ORAS OU Sandy Days in OU by Naminé

Introduction:
helped by Meloetta<3
Hi welcome to my RMT called Sandy Days in Overused. I wanted to create a Sandstorm-based team to find out if weather is still viable in todays metagame. I also like to use Sandstorm because it damages many opponents helping to wear down teams. I tried to create an all-round team that is balanced which does not get damaged by the Sand itself but I also tried to not make the team too dependant on the sand. Sandstorm also helps making Rock-types bulkier because it raises their Special Defense which is helpful.

Teambuilding Process:

While building a Sand team the first Pokemon you're choosing is obviously a Sand Stream user. I wanted to use a Pokemon that could set up sand, but is also good at setting hazards. Hippowdon and Tyranitar both fitted this role, however I preferred to use two Sand Stream users to help the weather stay active longer. Hippowdon became my wall, and Tyranitar became my Choice Scarf sweeper.

I then needed to go for a Pokémon that hits big threats hard and can act as a pivot while still being immune to the sand. Scizor fitted this role perfectly, as due to it's offensive capabilities it's a strong Pokemon.

I then wanted a Magic Bounce user because I did not want to run Defog, considering it erases the Stealth Rock I obviously wanted to set up. Diancie was the only Pokemon that fitted this role, due to its Rock-type. I also needed a Mega-Pokemon, because every team obviously runs that. Fairy was also a type I wanted to use on my team because it can hit many things hard.

I then wanted a revenge killer. I figured Alakazam could fit this role perfectly with its Magic Guard ability, making it immune to Sandstorm damage. Also, its high speed and special attack allow it to hit hard.

As many teams do, mine needed a wallbreaker and a Defog user, even though I actually did not want to use one I stil needed it. I chose Mandibuzz because it is bulky, has a recovering move and I didn't want to use too many Rock-type Pokemon, to avoid being incredibly weak to Ground-type moves, Water-type moves, etcetera.

Because my team had a great weakness to Water-types I replaced Alakazam with Latios. Latios can still act as a revenge killer and cripple walls using Trick.

Tyranitar seemed the weakest link on my team. Scizor, Latios and Diancie already fulfilled its role and its Sand giving is already done by Hippowdon. Tyranitar switches in mostly when the Sand is already up meaning it doesn't add anything new. I decided to replace it with Excadrill because it hits really hard and is extremely fast in the turns when Sand is up. Using Excadrill my team is less weak to Grass and it can also damage water types hard after a Swords Dance

The team:

Hippowdon
Hippowdon (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
Shiney: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Slack Off
- Whirlwind

Hippowdon is mainly there to set up Stealth Rock and being bulky. It sets up sand which helps damaging opponents. With this spread it can survive a lot of things making it my mixed wall, it is able to survive a Close Combat from Terrakion, and HP Ice from Life Orb Thundurus, Mega-Manectric and Raikou. Earthquake is to do decent damage. Stealth Rock as my hazards. Slack Off is to make sure it survives long. And finallyWhirlwind to get rid of set-up sweepers and other threats as well as to get hazard damage. Leftovers are used so that the Pokémon has more survivability.

Excadrill
Excadrill (M) @ Air Balloon
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Swords Dance

Excadrill can do amazing amounts of damage. Earthquake is its most powerful STAB move. Iron Head can be used against Fairy-types, especially because Scizor's Bullet Punch is not able to OHKO all of them like Azumarill. Rock Slide is for coverage so it is not walled by Talonflame and Charizard. The Adamant Nature is to hit as hard as possible. The Air Balloon gives it a free switch-in on Earthquake locked Pokémon like Choice Scarf and Choice Band Landorus-Therian and Garchomp. Sand Rush makes it fast in the few turns that Sand is up. But even after that Excadrill can still wreck some teams so make sure it kills the most dangerous threats in the few turns of sandy weather.

Scizor
Scizor (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Superpower
- Pursuit

Scizor can do some huge damage. Bullet Punch is it's priority move tackling Fairies. U-turn is for pivotting properties as well as damaging. Superpower is mainly as coverage versus Dark-types and Pursuit to trap. The spread is to make it bulky and hit hard as well as to outspeed a few other Pokemon, mainly with the same base speed. Choice Band is to make the Pokemon's attack stat 1.5x higher.

Diancie
Diancie @ Diancite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 80 Atk / 252 SpA / 176 Spe
Naive Nature
- Moonblast
- Diamond Storm
- Earth Power
- Heal Bell

Diancie is a hard hitting pokemon. Its Mega-Ability Magic Bounce helps a lot versus opponent hazard setters and wall Pokemon that use moves like Thunder Wave and Will-o-Wisp. Calm Mind is to make it hit harder. Moonblast is its mainattacking move hitting Fighting-, Dragon- and Dark types and hitting hard to anything that does not resist it. Diamond Storm and Earth Power are for coverage hitting Pokemon like Heatran, Charizard and Talonflame hard which would wall Moonblast. Diamond Storm is also to hit special walls that have a relatively low physical defense like Chansey. Heal Bell helps clean up annoying status effects and also cleans up any status Diancie might have gotten before it Mega-Evolved. The spread is to outspeed Pokemons with 100 Base Speed, mainly being Jirachi, Celebi, Charizard, Zapdos, Victini and Volcarona. The maximumSpecial Attack is for maximum damage with Moonblast. The Attack EVs is to hit things harder with Diamond Storm. Diancite is used to make the Pokémon Mega-evolve.

Latios
Latios @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 29 HP / 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Thunderbolt
- Roost

Latios is my revenge killer. Max speed makes sure it outspeeds other 110 base Speed Pokémon. Draco Meteor is to hit anything hard that is not fairy or steel. Psyshock is to hit Fighting types like Keldeo and Terrakion. Thunderbolt is to hit Water-Types hard and Flying types such as Gyarados, Skarmory, Talonflame and Mandibuzz. Roost helps it to stay alive longer especially since I use it on a sand team. Life Orb makes Latios hit really hard because it makes its attacks 30% stronger.

Mandibuzz
Mandibuzz (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 248 HP / 136 Def / 108 SpD / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Foul Play
- Roost
- Taunt
- Defog

Mandibuzz is a wall breaker as well as being annoying. Its Ability makes it immune to Hail and Sandstorm damage as well as Spore. The spread is to survive several threats as well as to outspeed certain Pokemon such as Heatran and Skarmory. Foul Play is to damage opponents. Roost is to make sure it stays alive. Taunt is to break walls such as Heatran and Skarmory because it stops them from using moves such as Protect, Roost, Substitute, Stealth Rock, Roar, Whirlwind. Defog is a helpful move that is almost becoming a standard on teams. The 0 Atk IVs and the Bold Nature is to lower damage taken from confusion and Foul Play. Leftovers helps its survivability.

Hippowdon (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Slack Off
- Whirlwind

Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Swords Dance

Scizor (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Superpower
- Pursuit

Diancie @ Diancite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 80 Atk / 252 SpA / 176 Spe
Naive Nature
- Moonblast
- Diamond Storm
- Earth Power
- Heal Bell

Latios @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Thunderbolt
- Roost

Mandibuzz (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 248 HP / 136 Def / 108 SpD / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: null Atk
- Foul Play
- Roost
- Taunt
- Defog

The end
Thanks for checking it, please leave suggestions in the replies!

Last edited:

ryo yamada2001

ryo yamada2001
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
this should be tagged ORAS OU by the way

I recommend 252 Speed EVs on Scizor by the way, you're pretty slow now
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP

Hey there. Great team. You should run 252 speed on Diancie so it's in a better speed tier. You also want a defogger or spinner. You could give either scizor or mandibuzz defog. However the best spinner for a sand team is excadrill. You also would probably want something to hut bulky waters or just a switch into them as 3 of your pokmeon are weak to water, alakazam is frail anyways, scizor would not like switching into scalds and mandibuzz will get worn out quite easily if it has to switch into them all the time. For that reason you probably want to run a serperior. Hope I could help.

Hi there.

I am thinking of keeping the same EV spread on Diancie because it outspeeds the things it should outspeed already and it needs to hit a bit harder with Diamond Storm.

A Defog / Rapid Spin user doesn't seem all that important because I only have 1 Pokémon that is weak to Stealth Rock. I am however willing to put Defog on Mandibuzz or use Excadrill but I have no idea which Pokémon I should replace with Excadrill and I fear that Defog will hurt me more then help me because it will remove my own Stealth Rock. Also using Defog on Scizor isn't really a good option because it is a Choice Band user.

I do see that my team is pretty weak to Water-types however I don't know what I should do against it. I could run Ferrothorn but then I would have to replace either Hippowdon or Scizor. I am willing to replace Scizor but I prefer to keep both Hippowdon and Tyranitar on my team. I could also try to run Grass Knott on Alakazam instead of Hidden Power Ice or I could use Gastrodon but I again would not know which Pokémon I'd have to replace with Gastrodon.

Thanks for your reply though.

Hi there.

I am thinking of keeping the same EV spread on Diancie because it outspeeds the things it should outspeed already and it needs to hit a bit harder with Diamond Storm.

A Defog / Rapid Spin user doesn't seem all that important because I only have 1 Pokémon that is weak to Stealth Rock. I am however willing to put Defog on Mandibuzz or use Excadrill but I have no idea which Pokémon I should replace with Excadrill and I fear that Defog will hurt me more then help me because it will remove my own Stealth Rock. Also using Defog on Scizor isn't really a good option because it is a Choice Band user.

I do see that my team is pretty weak to Water-types however I don't know what I should do against it. I could run Ferrothorn but then I would have to replace either Hippowdon or Scizor. I am willing to replace Scizor but I prefer to keep both Hippowdon and Tyranitar on my team. I could also try to run Grass Knott on Alakazam instead of Hidden Power Ice or I could use Gastrodon but I again would not know which Pokémon I'd have to replace with Gastrodon.

Thanks for your reply though.
You're right about the Choice Band I should've mentioned that you would have to take off the band and probably run a bulky set, sorry about that. It might not seem like a weakness but trust me, the chip damage from stealth rock and spikes really hampers a team. You could replace Alakazam with a scarfed Latios. This helps soften the water weakness and also gives you something that is faster while potentially hitting harder if you choose to run Modest as a nature.

Here is a set:
Latios @ Choice Scarf
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power Fire/ Earthquake/ Grass Knot
- Trick
Trick helps in crippling walls while Grass Knot helps cover your water weakness. It's perfect for countering Keldeo with psyshock.

I think you should keep scizor as otherwise you lose a priority. Running Defog on Mandibuzz would work well. You could however, run an excadrill over mandi but that would simply add to your water weakness.

You're right about the Choice Band I should've mentioned that you would have to take off the band and probably run a bulky set, sorry about that. It might not seem like a weakness but trust me, the chip damage from stealth rock and spikes really hampers a team. You could replace Alakazam with a scarfed Latios. This helps soften the water weakness and also gives you something that is faster while potentially hitting harder if you choose to run Modest as a nature.

Here is a set:
Latios @ Choice Scarf
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power Fire/ Earthquake/ Grass Knot
- Trick
Trick helps in crippling walls while Grass Knot helps cover your water weakness. It's perfect for countering Keldeo with psyshock.

I think you should keep scizor as otherwise you lose a priority. Running Defog on Mandibuzz would work well. You could however, run an excadrill over mandi but that would simply add to your water weakness.
Ok thank you for your reply.
I just changed my Alakazam to the following Latios set:
Latios @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Grass Knot
- Trick

I want to use Defog on Mandibuzz but I don't know if I should replace Foul Play or Knock off. I could theoretically use Defog over Grass Knot on Latios, because Draco Meteor will hit most Water types harder. I only have a small problem with Latios which is that it gets crippled by the sand but it should not matter too much.

Last edited:
Ok thank you for your reply.
I just changed my Alakazam to the following Latios set:
Latios @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Grass Knot
- Trick

I want to use Defog on Mandibuzz but I don't know if I should replace Foul Play or Knock off. I could theoretically use Defog over Grass Knot on Latios.
You're welcome! I think you should replace knock off as that way you can still run 0 ivs and evs and take less damage from foul play and confusion. You could run it on Latios. That way you could run a secondary water resist in serperior or ferrothorn. If water does not bother you that much the you can run excadrill over mandibuzz.

You're welcome! I think you should replace knock off as that way you can still run 0 ivs and evs and take less damage from foul play and confusion. You could run it on Latios. That way you could run a secondary water resist in serperior or ferrothorn. If water does not bother you that much the you can run excadrill over mandibuzz.
Ok thank you. I will run Defog over Knock Off and run Bold Nature + 0 IVs on Mandibuzz. I don't want to create a bigger water weakness because water is a type that is very common. I can always switch Hippowdon back in to use Stealth Rock because it is bulky enough to stay alive for some turns.

I am thinking of using Heal Bell over Calm Mind on Diancie though, because my team doesn't like getting a status on all my Pokémon.

I'm changing Grass Knot on Latios to Energy Ball because it does more Reliable damage.

Last edited:
Hey there! Nice team you got, but i have some suggestions that may help you. Since you have dual sand inducers, i think you should try out excadrill over scizor. You said you use it for checking fairies. Exca does that along with providing you with a win condition against offense which you seem to struggle against a bit. This also gives you another revenge killer, so you can change your Latios' set to LO. This obviously makes you even more weak to water types especially Azumarill. CB azu basically gets one kill every time it gets in. You may try passho-berry on exca but i dont think thats a very good idea.
Now, onto lati, you may try LO 3 attacks with Roost with Thunder Bolt as the third attack, to help against water-types.
Also, if you are willing to keep Scizor, give it 56 speed EVs to outspeed standard azumarill. Hope i helped :)
  • Exca > scizor
Excadrill @ Air Balloon / Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Swords Dance
  • Latios with Life Orb
Latios (M) @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
IVs: 29 HP
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Thunderbolt
- Roost

Ok thank you. I will run Defog over Knock Off and run Bold Nature + 0 IVs on Mandibuzz. I don't want to create a bigger water weakness because water is a type that is very common. I can always switch Hippowdon back in to use Stealth Rock because it is bulky enough to stay alive for some turns.

I am thinking of using Heal Bell over Calm Mind on Diancie though, because my team doesn't like getting a status on all my Pokémon.

I'm changing Grass Knot on Latios to Energy Ball because it does more Reliable damage.
Heal Bell on Diancie could work. Energy Ball was a good switch. I was thinking that if you wanted to run defog on Latios, you could run a celebi instead of Mandibuzz.

Celebi @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 148 Def / 108 Spe
Bold Nature
- Aromatherapy/ Recover
- Baton Pass/ Recover
- Giga Drain
- Nasty Plot

This can serve as your cleric as well as baton pass nasty plot boosts to both Latios and Diancie or set up itself. It also has relatively good synergy with tyranitar, giving you another water resist and taking on ground and fighting moves for ttar where as ttar can take flying, fire, dark and ghost. Recover is usually crucial but the main aim is pretty much aromatherapy. This allows you to run rock polish on diancie making it really scary.

What Yippeee said helps with the celebi idea. However, with all due respect, I still think you should run energy ball as you want to hit rotom, swampert and the rare unaware quag for super effective damage. This does mean that you will be losing a priority, unfortunately.

Ok thank you guys again.

I'll run Heal Bell on Diancie.
I changed Latios's set to this Life Ord set:
Latios (M) @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Energy Ball
- Roost
I assume the HP IVs is for Life Orb?
I want to keep Scizor however it is not able to OHKO Azumarill. But I don't want to have too much of a water weakness. I also like to keep Scizor because it is a nice Pivot. Even though I could run Excadrill with Rapid Spin making it able for Mandibuzz to use Knock Off again. However I like to keep a priority move.
I don't really want to use Celebii because it is a less good wallbreaker then Mandibuzz. Also Celebii is pretty weak against Dark and Bug moves which are quite common, almost every team runs Knock Off or Sucker Punch.

Ok thank you guys again.

I'll run Heal Bell on Diancie.
I changed Latios's set to this Life Ord set:
Latios (M) @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
IVs: 29 HP
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Energy Ball
- Roost
I assume the HP IVs is for Life Orb?
I want to keep Scizor however it is not able to OHKO Azumarill. But I don't want to have too much of a water weakness. I also like to keep Scizor because it is a nice Pivot.
I don't really want to use Celebii because it is a less good wallbreaker then Mandibuzz.
Fair enough. I just checked, you'll require mandibuzz, scizor and latios to deal with landorus-I. Good luck!

No offense man, but i still think t.bolt is better as Draco already deals more damage than energy ball to rotom-w.
252 SpA Life Orb Latios Draco Meteor vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-W: 261-308 (86.1 - 101.6%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
(261, 263, 266, 270, 273, 277, 278, 282, 285, 289, 292, 294, 298, 300, 304, 308)

It also OHKOs Quagsire after rocks and deals heavy damage to swampert, not that they are relevant in ou. While Thunder bolt helps you against Skarmory, which is seeing a lot of use these days and can wall most of your team.

Ok fair enough yippeee. Thunderbolt will indeed help my team since it also hits other things hard. Thank you for calculating that damage showing that Energy Ball isn't completelly necassary. I'll run Thunderbolt instead of Energy Ball on Latios. You are right that Swampert isn't seen that often and Mandibuzz and Scizor should be able to deal with it eitherway.

No offense man, but i still think t.bolt is better as Draco already deals more damage than energy ball to rotom-w.
252 SpA Life Orb Latios Draco Meteor vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-W: 261-308 (86.1 - 101.6%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
(261, 263, 266, 270, 273, 277, 278, 282, 285, 289, 292, 294, 298, 300, 304, 308)

It also OHKOs Quagsire after rocks and deals heavy damage to swampert, not that they are relevant in ou. While Thunder bolt helps you against Skarmory, which is seeing a lot of use these days and can wall most of your team.
Actually yeah fair enough then :P Good luck with your team!

Solid team but it looks like Tyranitar is your weakest link. Even though scarf tar is really strong it is outclassed here by Excadrill who can abuse the sand speed to clean up late game. Losing the pursuit on tar is not that much of a loss because Scizor is already carrying pursuit so it can threaten the lati@s twins. Mandibuzz already having defog gives exca an extra moveslot for swords dance or coverage.

Thank you for your post YUNG GOAT. I first wanted to keep double Sand Stream but in the few battles I did it seemed that Tyranitar switches in while Hippowdon's Sand is still up meaning it doesn't really add another 5 turns. I also didn't really like not having a set-up sweeper. Also most of the roles Tyranitar did are done by one of my other Pokémon as you said, Scizor but also Latios takes away the speed role.
I decided to replace Tyranitar with:
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Swords Dance

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)