ORAS OU Bulk and Blasting

This team has worked out for me pretty well, but I have yet to break out of the 1400 - 1500 range. I have two Pokemon with Knock Off and two with Taunt. I tried to keep my boosting to only a few Pokemon, as that strategy can be shut down very quickly. At most, any given attack will only be super effective against two Pokemon, and I have four Ground and Spikes immunities. EVs and movesets are similar or identical to Smogon's recommended sets, as I haven't yet found reasons to fine-tune them.

Edits are bold.

Hands are Faces (Scizor) @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 248 HP / 44 Atk / 16 Def / 200 Spe
Impish Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Knock Off
- Swords Dance
- Roost

I like to have at least two potential mega evolutions on my team so that I'm not especially predictable. My choice for a Mega Scizor is that I can take advantage of my opponent expecting a Choice Scizor and use that turn to get in a Swords Dance. Roost allows me to get back some health for further boosting or simple recovery. I favor Knock Off over U-Turn so that I can use something besides Bullet Punch and maintain my Swords Dance boosts. Bullet Punch is a fantastic STAB- and Technician-boosted priority attack.

Harrumph. (Conkeldurr) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 236 SpD / 20 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch
- Knock Off
- Mach Punch

Conkeldurr's Attack is sexy. I switch him in on a Rotom-W or Gliscor to absorb a status attack and then let loose with the power of Guts. Knock Off is an incredibly useful attack, and Mach Punch makes for a great way to finish off fast, weakened threats. I don't completely understand why the strongest attack of his on a few sets is Drain Punch; maybe someone can explain that or suggest alternatives.

Cheese Dog (Landorus-Therian) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 8 SpD / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Stealth Rock

Shiny Landorus is a must; why would a brown Landorus be named Cheese Dog? Anyway, Landorus-T is a favorite lead of mine, as he can come in, set Rocks, and U-Turn out. Earthquake is an awesome attack on any team, so I have this STAB user. I like to have a Ground Type to switch in on an incoming Electric attack targeted at Gyarados or Mandibuzz. As a lead, I'll sometimes start with a Knock Off and then use SR, but that's very situational.

Hsaw-Motor (Rotom-Wash) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Turn
- Pain Split
- Will-O-Wisp

I put 0 Attack IVs on my special attackers as a safeguard against Foul Play and confusion. Talonflame gives me trouble, so I have Rotom-W as a hard counter. If it doesn't switch, it's dead in a turn, and if it does, someone else is hit hard. Will-O-Wisp is a handy, if predictable, inclusion, and Pain Split provides good recovery. I've replaced Thunderbolt with Volt Turn because while bulky, Rotom-W isn't the best to just sit there spamming attacks.

BOOM (Gyarados) @ Leftovers
EVs: 88 HP / 192 Atk / 228 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bounce
- Waterfall
- Substitute
- Dragon Dance

Gyarados is another favorite lead, as a surprise Substitute works wonders against most leads. If they start with a Sableye, Ferrothorn, or another who depends on their non-damaging attacks to win battles, I get a free DD, and worst case, I can just start attacking. I've replaced Lum Berry with Leftovers. While I love the Lum Berry's status absorbing, Leftovers partners better with Substitute. Bounce is always a risk, but I love the STAB. I've considered switching it with Earthquake - thoughts?

Draigon (Latias) @ Life Orb
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog
- Healing Wish

Sorry, Mandibuzz, but you didn't quite make the cut. Latias trades its worse type matchups for improved Defense and Special Defense and - the best part - awesome Special Attack and Speed. Hazard removal is a must, so I have put it on a more offensely built fighter. Draco Meteor and Psyshock are solid STABs. Finally, Healing Wish has a nice role, as with a max speed investment and Timid nature, a near-fainted Latias can fully heal another Pokemon before taking a hit from most threats.

Last edited:
Hello there! Thank you for taking the time to share your team! I also recently just posted my 1st RMT here and I know the frustration of having zero replies so I thought I’d give you a quick rate:

At a quick glance the only thing that really sticks out to me is your Rotom-W. I personally have to strongly recommend against using Protect and Sitrus Berry, these two are much more useful in VGC than they are in OU singles. 1st off Protect is really a dead move here, since your not running leftovers and Will-o is the only status your team carries I would image Protect is largely a waste of a move. I would consider what you want this ‘mon to accomplish. If you are looking for tried and true options many trainers run Pain Split/ Rest in the final move slot with Leftovers and Chesto Berry respectively for MUCH more reliable recovery.

Those are just some quick thoughts that might be useful to you.

P.S. Might I recommend pictures to make your rate easier/more fun to navigate? I suggest the Pokemon wiki that is where I get all my sprites from.

Team looks pretty solid but I would recommend changing taunt on gyara to substitute and then changing lum to leftovers. Even though you are now susceptible to phazing the sibstitute that you can hide behind protects you from statuses. When you kill someone and you have a substitute up, fast revenge killers will not be able to kill you resulting in gyara becoming a massive pain.

I like the concept or Bulky Offense, but lets change the EV spreads a little.

Harrumph. (Conkeldurr) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 236 SpD / 20 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch
- Knock Off
- Mach Punch

Cheese Dog (Landorus-Therian) @ Leftovers
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 8 SpD / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Knock Off
- Stealth Rock

Hsaw-Motor (Rotom-Wash) @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Will EDIT later

Thanks for the replies! I'll start putting some chanfes into effect; I like the Substitute idea especially.

Last edited:
You cool team mate. I have a couple of suggestions that should benefit the team. First off, you team is shut down by Mega Sableye. It has priority wow in the first turn and then bounced the taunt right back at you. Also it spreads burns like crazy and as your team comprises mainly physical sweepers, you will be severely crippled. Even with guts conkeldurr can't do much to Sableye, as it will just recover the damage done to it. And kill you with the burn. You could mitigate this by either using substitute over taunt on gyarados or using a fairy cleric like unaware clefable. I prefer the cleric since it forces Sableye out and can pass wishes and heal statuses well. Another thing, is that if you want rotom to be a hard talonflame counter then use the defensive EV spread mentioned by Sablenite.

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability : Unaware
EVs : 248 HP / 96 Def / 168 SpD
IVs : 0 Atk
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Heal Bell
- Protect

Hope I helped :)

You lack reliable checks to a few of the tiers strongest pokemon, Mega Charizard-Y, Mega-Metagross, and Mega-Sableye to name a few. Although Mega Scizor can check Metagross with U-turn, you'll miss out on the opportunity to actually capitalize on a few free turns (of which you could boost Scizor's Atk), because U-turn forces Mega Scizor to switch out. Knock Off would benefit the team way more than U-turn would because you wouldn't want to risk checking Metagross with anything else. Lando-T & Rotom-W aren't reliable checks plus they have other things to worry about like Flying-types, Bisharp, and Mega-Lopunny. U-turn does have a few merits and works well with Lando-T and Rotom-W but in the long run Knock Off provides even more benefits.

Mandibuzz is great defensively but it can't do much of anything else especially with the moveset that you're running. You'll take a huge hit from any offensive Fairy-type every time Mandibuzz is switched in and if Scizor is weakened enough then it's probably GG because you'll have nothing fast enough to take out something like M-Diancie. Although the best thing you can do against some Fairies (especially M-Diancie) is preserve Mega Scizor, you don't want to open yourself up to them with huge bait like Mandibuzz. Mandibuzz's spot can be used for a better hazard remover like Latias, which can also check threats like Mega Charizard Y as well as Keldeo. Latias' Healing Wish can be used to restore Mega-Scizor's health should it be worn down from checking Dark/Fairy types. You could also swap Gyarados for Talonflame to give your team an option against Mega Sableye as well as a revenge killing option. Or use the SPDEF stallbreaking set. Talonflame can also clean up late game should the other team be weakened enough.

Latias (F) @ Life Orb
EVs: 112 HP / 144 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Draco Meteor
- Defog
- Roost

Talonflame @ Leftovers
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Careful Nature
- Brave Bird
- Taunt
- Roost
- Will-O-Wisp

OR

Talonflame @ No Item
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 88 HP / 252 Atk / 168 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- Acrobatics
- Flare Blitz

Mega Scizor - Knock Off > U-Turn

Alright, I've updated the OP. A big problem that I was facing was that my party didn't have quite the offensive capabilites that I was hoping for. I've made a few tweaks and added in Latias, whose base Life Orb'd 140 Special Attack will do some damage.

DennisEG

Civil Engineer
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hey man cool team, i like to suggest only one thing about Gyara set because right now u need to outspeed after +1 megas than hit 405 speed, so with this ev spread u still mantain bulk u need and get the same HKO or 2HKO rather, so here is the set:
Gyarados @ Leftovers
EVs: 104 HP / 208 Atk / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature

- Dragon Dance
- Substitute
- Bounce
- Waterfall

Allow u to outspeed those megas i've mentioned like Lopunny, Manectric, etc. And after +1 u still ko'd.
hope i help u man gl

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)