CAP 20 CAP 20 - Name Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disqualified: Final Submission (Did not follow the specified final submission format)

Longkhull

From "longship" and a combination of "hull" and "cull" (The k is to prevent the ch sound and it's l33t.)

Pronounciation: "LONG-khul"

Last edited by a moderator:
Final Submission

Stahlong

From Stahl, steel in German, Stalwart, meaning robust, brave and enduring, 龍船 (Lóngchuán) from dragon boats and Longships (Viking boats).

Pronounced: "Stah-LONG"

Disqualified: Final Submission (Did not follow the specified final submission format)

Galloy

From "galley" (a type of warship) and "alloy" (an amalgam of metals).

Pronounced GAL-loy

Final Submission

Vikinavis

A combination of "viking" and "navis", which is Latin for boat.

Pronounced: vy-KIN-ah-viss
IPA: vaɪ'kɪnævɪs

I took out "okunnigr" because it made it way too complicated, and no one would know what it meant unless they looked it up.

Final Submission

Raidoar

"Raid" + "Oar"

Pronounced: "RAY-door"

I went with something else for a submission. Vikings did raids. I felt it could work.

paintseagull

pink wingull
is a Top Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Final Submission

Steelhaul

Steel + Keelhaul, a brutal form of punishment that was once used aboard ships. The design has a prominent steel keel.

Pronounced: STEEL-hol

DetroitLolcat

Maize and Blue Badge Set 2014-2017
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Final Submission

Harboat

A combination of "Hár" (an alternate name for Odin, the chief god of Norse mythology. Also means "high") and "Boat".

Pronounced: "HAR-boat"

I removed the accent from Hár because I found it pretentious (and unnecessary, as the accent in this word is clearly on the first syllable anyway), and other than that it's short, sweet, and to the point. Furthermore, Har is another name for Shiva, the Hindu god of destruction, which makes sense because this Pokemon's going to be destroying some teams. It may also come from the word "Hard", which would make sense since it's a Steel type!

Maraudoar
"Marauder" + "Oar"

Pronunciation: Ma-RAW-door

From "Marauder", which is a synonym for pirate, and "Oar".

RODAN

Banned deucer.

Oarly

vikings get up early + oar

Pronounced: "Or-LEE"

Boatasaur

Boat+dinosaur

I combined the term "boat" (which comes from the Anglo-Norman "bat" plus the diminutive German "Ellus" meaning "water") with the suffix "saur" from Greek "sauros" meaning "lizard"
From the standpoint of the definition, a boat means a floating structure, of variable size, capable of navigating the rivers and streams or sea through human-powered, wind, or by a motorized propulsion.
I chose this name because the shape of the Pokemon resembles that of a boat and its appearance shares characteristics with modern reptiles.

Pronounced: BOW-TUH-SOR

Emvee

Banned deucer.

Vykasaur

Pronounced: "Vy-ca-saur"

"Vyk" sound from the word "Viking" who used these types of vessels for travel. They crossed the Atlantic to reach Iceland, Greenland, and Newfoundland. Viking merchants traveled through Russia to Constantinople, exchanging the amber, furs, and whale oil of the north for wine, silks, spices, and silver coins from the Middle East (the colors of CAP 20 actually share this resemblance). "Saur" because dinosaur.

Slapperfish

Banned deucer.
Final Submission

Dragalleon

A combination of "dragon" and "galleon" (a type of large ship).

Pronounced: "Dra-GAL-lee-un"

Last edited:

Atlantium

A simple combination of Atlantic the rather well known ocean, and titanium, a super strong metal. I tried to avoid the rampant nordic references in this name

Pronouced: "At-lan-tee-yum"

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Moderator Announcement:

This thread will close in roughly 24 hours. Please make your Final Submission, if you have not done so already.

Reminder: Please read the OP formatting rules very carefully. Any final submission that does not EXACTLY follow the prescribed format, will be disqualified without warning. The Name slate will be constructed collectively by the CAP moderators. We will not slate names that are completely unrelated to the design, silly names (puns are fine), names based primarily on memes, or names meant to inflame, intimidate, or cause controversy.

Final Submission

Chromyrm

Portmanteau of 'chromium' (a metal), 'row', and 'wyrm' (term referring to European dragons).

Pronounced: CROW-me-urm
IPA: ˈkɹoʊmiəm

Actually it's just pronounced chromium, but I figured I can't put it there.

Last edited:

toshimelonhead

Honey Badger don't care.
is a Tiering Contributor
Final submission

Granfrigate

Grand + frigate (a type of navy warship). Frigates are armored warships used to protect other warships and help merchant carriers get past treacherous waters.

Pronounced: GRAN-fri-gate

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Final Submission

Scandinavy

A combination of "Scandinavia" and "Navy".

Pronounced: "SKAN-dih-NAY-vee"
IPA: ˌskæn dɪˈneɪ vi

Last edited:

Oaracle

Fusion of oar + oracle

This cap is a calm minder, so it needed some "special-ness". So I chose oracle as the base and oar to appeal to its boat-ness

Pronounced: ( OR-uh-cole )

Final Submission

Naglferrum

From Naglfar, a ship in Norse mythology made of the dead's nails, plus ferrum, the Latin term for iron. I tried for boat and steel.

Pronounced: NAH-gul-feh-rum
IPA: nɑgʌlˈfɛrʌm

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Final Submission

Shiprex

A corrupted spelling of shipwrecks - "rex" implies dinosaurs by way of Tyrannosaurus Rex, but also just suggests regalness and power.

Pronounced: "SHIP-rex"
IPA: /ˈʃɪpˌrɛks/

Some credit goes to capefeather, who improved upon my initial name. If this happens to win, please credit both of us on the CAP site.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)