Tyrantrum

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
This thing is a dinosaur...a badass...a king. Extinct yet invincible for the era of its time. This is the epitome of manliness, of power, of badassery, and of all awesomeness ever!

[OVERVIEW]

Tyrantrum makes for a powerful wallbreaker in the UU tier thanks to its access to two mind-blowingly powerful STAB moves in a recoil-free Head Smash and Outrage, especially coming off its high base 121 Attack. Tyrantrum also possesses a good physical movepool that gives it wide coverage. Furthermore, Tyrantrum also possesses good physical bulk along with resistances to Fire, Flying, and Poison, allowing it to take on a few relevant threats well, such as Darmanitan, Crobat, and to an extent Entei. However, Tyrantrum has relatively mediocre Speed, which makes it fairly easy to revenge kill. This is compounded by its weaknesses to Fighting-, Ground-, Fairy-, and Dragon-types, leaving it prone to common Pokemon such as Mienshao, Krookodile, Whimsicott, and Salamence. Tyrantrum also possesses poor special bulk, making it easy to take down with a special attack.

[SET]
name: Choice Band
move 1: Head Smash
move 2: Outrage
move 3: Earthquake
move 4: Superpower
item: Choice Band
ability: Rock Head
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
nature: Adamant / Jolly

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Head Smash serves as Tyrantrum's primary STAB move, which packs an incredible amount of power. Thanks to Rock Head, Tyrantrum can use this move without any recoil. Outrage hits quite hard as well, and it hits several Pokemon that resist Head Smash such as Swampert, Chesnaught, and Machamp. Earthquake allows Tyrantrum to hit opposing Nidoqueen, Cobalion, and to an extent Doublade hard. Superpower serves as a powerful move to hit Krookodile hard, OHKOing offensive variants while heavily denting defensive variants.

Set Details
========

A Choice Band allows Tyrantrum to hit with extreme immediate power right off the bat, while Rock Head allows Tyrantrum to use Head Smash without worrying about recoil. An Adamant nature along with maximum Attack and Speed investment allows Tyrantrum to hit very hard, but a Jolly nature allows Tyrantrum to outspeed Modest Chandelure and Nidoqueen, which can be important.

Usage Tips
========

Tyrantrum, with this set, becomes an extremely powerful wallbreaker. Therefore, it is advised that one try to get Tyrantrum into the battle safely so it can proceed to do significant damage to the opposing team. It is important to be aware that Tyrantrum possesses a relatively mediocre Speed tier, which makes it quite easy to revenge kill.

Team Options
========

A Pokemon that can deal with faster teams, such as Heliolisk or Choice Scarf Krookodile, is a great option to help Tyrantrum against more offensive builds. Such Pokemon can also benefit from Tyrantrum's ability to wallbreak effectively. Whimsicott can also help Tyrantrum deal with offensive teams better, either via Stun Spore or Tailwind. It can also deal with opposing Pokemon that beat Tyrantrum such as bulky Water-types, Dragon-types, Fighting-types, and Krookodile. Salamence and Hydreigon can both form a strong wallbreaking core with Tyrantrum by breaking down many of Tyrantrum's counters such as Mega Aggron. Nidoqueen can take on Heracross and Mienshao while setting up Stealth Rock. Late-game cleaners such as Slurpuff and Mega Sharpedo also benefit from Tyrantrum's wallbreaking prowess, as it allows them to clean more efficiently late-game. Finally, entry hazard support is also appreciated to help Tyrantrum wallbreak more efficiently. Forretress, Froslass, and Chesnaught can all provide effective entry hazard support.

[SET]
name: Rock Polish
move 1: Rock Polish
move 2: Head Smash
move 3: Dragon Claw / Outrage
move 4: Earthquake
item: Life Orb / Lum Berry
ability: Rock Head
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
nature: Jolly

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Rock Polish boosts Tyrantrum's Speed to an extremely high level, allowing it to outspeed many Pokemon in the metagame. Head Smash provides a powerful STAB move that severely dents almost everything. Dragon Claw allows Tyrantrum to hit Pokemon that resist Head Smash somewhat hard. Outrage, however, provides immense power and neutral coverage, but it locks Tyrantrum into the move. Earthquake allows Tyrantrum to hit Steel-types such as Cobalion and Doublade quite hard.

Set Details
========

Maximum Attack and Speed investment is needed for Tyrantrum to best sweep. A Jolly nature is preferred over Adamant because it allows Tyrantrum to outspeed Choice Scarf Mienshao and Infernape after a boost. Rock Head allows Tyrantrum to freely use Head Smash without any recoil. Life Orb is generally the preferred choice for the extra power, while Lum Berry can allow Tyrantrum to have a one-time cure of status while setting up. Alternatively, Stone Plate can be used on Tyrantrum to give a slight boost to Head Smash's power without the drawback of Life Orb's recoil.

Usage Tips
========

This particular set of Tyrantrum performs more as a sweeper than a wallbreaker, and works best late in the game. However, Tyrantrum still packs strong power with this set, so make use of it whenever possible. Tyrantrum finds its best setup opportunities against Pokemon that cannot touch it, such as Crobat and Entei, as well as defensive Pokemon such as Mandibuzz, so make use of such setup opportunities.

Team Options
========

This set of Tyrantrum works excellently with other wallbreaking Dragon-types such as Salamence and Hydreigon, which can help remove threats such as Swampert and Nidoqueen. Heracross also wallbreaks decently, and it can handle Mamoswine, Krookodile, and Bronzong nicely. A Volt Switch user such as Forretress or Heliolisk can also help get Tyrantrum in safely in order to set up. Forretress can also provide Rapid Spin and entry hazard support, both of which can prove very useful. Chesnaught, Froslass, and Mega Aggron can all provide entry hazard support to allow Tyrantrum to sweep more effectively.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
========

Tyrantrum has access to the move Dragon Dance, which it can utilize to boost both Attack and Speed at once. However, even after one boost, Tyrantrum still finds itself easily revenge killed by Choice Scarf users such as Mienshao, Krookodile, and Hydreigon. It can also learn Hone Claws, which can make its Head Smash stronger and also accurate, but this strategy is generally not reliable. Tyrantrum can also make use of Stealth Rock to support its team, but there are generally more effective users of Stealth Rock available, such as Krookodile, Mamoswine, and Nidoqueen. Tyrantrum can also use Mental Herb on the Rock Polish set in order to bypass Taunt and Encore from Whimsicott, but this is incredibly situational.

Checks and Counters
========

**Steel-types**: Mega Aggron in particular can take on anything Tyrantrum has to offer, having the sheer bulk to tank even an Earthquake. It can then retaliate with Heavy Slam or Earthquake. Bronzong can also take on Tyrantrum to a decent degree and hit it with Gyro Ball.

**Faster Pokemon**: In particular, Fighting-, Ground-, and Dragon-types are capable of revenge killing Tyrantrum with relative ease. Good examples of these Pokemon include Mienshao, Krookodile, Mamoswine, and Salamence, all of which can revenge kill Tyrantrum.

**Bulky Water-types**: Water-types, though not able to safely switch into Tyrantrum, can still avoid an OHKO in a one-on-one situation and either force it out or threaten it with Scald or Ice Beam. Good examples include Suicune, Mega Blastoise, and Swampert.

Last edited:
Great analysis. I agree with the two sets listed, with DD and Hone Claws mentioned in OO since they don't perform too well in this tier. Couple things to add:

The intro should mention its rather terrible special bulk (2HKOd by Mega Pidgeot after SR iirc).

Checks and Counters should include bulky Water-types. While they can't switch into CB Head Smash, they can at least force Tyrantrum out in 1v1 scenarios. They prevent the Rock Polish set from sweeping while they're healthy and can threaten to burn or just 2HKO Tyrantrum with Scald or Ice Beam.

Team Options of CB: Whimsicott also can handle Ground- and Water-types, both of which can give Tyrantrum some trouble.

Is there any reason to actually use Zen Headbutt? Far as I can tell, every target of this dies to another move. If not, remove it from OO.

Dragon Claw slashed with Outrage on the second set.

Just a single nitpick; I think you should list a cleric under TO for the first set, because even with CB Adamant Head Smash (which is fucking destructive), it won't do very much. For example, it fails to OHKO Heracross now :(. Paralyze will leave it easily revenge killed, id also mention it in to for if tyrantrum is not running lum berry which is the second slash.

maybe status could even go into c&c but im not rly sure since tyrantrum puts so much offensive pressure on the foe if it has lum berry which disallows the foe to go for status again.

I think Superpower should be on the Choice Band set instead of Crunch. Bronzong is pretty much the only relevant thing hit by Crunch that you can't hit with other coverage, while Superpower lets you hit Krookodile and Ferroseed while also providing harder-hitting coverage in general. It gets the KO against Cobalion that Earthquake falls short of, and also avoids (admittedly rare) shuca berry and balloon sets that you sometimes see on Steel-types.

-1 252+ Atk Choice Band Tyrantrum Outrage vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Krookodile: 171-202 (43.4 - 51.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
-1 252+ Atk Choice Band Tyrantrum Superpower vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Krookodile: 228-270 (57.8 - 68.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
-2 252+ Atk Choice Band Tyrantrum Superpower vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Krookodile: 170-202 (43.1 - 51.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

-1 252+ Atk Choice Band Tyrantrum Outrage vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Krookodile: 246-291 (74 - 87.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
-1 252+ Atk Choice Band Tyrantrum Superpower vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Krookodile: 328-388 (98.7 - 116.8%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Tyrantrum Head Smash vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Ferroseed: 97-115 (33.2 - 39.3%) -- 100% chance to 3HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Tyrantrum Superpower vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Ferroseed: 210-248 (71.9 - 84.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Tyrantrum Earthquake vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Cobalion: 274-324 (84.5 - 100%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Tyrantrum Superpower vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Cobalion: 328-388 (101.2 - 119.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Aside from the above cases, Superpower is generally your best move for softening up Tyrantrum's checks and counters. You don't want to lock into Outrage before you're ready to make some kills, and a neutral Superpower hits slightly harder than a resisted Head Smash without depleting its limited PP. The stat drops suck, but if you're just trying to wear down the enemy team and leave some welts it's great for doing that.

Remove Superpower and Zen Headbutt from Other Options; QC 1/3 after that.

Ernesto edit: and fix the slashes imo. While LO can go with Outrage too, Lum must definitely shouldn't go with D-Claw, which is extraordinarily weak otherwise—being only 5 BP stronger than Head Smash against Rock resists :o

LeoLancaster

does this still work
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Why is Hippowdon not in C&C? The only thing Hippo fears is Adamant Banded Outrage, since Jolly can't 2HKO reliably at all:

252 Atk Choice Band Tyrantrum Outrage vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hippowdon: 178-211 (42.3 - 50.2%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

EQ is a 2HKO back and Hippo has Slack Off to stay healthy. And if Hippo switches into Head Smash Tyrantrum becomes rocks bait.

^i know I already checked this but yeah fat grounds should get their own section in C&C with Hippo being the primary one. Doublade should be specifically mentioned under Steel types as well.

If we're adding checks, Chesnaught is another good one. Even Choice Band Tyrantrum can't quite 2HKO it with Outrage. Chesnaught frustrated the hell outta me when I ran a team based around Band Tyrantrum; I was this close to running Aerial Ace just to spite the thing after a couple consecutive matches against teams with defensive Chesnaught.

Entei pressures most of Tyrantrum's defensive checks, such as Forretress, Chesnaught, Doublade, and Mega Aggron, while being able to burn Pokemon like Hippowdon and Swampert, giving them a more difficult time checking Tyrantrum. Therefore, I would mention Entei as a teammate, at least for the Choice Band set.

Dragon Claw Has to be mentioned in the Choice Band set as it does not lock Tyrantrum in, which means it can switch out. Also say it cannot switch directly into Entei because of Sacred Fire 50% Burn.

Dragon Claw isn't a very useful move for the Band Set. Its BP is just too low, and even after STAB it only hits as hard as Superpower does. Dragon-type moves offer no meaningful coverage to Tyrantrum; I literally can't think of a single pokemon it'd let Tyrantrum beat that it couldn't otherwise. The only reason that Outrage gets run is because of how hard it hits.

Last edited:

Kreme

You might be right but you're not correct.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I think Crunch deserves a mention in OO, I know it was brought up earlier being inferior to Superpower but an OO mention seems fitting. I would mention in Usage Tips for the Rock Polish set about how it can setup on Entei but has to beware of getting burnt via Sacred Fire while attempting to do as such. I would change Superpower's description on the CB set and mention it OHKOes offensive Krookodile variants, small change but it's a bit more descriptive. I would change the Team Options for both sets to wallbreakers in general instead of a lot of specific individual mentions, you could give those a specific mention afterwards. I would mention sweepers and cleaners in the Team Options of the CB set as they can take advantage of Tyrantrum's wallbreaking capabilities. Slurpuff and Mega Sharpedo are respective examples. I would mention entry hazard support in TO for both sets, as entry hazards help Tyrantrum wallbreak, as well as clean. I'm not QC obviously so implement what you want at your own discretion.

I'd sooner give Aerial Ace a mention over Crunch, and to be clear I don't think it deserves a mention. Both moves let Tyrantrum beat exactly one of its checks, Chesnaught and Bronzong respectively, and of those two Chesnaught is by far the more dangerous and common. Otherwise agree with everything you said; all great points about Tyrantrum.

I think Mental Herb could potentially get a mention in Rock Polish, while you do end up a lot weaker than you would be with LO and you miss out on the 1-time status recovery I think it's nice to fuck over Whimsicott. IronBullet93 dodmen thoughts?

Hm I think it's really only OO worthy, like in the vast majority of games other items will be much more useful. And anyways, Whimsicott would probably be hesitant to switch directly in since so many Tyrantrum are CB. However, I do think Stone Plate deserves a mention on the Rock Polish set since Head Smash is mainly the move you'll be using, letting you survive longer without the LO recoil. (Also sorry I've been hella inactive on here lately, just started a new job but I'm pretty much settled in so I should be able to start doing stuff on here again)

Kreme

You might be right but you're not correct.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hey ScraftyIsTheBest are you still planning on continuing this? It hasn't been updated in about a month. If not, then I'd like to take over if possible, but should you plan to continue then all good.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hey ScraftyIsTheBest are you still planning on continuing this? It hasn't been updated in about a month. If not, then I'd like to take over if possible, but should you plan to continue then all good.
I'm actually gonna implement the suggested changes in a few minutes, sorry I was preparing for and doing finals for the past few weeks so i didn't have time for this, but it'll be ready for a QC check in a few moments.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)