Digimon discussion thread BEWARE SPOILERS

phantom

Banned deucer.
Finally a trailer. Childhood nostalgia is fucking nigh.

Also, I was very close to getting up from my chair and applauding as I was watching omg.

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I told a few people this already but I'm loving the idea of it being a series of films rather than a show. This (hopefully) means the animation quality will be good throughout, especially for the action, and we can cut back on all that tedious filler and setup we've sat through 6 times already. Especially considering that almost all people who are into this will have already seen the show.

Really excited for this after watching the trailer! It is kind of like the Pokemon Origins for Digimon fans, now that I think about it lol

I justify the new animation for being this different, since I believe this is the quality Digimon was intenting to go with but the budget was the main problem hence recycled animations.

The original series was a low budget anime, yet, considering that it has a lot of great character moments, interesting villains etc.
I hope the animation is not the only thing that improves and actually lives up to the original. I would even accept it being at the level of 02 considering 02 was a mess from the plot prospective, it had some really good villains and character moments in Digimon history.

I think the person who can give a very similar opinion to the Digimon series and explain it way better, is a youtuber named CactusCasual who is giving his criticism to each series/movie as a whole and that seperated in plot, characters, etc. each section in a seperate video (except on a movie)
He is currently about to finish Digimon Frontier.

I actually like the idea of this series being one of films rather than TV episodes, unlike the DeviantArt community, which seems to despise it. Even then, I still consider this a "tenth movie," rather than a real seventh TV series, due to it not airing on TV.

Do you mind if we discuss other Digimon anime here as well? If you don't mind, then I have to say that Digimon Savers is actually interesting after Episode 10-11, even if it pushes people the wrong way *unpopular opinion*. Once Mercurymon (Olympus Twelve) comes into the scene, I shouldn't have to explain why. Once Kurata just barges into the show, it becomes really good.

The third arc of Xros Wars can be retconned out of continuity for all I care.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
The amount of hype I have to see MegaKabuterimon and Zudomon in HD is fucking unreal HORN BUSTER VULCAN'S HAMMER

Also this looks like it's going to be amazing from the trailer, so fuckin pumped

I actually like the idea of this series being one of films rather than TV episodes, unlike the DeviantArt community, which seems to despise it. Even then, I still consider this a "tenth movie," rather than a real seventh TV series, due to it not airing on TV.

Do you mind if we discuss other Digimon anime here as well? If you don't mind, then I have to say that Digimon Savers is actually interesting after Episode 10-11, even if it pushes people the wrong way *unpopular opinion*. Once Mercurymon (Olympus Twelve) comes into the scene, I shouldn't have to explain why. Once Kurata just barges into the show, it becomes really good.

Updated the title for this thread

If anything, the complete absence of the Adventure 02 characters from the trailer is making me more hyped for the movies
Idk Cody and Ken were cool. I agree on Davis and Yolei being fucking obnoxious but Cody and Ken should be there just to give a nod to 02 because they were the most tolerable 02 characters(Excluding TK and Kari obviously)

Since Digimon doesn't have a stable continuity, we don't know if the events outside of Adventure actually happened at all, starting from Tamers onward, although Tamers might have happened because of the Akiyama Ryo games, ending at the Tamers TV series. Does anyone understand what I'm trying to get at? Am I thinking too hard?

RODAN

Banned deucer.
Since Digimon doesn't have a stable continuity, we don't know if the events outside of Adventure actually happened at all, starting from Tamers onward, although Tamers might have happened because of the Akiyama Ryo games, ending at the Tamers TV series. Does anyone understand what I'm trying to get at? Am I thinking too hard?
adventure is fictional in the canon of tamers, literally just a show.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to knowing who that mysterious fox/cat Digimon is. I wonder if he evolves into Alphamon instead of DORUmon doing so, which probably means DORUmon won't get a hand-drawn appearance in the anime?

oh shit, dat animation...and it is animated by toei? I am actually suprised they put some efford into it.

That being said, do the Digimons still have the ability to go higher than Champion at the beginning or does this play after 02 meaning that they don't have the ability to go higher without the light of the legendary 4 Digimon?

I am really hyped

RODAN

Banned deucer.
oh shit, dat animation...and it is animated by toei? I am actually suprised they put some efford into it.

That being said, do the Digimons still have the ability to go higher than Champion at the beginning or does this play after 02 meaning that they don't have the ability to go higher without the light of the legendary 4 Digimon?

I am really hyped
i think they are retconning 02, at least that what i gather/hope

6 minutes into the 1st episode of Digimon Tri and it feels like I'm drowning in an ocean of nostalgia. Man, I've re-played the 'Butterfly' opening 4 times already by now.

So hyped.

I only watched 3 Episodes so far. I really like the character interactions and moments in the series so far.
The animation is really good for Toei standard and the first fight was quiet good.

I wonder what happened to the 02 characters since appearently they are part of the canon, yet, people don't seem to feel like talking about them or maybe they even forgot them...but at least T.K. has his 02 Digivice which confirmes they are still in that universe.

The transformation sequences are kinda meh animated and the music isn't as epic as in any other of all series.

Edit: The ending was very anti-climatic and the way they went to Omegamon. Why did they keep showing each evolution form in the fight?

Last edited:

reyscarface

is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusdefeated the Smogon Frontier
World Defender
I wish we could have gotten at least the WARP evolution animations, Wargreymon is my fav and not getting to see the hot evo upset me.

That being said I absolutely loved this and I got shivers from certain scenes, like the first evolution. Damn, cant wait for April.

Oh and I really really hope they use the 02 egg evolution theme (Break Up) and not just Brave Heart. Brave Heart is fantastic but Break Up is amazing too and the beginning of it gives me just as many chills.

Last edited:

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So I get that their Crests were in them all along and shit at the ending of Adventures, and it's supposed to be that they've (Or at least Tai and Matt) have drifted away from their defining characteristic, so how the fuck did Tai actually Ultimate or even Mega Agumon? He's not being brave, he's not being being anything other than an emotional teenager. It boils down to essentially, "who am I really?" and he doesn't even face it. He's just like, "oh this pacifist thing kind of blows, might as well fight and regret it all the time." At least Matt struggled with Friendship. Even though it is hard to be friends with Tai, Matt seems like the only one who even tried to keep the gang together.

Overall I'm just mad with the direction they took Tai in. That and no WARP, seriously? It would've been way better than the fight digivolves than they went for.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)