Battle Maison Discussion & Records

I haven't been Maison much after the series of "revenge streaks" in Doubles after losing the Triples streak, but I did start playing ORAS Triples some time ago with an improved version of Team Leer, which I included a battle video of with the Storm Drain post. Regarding Storm Drain, the AI has been consistent with the findings for the last 150 battles - the one interaction I am not sure of is Clawitzer4, which would be expected to switch out if it could after locking into Water Pulse, but might not do so (and stay in feeding Gastrodon forever) if the Storm Drain user is in a side position and it's in the center or right. I'm at 915 wins right now and will be posting a full write-up at 1000; it doesn't look too different from its trophy-run incarnarnation, but it is a lot better than the original, which I didn't think would have the potential to make a large streak.
Very eagerly awaiting the host of replays that follow such a streak, as the team sounds very silly yet effective.

My experiences with choice-locked pokes over 1000 battles leads me to believe that as long as Clawitzer has a viable target of Water Pulse, it'll continue selecting the move even with the Storm Drain user present. I've played a lot with my own Gastrodon in randoms, and typically see enemies continue to use their water move until they faint, since their target is not immune to it. Given how they don't factor things like ally support (or lack thereof) or turn order when choosing their actions, it comes as no surprise that they'd continue to fall for such a thing.

At the same time, I've put pokes like Armaldo into 0 PP via Spite on the second turn of a battle, and it continues to sit there while its new teammates replace those that fainted, without ever switching out to choose another move. They don't always behave that way, though, so my own experiences might just be a trend and not absolute like many other instances of AI behavior.

EDIT: Just lost to lead Medicham4. How do you deal with this one? It used Detect first turn, then KO'd Durant with High Jump Kick as Durant loafed, and KO'd Drapion with High Jump Kick too.
This is one of the crappiest opponents you'll face; you have to sacrifice Durant, bring in Cloyster, and use Shell Smash. If you're lucky, Medicham wil Detect or miss with HJK on the turn you use Shell Smash, letting you KO it on the next turn with your the Sash intact. It's more likely that it will hit you, though, and leave you with a 1 HP +2 Cloyster against two mystery opponents. This is (depressingly) better than any other options. Fortunately, many of Medicham's common teammates are Ghosts or Psychic types, who often can't beat Drapion, or Rock/Fire types, who struggle with Cloyster (particularly a Cloyster with Surf). But yeah, Medicham is an opponent you really don't want to see in the lead spot.

The thing that followed Cloyster was Slowking, which didn't die to a +2 Icicle Spear. I could have set up on it with Drapion since it couldn't use Psychic and therefore had only Surf and Ice Beam as attacking moves. I realized after the fact that bringing in Cloyster first (keeping Drapion alive) was a better option but hindsight is always 20/20, alas

The thing that followed Cloyster was Slowking, which didn't die to a +2 Icicle Spear. I could have set up on it with Drapion since it couldn't use Psychic and therefore had only Surf and Ice Beam as attacking moves. I realized after the fact that bringing in Cloyster first (keeping Drapion alive) was a better option but hindsight is always 20/20, alas
Drapion can't set up on Slowking unless you get really lucky with boosts, which probably won't happen. Slowking will pretty much always use Trick Room on its first turn out against Drapion, so you can set up a Sub turn 1 (144 HP), Protect turn 2 (155 HP), set up another Sub while it breaks it turn 3 (122 HP), Protect turn 4 (133 HP), set up another Sub turn 5 (100 HP), KO it with Knock Off turn 6 (111 HP). Then at least you're behind a Sub for whatever opponent comes next, can Protect up to 122 HP, will have 133 HP when it breaks your Sub if you use Knock Off, and can get back to 144 with another Protect. 144 HP with a free Knock Off hit is probably as good as you're gonna get, or you can keep Sub stalling against some opponents to remove the PP of dangerous moves.

lost on battle 170

sigh

then of course the SECOND i mock battle I realize how I could have pulled it off even without the forekowledge of the AI's team (it was Punk Guy Jensen who runs all 4 sets)

i am going to cry

From my perspective, as effective as Durant teams are, they require an innate foreknowledge of both enemy teams/sets as well as AI behavior, which no one develops from the getgo (and on top of that, it changes from team to team, as you become more alert to particular threats and stop caring about others entirely) and while GG Unit and VaporeonIce probably see some aspects of it as braindead, they've been doing it far longer, and it definitely is not as straightforward as some doubles or triples teams. That is to say, I wouldn't worry too much about losing with that team, especially since I don't think you've been at it for too long. You're still working out the kinks, aren't you?

Hell, it took me over 300 battles to learn some things about Aron teams, and another 400 after that to make a strategy change that really smoothed the road to 1000. Keep at it!

I suppose I have to be working out the kinks still, if I lost at 170. The thing was, there wasn't any problem that should have made me misplay. Durant got off Entrainment and then died, which happens less commonly than living but still happens. Drapion/Cloyster could come in just fine - but they couldn't set up because the enemy knew Roar and used it on Drapion, and that's where I started to misplay awfully. :/

In the context of Singles, I don't think of it as more convoluted than any other team that has a realistic chance of getting to 200+ (and looking at the leaderboard, you can tell that there's a pretty steep trade-off between using a super unique team and one that has an actual shot at winning that many consecutive battles). With non-Durant singles teams, the plays you need to make that aren't "just set up with Dragonite or Kangaskhan" generally involve PP stalling by repeatedly switching back and forth between resistant Pokemon (and expediting the PP stall with stuff like Pressure, Protect, and King's Shield). Those also require you to know movesets and exploit AI behavior.

Edit Altissimo yeah I figured, misplaying lead Luxray 2 (or just having it get a QC and full paralysis the first turn and follow it up with more of the same) is the only possible way to lose to Jensen. In a way, the main challenge with the team is flipping from "Oh yeah, I'm sweeping every battle in 2 minutes because Cloyster's so awesome and murders everything" to regarding it as the most worthless team member when stuff begins to go haywire.

Last edited:

turskain

activated its Quick Claw!
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Posting an ongoing streak of 1000 wins in ORAS Triples.

Team Leer Returns

The team is built around Meowstic using Prankster Leer to boost physical damage.

Talonflame @ Choice Band ** U-Ship
Ability: Gale Wings
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 252 HP, 252 Atk, 4 SDef
-Brave Bird
-Flare Blitz
-U-Turn
-Protect

Meowstic @ Focus Sash
Ability: Prankster
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 252 HP, 172 Def, 4 SDef, 76 Spe
-Leer
-Fake Out
-Sunny Day
-Quick Guard

Leer hits all three opponents from the center, putting them in KO range for allied moves.

Sawk @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 4 HP, 252 Atk, 252 Spe
-Close Combat
-Knock Off
-Ice Punch
-Thunder Punch

Sawk is picked because of its ability, Sturdy, which functions as a free Focus Sash.

Gastrodon @ Assault Vest ** Gyges
Ability: Storm Drain
Nature: Quiet
IVs: 0 Spe
EVs: 164 HP, 108 Def, 220 SAtk, 12 SDef
-Earth Power
-Ice Beam
-Scald
-Clear Smog

Gastrodon covers the team's weaknesses and dominates under Trick Room, and is the team's sole special attacker.

Scizor @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
EVs: 204 HP, 252 Atk, 4 Def, 4 SDef, 44 Spe
-Bullet Punch
-Bug Bite
-Superpower
-Protect

Scizor adds another priority attack to take advantage of Leer and forms a Dragon/Water/Steel core for the backups.

Salamence @ Salamencite
Ability: Intimidate
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 4 HP, 252 Atk, 252 Spe
-Return
-Earthquake
-Dragon Dance
-Protect

Mega Salamence rounds out the line-up with a fourth physical sweeper to maximize Leer's potential and provides Intimidate support.
Leer interacts in the following ways with various mechanics:
  • Clear Body and Big Pecks stop Leer from working entirely.
  • White Herb will block the stat drop, but an Intimidate switch-in could be used to clear White Herb before Leer hits. Using Leer multiple times also works.
  • Contrary results in Leer increasing the target's Defense. Clear Smog can remove these boosts.
  • Magic Bounce reflects Leer onto Pokémon that are adjacent to Espeon, but it will still hit the other two opponents normally.
  • Quick Guard blocks Prankster Leer. The move is only used by Cobalion4, and it has used the move once in battle #440.
  • Leer activates Competitive and Defiant. Bisharp4's Sucker Punch is blocked by Quick Guard, and it is not particularly threatening. Competitive Gothitelle and Competitive Milotic can be threatening; it's possible to scout for the ability on Gothitelle, as Frisk is announced and Shadow Tag prevents switching.
  • Clear Smog removes Leer Defense drops. It's still worth using it on Lati@s1 and Evasion boosters, among others.
  • Wide Guard does not block Leer, despite Leer hitting all opponents. As is usual for the AI, it uses Wide Guard even with none of the Pokémon on the field having moves that it might block.
Leer can be used multiple times to stack Defense drops. With Focus Sash and decent bulk, Meowstic can usually use Leer several times in a battle; tough foes like Suicune or Cresselia are softened into KO range after several Leers, and at -2 or -3, resists also start dying. Leer nulls Defense boosts from Stockpile and Curse and weakens set-up sweepers until they are in KO range for a priority attack. Meowstic does not learn Taunt, but with Leer stacking, it can nearly always contribute and avoids being set-up bait. It can also use Leer while Scizor or Salamence bait with Protect, and Leer again on the next turn so that enemy is at -2 when the sweeper moves. Since the AI does not switch out, Leer's effect is permanent - even if Meowstic or its co-leads die, the enemies have been weakened for the back-ups to KO.

Regirock, Landorus4, Latios2, Latias2, Regice, Mandibuzz4 and Metagross4 are the biggest threats that ignore Leer, and are generally the team's worst match-ups. Against these foes, spamming Leer is still useful to weaken the other two enemies.

Hilariously, Leer also increases the damage that the AI inflicts on its allies with Earthquake and Explosion. Against multiple EQ users, enemy Pokémon often KO each other with the Defense drops. In one battle, the AI's Garchomp4 scored five KOs with a single Earthquake, sweeping the whole field clean.

Sunny Day removes Hail and Sandstorm so that Sturdy and Focus Sash remain intact and Sand Veil/Snow Cloak/Sand Rush are deactivated. Prankster Quick Guard has +4 priority to Fake Out's +3, making it block the move entirely. It also blocks Extremespeed from sniping a weakened Talonflame and priority moves from KOing 1HP Sawk.

147 Speed outspeeds Talonflame by 1. At -1 after Icy Wind has hit both Talonflame and Meowstic, it is still one point faster.

Choice Band on Talonflame is generally an inferior item to Life Orb or Sharp Beak in the Maison. Scizor and Talonflame could even swap their items - but Talonflame needs the extra power of Choice Band to secure KOs after Leer. I initially ran Tailwind, but since the team has three Pokémon with priority moves, a Choice Scarf user, a Pokémon with 120 base Speed, and a Pokémon with base 39 Speed, I never used it and replaced it with U-Turn. Protect is useful in situations where Talonflame can draw in two attacks with Protect to create space before switching out.

A calc:
252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. -1 0 HP / 0 Def Jolteon: 140-165 (100 - 117.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Sawk hits a great Speed tier with Choice Scarf. Sturdy enables it to survive and adds much-needed reliability to a double Choice lead that could backfire horribly. I think it's the best non-Mega option for the slot with Meowstic - Yoshi1777's team which I based this team on used Mega Kangaskhan in a similar spot, which might also work. Meowstic should be EV'd to outspeed Mega Kangaskhan in order to move before Sucker Punch hits if ran alongside it.

Gastrodon is EV'd for mixed bulk with Assault Vest, with an emphasis on Defense due to Gastrodon's lower base Defense and Assault Vest already boosting Special Defense.

In Doubles, Storm Drain stops the AI from using Water moves after its activation. In Triples, the AI's behavior depends on positioning - in short, if Gastrodon is on the left or the right and the enemy is in the center or the right, the AI behaves as if Storm Drain had never been activated. In the other cases, it behaves identically to Doubles and Water attacks stop being used. For details, see here.

Scizor replaces Aegislash from the previous version of the team. Scizor fits the team a lot better with a stronger priority attack and no EQ weakness.

Mega Salamence is the MVP of the team. It works unexpectedly well with Meowstic, and has massive comeback potential when things don't go well. Aerilate Return is equally powerful to Choice Band Brave Bird. Dragon Dance is rarely used with Leer already boosting physical attacks and its excellent 120 base Speed, but it enables sweeping in some situations.

Ideally, battles will start with Meowstic using either Leer or Fake Out while Talonflame and Sawk KO two enemies. Gastrodon is the common switch option for Talonflame - Sawk's typing isn't too great, and any of the three back-ups might replace it depending on the opposition. Meowstic typically stays in using Leer repeatedly until it dies, unless it gets Taunted. Against Sand Stream/Snow Warning leads, Meowstic clears the skies with Sunny Day; against opposing Fake Out users, Quick Guard is the go-to move.

Gastrodon and Scizor are the preferred switch options - Salamence is sometimes also switched in, but keeping it at full health gets the most out of its enormous Mega stats and it's vulnerable if brought in prior to Mega Evolution. If the leads fail, Gastrodon/Scizor/Salamence have a lot of bulk and can come back from a deficit, especially if the opponents have eaten a Leer.

Sturdy and Focus Sash are troublesome as they prevent securing OHKOs regardless of Leer. Bulky foes that survive an attack even after Leer aren't fun for the leads, though Leer stacking helps.

Calcing whether or not an attack will OHKO the enemy after Leer and moving accordingly is crucial to using the team, as missing KOs will typically result in losing Pokémon and there is no control aside from a single Fake Out user. Misplaying on Turn 1 is likely to result in disaster, as seen in some of the battle videos.
Battle video: #1000 - 4YNW-WWWW-WWXV-HJ96 vs. Dewgong/Venusaur/Shiftry/Gogoat/Feraligatr/Nidoking

Proof video.

Battle video: #757 - STRW-WWWW-WWXS-A2MG vs. Kingdra/Lapras/Ludicolo/Floatzel/Weezing/Dewgong

Storm Drain test video against Beauty Lana/Claire.

Battle video: #612 - JBWW-WWWW-WWXV-HJB3 vs. Articuno/Landorus/Heatran/Regirock/Regice/Cresselia

The closest battle in the streak and the most exciting battle video of the bunch.

Battle video: #474 - VW8W-WWWW-WWXV-HJN2 vs. Metagross/Eelektross/Dragonite/Walrein/Rhyperior/Glaceon

A messy battle with bad MUs, questionable plays, and a Meteor Mash Attack boost.

Battle video: #320 - 85EW-WWWW-WWXV-HM5D vs. Gigalith/Hippowdon/Excadrill/Tyranitar/Gliscor/Garchomp

The obligatory Worker Rasmus battle. Features Sunny Day deactivating Sand Veil and Salamence easily surviving Outrage.

Super Double battle streak lost at No. 146

Battle Video: FFAW-WWWW-WWXV-P4ZH

Salamence @ Salamencite
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Dragon Pulse
- Flamethrower
- Roost

Sylveon @ Choice Specs
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Shadow Ball
- Psyshock

Bisharp @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance

Talonflame @ Muscle Band
EVs: 216 HP / 252 Atk / 40 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Swords Dance

This team wasn't meant to be good, in fact, I don't even think I came up with the EV spread for talonflame, however I did decent with it considering I wasn't really trying, The main focus on the team was mega-mence and Sylveon lead with duo hyper voice, however, I felt that mega mence did well but it came up short in terms of damage, perhaps modest will be much better for dealing out much more damage, Hidden power ground will also do alot better than roost and talonflame will probably do better with a sky plate, or perhaps giving life orb to talon flame and Dread plate to Bisharp. Either way, pretty simple but fun team. The battle was lost due to poor plays and being over confident with what my team was capable of doing. It was amateur to say the least and I should pay a lot more attention next time.

Super Double battle streak lost at No. 146

Battle Video: FFAW-WWWW-WWXV-P4ZH

Salamence @ Salamencite
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Dragon Pulse
- Flamethrower
- Roost

Sylveon @ Choice Specs
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Shadow Ball
- Psyshock

Bisharp @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance

Talonflame @ Muscle Band
EVs: 216 HP / 252 Atk / 40 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Swords Dance

This team wasn't meant to be good, in fact, I don't even think I came up with the EV spread for talonflame, however I did decent with it considering I wasn't really trying, The main focus on the team was mega-mence and Sylveon lead with duo hyper voice, however, I felt that mega mence did well but it came up short in terms of damage, perhaps modest will be much better for dealing out much more damage, Hidden power ground will also do alot better than roost and talonflame will probably do better with a sky plate, or perhaps giving life orb to talon flame and Dread plate to Bisharp. Either way, pretty simple but fun team. The battle was lost due to poor plays and being over confident with what my team was capable of doing. It was amateur to say the least and I should pay a lot more attention next time.
Not that I'm really the person who should be telling you this. But I think you should switch Talonflames set to one like mine(below) and why does sylveon only have 3 moves? I know it's gonna be using Hyper voice 99 Percent of the time but still fill it in. I would choose swift for soundproof Pokemon and Zapdos2 and other Brightpowder and lax incense Pokemon. And I would also use those last 4 EVs on your Pokemon.

I've been playing around with a M-Gardevoir team, but I wanted to focus mainly on M-Voir so I came up with this.

Hitmontop@Sitrus berry**Spinoff(M)
Nature:Adamant
Ability:Intimidate
Fake out
Close combat
Helping hand
Protect
252hp/252Atk/4Spe

Gardevoir@Gardevoirite**Sephiran(M)
Nature:Timid
Ability:Trace-->Pixilate
Hyper Voice
Psychic
HP(Ground)
Protect
4HP/4Def/248Spa/252Spe

Liepard@Focus Sash**Heather(F)
Nature:Jolly
Ability:Prankster
Fake out
Fake tears
Encore
Charm
4HP/252Atk/252Spe

Aegislash@Leftovers**FE(F)
Nature:Modest
Ability:Stance Change
Shadow ball
Flash cannon
King's Shield
Wide Guard
252HP/252Spa/4SpDef

Landorus-T@Assault Vest**Streamerass(M)
Earthquake
U-Turn
Rock slide
Explosion
4HP/252Atk/252Spe

Talonflame@Life orb**Yune(M)
Ability:Galewings
Brave Bird
Flare Blitz
Tailwind
Protect
252HP/252Atl/4SpDef

I'm currently in the process of building it. Please, feel free to critique it:)

Last edited:
Hi. I'm basically a noob around here (in both competitive gameplay /and/ the site) but since this is where everyone posts their records, I thought I'd share my first trophy: ORAS Super Multi with AI. A lot of sites say that Multi with AI's the hardest trophy to get in the Maison, but honestly, this mode was the easiest for me to adapt. Maybe because I had an AI partner who I just had to synergize with and not start from scratch in forming teams compared to the other modes.

Video Code: 737G-WWWW-WWXV-TYCD
Current record: 99 wins

Pokemon:

Mega- Gardevoir (F) - Chianti
Item: Gardevoirite
Ability: Synchronize -> Pixilate
Nature: Naive (Bad nature, I know.)
EVs: 252 SpAtk/ 252 Spe/ 4 Def
- Hyper Voice
- Psychic
- Thunderbolt/Shadow Ball
- Protect

Milotic (M)
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Competitive
Nature: Modest (I think, can't remember atm)
EV: 236 HP/ 140 Def/ 132 SpAtk (Not sure but I remember using the VGC2015 as my basis)
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Protect
- Mirror Coat/Dragon Pulse/Bulldoze

AI Partner: Steven

Aerodactyl
Ability: Rock Head
Item: Focus Sash
- Rock Slide
- Ice Fang
- Fire Fang
- Thunder Fang

Metagross
Ability: Clear Body -> Tough Claws
Item: Metagrossite
- Bullet Punch
- Meteor Mash
- Hammer Arm
- Zen Headbutt

Since I get lazy when I get to breeding, I decided to use the Garde I had with near complete IVs despite having a not-so-great nature. Pixilate Hyper Voice was used as my base, Psychic for STAB coverage against Poison Types, Shadow Ball for those pesky Ghost types that always seem to 2HKO Metagross, and Protect because it's a must in the Maison.

Even if this is one of the most effective sweeping sets for Garde, I send in Milotic first due to its Competitive ability and because of its great bulk. It gets to tank a lot of hits while also hitting hard against those with weak special Defense. It covers the Fire weaknesses of both of Steven's Pokemon, Ground for Metagross and Rock for Aerodactyl with the reliable Scald. Grass, Flying and Dragon types are checked with Ice Beam, Protect because it's a staple and for the last slot I kept on switching between Mirror Coat, Dragon Pulse (for neutral coverage against Water and Ice), and Bulldoze (because when Aerodactyl and Milotic get paired together on the first turns they both have a glaring weakness for Electric-types).

((Since I'm a bit new to this, I didn't take note much of the combos/plays made during the streak. I'd be happy to answer questions, though.))

Few things I noted:
> Bulky/ Quick Water Types - The first time I lost my streak (it was around 46 the first time) it was because Greninja kept spamming Dark Pulse with a Milotic and Metagross lead and, despite obliterating the Veteran's team, I couldn't land a scratch on him because Milotic and Garde would keep on flinching. This time, I lost due to misplay regarding Swampert. Even back then, I didn't know how to land a hit on Water-types without relying on Mirror Coat/ Dragon Pulse.

> Protect is a must. There was one battle where all I did was (Ice Beam - Protect - Ice Beam - Protect - Ice Beam - Protect - You won!) against trainers who'd unleash nothing but Grass types. Basically, Steven did all the work there since I was too busy avoiding that Power Herb Solar Beam/Leaf Blade combo the AIs often do. xD

> Be wary of set-up Pokemon. Because having those same Pokemon hitting you with Toxic/Thunder Wave/ Hypnosis/Will-o-Wisp on the first turn is a great pain in the ass it's not even funny. Too many times I wanted to switch the Leftovers in for a Lum Berry. Good thing some of the AI are stupid enough to leave their Toxic Orb/ Flame Orb on. And Scald's really reliable in landing everyone burns.

> Ninetails (don'tknowwhatnumber). Oh Arceus, this thing's like a tank. Not only can it survive at least 3-4 turns of Scald before it gets knocked out, it also has Energy Ball which hits really hard. If I made a single wrong move while fighting this one, I /know/ I'd be dead.

> Thunder - I thought this thing had low accuracy? Why does it land on Milotic and Aerodactyle on every. Single. Turn. The same goes for Sheer Cold! Too many times my precious full-health Milotic had to go down because it always, ALWAYS, hit.

tl;dr - this noob just wants to share her happiness on getting her first Maison trophy!!!

Not that I'm really the person who should be telling you this. But I think you should switch Talonflames set to one like mine(below) and why does sylveon only have 3 moves? I know it's gonna be using Hyper voice 99 Percent of the time but still fill it in. I would choose swift for soundproof Pokemon and Zapdos2 and other Brightpowder and lax incense Pokemon. And I would also use those last 4 EVs on your Pokemon.

I've been playing around with a M-Gardevoir team, but I wanted to focus mainly on M-Voir so I came up with this.

Hitmontop@Sitrus berry**Spinoff(M)
Fake out
Close combat
Helping hand
Protect
252hp/252Atk/4Spe

Gardevoir@Gardevoirite**Sephiran(M)
Nature:Timid
Ability:Trace-->Pixilate
Hyper Voice
Psychic
HP(Ground)
Protect
4HP/4Def/248Spa/252Spe

Liepard@Focus Sash**Heather(F)
Nature:Jolly
Ability:Prankster
Fake out
Fake tears
Encore
Charm
4HP/252Atk/252Spe

Aegislash@Leftovers**FE(F)
Nature:Modest
Ability:Stance Change
Shadow ball
Flash cannon
King's Shield
Wide Guard
252HP/252Spa/4SpDef

Landorus-T@Assault Vest**Streamerass(M)
Earthquake
U-Turn
Rock slide
Explosion
4HP/252Atk/252Spe

Talonflame@Life orb**Yune(M)
Ability:Galewings
Brave Bird
Flare Blitz
Tailwind
Protect
252HP/252Atl/4SpDef

I'm currently in the process of building it. Please, feel free to critique it:)
I'm far from an expert on Triples, since I've only used one team to any success and mostly lucked my way into it. So take my concerns with a grain of salt; it's possible the team is more capable of playing around them than I realize.

In my eyes, it looks like you'd have problems with a right-side Bastiodon 4. HP Ground only manages a 2HKO against it, so if you want to take it out (which you need to, since Lando also entirely relies on spread moves), you can stop the other two leads from attacking on the first turn with Fake Out, but can't do so on the second turn, which means you risk losing Gardevoir to one of the many Poison-type moves. Nidoking and Nidoqueen come to mind as common partners for Bastiodon. You can switch to Lando-T to take the hit, but Lando can't hit a Bastiodon that spams Wide Guard (except with U-Turn, which does almost no damage). Aegislash is an amazing switch-in for Gardevoir, but even if you give it Sacred Sword to hit Bastiodon, it will probably have to take some spread Earthquakes in Blade Forme (Rhyperior 4 will always be slower than Aegislash, as will Gigalith, though Gigalith 4 is super weak).

Scizor is also a really big problem, since Technician Bullet Punch will always OHKO Mega Gardevoir (and I'm pretty sure it will always pick Bullet Punch for the priority OHKO). All of your back-ups take the hit easily, but you always run the risk of them having to take multiple hits, especially considering that the other two leads can't do much of damage (except Hitmontop on Fighting-weak opponents and super frail stuff).

I think Starmie 4 is a huge asshole who could cause you a lot of problems if it comes out after the first turn (thanks to King's Rock Surf having a flinch chance), especially because Talonflame's Brave Bird has less than a 50% chance to OHKO. Aegislash beats it soundly (if she doesn't flinch), but worries about not being able to Protect Lando-T with Wide Guard (or Starmie using Ice Beam, which Lando can't block anyway, though it will usually survive with Assault Vest...if it doesn't flinch or freeze).

I'm not convinced that Explosion and U-Turn are that good on Lando. U-Turn might fall into the "better than its other options" category (I see Knock Off as the other dominant choice), but Explosion has problems on Lickilicky, and Lickilicky was MADE to use Explosion. I can't imagine it being super useful on Lando-T. That said, it does hit 67% harder than STAB EQ, so maybe it's worth it. The alternative would be Protect (baiting Ice-moves), which would obviously require a different item.

Leftovers is pretty bad in Triples. I'm guessing the Pokemon Lando-T will U-turn out to the most is Aegislash, meaning Aegislash will have to tank Ice moves (and potentially special Fire-type moves as well). Maybe give Aegislash a Lum Berry to deal with status on the switch? Avoiding burns from Fire-moves it has to take in Shield Forme before attacking is also nice, even for special Aegislash.

Be wary against Gengar, since Sludge Bomb has a small chance to OHKO 4 HP Gardevoir (and will usually knock Gard out by the end of the turn if it Poisons). Froslass is super weak and can't OHKO even with a crit, but it will always 2HKO, and Cursed Body can disable Hyper Voice (and gets two chances to do so, thanks to Focus Sash + your other two leads being unable to hurt it).

Obviously, since this is Triples, you can play around a lot of those problems and usually come out on top; I don't think you'd have a ton of problems getting to a few hundred wins. I'm just concerned about the lack of firepower against bulky Steels, especially if Lando goes down, and I'd imagine Workers would give you some of your biggest problems. Psychics also cause a few issues, between bulky Ghosts who hit Gard super-effectively (and Chandelure resists Hyper Voice), Trick Room users, and annoying crap like Inner Focus Alakazam and Froslass. Aegislash's Wide Guard is an incredible boost to the team (IMO), but it seems like it might be tough to have Aegislash out at the times you really need to use it.

I could be wrong, but I don't see Charm being all that useful on Liepard. Protect, on the other hand, seems like it would be amazing, as Liepard is incredibly frail and makes great bait.

Good luck!

Thanks, I'll definetly take all of this into consideration. I chose charm because I wanted M-gardevoir to be the star and last as long as possible, but with liepard frailty it might do better just baiting in attacks. I'm not sure but I don't think Scizors bullet punch will OHKO at -1(Correct me if I'm wrong) so no matter where it is I can always switch to Landorus-t to lower it's attack. But I'll definetly make sure to keep my eye out for those pokemon you mention. Thanks, I'll post again when I get a streak going.

NoCheese , I'm a girl; your link to my post about losing with Dragonite/Aegislash/MegaKhan says "how he lost".

Anyway, I'm at 172 wins with Durant/Cloyster/Drapion. I wasn't planning to post until I got to 200 wins or lost again, and I'm absolutely not going to make any comments about it at this point to avoid jinxing myself, but I just had the closest battle all run and I have to share it. No time to do a full write-up because I have to go to band practice now but oh my GOD this video needs to be seen to be believed, just what the actual fuck happened here and how did I win????
LUBG-WWWW-WWXV-UQVQ
Basically Blaziken1 kills itself with High Jump Kick against Drapion (somehow I didn't realize it had High Jump Kick even though I briefly glanced over the set, would've gone to Cloyster instead of Drapion if I knew) and Drapion is left against Curse/Rest/Earthquake/Waterfall Swampert. The AI is a nightmare here and, especially towards the end, completely unpredictable, but somehow I manage to get Cloyster fully set up with the Sash still intact against something that's got several Curse boosts (I didn't keep track) and which finished Swampert and one-hits the Delphox that follows. Crazy intense battle, my heart was pounding and it didn't help I was called away to do something for a few minutes in the middle of Drapion's attempts to stall out Earthquake. To anyone else, what would you have done here? I'm sure I misplayed somewhere - won, but probably still misplayed - and I'd like to hear alternative strategies.

NoCheese , I'm a girl; your link to my post about losing with Dragonite/Aegislash/MegaKhan says "how he lost".

Anyway, I'm at 172 wins with Durant/Cloyster/Drapion. I wasn't planning to post until I got to 200 wins or lost again, and I'm absolutely not going to make any comments about it at this point to avoid jinxing myself, but I just had the closest battle all run and I have to share it. No time to do a full write-up because I have to go to band practice now but oh my GOD this video needs to be seen to be believed, just what the actual fuck happened here and how did I win????
LUBG-WWWW-WWXV-UQVQ
Basically Blaziken1 kills itself with High Jump Kick against Drapion (somehow I didn't realize it had High Jump Kick even though I briefly glanced over the set, would've gone to Cloyster instead of Drapion if I knew) and Drapion is left against Curse/Rest/Earthquake/Waterfall Swampert. The AI is a nightmare here and, especially towards the end, completely unpredictable, but somehow I manage to get Cloyster fully set up with the Sash still intact against something that's got several Curse boosts (I didn't keep track) and which finished Swampert and one-hits the Delphox that follows. Crazy intense battle, my heart was pounding and it didn't help I was called away to do something for a few minutes in the middle of Drapion's attempts to stall out Earthquake. To anyone else, what would you have done here? I'm sure I misplayed somewhere - won, but probably still misplayed - and I'd like to hear alternative strategies.
Awesome battle! Can't say I remember facing Lead Blaziken 1, but I've more likely just been lazy and set Cloyster up against it because I assumed it was set 4. I wouldn't be surprised if Blaziken lets Cloyster set up all the way by using Flamethrower, which definitely KOs at -1 Sp. Def, instead of HJK. The Breeders' lineups are nonthreatening enough that I set up Cloyster because none of the Pokemon have evasion items and Drapion can take care of something like Empoleon.

I'd maybe have alternated Sub and Acupressure after the first HJK for a few turns to see if I could grab a beneficial boost, the idea being that a Defense boost would've made Blaziken switch to Flamethrower and a Speed boost would've had wait to use Sub until an attacking turn to see if I could block a W-o-W. Once Swampert was out, that was about as well as you could handled it. Once it ran out of Waterfall Earthquake, Cloyster was definitely gonna be able to set up.

Last edited:

LUBG-WWWW-WWXV-UQVQ
I'm at work and can't watch this right now, but I have to say that I feel a strange delight at having seen this, because I have literally never fought a lead Blaziken 1. I've theorized about it and planned what I would do (which I think was like, "use Memento and Entrainment and set up against it without using Protect and hope I get the right boosts before it kills itself, or that it manages not to miss twice"), but I haven't fought against it in over 4000 battles with my team. Well done!

EDIT: Just watched the battle; I noticed that Drapion's move sequence was Sub-Protect-Acupressure-Protect. I'm not sure if that's typical for you or not, but Sub-Protect-Acupressure-Acupressure conserves PP and helps guarantee you get the full set-up (helpful against stuff like Lucario 4 with Aura Sphere if you don't get SpDef boosts). I generally only use Protect every other turn against stuff with Taunt or a sound-based move (like Bug Buzz), and, in some rare cases, Explosion users who I think will go boom early (Cryogonal especially, but Cryogonal is Cloyster bait for you).

Last edited:
I reeeally want to see this video as I soon want to try a truAnt, but my game says it can't be played, which I assume is because I dont have ORAS and you do. Anyway, if possible, could you record it and post it on this thread. If you cant, I would love if you could explain to me what happened, step by step. Thanks.

I did do it on ORAS, but I'm not sure how much of a difference that should have made, considering I didn't use anything ORAS-exclusive. But I've also never tried to play any ORAS vids on X/Y, so maybe they just don't let you play them?? I have no idea. But here's a write-up anyway, helps me get my own thoughts around it if nothing else.

Vs. Breeder Lalaini (can use all 4 sets of starter Pokémon), Durant vs. Blaziken (unknown set)
1. Durant uses Entrainment before being killed by Blaziken's Flamethrower. This marks it as Set1 (HJK, Flamethrower, Counter, Will-o-Wisp), which I realize, but miss HJK on the set. I send in Drapion to replace it - typical protocol against a lead that kills Durant, as a fully set up Drapion is pretty much unstoppable and therefore not as much of a risk as Cloyster is.
2. Blaziken Truant, Drapion Sub
3. Drapion Protect, Blaziken HJK, down to 50%. "Oh shit, this means I can't set up fully, nor can I set up Cloyster even if I switch it in now. I'll just keep going, I guess, see what Acupressure brings and the next Pokémon is."
4. Blaziken Truant, Drapion Acupressure, +2 Accuracy
5. Drapion Protect, Blaziken HJK, Blaziken dead, unknown set Swampert in. Drapion is now back to full health with Leftovers behind an undamaged Sub, so that's an excellent start even with no useful boosts.
6. Drapion Knock Off, Swampert at around 60%, knocked off Swampert's Chesto Berry (set4, which is Curse/Rest/Waterfall/EQ), Swampert uses Curse (#1)
7. Drapion Knock Off, Swampert at around 40%, Swampert Rest, Swampert at full health
8. Drapion Knock Off, Swampert at around 80%, Swampert sleeps
9. Drapion Acupressure, +2 Speed, Swampert sleeps
10. Drapion Knock Off, Swampert at around 55%, Swampert wakes up, uses Curse (#2)
11. Drapion Knock Off, Swampert at like exactly 50%, Swampert Earthquake, breaks Drapion's Sub
12-16. Cycle of Protect and Sub (which is broken) every turn to PP waste EQ. Total of 6 EQs lost to this.
17. Drapion Sub, Swampert Rest.
18. Drapion Acupressure, +2 Special Attack, Swampert sleeps
19. Drapion Acupressure, +2 Speed, Swampert sleeps
20. Drapion Acupressure, +2 Attack, Swampert wakes up, uses Earthquake (#7), breaks Drapion's Sub (Should have used Knock Off at some point but was more desperate for miracle evasion or Defense boosts)
21. Drapion Sub (should have Protected but I don't know that it would have made a difference in the long run), Swampert Earthquake (#8), breaks Sub
22. Drapion Protect, Swampert Earthquake (#9)
23. Drapion Sub, Swampert Earthquake (#10), Sub breaks. I'm now at 78/177 HP after Leftovers.
24-28. Cycle of Protect and Sub (which is broken) as Swampert uses Waterfall. I can't PP stall it at this point, so I'm not sure what I'm trying to accomplish except buying time in case something crazy happens.
29. Drapion Sub down to 1 HP, Swampert Waterfall, Sub breaks
30. Drapion Protect, Swampert Waterfall
31. I can't make another Sub, I'll die to Waterfall, and I don't want to risk a double Protect (even though Drapion actually managed to pull off a triple Protect at one point many battles ago). I do the only thing I can and +2 Knock Off into Swampert's +2 Defense, bringing it down to about 75%. Swampert kills with Waterfall. Maybe having lower HP will convince Swampert to Rest??
32. Cloyster in. Protect as Swampert uses Rest. Oh god excellent.
33. Cloyster Shell Smash (#1), Swampert sleeps
34. Cloyster Icicle Spear (to perhaps convince it to Rest again - I've since learned my mistake from the earlier triple Acupressure), Swampert at about 45%, Swampert sleeps
35. Cloyster Protect, Swampert wakes up, uses Rest
36. Cloyster Shell Smash (#2), Swampert sleeps
37. Cloyster Shell Smash (#3), Swampert sleeps. The question on this turn: Shell Smash or Icicle Spear? I fear Icicle Spear might kill and I absolutely don't want to be up against a mystery third with only two boosts when that third could be Samurott or Blastoise or something, but if I Shell Smash then I risk Swampert waking up and hitting me to the Sash the following turn (as it won't know to Rest even if I use Icicle Spear). After much deliberation I decide the extra Smash is more important.
38. Cloyster Protect, Swampert wakes up, uses CURSE (#3, but what the ACTUAL FUCK it has only used 7 Waterfall and I have -3 Defense to your +2 Attack what the HELL IS THE POINT OF THIS)
39. Cloyster Icicle Spear, Swampert at about 5%, "okay I'll kill it next turn but I'll be at my Sash" - Swampert USES CURSE AGAIN
40. Cloyster Icicle Spear, Swampert dead
41. Cloyster is full health with Sash intact and +6 Speed/+6 Attack. The Surf on Delphox the following turn is a mere formality.

I had no idea how to deal with this AI and was just doing what I could to stall in the hopes it might do something like inexplicably Curse again on Drapion. Well it didn't on Drapion, but what the fuck why did it Curse twice more on Cloyster when Waterfall was (probably) a guaranteed KO with its +2 Attack against Cloyster's -3 Defense I have no idea how I'm supposed to feel about that except for "holy shit I won that battle and I totally should not except for the AI being merciful I guess?????"

EDIT: VaporeonIce , my typical set-up is indeed Sub-Protect-Acupressure-Protect. I usually use Protect on attacking turns until I get at least one evasion boost, one defensive boost (depends on the enemy's attacks), and, if necessary, enough Speed to outspeed. I haven't had a problem with running out of Protects before, since this usually happens early enough that I still have a reasonable amount of Protects left, and if it doesn't, I don't need many more turns to finish the set-up anyway. 75% of the time I'm setting up Cloyster, but when I do set up Drapion, I very, very rarely fail to complete the set-up (the video I posted is one instance where I was left scrambling afterward, because it was unexpected that I'd only have one boost going into poke #2), so I wouldn't say my method is very bad necessarily, but I also completely see the merit in yours. (It certainly might have helped me out here!) I just like to avoid having Drapion lose HP or Subs if I can help it... perhaps a holdover from the set-up days of gen 4 Registeel where crits were actually a threat

Last edited:

turskain

activated its Quick Claw!
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Cloyster has a lot of Defense.

+2 0 Atk Swampert Waterfall vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Cloyster: 29-35 (23.2 - 28%)
+2 0 Atk Swampert Waterfall vs. -3 0 HP / 0 Def Cloyster: 73-87 (58.4 - 69.6%)
+3 0 Atk Swampert Waterfall vs. -3 0 HP / 0 Def Cloyster: 92-108 (73.6 - 86.4%)

Cursing twice in a row over attacking with calcs like that sounds a little lucky, but not too unreasonable. When Cloyster was at full Defense earlier, Curse/Rest were more likely, so smashing right away and not Protecting at any point would've also been possible. At T38, +6 Spear would've also OHKO'd as the later 5% survival at 3 Curses showed.

I think the lesson here is to always do damage calculations in bad situations, and keep track of enemy boosts. If the Curse boosts were unknown when bringing in Cloyster, they could've also been determined by calcing the damage Knock Off or Icicle Spear did to it earlier.

You know, after writing up the battle summary I started to wonder if Swampert had Cursed to try to guarantee the KO on Cloyster, but for whatever reason it didn't occur to me to actually check. Well, that's definitely something to keep in mind. I would have used Icicle Spear at T38 if I could have confirmed the KO, but again, I'd missed how many boosts Swampert had actually received and really wanted to avoid risking anything if I could help it. I ended up winning the battle, but you are entirely correct I need to pay more attention to these things, hehe.

EDIT: Battle 199: Forgot to save a video but -
Drapion switches into Hippowdon because of its having Sand Stream and wanting to preserve Cloyster's Sash. I have the option to just switch in Cloyster, but decide to just set up Drapion instead. Hippowdon gets up 6 Curses as Drapion gets fully set up and I don't realize the impact until Knock Off fails to kill Hippowdon as it Rests, leading to three Rest cycles. I decide "one crit is all I need, I'll run until Knock Off gets low on PP and then switch to Cloyster if I haven't gotten a crit and kill". The switch to Cloyster happens, but I end up misplaying around Truant because I forget what turns it activates, and the result is Cloyster going down to 2 HP from Crunch. Icicle Spear is a handy KO, but what's next?... Sand Stream Tyranitar, that's what. Really? Cloyster OHKO's with Icicle Spear and dies to Sandstorm. Durant comes out to Entrain whatever the third thing is so Drapion can alternate Protect-Knock Off on it. It's Skarmory, which Spikes on the entrainment, so Drapion takes damage from Spikes and Sandstorm on the switch, uses Knock Off, is Whirlwinded out, then Durant uses Rock Slide, is Whirlwinded out, and Drapion kills with two more Knock Offs. Whew!! Crazy battle.

Battle 200:
GBUW-WWWW-WW2W-WGRY
Only posting for posterity - it was completely uneventful. After Shiftry is a nuisance with Fake Out and Protect, Durant finally gets an Entrainment up, so Cloyster comes in, sets up, and one-shots Shiftry, Tangrowth, and Vileplume. Could not be more boring... a relief for me after battle #172 from earlier and battle #199.

I can't take a picture right now because my phone is not going to react well to sending pictures on its current data cycle. Instead, I'll take one with my sister's phone tomorrow afternoon (if she lets me). But yeah, that's it, I'm done, I'm done, no more Battle Maison for me unless I decide to be masochistic again but that's all I needed to do to allow me to sleep at night, and now Omega Ruby is on the road to being 100% complete in that way I could never achieve with Platinum. Now I just need to finish the Pokédex (most of what I'm missing is event stuff that I own but am hoping are released for sixth gen), run through contests with some more Pokémon, and get all the ribbons on my 2004 Latios and Rayquaza and that's it then this game will be complete and it will be fucking awesome. Thank you Smogon and thank you everyone in this thread for being awesome and having such great strategies and being willing to talk to me about them (especially VaporeonIce , turskain , and ~Mercury~ for your in-depth comments over PM)! Love you all.

Last edited:
Thanks for the write up. The vids still dont work though. IMO whirlwinders/roarers are some of the worst opponents, as they go through protect and make you lose all your boosts, especially skarmory which can set up hazards, luckily it has no attacks. Good luck with your streak! I'd love to see you make it to 1000+.

All I wanted to do was score 200 for the Starf Berry, but maybe after I've spent some time away from the Maison I'll come back and see just how far I can take it. Maybe. :p

Thanks for the write up. The vids still dont work though. IMO whirlwinders/roarers are some of the worst opponents, as they go through protect and make you lose all your boosts, especially skarmory which can set up hazards, luckily it has no attacks. Good luck with your streak! I'd love to see you make it to 1000+.
The 5 streaks I've gotten with this team have been 971, 563, 52, and 2 that were somewhere in the high 400s and low 500s. Losses have been to: Prankster Taunt from Tornadus/Thundurus leads followed up by bulky Ice resists, Fake Out followed by crit from Reckless Mienshao lead (which I still could have won but the 3rd Pokemon Bright Powdered Cloyster and Swaggered Drapion), Speed Boost Yanmega lead, and Lax Incense Cobalion coming out 2nd, KOing Cloyster by avoiding Surf, hitting it with Swagger, and setting up a Sub as Cloyster hit itself twice in a row, KOing Durant, getting all its Iron Head PP stalled by Drapion, and then KOing Drapion by hitting it with Swagger and getting another 2 consecutive confusion hits. I'm not super optimistic about the prospect of someone avoiding that kind of luck for 1,000 straight (felt as though the 971 streak was already pretty lucky in that regard). But it's definitely good at getting you to Starf Berry range in about 7-8 hours of play time while being less of a risk than some generic bulky offense team.

Last edited:
The 5 streaks I've gotten with this team have been 971, 563, 52, and 2 that were somewhere in the high 400s and low 500s. Losses have been to: Prankster Taunt from Tornadus/Thundurus leads followed up by bulky Ice resists, Fake Out followed by crit from Reckless Mienshao lead (which I still could have won but the 3rd Pokemon Bright Powdered Cloyster and Swaggered Drapion), Speed Boost Yanmega lead, and Lax Incense Cobalion coming out 2nd, KOing Cloyster by avoiding Surf, hitting it with Swagger, and setting up a Sub as Cloyster hit itself twice in a row, KOing Durant, getting all its Iron Head PP stalled by Drapion, and then KOing Drapion by hitting it with Swagger and getting another 2 consecutive confusion hits. I'm not super optimistic about the prospect of someone avoiding that kind of luck for 1,000 straight (felt as though the 971 streak was already pretty lucky in that regard). But it's definitely good at getting you to Starf Berry range in about 7-8 hours of play time while being less of a risk than some generic bulky offense team.
I didn't realize Tornadus/Thundurus 4 would Taunt Durant, given that both of them have a pretty high chance to OHKO a 220/0 Durant without a crit. That doesn't work out so well. I wonder if they'd always go for the OHKO if it were guaranteed?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 7)