Status
Not open for further replies.

8-BIT Luster

Completely Unviable
WIP

Fafnoarse

Fafnir (A famous dragon in Norse Mythology) + Oar +Norse
Pronunciation: FAHF-norse

Fafnir was a dragon in Norse mythology that guarded a hoard of treasure. According to the story, the heart, when sut out and roasted, allowed whoever ate it to understand animals (kinda reminded me of CM for some reason, maybe being in tune [like a tuning fork it's all connected].) Plus, he's another cool norse dragon that isn't Jormungandr and he's far easier to pronounce.
Oar because he's got dem oars
Norse because he's a viking draggy

I'm glad this CAP won it was one of my favorites.

Last edited:

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
The names in the thread that stand out to me so far Naviathan and Shiprex. The former is an elegant portmanteau with a majestic ring to it, and the latter is a clever corruption that implies stateliness. On the other hand, I'm not too fond of names that rely too much on knowledge of Norse mythology to understand or use 'dragon' as a root word, since they're less intuitive.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Moderator Announcement:

This thread is now open for Final Submissions.

Please read the OP formatting rules very carefully. Any final submission that does not EXACTLY follow the prescribed format, will be disqualified without warning.

The Name slate will be constructed collectively by the CAP moderators. We will not slate names that are completely unrelated to the design, silly names (puns are fine), names based primarily on memes, or names meant to inflame, intimidate, or cause controversy.

Final Submission

Naviathan

A blend of the words "Navigation" (a purpose of longship use throughout history) and "Leviathan" (a Biblical, large aquatic creature/monster)

Pronounced: "Nuh-VAHY-Uh-Thun"

The first 'a' in the name is pronounced with an 'uh' sound because the name flows better in my mind that way, but feel free to interpret the pronunciation however you would like.

Last edited:
Final Submission

Oarbarus

This name derives from the English word "Oar" and the Latin word "Barbarus", meaning Barbarian.

Pronounced: Or-bor-us
ˈɒrbɒrʌs

I feel this name fits the design very well, utilizing the Viking theme with the Barbarian root, as well as the boat theme by using the word Oar. This name also sounds pre-historic, giving more emphasis on the dinosaur-esque aspects of the Pokemon. It is easy to pronounce at a glance, and still resonates well even if pronounced incorrectly (O-ar-bar-us).

Last edited by a moderator:

The Avalanches

pokemon tcg
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Final Submission

Admirhull

A combination of 'Admiral', a high-ranking naval official, and 'hull', the main body of a ship.

Pronounced: ad-mer-UHL

Disqualified: Final Submission (Did not follow the specified final submission format)

Sculdra

Combines 'scull' (general term for the type of rowing suggested by the design) and 'dragon.' Also hints at 'scald' in the pronunciation.

SKUL-druh

Honestly I wanted a name that brought the Norse element in but it quickly became clear that it would be too tough for me, and all my favourite suggestions have avoided that route so yeah. I doubt I'll make it as far as last time.

Final Submission

Fjordwyrm

A combination of "Fjord" (a narrow swat of sea insinuating between steep cliffs) and "Wyrm" (the classic European dragon).

Pronounced: FEE-HOARD-WHIRM

The Norse mythology references were getting more and more obscure, so I decided to avoid the direct route and try something else, while still keeping the Northern European theme (fjords are most common in Norway). I can definitely see CAP20 swim (sail?) menacingly through a fjord. Also, it rolls off the tongue pretty easily and it has a Nordic feel in the way it sounds.

Last edited:
Disqualified: Final Submission (Did not follow the specified final submission format)

Woarship

Combination of Warship + Oar.

Pronounced same as warship.

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Final Submission

Freychimo

Derived from the Norse god Freyr and the SS Baychimo, a ghost ship that came afloat from packed ice in the Alaskan sea in 1931.

Pronounced: "fray-CHEE-mo"
IPA: "freɪtʃiːmoʊ"

Last edited:
Final Submission

Skaldrake

Skalds were Scandinavian poets who recounted tales of heroes and mythological figures. Drake is another word for dragon. Neither are really that obscure so idk

Pronounced: "sKAWL-drayk"

Last edited:

Pleiarende

Pleiarende is a portmanteau of "Pleisiosaur", a large aquatic dinosaur, and "akterende", the Norwegian word for stern (the back-most part of a ship). Also plays on Pleiades, a constellation and group of nymphs in Greek mythology.

Pronounced: Play-AR-rend

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Final Submission

Couraegis

Courier + Aegis, also Courageous! (Design based on vehicle for courageous warriors, and has multiple shields. Includes slant references Norse God Aegir.)

Pronounced: "kuh-rey-jis"

Last edited:
Final Submission

Ferrocean

'Ferro' relates to iron and 'Ocean' refers to its environment. The combination also sounds like 'Ferocious' which relates to its dragon-like design.

Pronounced: Feh-ROW-shun

Dogfish44

You can call me Jiggly
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributor
Final Submission

Fjordra

A combination of "Fjord" + "Dragon".

Pronounced: "Fi-yaw-drah"

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Final Submission

Valhulla

"Valhalla" + "Hull"

Pronounced: "Val-HUL-lah"
IPA: vælhʌlə

I didn't plan on making a final submission, but hey, people like the name.

Final Submission

Oarmungandr

Portmanteau of oar and Jormungandr, a sea creature in Norse mythology

Pronounced: Or-mun-gand-er

boxofkangaroos

this is the day of the expanding man
Final Submission

Ranaweigh

Rán is a Norse sea goddess, aweigh describes an anchor's position. Also a play on "ran away."

Pronounced: RAN-uh-way
IPA: rænəweɪ

frenzyplant

Inertia is a property of matter.
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Final Submission

Ragnaroar

A combination of "Ragnarok", "roar", and "oar".

Pronounced: RAG-nuh-roar

Final Submission

Drekarv

Comes from "Dreki," or a corruption of "draco" to indicate a dragon, and "Karvi", a Viking longship, or a corruption of "carve".

Pronounced: DREY-karv

Final Submission

Tiamast

Derived from "Tiamat" (mesopotamian ocean goddess, though I always think of the D&D dragon instead) and "mast".

Pronounced: "TEA-a-mast"
IPA: tiːəmæst

Last edited:

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Final Submission

Plundoar

A combination of "Plunder" + "Oar".

Pronounced: "PLUN-door"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)