ORAS NU Cryptozoology (Peaked #1 1603 ELO)

A

Joker fan
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus

Edit 3: This team is now 1603! Ayy. http://imgur.com/PnMFiSu

Hello Everyone. This is A/Moorhshcnup. You might know me from the Lobby, sometimes a lurker in TCG and Writing, and just recently, Neverused! Also, this is my first RMT so don't kill me.

Anyway, let's get to the teambuilding process of this:
BUT FIRST....

After the recent drops of Kabutops, Magneton, Fletchinder and Pinsir, I decided to try out the metagame once more. I haven't played since the Heliolisk Suspect, and I have an interesting replay to show you for that. =)

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nususpecttest-210799656 Byotiful.

On to the team...

I decided to try and use one of my favorites, Kecleon. With 3 forms of priority, a wide movepool, and Protean, this little bugger can do a lot of things.

Next pokemon would be Magneton. People have been talking about "Lol Specs Analytic, and Eviolite Magnet Pull." I decided to break that norm and go for something people never thought of. Eviolite Analytic :DDDD.

Next off since I was really getting fighting weak, I decided to run Pinsir. I went for a SD + 3 Attacks set, testing it out. I also splashed in a Scarf Aurorus. It just threatens so many things right now, and helps with bird spam and this team's middling speed.

Now, I decided to put an Uxie in. Subcm? Nope. Physically Defensive SR Support Uxie. SubCM is really common nowadays that I can easily bluff it. Also it helps against the fighting weakness as well as being a solid glue. More or less I also added Quagsire as a backup physical wall, as well as a setup stopper. Also because he's a qtpie.

After Pinsir's poor performance and inability to get through physical walls, I decided to run one of my favorites in BW2 NU, Haunter. SubSplit LO is so fun to use. You can weaken walls easily (ones with high HP like Lanturn or Miltank), and then bop them with a Sludge Wave/Shadow Ball. Also since you can force switches, you can get up a Substitute. It's pretty awesome. And this my friends, is my team Cryptozoology, enjoy.

Importable
Swagneton (Magneton) @ Eviolite
Ability: Analytic
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 96 HP / 252 SpA / 160 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Substitute
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Noble (Kecleon) (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Protean
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Shadow Sneak
- Drain Punch

Free Hugs (Quagsire) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Scald
- Toxic
- Earthquake
- Recover

Gar Gen (Haunter) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: NaN Atk
- Substitute
- Pain Split
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave

Rain Killer (Aurorus) (F) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Freeze-Dry
- Blizzard
- Ancient Power
- Earth Power

Everyone uses (Uxie) @ Leftovers
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave
- Psychic
- U-turn

Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Shadow Sneak
- Drain Punch

What else can I say? Kecleon with Assault Vest is a really bulky special tank that can take hits and dish it back. Protean with Shadow Sneak and Sucker Punch can often put opponents on the ropes thanks to mind games. Also this is my main fire type switch-in. It can tank most special attacks, not even getting 2ko'd unless by strong specs users, and then dish back damage. Also no, I don't use LO. Screw LO Kecleon ;~;

Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Substitute
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Swagneton is pretty beast. The combination of the switches it can easily force, with Substitute and Analytic turn it into a huge powerhouse that can manhandle most teams. I've decided to run HP Grass instead, as Quagsire is a bigger threat compared to Ferroseed, which is Substitute fodder, and dies to repeated Thunderbolt. The EVs are to outspeed neutral natured Aurorus, while the leftover EVs are added into HP for added bulk, and a beefier Substitute.

Relaxed Nature
- Scald
- Toxic
- Earthquake
- Recover

Quagsire is such a fun mon to use. It's a stopper to most setup sweepers, and can just be a bulky mofo that won't die unless you smack it with a grass move. (Looking at you, Giga Drain Uxie.) The EVs are pretty standard, and Relaxed is used so you don't have Scald or EQ weakened, and Quaggy's pretty slow anyway. Also did I mention that he's a qtpie?

Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Pain Split
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
Haunter's a ton of fun to play with. Life Orb just allows it to hit like a truck. Your STABs bring good neutral coverage overall. Pain Split is the real kicker, which allows Haunter to take on walls like Lanturn, Mantine and friends much easier. Haunter weakening walls also allows Scarf Aurorus to clean things up much easier. Levitate and an immunity to fighting, as well as being a spinblocker makes Gar Gen here quite the important asset to Cryptozoology.

Timid Nature
- Freeze-Dry
- Blizzard
- Ancient Power
- Earth Power

Aurorus here is pretty self-explanatory. It's a decent check to rain, taking out their weather and freeze-drying their pokemon easily. Aurorus also functions as my cleaner, often taking out weakened teams with powerful Blizzards. Sometimes, Aurorus even functions as a great anti-lead! They bring out their Sandslash, hoping to outspeed and Earthquake you out/get some Stealth Rocks out? Nope, they eat a Blizzard to the face! Sash Vivillon trying to Quiver Dance Sweep? You Blizzard it, you probably get put to sleep, but the butterfly dies to the hail, as the Focus Sash is broken. Good times.

Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave
- Psychic
- U-turn

Uxie here is one of the team's main walls. He gets up Stealth Rocks, cripples an opponent or a switch in with a Thunder Wave, and U-turns out to bring momentum. Usually I plan to get up rocks out early game, and then keep them on the field with Haunter. He also answers most fighting type really well, since he takes a Knock off like a beast.
Special Thanks to:
Winter's Howl for helping me out with this team and stuff.
You the Viewer
Myself.

Last edited:
Congrats on #1 dude :D

The team looks really solid using a lot of underrated threats like AV kek and Sub painsplit haunter (I use sub painsplit rotom, so close enough), I don't really wanna say anything you should change since of your impressive ranking, but I do see a slight malamar weakness as your quag set does not beat spdef malamar if your opponent knows to not click sleep talk when asleep. I see your best bet to beat malamar is putting a shit ton of pressure on it with aurorus and pain splitting with haunter. Now here is the solution!

Quagsire @ Leftovers
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 Spe EV's can be changed to your disposure, just not max spdef plz
Relaxed Nature
- Curse <---------------------------------
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Recover

This set enables you to beat malamar, and it also adds a more offensive physical presence to your team as I see it's lacking

So yeah, congrats on peak, your team is really cool, and I'm probably going to steal it ngl

Last edited:
Hey Bro!
Nice team you have here, certainly, Kecleon is one of the uber cool mons in the tier but not used as much as he maybe deserves. This team does utilise his bulk really well, but despite maybe not looking like one of the best teams, in reality, you do check most of the meta really easily, really nice team overall.

There are a couple of problems. The first of which is that you don't have a toxic spikes absorber, meaning, that you are inherently weak to this type of hazard, even if it only hits half your team. The other problem, you don't seem to have a way to get rid of them. With no source of reliable recovery on kecleon, and an sr weak aurorus as your cleaner, it is imperative that you put some hazards control, otherwise you will find that any hazards stack teams will be a nightmare to deal with, and against a great player, might end in you losing.
Therefore I am going to suggest Offensive Defog Archeops > Haunter.
What this means for you, is that you lose quite a bit of specially offensive presence, despite this, haunter and archeops function relatively similar. Both have a way of recovering HP, hitting hard with good coverage and utility in general. The beauty of this swap is with archeops synergy with magneton. Magneton gets rid of the steels Archeops hates with the simple swap of HP Ground > HP Grass. Your overall team synergy benefits very much so from this change, since magnet can now trap steels archeops really doesn't like to deal with.

Archeops
Ability: Defeatist
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Acrobatics
- Earthquake
- Roost
- Defog

HP Ground > HP grass on magneton.

good luck in your future endeavours
~HJAD

hi there

This team looks p solid and congrats on peaking 1. The main concern I see is that fast offensive mons that outspeed Aurorus like Tauros and Sneasel really pressure you and you really rely on Quagsire to beat a lot of set up sweepers. Because of that, you're weak to stuff like SD Samurott because it beats Quagsire with the 50% drop from Razor Shell.

Basically there are 2 changes you should make. The first is to follow what Adaire said and run Curse > Toxic on Quagsire. It also lets you actually beat Malamar which is also very problematic for your team. However unlike what Adaire said, Scald is the preffered option over Waterfall because the burn chance is amazing and can help check physical threats without setting up.

The second change is to run Kangaskhan > Kecleon. Kangaskhan really is the superior option on this team due to its greater speed which allows it to check SD Samurott with Fake Out + Double Edge, as well as check other threats to the team such as Lilligant with Fake Out + Sucker Punch. Kecleon is relying on only 1 priority move, which means that it cant revenge Samurott or Lilligant very efficiently.

Cool team.

: Curse > Toxic

Kangaskhan @ Silk Scarf | Scrappy
252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe | Adamant
Fake Out | Sucker Punch | Double-Edge | Earthquake / Aqua Tail

Last edited:

EDIT 2: RANK 1. POP THE CHAMPAGNE, CAUSE WE DID IT! http://imgur.com/JzyENar

Hello Everyone. This is A/Moorhshcnup. You might know me from the Lobby, the uh..Roleplaying Room, sometimes a lurker in TCG and Writing, and just recently, Neverused! Also, this is my first RMT so don't kill me.

Anyway, let's get to the teambuilding process of this:
BUT FIRST....

After the recent drops of Kabutops, Magneton, Fletchinder and Pinsir, I decided to try out the metagame once more. I haven't played since the Heliolisk Suspect, and I have an interesting replay to show you for that. =)

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nususpecttest-210799656 Byotiful.

On to the team...

I decided to try and use one of my favorites, Kecleon. With 3 forms of priority, a wide movepool, and Protean, this little bugger can do a lot of things.

Next pokemon would be Magneton. People have been talking about "Lol Specs Analytic, and Eviolite Magnet Pull." I decided to break that norm and go for something people never thought of. Eviolite Analytic :DDDD.

Next off since I was really getting fighting weak, I decided to run Pinsir. I went for a SD + 3 Attacks set, testing it out. I also splashed in a Scarf Aurorus. It just threatens so many things right now, and helps with bird spam and this team's middling speed.

Now, I decided to put an Uxie in. Subcm? Nope. Physically Defensive SR Support Uxie. SubCM is really common nowadays that I can easily bluff it. Also it helps against the fighting weakness as well as being a solid glue. More or less I also added Quagsire as a backup physical wall, as well as a setup stopper. Also because he's a qtpie.

After Pinsir's poor performance and inability to get through physical walls, I decided to run one of my favorites in BW2 NU, Haunter. SubSplit LO is so fun to use. You can weaken walls easily (ones with high HP like Lanturn or Miltank), and then bop them with a Sludge Wave/Shadow Ball. Also since you can force switches, you can get up a Substitute. It's pretty awesome. And this my friends, is my team Cryptozoology, enjoy.

Importable
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Substitute
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Shadow Sneak
- Drain Punch

Relaxed Nature
- Scald
- Toxic
- Earthquake
- Recover

Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Pain Split
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave

Timid Nature
- Freeze-Dry
- Blizzard
- Ancient Power
- Earth Power

Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave
- Psychic
- U-turn

Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Shadow Sneak
- Drain Punch

What else can I say? Kecleon with Assault Vest is a really bulky special tank that can take hits and dish it back. Protean with Shadow Sneak and Sucker Punch can often put opponents on the ropes thanks to mind games. Also this is my main fire type switch-in. It can tank most special attacks, not even getting 2ko'd unless by strong specs users, and then dish back damage. Also no, I don't use LO. Screw LO Kecleon ;~;

Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Substitute
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Swagneton is pretty beast. The combination of the switches it can easily force, with Substitute and Analytic turn it into a huge powerhouse that can manhandle most teams. I've decided to run HP Grass instead, as Quagsire is a bigger threat compared to Ferroseed, which is Substitute fodder, and dies to repeated Thunderbolt. The EVs are to neutral natured Aurorus, while the leftover EVs are added into HP for added bulk, and a beefier Substitute.

Relaxed Nature
- Scald
- Toxic
- Earthquake
- Recover

Quagsire is such a fun mon to use. It's a stopper to most setup sweepers, and can just be a bulky mofo that won't die unless you smack it with a grass move. (Looking at you, Giga Drain Uxie.) The EVs are pretty standard, and Relaxed is used so you don't have Scald or EQ weakened, and Quaggy's pretty slow anyway. Also did I mention that he's a qtpie?

Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Pain Split
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
Haunter's a ton of fun to play with. Life Orb just gives allows it to hit like a truck. Your STABs bring good neutral coverage overall. Pain Split is the real kicker, which allows Haunter to take on walls like Lanturn, Mantine, and friends much easier. Haunter weakening walls also allows Scarf Aurorus to clean things up much easier. Levitate and an immunity to fighting, as well as being a spinblocker makes Gar Gen here quite the important asset to Cryptozoology.

Timid Nature
- Freeze-Dry
- Blizzard
- Ancient Power
- Earth Power

Aurorus here is pretty self-explanatory. It's a decent check to rain, taking out their weather and freeze-drying their pokemon easily. Aurorus also functions as my cleaner, often taking out weakened teams with powerful Blizzards. Sometimes, Aurorus even functions as a great anti-lead! They bring out their Sandslash, hoping to outspeed and Earthquake you out/get some Stealth Rocks out? Nope, they eat a Blizzard to the face! Sash Vivillon trying to Quiver Dance Sweep? You Blizzard it, you probably get put to sleep, but the butterfly dies to the hail, as the Focus Sash is broken. Good times.

Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave
- Psychic
- U-turn

Uxie here is one of the team's main walls. He gets up Stealth Rocks, cripples an opponent or a switch in with a Thunder Wave, and U-turns out to bring momentum. Usually I plan to get up rocks out early game, and then keep them on the field with Haunter. He also answers most fighting type really well, since he takes a Knock off like a beast.
Special Thanks to:
Winter's Howl for helping me out with this team and stuff.
You the Viewer
Myself.
Alright, no worries, I am here. First off, congratulations again on your peak! :) So on to the team. Seeing as I was with you nearly every step of the way through this climb, I feel I understand the team enough to know why the specific purpose each Mon serves. Much respect to my fellow raters, before I get into my suggestions. So looking through a lot of these rates, I see a number of suggestions saying that you should ditch Kecleon. If this were any other team, I might of had to agree with them. But their is a couple of things that make this Kecleon so valuable to the team. 1) Mind games - Kecleon gets the type of any move it uses when it has Protean. That means it can literally adapt to the current situation. This causes a number of 50/50s, especially with fighting types. The uncertainty of what Kecleon will do next keeps opponents on their heels, and from my perspective overly cautious as well. 2) Special tank - Kecleon's special bulk with an AV is enormous. Let's be honest, special attackers love this team...until they meet Kecleon. Now I saw a suggestion about AV Kanga > Kecleon. This does offer some speed to the team, but when this was first brought up on PS, it was under the assumption that team needed a better fire check. Well after doing some calcs, the difference in bulk from Kecleon to Kanga actually lies in Kecleon's advantage. 3) "Recovery" - Another highlight on this point is that of recovery when comparing the two. Kanga does get Drain Punch, but it is weak, offering little hp recovery. Kecleon, on the other hand, gets STAB Drain Punch, which pushes its longevity far past that of Kanga. When you designate your mon as a primary check to a certain set of types, you want it to last. Along with the other points I have discussed, I believe this warrants Kecleon staying. I would go on, but I am on my phone and I have rated your team already before, lol. Anyway, congrats man! See ya around.

Ps. Amazing song, but he is better with FOB :)

Last edited:
Reactions: A
I can see why you peak number 1 ;). Congrats by the way. AMAZING team! i have been playing witht his and is so fun to use! I used to had an nu team myself but when all the new Mons came in i just lost it lol. Anyway im glad i found this post. Great team! <3

Edit: If haunter and Aurorus is gone Meganium walls the team (if the team is also weakned.) i dont know but just my opinion.

Last edited:
Reactions: A
I got to 1400 with his team. but, a threat that is to your team is hariyama (assault vest). 5/6 are all special attackers and keckleon being a physical attacker which is normal type and has a type disadvantage against it. Even if you changed to a ghost type with shadow sneak Hariyama can just use knock of and take you out. I don't know how to deal with it and it seems very hard to break down. So anyway can this team stop it?

I got to 1400 with his team. but, a threat that is to your team is hariyama (assault vest). 5/6 are all special attackers and keckleon being a physical attacker which is normal type and has a type disadvantage against it. Even if you changed to a ghost type with shadow sneak Hariyama can just use knock of and take you out. I don't know how to deal with it and it seems very hard to break down. So anyway can this team stop it?
Maybe try Colbur mesprit over Uxie? Both perform similar functions with similar spreads but mes can ohko with Psyshock and come in on the likes of knock off thanks to Colbur, but Uxie is a bit more naturally bulky, so its kinda a trade off.

Maybe try Colbur mesprit over Uxie? Both perform similar functions with similar spreads but mes can ohko with Psyshock and come in on the likes of knock off thanks to Colbur, but Uxie is a bit more naturally bulky, so its kinda a trade off.
K might try that. But what do you mean by Colbur Mesprit? Also could you give me the set? Thank you :D

K might try that. But what do you mean by Colbur Mesprit? Also could you give me the set? Thank you :D
Colbur is short for Colbur Berry, the berry that halves the damage of super effective dark type attacks

Mesprit @ Colbur Berry
EVs: 200 HP / 252 Def / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
- stab
- rocks
- filler
- filler

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)