CAP 20 CAP 20 - Name Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Scandinavy

A combination of "Scandinavia" and "Navy".

And I really like Magistrum 's "Oarmada". Simple combo that conveys both steel and an oarship in one. Really good name!

Nessaurus (Neh Sar Us)

Lochness + Saurus

Nessoarus (Neh Sore Us)

Lochness + Oar + Saurus

I feel that there aren't enough Nessie suggestions

Finally had time to post an interesting one I thought of yesterday:

Wyrmada

Wyrm (a type of dragon) + Armada (a fleet of ships)

Pronounced: Wur+ma+da

Theme-wise, it fits the key aspects of the design, the first having a dragon theme/Dragon Dance basis in Wyrm and the Water/Steel department with the idea of ships in an Armada.

Not quite as convinced looking at the name aesthetically though unlike my first suggestion which 'looked' better as a name. On the other hand this one flows quite well and Wyrm can sound like War so there's another interesting level with the pronunciation with the idea of Warships.

Not sure what option to choose for the final but maybe leaning slightly to this one? Also if going for this one does "Wur-ma-da" or "Weer-ma-da" sound better?

-----
As for feedback on others:

Naviathan hits the right notes in sounding imposing while being straightforward and looking plausible as a proper name. Easy to pronounce, flows well and brings images of navy ships that go with the design.

Ragnarow has a nice sounding ring to it and is pretty catchy.

Dreadnaut again sounds nice and imposing but be wary it can also be seen as Ghost/Dark-related from the Dread part of the word so not quite sure there.

Dragalleon has a very nice tone to it and sounds the most regal out of everything so far. Not exactly a galleon but there some liberty with names in Pokemon anyway.

Atlantium has a nice ring and conveys the sea and steel part well without forcibly attaching specific culture references, making it more accessible.

Aegirow has a nice aesthetic going on but I always feel compelled to pronounce it as ay-gee (with a hard g) instead of the specified pronunciation. So can be a bit confusing in that side at least.

WIP (#2)

Fjordwyrm

Pronounced: FEE-HOARD-WHIRM

From "fjord", where this Pokemon probably swims (sails?) and "wyrm" as in dragon.

For this one, I tried to avoid Norse mythology references while still keeping a Nordic theme and general way it sounds.

Last edited:

paintseagull

pink wingull
is a Top Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Tom the Bomb how about Maraudoar instead of Maraudark? Avoid the word "dark" and sounds more like the origin word.

In general, many of these obscure references and words that are difficult to pronounce in english really don't work well, as others have said. Aegir and Jormungandr for example are terrible. Try to keep things simple and appealing. Place names don't work well either in my opinion.

Simpler names like Yachtsaur by aim and Shiprex/Disastoar by capefeather are more in the right direction.

Some of the meme-type stuff that people are trying to work with might seem funny but they're really not *good*, and we can do better.

The design is really quite stern (bonus for a nautical term), imposing, and reminds me of cold stormy seas. I'd like to see people try harder to consider the themes of the design and have the name give the same sort of impression.

edit: I also like the names by Slapperfish . Dragalleon is probably by favourite, but it gets kind of close to Dragalge.

** MOD PSA **
Ragnarow is being used by a similar fakemon on another project, so I am pretty sure we will not slate it. BigWigs is aware of this.
Also I will remind everyone to *PLEASE READ BACK THROUGH THE THREAD* and don't post a name that is the same or very similar to one that's already been put up for discussion. Thanks!

Last edited:
WIP

Oarkan
OR-kan

Combines the word "Oar" with "Orkan", Swedish for Hurricane. This fits the "stormy seas" analogy described above, and uses the ever popular oar theme everyone seems to like so much.

Cretacerus

Survivor
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Reactions Contest Winner
Rigdrasil

Rig: nautical term for the arrangement oft sails, masts, and other spars of a vessel.
Yggdrasil: central part of Norse mythology

Also hints the words "dragon" and "sail".

Disqualified: Final Submission (Did not follow the specified final submission format)

Norrking

The North + Viking

Last edited by a moderator:

pancake

movement and location
is a Contributor Alumnus
Bugdeyrow

BUJ-ee-row

Based off of a boat type that looks very similar to our friend here (Budgerow). + Buddy

DetroitLolcat

Maize and Blue Badge Set 2014-2017
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Harboat

A combination of "Hár" (an alternate name for Odin, the chief god of Norse mythology. Also means "high") and "Boat" (a vessel for transport over water).

Pronounced: "HAR-boat"

I removed the accent from Hár because I found it pretentious (and unnecessary, as the accent in this word is clearly on the first syllable anyway), and other than that it's short, sweet, and to the point. Furthermore, Har is another name for Shiva, the Hindu god of destruction, which makes sense because this Pokemon's going to be destroying some teams. It may also come from the word "Hard", which would make sense since it's a Steel type!

Astra

talk to me nice
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
WIP

Brachiantis

BRACK-ee-an-TISS

Brachiosaurus (dinosaur similar to CAP 20's design) + Atlantic (one of the 4 major oceans of the world, fitting for a Water-type)

I don't have the name with a word showing it's Steel-type, but it's a WIP. :P

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
WIP

Ichthimo

Derived from ichthyosaur, an order of prehistoric marine reptile, and the SS Baychimo, an abandoned ship that came afloat from packed ice in the Alaskan sea in 1931 and has evaded capture ever since, making it a ghost ship.

(I'm going to play around with a couple more ghost ship names and see what turns up)

Just wanted to note, Drekar, the type of Viking ship, is spelled with one 'k,' not two. That would be my suggestion for a name, just 'cause it sounds cool (and remember, not ALL mons names are a combination of two things, especially not earlier-gen mons -- Seel? Golem? etc.) but three or four people have already suggested as much.

But yeah. Drekar. Just Drekar. That'd be a cool name.

WIP

Stallong

Pronounced Sta-Long

From Stál, steel in Icelandic, Stalwart, meaning robust, brave and enduring, 龍船 (Lóngchuán) from dragon boats and Longships (Viking boats).

The name mixes two different cultures together: Chinese and Nordic. I remember doing a bit of dragon boating when I was younger, and it was fascinating at how decorative the boats were. It reminds me of the CAP a lot, and so I used a chinese spelling for the dragon boat. The "long", while chinese for dragon, can also relate to the viking longships. Now on the flip side, I see it as having Nordic influences so I added in Stal. Steel relates to the type, while stalwart relates to how sturdy and enduring the CAP looks.

Last edited:
Secksieleggs

It comes from Seiðr, a type of Scandinavian sorcery, and it's got legs.

Last edited:

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
WIP (2)

Couraegis

Prounciation: kuh-rey-jis

Courier + Aegis, also Courageous! (Slant reference to the Norse God Aegir, too!)

Them Vikes were Brave. There's also shields on the design itself!

WIP (2)

Oaracle

Comes from Oracle with Oar fused into it
CAP 20 does have special moves and calm mind so why not play into that and have a name that both tailors to its design and its calm mind like nature, plus it flows off the tongue nicely which is always important. Also it less obscure then my previous wip.

would love to here your thoughts on it! :)

I'm really liking Stormada and Ragnarow right now. Both are super easy to pronounce, have great inspiration, and just convey the Pokemon well both in concept and design. We need more stuff like this, and less of the obscure, Norse puns we've been getting. Too bad Ragnarow can't be used...

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Might as well come chiming in with some opinions... Being Norwegian, some of these names make sense to me. Some of them in ways that were probably not intended...

Snobalt: "Norskeid" translates into "Norwegian-owned" in Norwegian. Unless you're signalling that this Pokémon totally belongs to Norway, I'd try to change it somehow.

Rowan: "Noarvik" sounds very similar to the town "Narvik", known for being the only place in Norway where the Allies had success in 1940 (for a while), and iron ore shipping.

duckpond: "Drakk" means "Drank" in Norwegian, so "Aegidrakk" makes it sound like the god was drinking heavily when he came up with that boat.

Floette: Nice name, but "Bergstad" is an existing word already. It is the common nickname of Røros, a town known for mining, a wooden church, and being frickin' cold for its latitude. It's one of the Norwegian towns furthest away from a big body of water.

I'm going to propose a name myself: Langorm. It's derived from the most famous Viking ship from history, "Ormen Lange", owned by king Olv Tryggvason. "Ormen", or "The Serpent", as it was known, was the biggest ship in Norway at the time. Alternate spellings of the name are "Ormurin Langi" (Faroese), or "Ormrinn Langi" (Old Norse). "Ormen Lange" is also the name of a somewhat-famous natural gas field off the Norwegian coast. If anybody want to make a better Pokémon name out of it, please, give it a try.

frenzyplant

Inertia is a property of matter.
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Two more WIPs:

Ragnaroar

A combination of Ragnarok, roar, and oar.

Ragnarex

A combination of Ragnarok and rex, which means "king" in Latin as well as referring to the CAP's reptilian nature by referencing T. rex.

WIP

Bruhel
Pronounced "Brew-hel"
derived from Isembard kingdom Brunel, famous for building iron ships and the Norse goddess Hel

duckpond

There's no way
is a Tiering Contributor
"Drakk" means "Drank" in Norwegian, so "Aegidrakk" makes it sound like the god was drinking heavily when he came up with that boat.
By living in Norway as well I'm aware of that, but I've rarely heard it used, and very few people speak Norwegian outside of Norway, so imho it wouldn't be a big deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)