ORAS OU First RMT: M-Aerodactyl Sand Balance

Hello everything in the RMT forum, I decided to post my first ever team for the public to look over, as it is finally fine tuned enough for me to feel confident in letting experienced players look at it. Without further ado, let me begin.

Oxymoron (Aerodactyl) (M) @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Unnerve
EVs: 248 Atk / 44 Def / 216 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Aerial Ace
- Earthquake
- Ice Fang

This team began around M-Aerodactyl, and has changed around his needs and weaknesses, while capitalizing on his strengths. M-Aero is my Pokemon that I use to bring down the primary 350+ speed threats, as with +216 Speed it is able to outrun all but all the fastest threats even prior to Mega Evolution. The given 44 Defense EVs allow it to switch into a Banded Brave Bird from Talonflame with 50-60% damage taken and retaliate with a Stone Edge, even prior to Mega Evolution. I opted for the EQ/Ice Fang coverage instead of Aqua Tail/Fire Fang coverage for Garchomp primarily, and will be expanded upon later.

KFC (Mandibuzz) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 248 HP / 132 Def / 108 SpD / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Foul Play
- Taunt
- Defog
- Roost

Though this position was originally occupied by Defog/Healing Wish Latias, I changed into Mandibuzz in order to carry Taunt, have a check to Megagross, as well as not lose Defog. Though the lack of Healing Wish requires Aero to play safer, the ability to shut out physical set up sweepers as well as be immune to Sand and Spore from Mega-Venu and Breloom is a large boost to the team overall. The EVs are the standard "OU Utility Buzzard" EVs, with the shown investments allowing Mandi to outrun the number of Pokemon that are hovering at or below 200 speed, while still taking a plethora of attacks.

Clockwork (Heatran) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 216 SpD / 44 Spe
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Will-O-Wisp
- Stealth Rock
- Protect

A standard choice for an OU Fire type, Heatran serves as a solid specially defensive wall capable of setting up Stealth Rocks while messing with Mega Lopunny's HJK with Protect. Protect also allows Heatran to scout for the move that Choice users lock into and react accordingly, far reducing the risk of getting predicted into a switch. It also allows more Leftovers recovery and burn damage. Lava Plume is the primary STAB for Heatran that enables it to hit Scizor and Ferrothorn, while putting fear into the hearts of even resistant physical attackers due to the 30% burn chance. Its primary goal is to stop the threats that Aerodactyl can not handle, while burning all it can to increase Aerodactyl's longevity.

Pure Fear (Hippowdon) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock
- Slack Off

Hippowdon serves as part of a powerful core along with Aerodactyl due to its large resistances and few weaknesses. With Heatran with them, these three Pokemon become a force to be reckoned with in their own right. Hippowdon is the Sand Setter for the team, increasing Aerodactyl's Special Defense by 50% whenever out recently. It is a mixed wall to enable it to switch into many threats and get sand up. The combination of its bulk and ability to set rocks will pressure most teams into taking a large portion of chip damage. Toxic is present to pressure stall teams into switching in their cleric while putting a timer on potential threats such as SD or Bulk Up Talonflame, to name one of many. The combination of this with Heatran's resistances turn set up sweepers into a near liability if used incorrectly.
My Little Pwny (Keldeo) @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Icy Wind

Keldeo is my first choice for a water type OU attacker alongside Manaphy. However the team needed a dark resistance to prevent Bisharp and Tyranitar from running rampant. The mix of Scald and Hydro Pump allow me to scare out more frail mons with the power of Hydro Pump, while potentially burning bulky resistances. Secret Sword is a wonderful move for Keldeo, as it prevents it from being completely walled by specially defensive threats,and is natural for all viable Keldeo sets. Icy Wind serves to slow switch ins, allowing Aerodactyl to outrun even the fastest scarfed threats. It also puts damage on the Lati twins, a set of upper OU Pokemon that previously completely wall out Keldeo.

Upsilon (Raikou) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 SpA / 16 SpD / 240 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Volt Switch

Raikou is a strong Volt-Turner, and is one of the fastest of its kind bar Meganectric. Originally using Sub/Calm Mind, it was unable to switch into the needed Scalds if Keldeo had fallen. AV allows Raikou to rise to a moderately bulky Pokemon, with 360 SpDef with it equipped. Hidden Power Ice is present to eliminate Landorus-I and Garchomp, while Shadow Ball is a solid 2HKO on Latios, while still chunking Latias, bearing a 50.8% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock damage, rising to 96.9% chance to 2HKO after Sandstorm damage and Stealth Rock.
252 SpA Raikou Shadow Ball vs. 72 HP / 0 SpD Latias: 128-152 (40.1 - 47.6%) -- 96.9% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and sandstorm damage
252 SpA Raikou Shadow Ball vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Latios: 148-176 (49.1 - 58.4%) -- 97.7% chance to 2HKO

The momentum that Volt Switch gives to the team allow Aerodactyl to safely switch in and use another powerful Stone Edge or Aerial Ace. The granted EVs push Raikou's speed up to 358, which is one above all forms of Serperior outside of Choice Scarf, which is extremely uncommon and loses to Heatran.

This concludes the overall overview of the team and its general goal. I hope to see what you all have to offer to it and look forward to any assistance I can get to mold this team into an even better force to be reckoned with.

Hello there! Thank you for taking the time to share your team! I also recently just posted my 1st RMT here and I know the frustration of having zero replies so I thought I’d give you a quick rate:

1. At first glance your Heatran seems largely redundant with your Hippodown to me, with both of them performing very similar roles. Because of this I suggest you change your Heatran build Given how Bulky waters stop both Aero and Keldeo I would consider changing your set to the Breaker/Lure Trapping ‘Tran used to kill bulky waters:

Heatran @ Leftovers

Timid Nature

- Magma Storm

- Earth Power

- Taunt

- Toxic

I appreciate that you have Raikou but 4 of your pokes (5 if its azumarill) don’t like Water types. If this doesn’t sound good you could also run a more offensive variant with Scarf or Specs. I use a Specs ‘Tran I think works extremely well in my own RMT.

2. It seems like your lacking a win condition, might I recommend shifting your Keldeo to be the Sub Calm Mind set which allow you to sweep late game? It is as follows:

Keldeo @ Leftovers

EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

Timid Nature

- Substitute

- Calm Mind

- Scald

- Secret Sword

If Keldeo becomes your win con the rest of the team should be structured to remove threats that stop it. This seems pretty feasible with M-Aero highting M-Venu and other bulky Grass types, and Heatran (if trapper set is used) and Raikou for Waters, and Raikou and M-Aero for Dragon types.

I appreciate that some of these changes may be unfavorable to you or to how you to play. I just wanted to give you my 2 cents after looking through the team once. I hope this was helpful and I wish you the best

P.S. Might I recommend pictures to make your rate easier/more fun to navigate? I suggest the Pokemon wiki that is where I get all my sprites from.

Hello there! Thank you for taking the time to share your team! I also recently just posted my 1st RMT here and I know the frustration of having zero replies so I thought I’d give you a quick rate:

1. At first glance your Heatran seems largely redundant with your Hippodown to me, with both of them performing very similar roles. Because of this I suggest you change your Heatran build Given how Bulky waters stop both Aero and Keldeo I would consider changing your set to the Breaker/Lure Trapping ‘Tran used to kill bulky waters:

Heatran @ Leftovers

Timid Nature

- Magma Storm

- Earth Power

- Taunt

- Toxic

I appreciate that you have Raikou but 4 of your pokes (5 if its azumarill) don’t like Water types. If this doesn’t sound good you could also run a more offensive variant with Scarf or Specs. I use a Specs ‘Tran I think works extremely well in my own RMT.

2. It seems like your lacking a win condition, might I recommend shifting your Keldeo to be the Sub Calm Mind set which allow you to sweep late game? It is as follows:

Keldeo @ Leftovers

EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

Timid Nature

- Substitute

- Calm Mind

- Scald

- Secret Sword

If Keldeo becomes your win con the rest of the team should be structured to remove threats that stop it. This seems pretty feasible with M-Aero highting M-Venu and other bulky Grass types, and Heatran (if trapper set is used) and Raikou for Waters, and Raikou and M-Aero for Dragon types.

I appreciate that some of these changes may be unfavorable to you or to how you to play. I just wanted to give you my 2 cents after looking through the team once. I hope this was helpful and I wish you the best

P.S. Might I recommend pictures to make your rate easier/more fun to navigate? I suggest the Pokemon wiki that is where I get all my sprites from.
Thank you for your response! I will certainly try the Heatran set and see how it works. However I do have a win con in Aerodactyl. It is not the traditional set up sweeper but it's ability to hit a lot of Pokemon with neutral or Super Effective damage allows it to clean weakened teams. This I prefer and coverage and damage of LO Keldeo. Eliminating bulky Pokemon would help; I will let you know how Heatran does!

If you are relictant to change Keldeo to sub cm i would suggest that you change it to Ebelt. ebelt still keeps the coverage you have and gives you that added benifit of bluffing a choice item so you can nab some suprise kills on the switchin.

gl with the team

If you are relictant to change Keldeo to sub cm i would suggest that you change it to Ebelt. ebelt still keeps the coverage you have and gives you that added benifit of bluffing a choice item so you can nab some suprise kills on the switchin.

gl with the team
I will do that, thanks for the advice.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)