ORAS OU Unleash the Beast! OU Supect Testing Mega-Houndoom Offensive Team

UNLEASH THE BEAST
INTRO: Hey everybody, my name is Deetrain and I do not really post too often, but I do lurk a bit, and want to get more active in the forums and such. I wanted to try to do my own RMT to bring something of my own, and I hope you guys enjoy. This is a team I developed on my own for the Aegislash suspect and it managed to get the reqs without changing its original six members(with minor tweaks to sets here and there), thus I figured the team would at the very least be competent for you guys to rate. By no means do I believe the team is perfect and would glady love to get feedback! Obviously there is a good chance that this team will never be used again(in current form) if Aegi stays uber, but I am somewhat proud of the team since I made it on my lonesome (obviously utilizing sets and such which are standard and what not). I usuall ramble and cant finish my thoughts so ill end this segment with this awkward sentence!

OH and some music (it seems popular in these threads), I like this song to get pumped for battle (ya Its top 40 so what) plus it suits the nature of the team because Mega Houndoom is a beast.
Team building process:

1)So the first thing I like to do whenever building a team is choosing a pokemon (usually a Mega) and possibly a second and trying to build around the two. I was actually using Mega Houndoom a lot recently (shout out to Mega Mogwai's teams for inspiring) and loved the satanic dog, I figured Houndoom would be bolstered in this meta with the presence of Aegislash, as well as less bulky fairys (namely diancie and altaria) around to deal with. Conversly I figured aegislash would make a good partner considering its steel type can handle diancie altaria etc, as well.....its a amazing pokemon!. First two members selected.

2) All teams need rocks, so why not add a Garchomp, imo the premier rock setter in the tier.I also decided that despite my offensive build (and general playstyle) that BULKY chomp would be best, as it adds a talonflame answer as well as a pivot.

3) Then two more offensive threats were necessary so I added Defiant thundurus and Keldeo. These two mons are very powerfull and break alot of the tier, plus give me very key offensive types such as water/fighting/electirc

4) Last slot I needed a scarfer imo , because anything in the 115 + speed tier would be a problem, as well as set up sweepers with ddance, plus with doggy i figured hazard control was nice, so LATIOS rounded out the squad

5) suprisingly these 6 functioned well and I made NO MEMBER changes, some spreads and moves were slightly altered while laddering.

The Team:

Without further ado!

1)

Zoe (Houndoom) (F) @ Houndoominite
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Fire Blast
- Taunt
- Dark Pulse
- Nasty Plot​

This is a standard(as you can get with a Houndoom ) set. I have kind of fallen in love with this dog, while it has many flaws (defensive typing is very explotiable, meh pre mega speed, usless mega ability, piss poor defenses), it also has many overlooked and potent positives to boost its presence. Obviously aegislash is going to be used in the tier so this mon thrives off that, but its blistering fast speed tier, outspeeding all the 110s, serperior, speed tying 115s etc, while also ohkos alot of them is insane. Plus its typing is not horrible defensively (fire typing boosters always appealed to me with their ability to not get warn down by will o wisp), it can outboost mega sabeleye, take netural moonblast on cleff etc. Doomer also shits on stall (plus 4 fb 2hkos chansey). Sludge bomb and even hp steel (mega diancie is all pretty much) CAN slashs for taunt, but in a aegi meta completley unecessary imo. I had no regrets using this dog. Nicknamed Zoe because that is my puppies name, and she is the cutest.

2)

Deathstroke (Aegislash) (M) @ Air Balloon
Ability: Stance Change
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sacred Sword
- Iron Head
- Shadow Sneak

The star of the meta for obvious reasons. Despite the fact I believe this thing should stay banned, I have found I really enjoy using him, this experience was no exception. My set may seem odd, but it really worked for. Kings shield I found is not a necessity for aegislash. This is a variant of the "crumbler set". With max attack and spa and decent natural bulk, aegislash puts in a ton of work, and functions how you would expect it to. Plus the presence of kings shield in your opponents head is somethimes enough. seriously so many times i would get out of situations because the opponent would not attack with the se move fearing the kings. I chose the moves for coverage, and because I couldnt fit priority elsewhere, I also hit hard on both sides of the coin, and this set actually puts in work v.s stall. Air baloon is amazing, creating 1v1 wins for aegislash on tons of ground pokemon (notably excadrill). The spread is adjustable, for the longest time I ran it brave with the 4 dumped in def, but changed late to ensure outspeeds on aegis, as well as uninvested base 60s. Named Deathstroke after the DC comics villain, for being a jack of all trades like him.
3)

Doomsday (Garchomp) (M) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail
- Rest​

The only thing that passes for bulk! Seriously though bulk chomp is fantastic.WIth Rocky Helmet and rough skin, and its massive invested bulk, garchomp punishes physical contact mons like nobody else, it allowed me a physical wall in pinch situations, and it is a reliable rock setter. The moves are standard D tail to prevent ridiculous set up, eq for powerul stab (even uninvested),rocks because I play pokemon. However Rest may be odd. It easly is my least clicked move however in pinches it can come handy, in particualr situations I can use it to basically reset my health bar, but in those situations Garchomp will be reduced to a physical contact blocker. Again not a commonly used move but I liked it. Spread it to maximize bulk, I did not feel the need to outspeed bisharps tbh. Named Doomsday after the DC comics villain because both are spikey!

4)

Arthur (Keldeo) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 30 HP / 0 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SpA / 30 SpD
- Secret Sword
- Hidden Power [Flying]
- Hydro Pump
- Scald​

Ah Keldeo the powerful threat. Simply put Keldeo is a great poke, with super powerful Hydros/Scalds and Secret swords. It cannot be emphasized how powerful this monster is. With its great speed it was massive asset to the team. Plus its natural uninvested bulk help in many situations (like gyra needs to be plus 2 and have eq to flat out beat keldeo, mega sharp, and I even lived a +1 dclaw on a low roll from zard x once after rocks !) The stab moves do not need to be explained, the final move HP flying is there because a) the slot is mostly filler anyway b) 2hkoing mega venu on switch is nice, make it easier for me (its not the biggest threat to my team, but if played correctly is a nusicance c) Chesnaught was used a bit more due to it walling some aegisets, and getting surprise kos on them is a bonus. Spread standard with IVS for hp flying (only on HP flying should you dump 4 into HP). Named Arthur, because...idk seemed approriate.

5)

Max (Thundurus) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 180 Atk / 76 SpA / 252 Spe
IVS: 30 Atk /30 Def (if hp ice otherwise straight 31s)
Naive Nature
- Knock Off
- Superpower
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]/grass knot​

Thundurus is a boss, plain and simple. This set in particular i find really effective as it has great coverage, but also beats lures with easy. Knock off is really cool , especially when they switch in scarf lando on expected tbolts( Defiant boost plus no scarf!), it also allowed for suprise kos on the likes of gengar , latios and latias (with some roles and sr etc), as well as overall utility. Superpower beats tran/ttar/chansey/drill etc without having to worry about spdef(tran chansey), or accuracy (drill/ttar). I slashed HP Ice and Grass knot, because I started with gknot for hippos and the rare quag, but i never used it and found many situations where i wish i had hp ice, so im sticking with hp ice...though a well played stall team with quag beat me after i made the change so be wary. THe spread is usually reversed in terms of attack and special attack, but I honestly find this more effective..and have never missed out on any kos requiring my special side. Named Max, due to electro from Spidermans name being Max (I like Comics if you can not tell)

6)

Ulyeses (Latios) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Trick
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock​

Final member of the team. Honestly a very underwhelming mon overall, not a huge fan of scarf latios, but he was a necessity I found. The scarfer that can outspeed and hit hard is always nice , gave me a soft check to +1 zards and such. outspeeding other scarfers like keldeo and lando is also nice (if only draco ohkoed scarfed variants (it misses :( from 100 ). Draco and psyschock are stab I felt were mandatory, Defog for help with houndoom, and trick to cripple certain walls. Latios really shined against teams with uber fast megas in particular Lopunny and mega manetric, otherwise he was sort of necessary support.Named after a new Superman villain from the comics (I KNOW I CANT SPELL THE NAME RIGHT...I should change it but what the heck, more authentic this way :))

Threat List:

Major:

1)MEGA MANETRIC
Mega Lopunny
Any thing that naturall outspeeds 115

All of these force me to play more carefully with certain mons, in particular latios.

2)Raikou

Falls into above category, but deserves special mention ESPECIALLY CALM MIND, like Houndoom speed ties are not fun to rely on, and its great bulk and good coverage force me into many peculiar situations.

3)Mega Gyrados:

IN theory.....oddly enough I did not encounter one in the suspect test ladder :s. On paper however a sub ddance set can be problematic. All exaserbated by the fact I do not have Twave on the thundy!

4) Azumarill:

No switch ins, suprisingly ran into very few. Garchomp usually has to eq it and let it damage itself to the point where any mons can ko it...if i get thundy in cleanly i can obv tbolt.

5) Thundurus I

Don't appreciate twave, like azu doesn't straight beat me but can dent me very hard.

Closing thoughts:

The team was definately suited to my playstyle. It is a very offensive team and should not be mistaken for balance, but the typing of the 6 mons allows for a less "hyper" offensive approach if you will. I am happy I achieved the Reqs and I believe it shows that my team is at the very least competent/viable. I acknowledge the team is not perfect by any means and would love to see the feedback!

If you want replays , I do not really save any, but I have a couple vids of using it on showdown on my CHANNEL ( link in sig.... dont want to make this a complete shamless plug)

Import:

Deathstroke (Aegislash) (M) @ Air Balloon
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sacred Sword
- Iron Head
- Shadow Sneak

Zoe (Houndoom) (F) @ Houndoominite
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Taunt
- Dark Pulse
- Nasty Plot

Doomsday (Garchomp) (M) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail
- Rest

Arthur (Keldeo) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 30 HP / 0 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SpA / 30 SpD
- Secret Sword
- Hidden Power [Flying]
- Hydro Pump
- Scald

Ulyeses (Latios) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Trick
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock

Thundurus (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 180 Atk / 76 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Knock Off
- Superpower
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]

PROOF OF Reqs/Ranks :

IDk if its important but why not

Last edited:
Hey there! Honestly speaking, it's really hard to change anything as it is very well knit together. To cover the mega lopunny and gyarados weakness you should run twave over superpower. It means you lose coverage on the threats you mentioned that super power destroys but the thing is that all those threats are covered by Keldeo anyways. It KOes Tyranitar, Excadrill, Heatran and can potentially KO Chansey, although the chances are slim.

You could try changing your Houndoom set to this:

Houndoom @ Houndoominite
EVs: 40 HP / 8 Def / 208 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse
- Will-o-Wisp

This allows you to take three Seismic Tosses from chansey and survive a Brave Bird. The reason for removing taunt is because you already have trick latios to cripple walls. Also it allows you to burn incoming gyaradoses and azumarills.

As Aegislash is now gone, I'd advise running a sp. def Heatran as it really helps with the teams fairy weakness. Also, it helps with the Mega Manectric and Raikou problem.

252 SpA Raikou Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 192+ SpD Heatran: 99-117 (25.7 - 30.3%) -- 0.6% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Mega Manectric Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 192+ SpD Heatran: 109-130 (28.3 - 33.7%) -- 96.3% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
It also hits back really hard with earth power and gives you another rocker. As it gives you another rocker, you could change Garchomp's moveset to a scarf one. A better option would be, as you've mentioned, a scizor, as that covers up for the priority loos after Aegi's departure. This allows you to run a full scarf set on Latios and give Scizor the duties of defogging. a 252 hp/ 252 def Impish Scizor further softens the Azumarill problem.

252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Scizor: 115-136 (33.4 - 39.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

If you do add this, you can keep super power on Thundurus and give Scizor Knock Off.

If you do opt for a full on offensive scarfed Latios then you should run Earthquake over Defog so that you are not walled by Heatran and it also gives you something to hit Raikou with if it has set up.

I hope I could help .Thanks again for rating my team!

Last edited:
Hey there! Honestly speaking, it's really hard to change anything as it is very well knit together. To cover the mega lopunny and gyarados weakness you should run twave over superpower. It means you lose coverage on the threats you mentioned that super power destroys but the thing is that all those threats are covered by Keldeo anyways. It KOes Tyranitar, Excadrill, Heatran and can potentially KO Chansey, although the chances are slim.

You could try changing your Houndoom set to this:

Houndoom @ Houndoominite
EVs: 40 HP / 8 Def / 208 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse
- Will-o-Wisp

This allows you to take three Seismic Tosses from chansey and survive a Brave Bird. The reason for removing taunt is because you already have trick latios to cripple walls. Also it allows you to burn incoming gyaradoses and azumarills.

As Aegislash is now gone, I'd advise running a sp. def Heatran as it really helps with the teams fairy weakness. Also, it helps with the Mega Manectric and Raikou problem.

252 SpA Raikou Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 192+ SpD Heatran: 99-117 (25.7 - 30.3%) -- 0.6% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Mega Manectric Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 192+ SpD Heatran: 109-130 (28.3 - 33.7%) -- 96.3% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
It also hits back really hard with earth power and gives you another rocker. As it gives you another rocker, you could change Garchomp's moveset to a scarf one. A better option would be, as you've mentioned, a scizor, as that covers up for the priority loos after Aegi's departure. This allows you to run a full scarf set on Latios and give Scizor the duties of defogging. a 252 hp/ 252 def Impish Scizor further softens the Azumarill problem.

252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Scizor: 115-136 (33.4 - 39.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

If you do add this, you can keep super power on Thundurus and give Scizor Knock Off.

If you do opt for a full on offensive scarfed Latios then you should run Earthquake over Defog so that you are not walled by Heatran and it also gives you something to hit Raikou with if it has set up.

I hope I could help .Thanks again for rating my team!

I definately believe banded Scizor would be my immediate switch on the team IF and WHEN aegi doesnt come back. The other changes you suggested definately have merit, in particular prankster thundy, but id definately ease into them while trying the sciz out :)

I personally however dont like scarf Chomp however!

Thanks for the rate, man

ya, scarf lati has good niche as a scarfer because its basically the fastest scarfer possible (that is used).. i am consdering AV bulky metagross with pursit for the aegi spot but not too sure.
Sorry for the late reply. If you are going to use a pursuit mon then you might as well use scizor. It will have better synergy with houndoom as the latter can switch in and get a flash fire boost.

ya and knock off is on thundy as well so I have the slot on a choice band set
Sorry for the late reply. If you are going to use a pursuit mon then you might as well use scizor. It will have better synergy with houndoom as the latter can switch in and get a flash fire boost.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)