess up the sound. An example would be Agile Turtle's Ragnoarark. That was hard for me to read and figure out how to pronounce. I was saying 'Ragno-arak' to myself a few times.
'Ragnorark' would be better. The oar sound is still present here, it's just a far more subtle pun than it previously was.

DarkNostalgia

Fading in, fading out, on the edge of paradise
is a Contributor Alumnus
WIP

Bermauder

Pronunciation: "berr - maw - dur"

A combination of 'Bermuda' and 'Marauder'. As you all know, the Bermuda Triangle is notorious for its numerous ship/plane accidents, and it kind of fits with CAP 20's offensive nature, while Marauder is a reference to piracy.

wip

Aegroar

From "Ægir", the norse god of the sea, "Roar" like the noise it makes, and "Oar" because its a boat

WIP (another one)

Dreadnaut

Pronounced: dred-NAUT

A combination of 'dreadnought', 'Dreadnoughtus' and 'Argonaut'.

Another dreadnought one from me. Dreadnoughts are a class of battleship, as well as being an archaic word for a fearless person (it looks pretty fearless) and a raincoat for stormy weather (which fits with the water typing). Dreadnoughtus is a genus of titanosaur and the heaviest known dinosaur. The design does look kinda sauropod-y, and rather heavy. 'Naut' refers to both the Argonauts, Jason's band of heroes in Greek mythology, and juggernauts.

Please let me know which you prefer - Dreadnjord or Dreadnaut.

WIP

Nidloroar

Pronounced: Nid-lo-ROAR

A combination of the Norse serpent, the Nidhogg who eats the roots of the world tree Yggdrasil, oar, roar, and the 'lo' as in longboat.

Slapperfish

Banned deucer.
Dragalleon - Portmanteau of dragon and galleon.

Warmongard - Portmanteau/corruption of warmonger and Jormungandr, the Midgard serpent.

Skaaldoggard - Corruption of skullduggery, and a portmanteau of Skaald (a Norse poet, similar to a bard), dogger (a type of fishing boat), Jormungandr, and a corruption of dragon spelled backwards. Skaald could also be considered a corruption of scald, given its Water typing.

Last edited:

Dogfish44

You can call me Jiggly
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributor
Some WIPs

Fjordra. Fjord + Dragon.

Fennodragon. Fenno + Dragon (Also sounds in my thick skull like "Final Countdown", which amuses me)

Nidhull. Nidhogg + Hull, we're rapidly getting the picture hear.

WIP, yo!

Jormungirder

Jörmungandr (mythical Norse serpent/dragon) + Girder (for extra steel flavor)

Pronounced: "YOR-mun-gir-dur"

Maelstern

Maelstrom (a whirlpool or aquatic storm) + Stern (strict, uncompromising, also a nautical pun on the rear of a ship)

MALE-sturn

Last edited:
WIPs

Sculdra

Scull (rowing term) + Dragon

SKUL-druh

Sculfa

Scull + skelfa (old Norse for 'to strike fear)

SKUL-fuh

I'm not a huge fan of having 'row' or 'oar' in the name so I tried to convey that idea another way. I know sculfa isn't great because obscure languages don't make for great puns but whatever.

I was hoping to be able to get the word 'pyre' into a name because our ability choices and design lend themselves well to the idea of a Viking funeral except where the vessel survives, being this Pokemon. It's a lot to jam into a name though

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)