Metagame NP: RU Stage 9: Hot Damn (Kingdra Quick Banned, see post #68)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to talk about Scrafty.

It's "good but not great", exactly as 49 said. Fairy-type is one of the reasons why Scrafty will struggle to secure a 6-0 without some support. Both STABs are resisted and it's not strong enough without setup to consistently remove Fairies from the opposing team. The obvious solution is to then have teammates that can get rid of Fairies, right? Right. But most of the fairies and solid counters are gone up to UU, like Slurpuff, Doublade (well it's more of check tbh), and to a lesser degree Whimsicott. That leaves, what, Aromatisse, Audino-Mega, Granbull, Mawile, Clefairy, Floette, Jigglypuff, Kirlia, Marill (list ALL the Fairy types!) (though seriously I'm only talking about Fairy type counters here). Most of those go down to coverage or a lack of enough bulk once Scrafty is set up. Teammates like Cobalion and the huge list of Poison- and Steel-type Pokemon that can OHKO or seriously dent Fairies will deal with the rest.

So pretty much once the Fairies are gone it's GG if you let Scrafty set up, right? To some degree, yes. Scrafty has amazing coverage but does have issues with move slot syndrome, (imo) needing a set up move and both STABS. That leaves one more for coverage. It can be tricky to guess which move Scrafty has and the wrong guess could result your last hope getting removed from the picture.

Then we get to the issue of item and ability, which Scrafty's shining point I think. It can do a few things rather well - Intimidate check/counter to Ghost (or anything that doesn't have SE against it), Moxie DD/BU sweeper, Shed Skin DD/BU sweeper, othersetsicantthinkofrightnow. Items? 49 covered that point perfectly. Scrafty really has your opponent guessing what ability it has. "Do I let something go down so I have a safe switch in at the risk of Moxie?" "Is it worth using status instead of attacking?". LO, Choice (just off the top of my head - the idea is okay on paper but I cant see it having any practical use outside of late game clean up), Lum, Lefties, Chople, just really there's a lot it can use.

I think I'm waffling on here. Scrafty is good and with the right support it's got the potential to sweep maybe 4/5 Mons under the right circumstance. Does that merit a suspect test? Imo no. It's not centralising. Fairy coverage is not uncommon on non-Fairy mons and not to mention Scrafty is also weak to Fighting and Flying, two common offensive types. Cobalion, Fletchinder (why did it even drop lmao), Braviary, Golbat, Noivern, the Hitmons, Medicham, Sawk, Gurrdurr, there's a lot of Pokemon out there that will win one on one matchups. With such a large pool of Pokemon that can take out Scrafty, I don't think it's that centralising. DD sets are the only things that are the problem, but that requires set up and that's not always easy (and imo if something is great because of set up that doesnt make it centralising or broken).

please don't kill me this is the first time i'm doing this i'm just expressing my however naive opinion ;n;

YABO

King Turt
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hi everyone, what are your thoughts on Cobalion after the most recent tier shifts? After playing a handful of games I feel it's definitely great in the meta and could be one of the top threats depending on what happens with suspects and such. It lost several of its best answers including Slowking, Cresselia, and Doublade and the fall of the dragons mean its steel type is doubly useful to stop both them and Mega Glalie who is rising to prominence at the moment. Its speed tier is another fantastic asset it has only being outsped by a few things such as Durant and Noivern that I can think of. When thinking of checks I would say Noivern is a great way to stop it in its tracks as even Substitute variants will be killed with and Infiltrator Flamethrower or Hurricane. Overall, I think Cobalion can be ludicrously strong depending how the meta shapes up.

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Cobalion is definitely very strong YABO. The SD set in particular is crazy good right now thanks to its typing, raw physical bulk, and high Speed tier. Well, ok, there's one other reason that doesn't really meet the eye at first glance. While DD Scrafty may be the most diverse sweeper in the history of RU, SD Cobalion is no slouch when it comes to options. Here's what I mean:

Cobalion @ (I'll get to this)
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Iron Head
- (Give me a sec)

Ok, so SD Cobalion looks pretty basic at first. You've got SD, Close Combat, and Iron Head as basic locks. However, the diversity comes in the last moveslot, which by extension, determines the item of choice. Instead of explaining every option in paragraph form, I'm just going to detail it one by one:

Option 1: Stone Edge - This is probably the best option to run. Ruins Delphox, gets rid of Golbat faster, and it's nice for faster damage on Noivern. Lum Berry is the most reliable item to use with this move to protect Cobalion from random status moves. That said Life Orb can be used for more power while Leftovers can be used for more durability with this setup.

Option 2: Substitute: If you don't need the coverage of Stone Edge, Substitute is a great way to let SD Cobalion perform well vs. offense. It shields Cobalion from status and makes it incredibly difficult to revenge kill thanks to that high Speed tier and great coverage on common revenge kilers (Rotom-C, Tyrantrum, Durant, Dugtrio, and Houndoom are all taken out by Close Combat and / or Iron Head) The Sub also allows it to cause serious damage to a possible Scarf Delphox before being forced out (if Delphox isn't Scarfed, it loses if Cobal is behind a Sub) Leftovers is easily the best option with Substitute for obvious reasons.

Option 3: Stealth Rock: Need hazards? Yeah, SD Cobalion can also run Stealth Rock of all things. The reason this works so well is that it acts as a more passive way to chip down the primary targets of Stone Edge, Delphox and Golbat, during the course of a match. Lum Berry and Leftovers are the best options if you go the route of Stealth Rock.

Option 4: Taunt: Ok, so this is probably the least viable option for SD Cobalion, but it acts as another way to shield Cobalion from status. It can also serve to prevent Golbat from getting off a Defog if your team is reliant on hazards, which can be pretty sweet if Cobalion hasn't gotten an SD up yet. Leftovers gives more durability with this set while Life Orb can be used to crank up the damage output.

The Leprechaun

wear nike not fila
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Cobalion is definitely very strong YABO. The SD set in particular is crazy good right now thanks to its typing, raw physical bulk, and high Speed tier. Well, ok, there's one other reason that doesn't really meet the eye at first glance. While DD Scrafty may be the most diverse sweeper in the history of RU, SD Cobalion is no slouch when it comes to options. Here's what I mean:

Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Iron Head
- (Give me a sec)

Ok, so SD Cobalion looks pretty basic at first. You've got SD, Close Combat, and Iron Head as basic locks. However, the diversity comes in the last moveslot, which by extension, determines the item of choice. Instead of explaining every option in paragraph form, I'm just going to detail it one by one:

Option 1: Stone Edge - This is probably the best option to run. Ruins Delphox, gets rid of Golbat faster, and it's nice for faster damage on Noivern. Lum Berry is the most reliable item to use with this move to protect Cobalion from random status moves. That said Life Orb can be used for more power while Leftovers can be used for more durability with this setup.

Option 2: Substitute: If you don't need the coverage of Stone Edge, Substitute is a great way to let SD Cobalion perform well vs. offense. It shields Cobalion from status and makes it incredibly difficult to revenge kill thanks to that high Speed tier and great coverage on common revenge kilers (Rotom-C, Tyrantrum, Durant, Dugtrio, and Houndoom are all taken out by Close Combat and / or Iron Head) The Sub also allows it to cause serious damage to a possible Scarf Delphox before being forced out (if Delphox isn't Scarfed, it loses if Cobal is behind a Sub) Leftovers is easily the best option with Substitute for obvious reasons.

Option 3: Stealth Rock: Need hazards? Yeah, SD Cobalion can also run Stealth Rock of all things. The reason this works so well is that it acts as a more passive way to chip down the primary targets of Stone Edge, Delphox and Golbat, during the course of a match. Lum Berry and Leftovers are the best options if you go the route of Stealth Rock.

Option 4: Taunt: Ok, so this is probably the least viable option for SD Cobalion, but it acts as another way to shield Cobalion from status. It can also serve to prevent Golbat from getting off a Defog if your team is reliant on hazards, which can be pretty sweet if Cobalion hasn't gotten an SD up yet. Leftovers gives more durability with this set while Life Orb can be used to crank up the damage output.
I like this analysis of cobalion right now but i disagree with the idea that stone edge is the best move to run on it. Although you do score the OHKO on delphox and noivern at +2, you already do enough damage without it on these mons just with your stabs.

With life orb you actually guarantee the ohko on delphox with close combat at +2 after rocks and you have a chance to knock it out even without rocks:

+2 252 Atk Life Orb Cobalion Close Combat vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Delphox: 257-304 (88.3 - 104.4%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO

Without life orb, you have close to a 50% chance to ohko at +2 with rocks:

+2 252 Atk Cobalion Close Combat vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Delphox: 198-234 (68 - 80.4%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Now you may want to be able to ohko delphox before the boost or rocks but it's worth noting that stone edge isn't a guaranteed ohko on fox even if you run life orb and when you stack the miss chance with the survival chance it comes out that you only have about a 75% chance to kill it (0.8*0.938). As far as golbat goes, you only ohko it after rocks if you're at +2 and run life orb, otherwise iron head scores the same 2hko. Also golbat is barely a threat to balion anyway. Finally, the only time you can use stone edge against noivern is on the switch or if it happens to miss hurricane because it's gonna fuck you up before you attack it.

Seeing as these are the only pokemon you would even consider use stone edge against, it's probably really not worth sacrificing the utility you get from any of the other moves you listed. Personally I would even consider magnet rise to be better than stone edge right now as it may allow you set-up opportunities against mlix (the most used mon last month), rhyperior, flygon and seismitoad.

Last edited:
agreeing that cobalion became super duper with the departure of doublade/king/cress. i've found black belt to be the best option on cobalion in this meta, as it's a nice half way between power and survivability. idk about running stone edge, seems fairly useless to me to be honest. i'd much rather have substitute to be able to set up on qwilfish/alomomola and to shield myself from revenge killers

Cobalion @ Black Belt
EVs: 220 Atk / 36 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance
- Substitute

EVs guarantee that qwilfish's scald (or waterfall) will not break your sub, allowing you to set up on it. some nice calcs are:

+2 220 Atk Black Belt Cobalion Close Combat vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Delphox: 231-273 (79.3 - 93.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 220 Atk Black Belt Cobalion Close Combat vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Solid Rock Rhyperior: 424-501 (97.9 - 115.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 220 Atk Black Belt Cobalion Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Bronzong: 312-367 (92.3 - 108.5%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
220 Atk Black Belt Cobalion Close Combat vs. 68 HP / 0 Def Jolteon: 270-318 (93.7 - 110.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

as for thoughts on the metagame... it's kinda shit lol. kingdra is flat out broken, and i've been using a double specs core of noivern and jolteon which just gain so much momentum while dropping bombs on the opponent. the departure of slowking, doublade and cress has made the meta extremely offensive, which i really dislike. scrafty is ridiculously customizable with three excellent abilities, a massive array of items to choose from (resist berries really let you pick and choose what you beat). flygon has been kind of underwhelming to me lol, although that may be because of the presence of the other crazy dragons. RU has become dominated by dragon-types, which imo is never particularly desirable

Grass types look like they got really nerfed with the new drops. Virizion is quad flying weak while the frail and fast flying types enjoy that certain former walls are no more, and tangrowth and torterra are not gonna like noivern and kingdra. Flygon even usually packs u-turn. Anyone think there's a chance virizion is gonna drop back to NU again?

I feel Virizion actually got a bit better in this tier shift. It checks Flygon, Kingdra, and Scrafty, two of its best checks are gone(Whimsicott and Doublade), and most bulky Psychics left the tier, so that's good.

Wandering Wobbuffet

formerly Based Honker
Question: Why are you running ancient power? I would much rather run ice beam or hydro pump.

Anyway, the funny thing about Lapras is that it is actually decently hard to wall despite its 85 SpA, as it threatens the grass-water core of Tangrowth/Amoonguss and Alomomola/Jellicent/Gastrodon with freeze dry alone. Also 2HKOes standard Togetic with ice beam.

I don't know if this makes it viable or not, but it is certainly worth a try before Kingdra is banned.
You could run whatever you want there tbh. I threw ancientpower on there to be able to hit glalie being as it's pretty common currently. If you want you could run something like psychic, signal beam, or drill run if they give you coverage for a specific mon that may threaten your team.

Surf actually hits Glalie for the same damage as Ancient Power, so I'd probably run Psychic or HP Fire to hit Hitmonlee and Escavalier respectively.

agreeing that cobalion became super duper with the departure of doublade/king/cress. i've found black belt to be the best option on cobalion in this meta, as it's a nice half way between power and survivability. idk about running stone edge, seems fairly useless to me to be honest. i'd much rather have substitute to be able to set up on qwilfish/alomomola and to shield myself from revenge killers

Cobalion @ Black Belt
EVs: 220 Atk / 36 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance
- Substitute

EVs guarantee that qwilfish's scald (or waterfall) will not break your sub, allowing you to set up on it. some nice calcs are:

+2 220 Atk Black Belt Cobalion Close Combat vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Delphox: 231-273 (79.3 - 93.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 220 Atk Black Belt Cobalion Close Combat vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Solid Rock Rhyperior: 424-501 (97.9 - 115.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 220 Atk Black Belt Cobalion Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Bronzong: 312-367 (92.3 - 108.5%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
220 Atk Black Belt Cobalion Close Combat vs. 68 HP / 0 Def Jolteon: 270-318 (93.7 - 110.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

as for thoughts on the metagame... it's kinda shit lol. kingdra is flat out broken, and i've been using a double specs core of noivern and jolteon which just gain so much momentum while dropping bombs on the opponent. the departure of slowking, doublade and cress has made the meta extremely offensive, which i really dislike. scrafty is ridiculously customizable with three excellent abilities, a massive array of items to choose from (resist berries really let you pick and choose what you beat). flygon has been kind of underwhelming to me lol, although that may be because of the presence of the other crazy dragons. RU has become dominated by dragon-types, which imo is never particularly desirable
Wow it really seems like cobalion its a great mon in the actual meta, definetly im going to use it. Just one question, why 220 atk ev's instead of 252?

Well, moreover, im not an RU player but when i saw this tier shift i really felt like playing some RU, so far it has been really fun, kingdra is definetly very powerful under the rain, if your rival manages to successfully set up the rain, stoping kingdra will be really hard.
M-Glalie its useful right now, it handles all the new dragons, kingdra with freeze dry (if its not under the rain) and the other two with ice shard, and just like it was said before, cobalion its a really great mon right now. Also, choice scarf delphox seems fun to use.

P is For Penguin

formerly MainEvent

Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Iron Head
- (Give me a sec)

Option 5: Magnet Rise: It makes immune to ground moves which make cobas life pretty miserable, and its high speed tier allows it to set it up quite easily allowing you to deal out even more damage.

just thought id add this because its pretty good as well

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Wow it really seems like cobalion its a great mon in the actual meta, definetly im going to use it. Just one question, why 220 atk ev's instead of 252?
He said it's so that he can use 36 SpD to not let Qwilfish's Scald break its substitute, which I feel is kinda pushing it because I'm not seeing many Qwilfish anyway, and I feel lately like Omastar's getting the edge over it again especially with Stealth Rock and Toxic Spikes.

phantom

Banned deucer.
Just so you all are aware because I don't think it has been announced anywhere, Gallade was recently force dropped in the same vein Medicham was and is now legal on the ladder! Much like Medicham, you can expect Gallade to be a good Pokemon, but unlike Medicham, it has access to Knock Off and Swords Dance so Gallade should be a pretty powerful Pokemon against slower teams once the meta settles.

http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...r-update-may-2015.3537414/page-5#post-6205391

Last edited by a moderator:

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Some sets I've been using:

Omastar @ Focus Sash
Ability: Weak Armor
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic Spikes
- Scald
- Ice Beam / Hidden Power [Grass]

I feel like the reign of Qwilfish has ended and Omastar rose to be the dominant invertebrate again. With Cobalion preferring the SD sets a lot more than the SR sets, offense really lacks any reliable or good SR setters. Perhaps the only other is Seismitoad which I personally wouldn't like having on an offensive team tbh. Omastar sets up SR, along with Toxic Spikes which are also amazing in a meta that's heavily offensive, while still being an offensive threat thanks to Scald and Ice Beam which threatens the billion dragons laying around. I used HP Grass as a counter-measure to seismitoad but that's an extreme case and team-specific, Ice Beam is likely the better slot there.

Noivern @ Life Orb
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Flamethrower
- Dragon Pulse
- Roost / Hurricane

Noivern is incredibly good. It's so fast, has Infiltrator, and good movepool consisting of dragon + fire coverage which nothing in RU resists off the top of my head, in addition to Hurricane which is a decent STAB that can be used, but I like Roost. The way it works is kinda reminiscent of Pidgeot in the sense that it's a fast bird with good movepool, only difference is that sadly its Hurricane can miss (which is partly why I don't like using it on this set). Roost allows Noivern to continue being a nuisance even with its vulnerability to SR + LO recoil, and it can use them on predicted switches or against Pokemon that can't hurt it much (Alomomola namely). The best thing about Noivern is the fact that it's fucking fast, and its pretty much the reason why Jolteon is pretty good in this meta, because that's one of two faster Pokemon that can run offensive sets (the other being Accelgor). With Infiltrator, its speed, and amazing movepool/STABs it can act as an extreme annoyance to offense teams, even revenge killing Cobalion behind a Substitute (w/ LO Flamethrower does 94-100% iirc).

Sigilyph @ Focus Sash
Ability: Magic Guard
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Dazzling Gleam
- Energy Ball
- Heat Wave

Haven't really gotten to testing this much, but simply put, it's the Alakazam of RU minus the ridiculous speed. I started using this as a countermeasure to rain/DD Kingdra where it can survive a hit and deal respectable damage w/ Dazzling Gleam (and then revenge kill w/ priority if need be, but after 1 poison round + sr + LO or something kingdra's usually dead), but it also happens to be a general revenge killer that looks good on paper against offensive teams.

Again I haven't tested this much so it could end up being bad lol, especially because dazzling gleam only does 53-64% against Kingdra.)

Kingdra @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Swift Swim
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Rest
- Outrage
- Waterfall

ChestoRest Kingdra. Nothing special here, reminiscent of DPP. Set up a DD or two aginst a Pokemon that can't 2HKO, rest, and then either sweep or set up again if you're greedy/need to set up again. This set struggles against teams with a Steel + fairy so make sure one of those is eliminated before you start setting up if the opposing teams have them. Outspeeds Jolteon at +1 with Adamant which is sex.

Just for curiosity, do you see some suspect test coming? Maybe a kingdra suspect?
Kingdra is a pretty versatile af threat with CritDra, rain dance sweeper, potentially DD but the others are just wayyy too threateening the most of the time; it just needs to set up once and it can start demolishing offense. I'm not gonna pretend to speak for the council but it's probably gonna be quickbanned.

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
The council is going to be voting on Kingdra as a quick suspect (as obviously everyone is curious o.o), the results of said vote will be posted before the end of the week, so stay tuned everyone!

Arikado I too have been playing around with Focus Sash Sigilyph and think its a pretty neat catch all atm, although, I'm running Ice Beam > Dazzling Gleam, and Thunder Wave > Energy Ball. I feel like Thunder Wave allows Sigilyph to function better against the current fast offensive meta game, as even if you can't kill something you are still able to cripple it before it sweeps you, a good example being RD Kingdra which your set is not capable of beating.

Edit: Just so everyone sees this, Gallade is RU. See Spirit's post for an explanation.

Last edited:

tehy

Banned deucer.
with Gallade back here, plus cham's general fuccboiery, I decided to use an old favorite, Spiritomb. However, all the normal sets kind of suck (maybe the offensive sets are ok but that's not my bag baby). I mean, crotomb is just losing to a lot of stuff and doesn't accomplish much outside of winconning, i.e. little defensive presence. fully defensive though just kinda sits there and burns stuff and is defensive. I also wanted some other qualities of defensive tomber and to beat other CM mons. so, without further ado, catch this lord

Spiritomb @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 100 Def / 156 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: null Atk
- Will-O-Wisp
- Calm Mind
- Rest
- Snarl

You can do max/max bold but i'm testing way more SpD as a way to tell sigilyph where to shove it.

Snarl is just cool against special attackers, Mrupt standing out, and if you have to 1v1 Reuniclus or SubCM melo or whatever, it really helps. With WoW + Snarl it's hard to set up on spiritomb so the lack of power isn't a massive deal either.

Wow > Sleep talk ; lets you be actually defensive, lets you sweep late game, burn all phys mons and CM to win basically. This set is kinda hard to respond to outside of aromatisse, which is nice. Downside is, resting sucks, so bring heal bell and even wish support (luckily i did !)

rip scrafty though, it beats the pants off of this set (if it's offensive DD you can spam wisp and wear away at it despite shed skin though, if rest then gee gee)

YABO

King Turt
Some sets I've been using:

Omastar @ Focus Sash
Ability: Weak Armor
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic Spikes
- Scald
- Ice Beam / Hidden Power [Grass]

I feel like the reign of Qwilfish has ended and Omastar rose to be the dominant invertebrate again. With Cobalion preferring the SD sets a lot more than the SR sets, offense really lacks any reliable or good SR setters. Perhaps the only other is Seismitoad which I personally wouldn't like having on an offensive team tbh. Omastar sets up SR, along with Toxic Spikes which are also amazing in a meta that's heavily offensive, while still being an offensive threat thanks to Scald and Ice Beam which threatens the billion dragons laying around. I used HP Grass as a counter-measure to seismitoad but that's an extreme case and team-specific, Ice Beam is likely the better slot there.
I'm not too sure about the reign of Qwilfish being over. In my games so far I've been playing strictly Spike Stack Offense and I have tried both hazard leads. So far I've found that Qwilfish's ability to use Taunt and Explosion has come in handy so many times. This may be due to players sort of misplaying around the hazard lead but with the super powerful drops in the tier right now it's difficult for them to find another opportunity. Chunking out a Togetic with Explosion for something else to kill later has been very effective for me. Also, in terms of finding a rocker for offense I've started using Heatproof SpD Bronzong. Offense right now literally folds to Noivern every time it comes in. A catch all to Noivern, Exploud, and others has been a great boon for my team and offensive double switches allows me to keep up momentum against Defoggers who would like to come in.

The Leprechaun

wear nike not fila
I believe someone mentioned how this mon has more of a niche now that cress has left the tier. Apart from the obvious rain setter and screens sets, I've been enjoying the somewhat standard set from last gen.

Uxie @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 212 Def / 44 Spe
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave
- Dazzling Gleam / Psychic
- Heal Bell / Psychic / U-turn / ???

With mons such as Rhyperior and Steelix maybe losing a little bit of favour with the introduction of kingdra, scrafty and flygon, as well as older threats such as virizion and cobalion becoming more effective, uxie has gained a really nice niche as a bulky rock setter/ wall. Apart from setting rocks really nicely, it has great utility in taking on fighting types that have benefitted following the rises of doublade, cress and whimicott. Along with this, it work excellently as a twave spreader and general catch all check to many offensive mons. Its bulk allows it to tank Cobalion and Virizion with ease and its fairy coverage + speed allows it to even check scrafty despite the type disadvantage. The fact that dark types such as houndoom and drapion have become less popular thanks to the fact that flygon, cobalion and virizion check them really well and it is no longer necessary to check cress + doublade has also aided uxie.

The speed evs allow it to outspeed jolly scrafty and 2hko it. By extension, this also lets you outspeed modest exploud so you can get a last ditch thunder wave or psychic off on it. Heal bell is what I've been using in the 4th slot but psychic is also a useful option as gleam is pretty weak against anything that's not hit super effectively by it. Obviously if you have other, more reliable ways of dealing damage to kingdra and scrafty, it's worth dropping gleam for psychic. Specifically, psychic is useful for breaking cobalion substitutes. Overall i see uxie as a very useful mon and I can see it makig a real comeback to RU.

252 Atk Scrafty Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 212+ Def Uxie: 152-182 (42.9 - 51.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252 Atk Scrafty Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 212+ Def Uxie: 228-270 (64.4 - 76.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252 Atk Life Orb Scrafty Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 212+ Def Uxie: 296-351 (83.6 - 99.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

+2 252 Atk Cobalion Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 212+ Def Uxie: 126-148 (35.5 - 41.8%) -- 86.3% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252 Atk Virizion Leaf Blade vs. 252 HP / 212+ Def Uxie: 142-168 (40.1 - 47.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Choice Band Flygon Outrage vs. 252 HP / 212+ Def Uxie: 151-178 (42.6 - 50.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

+1 252+ Atk Kingdra Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 212+ Def Uxie: 108-127 (30.5 - 35.8%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252+ Atk Kingdra Outrage vs. 252 HP / 212+ Def Uxie: 160-190 (45.1 - 53.6%) -- 2% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ SpA Life Orb Kingdra Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Uxie in Rain: 247-292 (69.7 - 82.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Life Orb Kingdra Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Uxie: 195-230 (55 - 64.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Last edited:

YABO

King Turt
I believe someone mentioned how this mon has more of a niche now that cress has left the tier. Apart from the obvious rain setter and screens sets, I've been enjoying the somewhat standard set fro last gen.

Uxie @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 212 Def / 44 Spe
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave
- Dazzling Gleam / Psychic
- Heal Bell / Psychic / U-turn / ???

With mons such as Rhyperior and Steelix maybe losing a little bit of favour with the introduction of kingdra, scrafty and flygon, as well as older threats such as virizion and cobalion becoming more effective, uxie has gained a really nice niche as a bulky rock setter/ wall. Apart from setting rocks really nicely, it has great utility in taking on fighting types that have become more effective following the absence of doublade, cress and whimicott. Along with this, it work excellently as a twave spreader and general catch all check to many offensive mons. Its bulk allows it to tank Cobalion and Virizion with ease and its fairy coverage + speed allows it to even check scrafty rather well. The fact that dark types such as houndoom and drapion have become less popular thanks to the fact that flygon, cobalion and virizion check them really well and it is no longer necessary to check cress + doublade has also aided uxie.

The speed evs allow it to outspeed jolly scrafty and 2hko it. By extension, this also lets you outspeed modest exploud so you can get a last ditch thunder wave or psychic off on it. Heal bell is what I've been using in the 4th slot but psychic is also a useful option as gleam is pretty weak against anything that's not hit super effectively by it. Specifically, psychic is useful for breaking cobalion substitutes. Overall i see uxie as a very useful mon and I can see it makig a real comeback to RU.

252 Atk Scrafty Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 212+ Def Uxie: 152-182 (42.9 - 51.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252 Atk Scrafty Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 212+ Def Uxie: 228-270 (64.4 - 76.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252 Atk Life Orb Scrafty Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 212+ Def Uxie: 296-351 (83.6 - 99.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

+2 252 Atk Cobalion Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 212+ Def Uxie: 126-148 (35.5 - 41.8%) -- 86.3% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252 Atk Virizion Leaf Blade vs. 252 HP / 212+ Def Uxie: 142-168 (40.1 - 47.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Choice Band Flygon Outrage vs. 252 HP / 212+ Def Uxie: 151-178 (42.6 - 50.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

+1 252+ Atk Kingdra Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 212+ Def Uxie: 108-127 (30.5 - 35.8%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252+ Atk Kingdra Outrage vs. 252 HP / 212+ Def Uxie: 160-190 (45.1 - 53.6%) -- 2% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ SpA Life Orb Kingdra Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Uxie in Rain: 247-292 (69.7 - 82.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Life Orb Kingdra Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Uxie: 195-230 (55 - 64.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
I do agree that Uxie can be a very good "catch all" to a lot of pokemon in the tier but I question the use of Dazzling Gleam as the primary attack over Psychic. Like you said, one of the main reasons to use Uxie is stopping Cobalion in his tracks, never losing to it. I haven't done all the math as I am both stupid and lazy but I think this calc is of particular relevance.

0 SpA Uxie Dazzling Gleam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Cobalion: 60-71 (18.5 - 21.9%) -- possible 5HKO

Allowing Cobalion to sub up for free against you seems like a recipe for disaster when Uxie is your answer to it. Now, this can obviously be remedied with team members but I maintain that Psychic should be the primary there for that reason. Besides, hitting Dragons a bit harder isn't the biggest deal as Thunder Wave is a major thorn in their side regardless. Scrafty will be a pain in the ass without DGleam though that can be attended to with either U-Turning on switches or slowing it down for your other mons.

The Leprechaun

wear nike not fila
I do agree that Uxie can be a very good "catch all" to a lot of pokemon in the tier but I question the use of Dazzling Gleam as the primary attack over Psychic. Like you said, one of the main reasons to use Uxie is stopping Cobalion in his tracks, never losing to it. I haven't done all the math as I am both stupid and lazy but I think this calc is of particular relevance.

0 SpA Uxie Dazzling Gleam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Cobalion: 60-71 (18.5 - 21.9%) -- possible 5HKO

Allowing Cobalion to sub up for free against you seems like a recipe for disaster when Uxie is your answer to it. Now, this can obviously be remedied with team members but I maintain that Psychic should be the primary there for that reason. Besides, hitting Dragons a bit harder isn't the biggest deal as Thunder Wave is a major thorn in their side regardless. Scrafty will be a pain in the ass without DGleam though that can be attended to with either U-Turning on switches or slowing it down for your other mons.
Yeah, I agree that psychic is probably necessary if uxie is your primary check to balion. The reason i had my set without psychic is because i had other ways of checking sub balion on the team i was using so it wasn't all that problematic but as i mentioned in the post, psychic's main use is indeed to break through its subs.

So, with Cobalion running around and Psychics like Reuniclus and Uxie gaining traction, I think this thing should get a mention.

Spiritomb @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold / Impish Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Foul Play
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Despite having the Justified-activating Foul Play as its only attack, Spiritomb actually checks Cobalion fairly well.

252 Atk Cobalion Iron Head vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Spiritomb: 70-84 (23.1 - 27.7%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk burned Cobalion Iron Head vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Spiritomb: 35-42 (11.5 - 13.8%) -- possibly the worst move ever
0 Atk Spiritomb Foul Play vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Cobalion: 48-57 (14.8 - 17.6%) -- 92.5% chance to 4HKO after burn damage

As you can see, Foul Play outdamages a burned Cobalion's Iron Head, and you can even use Justified to your advantage. Infiltrator is used because it allows Spiritomb to get Will-o-Wisp past Substitute, and it has enough bulk to get it off again should it trigger Lum Berry.

Now let's look at Reuniclus.

0 Atk Spiritomb Foul Play vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Reuniclus: 114-134 (26.8 - 31.6%) -- 25.7% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
4 SpA Reuniclus Shadow Ball vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Spiritomb: 66-78 (21.7 - 25.7%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery

Okay, you kinda get into a stall war here unless Reuni has any CM boosts. Foul Play has a lot of PP, though, so you shouldn't run out of it anytime soon.

Now to Uxie.

0 Atk Spiritomb Foul Play vs. 252 HP / 212+ Def Uxie: 102-120 (28.8 - 33.8%) -- 95.9% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery (98% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery and burn damage)
0 SpA Uxie Dazzling Gleam vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Spiritomb: 86-102 (28.3 - 33.6%) -- 94.9% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

Using the defensive Uxie spread that The Leprechaun proposed. You're about even here if Uxie does decide to run Gleam. If not, it will probably just U-turn out. If you do manage to burn it, odds are pretty good you'll come out on top.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)