XY OU First RMT ever! OU-Tier

This is the first time I'm posting on this forum and the first RMT I ever posted!

This is my 3th Team I "made".

First Team gave me a lot of wins online, second Team a lot less, that's why I made this new Team.
Please be as critical as you can be, but give me right information.

MY OU TEAM

I first posted my Team and waited for comments.
New I've changed my Team.
First you see my edited Team, down below is how it first was.

Mamoswine @ Focus Sash - Entry Hazard Lead

Jolly Nature / Thick Fat Ability

EV's: 252Atk / 4Def / 252 Speed

Moves: Stealth Rock / Ice Shard / Earthquake / Knock Off

I love using Entry Hazards like Stealth Rock. Since the 4th Gen I’ve always had a Lead with SR.
So when I started searching which Pokémon is a good Lead AND can use 1 or multiple Entry Hazards, I found this guy! Thick Fat Ability because Fire and Ice-type moves deal 50% damage, so 1 Type that’s Super Effective less! Focus Sash just to be sure I can lay SR’s. EQ=STAB. Knock Off is very handy especially against Rocky Helmet and Focus Sash holding Leads. Ice Shard = STAB+Priority!

Immune for Electric Moves; Synergy with Gyarados

Resists Poison; Synergy with Azumarill

Metagross @ Metagrossite - Revenge Killer

Adamant Nature / Tough Claws Ability

EV's: 68HP / 252Atk / 188 Speed

Moves: Thunder Punch / Zen Headbutt / Bullet Punch / Ice Punch

Wanted to try out a new Mega-Pokémon and I love to use Revenge Killers! Thunder Punch to get down Tanky Water-Types. Bullet Punch=STAB+Priority. Zen Headbutt=STAB. Ice Punch to be sure to knock down Gliscor – Garchomp - Landorus-T.

Resists Steel and Grass Moves; Synergy with Mamoswine

Resists Ice and Dragon Moves; Synergy with Latias

Resists Rock Moves; Synergy with Gyarados

Resists Grass and Immune for Poison; Synergy with Azumarill

Resists Steel; Synergy with Sylveon

Sylveon @ Leftovers - Cleric

Calm Nature / Pixilate Ability

EV's: 252HP / 4 Def / 252 Sp Def

Moves: Hyper Voice / Toxic / Protect / Wish

Sylveon. At first I didn't really like the whole Fairy-Type concept, until I used this little guy in my previous Team. Just gotta love it! Hyper Voice+Pixilate=Killer! Wish+Protect helps him to be sure he can Heal.

Great Dragon-counter, can take more then a few hits, and is also to take Pokémon down.

Resists Bug and Dark and is Immune for Dragon; Synergy with Latias

Resists Dark; Synergy with Metagross

Azumarill @ Assault Vest - Pivot + Hole-Puncher

Adamant Nature / Huge Power Ability

EV's: 240HP / 252Atk / 16 Sp Def

Moves: Play Rough / Aqua Jet / Waterfall / Superpower

Assault Vest Boosts Special Defense which gives him more chance to survive Special Electric-Grass-Steel-Poison moves. Play Rough=STAB. Waterfall=STAB. Aqua Jet=STAB+Priority. Huge Power? ATTACK DOUBLED, which gives him, in combo with Adamant Nature, 31 Atk IV’s and 252 Atk EV’s more Attack then Mega Sharpedo – Mega Metagross – and even Mega Salamence!

Resists Ice Moves; Synergy with Latias

Resists Fire; Synergy with Metagross

Latios @ Life Orb - Special Sweeper

Timid Nature / Levitate Ability

EV's: 252 SP Atk / 4 Sp Def / 252 Speed

Moves: Draco Meteor / Defog / Recover / Psyshock

Not slow at all + great Special Defense + good Defense. Again: is able to survive a few attacks and is even more able to beat a few Pokémon! Life Orb for just that bit extra power. Draco Meteor=STAB. Defog for removes Entry Hazards. Recover to Heal when needed so it can survive even a tad longer, without the side effect Roost has.. Psyshock=STAB + Damage depends on opponents Def, not Sp Def.
Resists Fighting, Grass, Fire and Water; Synergy with Mamoswine

Resists Fire and is Immune for Ground; Synergy with Metagross.

Resists Grass and Electric; Synergy with Azumarill

Resists Electric; Synergy with Gyarados

Gyarados @ Lum Berry - Bulky Offensive

Adamant Nature / Intimidate Ability

EV's: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Speed

Moves: Dragon Dance / Earthquake / Waterfall / Ice Fang

A LOT of Atk and Sp Def. Also not less Def. So: Can take a hit and can give a few more! DD; when possible make it even stronger and faster! EQ: to hit Electric-Type, which are Super Effective against him. Waterfall=STAB.

Resists Fighting, Steel, Fire and Water; Synergy with Mamoswine

Resists Fire and is Immune for Ground; Synergy with Metagross

Resists Bug; Synergy with Latias

Team without changes

I love using Entry Hazards like Stealth Rock. Since the 4th Gen I’ve always had a Lead with SR.
So when I started searching which Pokémon is a good Lead AND can use 1 or multiple Entry Hazards, I found this guy! Thick Fat Ability because Fire and Ice-type moves deal 50% damage, so 1 Type that’s Super Effective less! Focus Sash just to be sure I can lay SR’s. EQ=STAB. Knock Off is very handy especially against Rocky Helmet and Focus Sash holding Leads. Ice Shard = STAB+Priority!

Immune for Electric Moves; Synergy with Gyarados

Resists Poison; Synergy with Azumarill

Sylveon @ Leftovers - Cleric

Bold Nature / Pixilate Ability

EV's: 252HP / 220 Def / 36 Sp Def

Moves: Hyper Voice / Toxic / Protect / Wish

Sylveon. At first I didn't really like the whole Fairy-Type concept, until I used this little guy in my previous Team. Just gotta love it! Hyper Voice+Pixilate=Killer! Wish+Protect helps him to be sure he can Heal.

Great Dragon-counter, can take more then a few hits, and is also to take Pokémon down.

Resists Bug and Dark and is Immune for Dragon; Synergy with Latias

Resists Dark; Synergy with Metagross

Moves: Meteor Mash / Zen Headbutt / Bullet Punch / Ice Punch

Wanted to try out a new Mega-Pokémon and I love to use Revenge Killers! Meteor Mash=STAB. Bullet Punch=STAB+Priority. Zen Headbutt=STAB. Ice Punch to be sure to knock down Gliscor – Garchomp - Landorus-T.

Resists Steel and Grass Moves; Synergy with Mamoswine

Resists Ice and Dragon Moves; Synergy with Latias

Resists Rock Moves; Synergy with Gyarados

Resists Grass and Immune for Poison; Synergy with Azumarill

Assault Vest Boosts Special Defense which gives him more chance to survive Special Electric-Grass-Steel-Poison moves. Play Rough=STAB. Waterfall=STAB. Aqua Jet=STAB+Priority. Huge Power? ATTACK DOUBLED, which gives him, in combo with Adamant Nature, 31 Atk IV’s and 252 Atk EV’s more Attack then Mega Sharpedo – Mega Metagross – and even Mega Salamence!

Resists Ice Moves; Synergy with Latias

Resists Fire; Synergy with Metagross

Gyarados @ Wacan Berry - Bulky Offensive

Adamant Nature / Intimidate Ability

EV's: 88HP / 192Atk / 4Def / 224 Sp Def

Moves: Dragon Dance / Earthquake / Waterfall / Ice Fang

A LOT of Atk and Sp Def. Also not less Def. So: Can take a hit and can give a few more! DD; when possible make it even stronger and faster! EQ: to hit Electric-Type, which are Super Effective against him. Waterfall=STAB.

Resists Fighting, Steel, Fire and Water; Synergy with Mamoswine

Resists Fire and is Immune for Ground; Synergy with Metagross

Resists Bug; Synergy with Latias

Latias @ Life Orb - Special Sweeper

EV's: 76HP / 252 SP Atk / 180 Speed

Moves: Dragon Pulse / Energy Ball / Roost / Psychic

Not slow at all + great Special Defense + good Defense. Again: is able to survive a few attacks and is even more able to beat a few Pokémon! Life Orb for just that bit extra power. Dragon Pulse=STAB. Energy Ball for beating those Metagross-hating Ground Types and for protecting itself and Gyarados against Rock-Type Moves. Roost to Heal when needed so it can survive even a tad longer. Psychic=STAB.
Resists Fighting, Grass, Fire and Water; Synergy with Mamoswine

Resists Fire and is Immune for Ground; Synergy with Metagross.

Resists Grass and Electric; Synergy with Azumarill

Resists Electric; Synergy with Gyarados

Last edited:
I find an issue with this particular Latias,,,
It is not mega latias, meaning it should be running Defog or Healing Wish. Energy Ball doesnt really hit anything special; its better to be able to heal a teammate or get rid of entry hazards.

"At first I thought Fairy-Types were gay" - Kinda inapp. Perhaps use MG Clefable > Cleric Sylveon as it kinda outclasses it.
I feel your team would value a thundurus, to take out Mega Slowbro, who has some fun against you after a CM or two.
Considering swapping Thundy for Gyarados. You can use Nasty Plot if you want to keep the option of a WinCon.
Consider finding a way to insert a FWG core; it would make finding synergies much easier.

I find an issue with this particular Latias,,,
It is not mega latias, meaning it should be running Defog or Healing Wish. Energy Ball doesnt really hit anything special; its better to be able to heal a teammate or get rid of entry hazards.

"At first I thought Fairy-Types were gay" - Kinda inapp. Perhaps use MG Clefable > Cleric Sylveon as it kinda outclasses it.
I feel your team would value a thundurus, to take out Mega Slowbro, who has some fun against you after a CM or two.
Considering swapping Thundy for Gyarados. You can use Nasty Plot if you want to keep the option of a WinCon.
Consider finding a way to insert a FWG core; it would make finding synergies much easier.
Sorry for the inapp. thing, changed it.
So this is what you suggest?

Clefable @ Leftovers

Calm Nature / Magic Guard Ability

EV's: 252HP / 160Def / 96 Sp Def

Moves: Calm Mind / Moonblast / Soft-Boiled / Flamethrower

Moves: Meteor Mash / Zen Headbutt / Bullet Punch / Ice Punch

Thundurus @ Life Orb

Timid Nature / Prankster Ability

EV's: 4Def / 252 Sp Atk / 252 Speed

Moves: Nasty Plot / Thunderbolt / Hidden Power Ice / Focus Blast

Latias @ Life Orb - Special Sweeper

EV's: 76HP / 252 SP Atk / 180 Speed

Moves: Dragon Pulse / Defog / Roost / Psychic

And what exactly do you mean with WinCon and FWG core?
Thanks for helping!

Hey Pistedon, I fought you on showdown last night and promised I would get back to you later so here goes. Looking at your team I see two things main things that could be changed or considered. Besides Sylveon this team is mostly hyper offence, I don't think your current set for it fits with the rest of your team. I also noticed that you have quite a lot of type redundancy and coverage redundancy. I would say you need to choose which type of team you are wanting to run, pure ho or a more balanced team with another wally pokemon or two.

As for each individual mon here are my suggestions:

Mamoswine:
To be honest I don't think dedicated leads are very effective in this meta as compared with past generations. Once your mamo is dead and the opposing team defogs there is no more rocks. I usually prefer to run rocks on a bulky pokemon that can usually get them off multiple times such as heatran, ferrothorn, garchomp or landorus-T. If you want to continue to run focus sash though I would say endeavor could be worth a slot over knock off. You could then give azu knock off instead of superpower if you wanted. But like I said earlier I would consider a different rock setter, especially if you want a more balanced team.

Sylveon:
With your current team sylveon seems pretty out of place. It is your only defensive mon and generally only having one instead of defensive core of sorts is not as effective. I find the bold sylveon to be better on battlespot since you only have three pokemon. Calm max spdef sticks to its strengths and you have team support that should make up for its lackluster defense. I would also consider heal bell over toxic since a lot of your pokemon are weak to burns and don't take well to paralysis.

Metagross:
Your current set is too slow IMO. The great thing about mega metagross is that it hits that all important speed tier of 110. Not running jolly and max speed lets you lose out on outspeeding a lot of things, and bullet punch doesn't always make up for that. I would say if you are still keen to run adamant then you should run agility and forgo bullet punch all together. You could also consider running grassknot with a naive nature so you can hit slowbro which is a problem for your team.

Azumarill:
This guy looks pretty good. You could do knock off instead of superpower so you don't get the def and atk drop. You could also consider a choice band for more power. His typing is kind of redundant between sylveon and gyarados.

Gyarados:
His coverage with mamoswine and Azumarill is pretty redundant. Also his ev spread is poor for a dragon dancer. He is adamant and has no speed investment meaning it will take multiple dragon dances to outspeed fast things. I would consider scrapping him in favor of something else.

Latias:
if you are using this guy you should be using defog or healing wish. These are the only things she does better than Latios who is superior in almost every way except defensively. I would run an ev set of 72 hp, 184 SpA and 252 Spe. This gives it some more bulk, the speed it wants a good attacking power with life orb. You should go with draco meteor of dragon pulse because it is a nuke, psyshock instead of Psychic so you aren't as walled by blobs like sylveon and chansey. Defog is a must. For the last slot it is up to you, energy ball is just for mega slowbro, but chances are it will have set up a calm mind before you switch in. I would go for hidden power fire. Ferrothorn and scizor love to switch in on latias expecting the draco meteor or a defog, this is good for nailing them on the switch.

Usually when you build teams you choose 1 pokemon that you want to build around, or a core as your potential "win condition". This is a mon that can sweep through the opposing team once its checks and counters are weakened. This win condition will not be static and will changed depending on the opposing team. If you see a water weak team and take out all their water counters, azumarill could be a win condition with aqua jet for example. Identifying your win condition in a given battle is essential to victory. Look at which pokemon can take out a majority of the opponents mons and what will stop a sweep. Keep your win condition safe until it is ready to wreak havoc. It is important to know in a given battle which pokemon won't help you much and may be good to sack so you can get something better in. This is the key to a good hyper offence team.

A FWG core is a just a core of pokemon that have fire water and grass typing together. It is a pretty popular core along with the fantasy core (dragon, steel, fairy). These cores are popular because a lot of the time the pokemon check each others weaknesses quite well.

When you are making a team you want to focus on not having redundant typings and moves in most cases. You don't want to just create a team with lots of different types though. Look at what pokemon counter and check a given pokemon and build from there with things that protect each other and are complementary. This is the best way to teambuild. I am going to link you to the oras good cores thread which has a lot of cool offensive and defensive cores with great synergy. I would suggest trying to build a team around one of these cores because they are proven to work. Seeing how these pokes interact with each other in battle will give you a better idea of how cores work and will help you build your own cores better. When you are building teams you also want to make sure each pokemon has its own niche and way it supports the team, ie most of the time you don't want to have two dragon dancers (not that you're doing that on this team haha).

Here is the good cores thread http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/oras-good-cores.3520901/
The descriptions of each core are very helpful in understanding how a team works best together.

EDIT: I was trying to find another really good core thread too but I can't seem to find it...
A core I would try if I were you is mega metagross, keldeo and talonflame.

Last edited:
Hey Pistedon, I fought you on showdown last night and promised I would get back to you later so here goes. Looking at your team I see two things main things that could be changed or considered. Besides Sylveon this team is mostly hyper offence, I don't think your current set for it fits with the rest of your team. I also noticed that you have quite a lot of type redundancy and coverage redundancy. I would say you need to choose which type of team you are wanting to run, pure ho or a more balanced team with another wally pokemon or two.

As for each individual mon here are my suggestions:

Mamoswine:
To be honest I don't think dedicated leads are very effective in this meta as compared with past generations. Once your mamo is dead and the opposing team defogs there is no more rocks. I usually prefer to run rocks on a bulky pokemon that can usually get them off multiple times such as heatran, ferrothorn, garchomp or landorus-T. If you want to continue to run focus sash though I would say endeavor could be worth a slot over knock off. You could then give azu knock off instead of superpower if you wanted. But like I said earlier I would consider a different rock setter, especially if you want a more balanced team.

Sylveon:
With your current team sylveon seems pretty out of place. It is your only defensive mon and generally only having one instead of defensive core of sorts is not as effective. I find the bold sylveon to be better on battlespot since you only have three pokemon. Calm max spdef sticks to its strengths and you have team support that should make up for its lackluster defense. I would also consider heal bell over toxic since a lot of your pokemon are weak to burns and don't take well to paralysis.

Metagross:
Your current set is too slow IMO. The great thing about mega metagross is that it hits that all important speed tier of 110. Not running jolly and max speed lets you lose out on outspeeding a lot of things, and bullet punch doesn't always make up for that. I would say if you are still keen to run adamant then you should run agility and forgo bullet punch all together. You could also consider running grassknot with a naive nature so you can hit slowbro which is a problem for your team.

Azumarill:
This guy looks pretty good. You could do knock off instead of superpower so you don't get the def and atk drop. You could also consider a choice band for more power. His typing is kind of redundant between sylveon and gyarados.

Gyarados:
His coverage with mamoswine and Azumarill is pretty redundant. Also his ev spread is poor for a dragon dancer. He is adamant and has no speed investment meaning it will take multiple dragon dances to outspeed fast things. I would consider scrapping him in favor of something else.

Latias:
if you are using this guy you should be using defog or healing wish. These are the only things she does better than Latios who is superior in almost every way except defensively. I would run an ev set of 72 hp, 184 SpA and 252 Spe. This gives it some more bulk, the speed it wants a good attacking power with life orb. You should go with draco meteor of dragon pulse because it is a nuke, psyshock instead of Psychic so you aren't as walled by blobs like sylveon and chansey. Defog is a must. For the last slot it is up to you, energy ball is just for mega slowbro, but chances are it will have set up a calm mind before you switch in. I would go for hidden power fire. Ferrothorn and scizor love to switch in on latias expecting the draco meteor or a defog, this is good for nailing them on the switch.

Usually when you build teams you choose 1 pokemon that you want to build around, or a core as your potential "win condition". This is a mon that can sweep through the opposing team once its checks and counters are weakened. This win condition will not be static and will changed depending on the opposing team. If you see a water weak team and take out all their water counters, azumarill could be a win condition with aqua jet for example. Identifying your win condition in a given battle is essential to victory. Look at which pokemon can take out a majority of the opponents mons and what will stop a sweep. Keep your win condition safe until it is ready to wreak havoc. It is important to know in a given battle which pokemon won't help you much and may be good to sack so you can get something better in. This is the key to a good hyper offence team.

A FWG core is a just a core of pokemon that have fire water and grass typing together. It is a pretty popular core along with the fantasy core (dragon, steel, fairy). These cores are popular because a lot of the time the pokemon check each others weaknesses quite well.

When you are making a team you want to focus on not having redundant typings and moves in most cases. You don't want to just create a team with lots of different types though. Look at what pokemon counter and check a given pokemon and build from there with things that protect each other and are complementary. This is the best way to teambuild. I am going to link you to the oras good cores thread which has a lot of cool offensive and defensive cores with great synergy. I would suggest trying to build a team around one of these cores because they are proven to work. Seeing how these pokes interact with each other in battle will give you a better idea of how cores work and will help you build your own cores better. When you are building teams you also want to make sure each pokemon has its own niche and way it supports the team, ie most of the time you don't want to have two dragon dancers (not that you're doing that on this team haha).

Here is the good cores thread http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/oras-good-cores.3520901/
The descriptions of each core are very helpful in understanding how a team works best together.

EDIT: I was trying to find another really good core thread too but I can't seem to find it...
A core I would try if I were you is mega metagross, keldeo and talonflame.
Thank you :D

Anyone else with their opinion? :)

Earthquake/Hammer arm on Metagross is much better than thunderpunch because they hit more things and thunderpuch is a bit gimmicky and the surprise factor isn't worth losing lots of coverage.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)