(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

I don't think it's suppose to be epic but rather a bit comedic. Hoopa is messing with them by teleporting them from their natural place in space and time and putting them into a battle against you. Just listen to the sound effects that are made when the Pokemon falls out of the ring, they're something you would hear in a cartoon.

Ain't I a stinker?
Darn, you're actually really really right. If I approach it in this way it all makes sense. Thanks for clarifying!

jzplr

formerly SuperLuigi9624
Azumarill breaks the game. It's pretty great in competitive, but even moreso ingame.
Let's do a headcount, shall we?
- Bulky for in-game standards
- Has over 200 attack by around level 40-something, MORE than enough to OHKO everything in the point in the game.
- On top of that, think an NPC could simply overlevel you? How about, suck on fast leveling rate.
- Learns Rollout. RIP Bug Gym, you can get one just before it.
- Team Flare likes Fire types and Dark types. Okay, so you wall both of those types, and all you have to worry about is the occasionally Golba-- Nope. That's a lie. You're way higher level than them, you're faster even if you're one of the weird people (like me) who EV trains for in-game.
- Alright, so the gyms. Viola gets killed by the low-level learned Rollout, Grant gets simply walled to death, walls Korrina's Fighting types, can simply overpower Valerie, can overpower Olympia, and can wall Wulfric. The only thing you have to worry about is Ramos and Clemont, but hey, you're given a Steelix via trade, so...
- Trainers are a breeze for anything, even moreso with Azumarill.
- Wild Pokemon shouldn't even be mentioned.
- Turns Diantha into a joke. Wait, she was already a joke. Now she might just be a stand-up comedian. The only thing threatening is her Tyrantrum assuming you aren't horribly overleveled and just flat out outspeed it, and maybe her Hawlucha, which Azumarill can easily take a Poison Jab from. And then it just walls her entire team. Assuming you don't take any damage from Hawlucha because usually it just goes for SD or you lead with something smarter, you can just tank Gardy's Thunderbolt and just win.

Tl;dr Azumarill turns X and Y into a joke assuming the one you catch has Huge Power

Azumarill breaks the game. It's pretty great in competitive, but even moreso ingame.
Let's do a headcount, shall we?
- Bulky for in-game standards
- Has over 200 attack by around level 40-something, MORE than enough to OHKO everything in the point in the game.
- On top of that, think an NPC could simply overlevel you? How about, suck on fast leveling rate.
- Learns Rollout. RIP Bug Gym, you can get one just before it.
- Team Flare likes Fire types and Dark types. Okay, so you wall both of those types, and all you have to worry about is the occasionally Golba-- Nope. That's a lie. You're way higher level than them, you're faster even if you're one of the weird people (like me) who EV trains for in-game.
- Alright, so the gyms. Viola gets killed by the low-level learned Rollout, Grant gets simply walled to death, walls Korrina's Fighting types, can simply overpower Valerie, can overpower Olympia, and can wall Wulfric. The only thing you have to worry about is Ramos and Clemont, but hey, you're given a Steelix via trade, so...
- Trainers are a breeze for anything, even moreso with Azumarill.
- Wild Pokemon shouldn't even be mentioned.
- Turns Diantha into a joke. Wait, she was already a joke. Now she might just be a stand-up comedian. The only thing threatening is her Tyrantrum assuming you aren't horribly overleveled and just flat out outspeed it, and maybe her Hawlucha, which Azumarill can easily take a Poison Jab from. And then it just walls her entire team. Assuming you don't take any damage from Hawlucha because usually it just goes for SD or you lead with something smarter, you can just tank Gardy's Thunderbolt and just win.

Tl;dr Azumarill turns X and Y into a joke assuming the one you catch has Huge Power
XY is a complete joke no matter what you do lol. I think the biggest culprit of all is Mega Lucario more than anything - no matter what Pokémon you've had up until that point, no matter how bad or good your team is or how overlevelled or underlevelled you are - as soon as Korrina hands you that steel jackal, you've won the game. Simple as that. You've just won.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
XY is a complete joke no matter what you do lol. I think the biggest culprit of all is Mega Lucario more than anything - no matter what Pokémon you've had up until that point, no matter how bad or good your team is or how overlevelled or underlevelled you are - as soon as Korrina hands you that steel jackal, you've won the game. Simple as that. You've just won.
Same in ORAS when you're handed not only a Legendary Pokemon but it too can Mega Evolve.

Just watched an ORAS battle on YouTube, and I figured Cradily is actually a lot smaller than I thought. I'm kind of irritated by that, especially since I always looked at Cradily as that 'big bulky tank'..

Just watched an ORAS battle on YouTube, and I figured Cradily is actually a lot smaller than I thought. I'm kind of irritated by that, especially since I always looked at Cradily as that 'big bulky tank'..
Pokemon sizes/weights make no goddamn sense most of the time. So you get things like Excadrill and Staraptor being comically tiny (and Roselia's line are even worse), or Crobat weighing a little over 150 pounds (despite being 2/3 wings and having a body maybe the size of a large watermelon).

Something that's been bugging me about the O-Powers but is not that important... why the hell do you have to register over 4000 steps to get the energy meter to recharge at its fastest for the day? The 3DS Play Coins are acquired at about 1 every 100 steps and cap out for the day at about 10 coins (1000 steps) and that's all well and good. (well not exactly, but that's not Pokemon related and the max is 300...) You have to register twice that number of steps minimum to get the energy to recharge a little faster. Are kids supposed to be passing O-Powers left right and center while running on a treadmill or something? It bugs me.

What bothers me about O-Powers is Mr. Bonding in XY. He's just... creepy. I find it weird that he just walks up to you, and ends up saying "It's bonding time!" and the screen goes black. It's even scarier in the hotels... and double that if your playing as the female player/Serena. *shudder*

What bothers me about O-Powers is Mr. Bonding in XY. He's just... creepy. I find it weird that he just walks up to you, and ends up saying "It's bonding time!" and the screen goes black. It's even scarier in the hotels... and double that if your playing as the female player/Serena. *shudder*
...And creating him in OR/AS isn't creepy as all hell? It's all worth it to get that Hatching Power, right? (I'm pretty sure it's just as unsettling no matter which gender you're playing as in X/Y)

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Cradily's recorded size is 4 feet & 11 inches/1.5 meters, not that big actually. But yeah, Pokemon tends to play fast and loose with the sizes of Pokemon depending on the Pokemon's appearance instead of checking what the Pokedex said (then again there are some weird sizes in their like Charizard being no bigger than an average human adult). GameFreak may want to think about re-figuring the sizes of Pokemon now that they've gone to 3D.

If you really want to see how hilarious the size scaling is, the Pokedex in ORAS (not sure about XY) has a side-by-side size comparison feature of a Pokemon to the playable character. I think it uses the Pokedex sizes so you can really see what I'm talking about them possibly re-figuring the sizes. ;)

Something that's been bugging me about the O-Powers but is not that important... why the hell do you have to register over 4000 steps to get the energy meter to recharge at its fastest for the day? The 3DS Play Coins are acquired at about 1 every 100 steps and cap out for the day at about 10 coins (1000 steps) and that's all well and good. (well not exactly, but that's not Pokemon related and the max is 300...) You have to register twice that number of steps minimum to get the energy to recharge a little faster. Are kids supposed to be passing O-Powers left right and center while running on a treadmill or something? It bugs me.
The restrictions on O-Powers is ridiculous to be honest. I rarely use any O-Power because of it and its not like I have any problems plaything through the game. The only O-Power I used a lot of was Hatching Power and Catching Power but only for certain situations (both being post game) and I usually had enough I never really ran out. Now I can understand them not wanting players to use O-Powers to break the game, but they've put so many restrictions on them they might as well not have added it since you barely notice its effects. If they bring O-Powers back next gen they may want to redo the entire system.

Anyway, as for why they made real life walking of all thing increase the regeneration rate and why so many steps, I guess to encourage players to get up and walk around. Don't sit around for a long time, take your DS and go outside to play and run around. Of course they made this all pointless by having it reset on the turn of the next day. Why should I waste time increasing my regeneration rate when I could spend my time doing the thing I wanted it to do faster? It's not like making money of getting experience is that hard once you know what to do. It would be real helpful for hatching though but once again the time spent increasing the regeneration you could spend on actually hatching the Pokemon. There's just not enough of a reward to walk around to just increase our regeneration rate.

And the less we talk about the one who bonds the better... he gains power when you speak his name...

I never had too much of a problem with o-power charging myself; just took it to college, had a nice walk around town and caught the bus home.
It was really annoying when I was just short of 4,000 steps tho. So many times with like ~3,800; sigh. They do need to decrease it.

I never had too much of a problem with o-power charging myself; just took it to college, had a nice walk around town and caught the bus home.
It was really annoying when I was just short of 4,000 steps tho. So many times with like ~3,800; sigh. They do need to decrease it.
Even five years ago this kind of thing worked fine. But now everyone and their mother has a smartphone I don't think people really carry their 3DSes around with them any more - or if they do, it's when they're on a long car/train journey where they won't be walking about anyway. Maybe it still works in Japan, but then it seems like Streetpass etc was designed with the Japanese market in mind anyway.

Even five years ago this kind of thing worked fine. But now everyone and their mother has a smartphone I don't think people really carry their 3DSes around with them any more - or if they do, it's when they're on a long car/train journey where they won't be walking about anyway. Maybe it still works in Japan, but then it seems like Streetpass etc was designed with the Japanese market in mind anyway.
I'm not entirely sure; on my little walks around town I easily accumulate the max of 10 people in my streetpass mii plaza, and then I have like 11 or so people in streetsmash. Maybe this is because I almost always take a visit into the local game store - I need my Lucina amiibo - but it still seems there's enough people who still carry it around.
Anyway, point is, if people care enough they'll carry their 3DS around. It's not like everyone needs to do it as a main selling point; it's just a nice little extra.

...And creating him in OR/AS isn't creepy as all hell? It's all worth it to get that Hatching Power, right? (I'm pretty sure it's just as unsettling no matter which gender you're playing as in X/Y)
Yeah, but I find him less creepy in ORAS. He looks more normal (pink suit... really?) and just asks to listen to a song or whatever and you get 2 O-Powers.

Yeah, but I find him less creepy in ORAS. He looks more normal (pink suit... really?) and just asks to listen to a song or whatever and you get 2 O-Powers.
...You didn't go back repeatedly to those old guys, did you?

You didn't see the body horror, did you?

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The fact that beating all the contests doesn't get you an extra rank in your trainer card.
Is this really worth complaining about? It isn't even that hard to do and you get the ribbon effect on the Pokemon that you do it with, so get something and there's incentive to keep playing them. I know I'd drop the contests completely if all I got was an extra rank on my trainer card. What is that even good for?

Is this really worth complaining about? It isn't even that hard to do and you get the ribbon effect on the Pokemon that you do it with, so get something and there's incentive to keep playing them. I know I'd drop the contests completely if all I got was an extra rank on my trainer card. What is that even good for?
But that isn't all you get and I'm not implying all the other prizes would be removed...? As the title of the thread states, this is little things that annoy you; not big major gamebreakers. It's nothing huge, it's just odd that the remake of the game which brought us contests doesn't give us a trainer card rank up when RSE and DPPt both gave you trainer card rank ups for beating all the contests. I'm not incredibly salty or anything about it lol.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
A tiny annoyance I have with Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire is that their names are really long to spell out compared to Pokemon X and Y.
Just use ORAS. ;)

But what other prize do you get from completing all the Pokemon Contests? You just get a Lucarionite if I recall which you get for free in XY, big whoop. Rank up for your Trainer Card is a small reward but at least it would be another reward on top of the almost nothing we're currently getting.

Aside from Ribbons (and even then that's not a great incentive), there's not much reward for doing Pokemon Contests in my opinion.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
But what other prize do you get from completing all the Pokemon Contests? You just get a Lucarionite if I recall which you get for free in XY, big whoop. Rank up for your Trainer Card is a small reward but at least it would be another reward on top of the almost nothing we're currently getting.

Aside from Ribbons (and even then that's not a great incentive), there's not much reward for doing Pokemon Contests in my opinion.
1) Ribbon Effect for when your Pokemon enters battle

2) Chaz gives you the Lucarionite (remember that not everyone plays every Pokemon game)

3) Lisia gives you the Star Light decoration for your Secret Base

4) You get the Glass Ornament for your Secret Base by filling up the Museum with your victory paintings

5) Bulk amount of sweet berries from fans. Can also snag a Destiny Knot if you're lucky.

all better than a boring trainer card rank that serves no functional purpose and no one bothers to check out anyway

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)