2014/15 Association Football (Soccer) thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Scratch whatever I've said before, Messi is the best player I've ever seen, Ronaldo could never do that against a team like Bayern in a game of such importance. It truly is a privilege to watch him play. Bayern held on pretty well for most of the game even though Barcelona, despite having less of the ball, came closer to breaking the deadlock. But there's no stopping Messi, once he turns on the style, it's over. Don't think Bayern can win 4-0 at home without conceding any from MSN, so they're pretty much out.
I'm as big a Ronaldo fan as you'll find despite being a Liverpool supporter and even I'll admit that it's fucking incredible to watch two of the best players of all time in such a rivalry. It seems almost impossible but they keep getting better and better and taking the game to such ludicrous highs, I genuinely thought I'd never see anyone better than Fat Ronaldo or Zidane but here we are

It'll be interesting to see if Manchester United can actually sign Gundogan and Hummels from Dortmund. I know those are two players they really want to improve their midfield depth and definitely beef up the defense. Heard they are also going for Clyne.

According to my friend who is a Manchester United fan who got this from some Chinese soccer website, this is the (rumored) lineup that Man U might be going for in the 2015-2016 season. So far Depay is correct, but honestly we'll have to see how Dortmund and Southampton finish in their respective leagues. I wouldn't be surprised if Clyne goes to United, but Gundogan and Hummels will be interesting.

On another topic of transfers, I think the Barcelona vs. Bayern Munich game only showcased how much Bayern Munich really miss Robben, Ribery, and Alaba right now because there wasn't a whole lot of play going on in the wings which would have made a huge difference in that game. I really hope Bayern sign world-class wingers to help provide squad depth on the wings because it is clear that Gotze is not a winger and Mitchell Weiser needs more time to grow. If Bayern sign someone like Antoine Griezmann, that would be amazing.

I don't get the three at the back thing. It just doesn't work imo. It is only good when you are the underdogs playing a superior side or playing against 4-4-2. And it's useful for tournament football where you're trying to not to lose rather than to win like you have to in the league. It just uses space less efficiently than 4 at the back. No matter what players you have I will predict that a team that plays with 3 at the back all season will not finish in the top 4. I think Van Gaal will stick with 4-3-3.

On a side note, I'd love to see Mick McCarthy back in the PL! So I'm rooting for Ipswich!

feck the back 3, defenders still not good enough.
rest of it is just droolworthy

and Liverpool need to start losing or they risk qualifying for the Europa League.

Last edited:
Well its good for a season, no worries just spend another 150m at the end when De Gea goes to Madrid and you need a defender better than barely average Chris Smalling.

Last edited:

Imanalt

I'm the coolest girl you'll ever meet
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
feck the back 3, defenders still not good enough.
rest of it is just droolworthy

and Liverpool need to start losing or they risk qualifying for the Europa League.
yeah its the back line's fault that the team got completely overrun, letting palace advance all the way up field every time they got the ball and only occasionally being able to spring a counter against a team throwing a lot forward for an entire half. Definitely not the terrible tactics/coaching combined with a midfield that desperately needs di maria in the middle.

EDIT: thougth this was about the game today LOL nvm w/e, although is till think the defense isn't bad at all, and the lack of di maria is still ridiculous

HBK

Subtlety is my middle name
Austin has been amazing this season, having scored so many goals despite being part of such a poor side. It's common for relegated teams to have their best players poached and I expect there to be a mid table scramble for his services. Maybe even Liverpool?

I, for one, am disappointed that Hull didn't beat Burnley. Coulda set up a really good relegation battle to end the season. Ah well, I doubt Hull will get any more points, but they're a boring team so it's not too upsetting to see them relegated (tho Newcastle deserve it more).

^ Terry shagged his teammate's wife. And racially abused Anton Ferdinand. It's different >_<

Liverpool is in for Ings and Milner. Who's leaving this summer then? They will have a seriously bloated squad if they don't get rid of some strikers and attacking mids. The fear has to be that Sterling will go.

HBK

^ Terry shagged his teammate's wife. And racially abused Anton Ferdinand. It's different >_<

Liverpool is in for Ings and Milner. Who's leaving this summer then? They will have a seriously bloated squad if they don't get rid of some strikers and attacking mids. The fear has to be that Sterling will go.
I was referring exclusively to the slip......

I mean, Terry would have gotten more fire if Chelsea didn't win the 2012 CL Final when he got the off-the-ball red card offense on Alexis Sanchez in the semifinal leg at Camp Nou or if they didn't advance to the final that year...but that's just bringing up the past.

Terry, like every other big name player, has made his mistakes over the course of his career, but he is a huge part of why Chelsea has had so much success in recent times especially that wall of a defense. The best defenses have the best leadership at the helm to coordinate the effort and it's pretty clear the impact that Terry has in that regard.

About the Gerrard slip, eh, I think it's starting to get a bit overused nowadays, but I guess you gotta milk the joke while it is still kind of funny?

I mean, football is a pretty fickle sport. People will always remember the mistakes more than the great moments, that's just how things are with people.

On another note, how about Queens Park Rangers and Burnley getting relegated? I think we all kind of expected that to happen, but dang QPR went out with that 6-0 from Manchester City. Who do you think will be the third team to join them and why?

I kinda wanna predict Newcastle United to lose the rest of their games out of sheer fate to be the 3rd team to get relegated, but I think it's more realistic to predict Hull City to go down.

I really do hope Newcastle go down, think it would serve them right for pushing Pardew out. Looks like it's going to be Hull though, although Spurs away and United at home isn't the toughest in theory seeing as Spurs seem to be trying to miss out on Europa League(or they're just bad), while Utd probably won't have much to play for so it could happen. Leicester v Sunderland looks like it's going to be a big game, but still fancy those two to stay up.

QPR have been dreadful all season, joke of a club. Burnley never really looked like staying up, but had some good moments - the win vs. City was priceless.

Chelsea fans are just nicknamed by many the Plastics HBK you cannot drop that label. Singing an amusing song about Gerrard is one thing, but taking the time to create posters about the incident to hold up in the stands about an event that bared no consequence to Chelsea table finish, 1 year after the incident, and after you have just won the leauge, that is pretty tragic. Chelsea fans will always have a dreadful reputation HBK no point trying to change that.

HBK

Chelsea fans are just nicknamed by many the Plastics HBK you cannot drop that label. Singing an amusing song about Gerrard is one thing, but taking the time to create posters about the incident to hold up in the stands about an event that bared no consequence to Chelsea table finish, 1 year after the incident, and after you have just won the leauge, that is pretty tragic. Chelsea fans will always have a dreadful reputation HBK no point trying to change that.
And yet we fall behind United, Real and Barcelona in plasticity. And you can't blame us since we were the prime beneficiaries of that event. It was fucking hysterical.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)