Your 10 Favorite Albums

Isa

I've never felt better in my life
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
This was an incredibly difficult progress. I'm constantly discovering new music - for about a year, I've listened to the albums on this list and it has certainly influenced and widened my taste in music. I'm not done with the list, I'm still only at #156, and in the end only two albums from my experiences with that list made the cut, but a LOT of albums are close.

Every artist is featured a maximum of one time.

10. The Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust And The Spiders From Mars – David Bowie

While we're all too young to have heard this album when it was new and sparked the cult around Bowie you can easily see why it had such an appeal. The best tracks on this record are the ones opening and ending the album if you ask me - Five Years & Rock'n'Roll Suicide - but there's no weak tracks. Certainly a masterpiece. One of the two albums I discovered through the above list.

9. Att Ha Fritidsbåt - Lolita Pop
Att Ha Fritidsbåt (To own a leisure boat) is a Swedish album from 1985 by rock-punk-indie group Lolita Pop. This album, and group, is probably unknown for people in my generation - no songs from this album exist in non-live versions on Youtube - but I'll never regret discovering this. The lyrics are escapist and fairly vague, while the powerful rock sound hooks you. The tracks Långa tåg (Long Trains) and Två x två (Two times two) are my favorites. Unfortunately, Lolita Pop decided to make albums in English after this, losing some of their appeal to me, and they never reached this height again (albeit their sales increased so there's that).

8. Mezzanine - Massive Attack

These dark and haunting sounds, combined with the powerful vocals from the guest artists (including lead singer from the band on #2 on this list) create a perfect opportunity to get chills along your spine. The album drops in intensity as time goes on and wouldn't be enough for me to get hooked, but the first four tracks are among some of the best I've heard. Loveyouloveyouloveyouloveyou...

7. Close to the Edge - Yes

Progressive rock has taken a big hit in popularity, but in the early 1970's, the public still bought full-length albums consisting of less than four tracks. This album consists of three songs: Close to the Edge, And You and I, and Siberian Khatru. If you look up the lyrics for the (ridiculously amazing) 18-minute title track, you'll find it divided into four parts with their own distinctive names. Part three of this song is my favorite - initially very dreamy and airborne, eventually developing into a charged organ solo.

6. Moby Grape - Moby Grape

1967 spawned a massive amount of great albums and this is the one that catches me the most. Psychedelic rock's finest moment, this album has an average track length of less than 2½ minutes and five tracks beneath 2 minutes. The short length of each track allows the band to burn through multiple genres though and every try at something new is flawless. The most well known track from the album, and the most energetic, is Omaha. Other great tracks include Changes, Indifference and Hey Grandma.

5. Dive - Tycho

Unlike the other albums listed so far, this album is entirely instrumental. I've never heard anything more relaxing than this. During SPL, I always started this album before playing to reduce stress levels. I honestly can't pick a favorite track from this album because apart from the first track, they all float apart to me and I have never listened to any track individually, because there's no need. The album is predictable - and that's fine, because the quality is so high.

4. The Stone Roses - The Stone Roses
Let's be real - The Stone Roses falling apart after their debut album is one of the biggest shames in music history. This album is mesmerizing. The opening track is also the best one (seems to be a reoccurring theme on this list) with a long intro, simple lyrics and yet the slightest change in lyrics towards the end amplifies the entire experience. The tracks that follow differ slightly in style but are still solid showings.

3. The Earth is Not a Cold Dead Place - Explosions in the Sky

Post-rock never rose above this and never will. The five pieces on this album form a concept album of sorts, despite being instrumental the sense of a shared theme of love shines through. The titles do their part to help set the feeling as well. The tracks are formulaic in the sense that they all slowly escalate towards a predictable climax, but even when you know that it's coming, it's a great show. The Only Moment We Were Alone is the best of them, but the album opener and finisher are also explosive (h3h3h3).

2. Treasure - Cocteau Twins
I had to choose between this album and Heaven or Las Vegas when choosing album for this group. Cocteau Twins is the band I listen to the most right now and I've done so for the past year or so. The lyrics are hardly able to be called lyrics, instead the singer Elizabeth Fraser (who also appears on Mezzanine) carries vocals that are to be interpreted as yet another instrument. It works out perfectly. Dream pop at its dreamiest while searching the surroundings for other genres to absorb (Persephone is a try at something resembling hard rock while retaining the dream pop feel), it's a treat for the ear.

1. Jag rear ut min själ! Allt ska bort!! - bob hund

My favorite album by my favorite group containing my favorite songs. Jag rear ut min själ! Allt ska bort!! (I'm selling off my soul! Everything must go!!) was the national breakthrough for the Swedish indie-rock-???-band, already being known in the underground scenes. I first saw the album when I was seven years old and had a fever. Upon reading the title and seeing the man on the album cover, I became filled with sadness - this man was so poor that he had to sell his soul to people to survive, and he had to do it for a discount price as well! Have mercy on him! I went home and had nightmares for a week about it. Ten years later I discover bob hund's music for the first time and went full circle. The best tracks on this album would be everyone but Helgen v. 48, which is honestly a bit mediocre (yet chosen as the only single from the album...). The title track deserves a mention though and everyone who knows Swedish should listen to it.

other great albums:

Kind of Blue - Miles Davis
The Velvet Underground and Nico - The Velvet Underground
LP3 - Ratatat
Drink the Sea - The Glitch Mob
XXYYXX - XXYYXX
All is Violent, All is Bright - God is an Astronaut
Die Mensch-Maschine - Kraftwerk
Dark Side of the Moon - Pink Floyd
III - Kite
Legend - Bob Marley
Rumours - Fleetwood Mac

•4x4=12 - Deadmau5
•Random Access Memories - Daft Punk
•Minutes to Midnight - Linkin Park
•American Idiot - Green Day
•Songs About Jane - Maroon 5
•Demon Days - Gorillaz
•Plastic Beach - Gorillaz
•Bass Generation - Basshunter
•Indestructible - Disturbed
•<Insert Album Title Here> - Deadmau5

I have odd tastes.

Audiosurfer

I'd rather be sleeping
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
made it one album per artist which made it a little easier but this was still hard :( whole list is in no particular order and this is simply how I feel right now at like 3:30 in the morning.

List (10):
Strange Mercy - St. Vincent
The Idler Wheel... - Fiona Apple
Ys - Joanna Newsom
Spirit They're Gone, Spirit They've Vanished - Animal Collective
Homogenic - Bjork
Carrie & Lowell - Sufjan Stevens
Paul's Boutique - Beastie Boys
Rid of Me - PJ Harvey
Cerulean Salt - Waxahatchee
Bitte Orca - Dirty Projectors

Honorable Mentions (so fucking many but only doing 5):
Midnight Marauders - A Tribe Called Quest
Contra - Vampire Weekend
My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy - Kanye West
Loud City Song - Julia Holter
LP1 - FKA Twigs

Last edited:

tcr

sage of six tabs
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I also made mine one album per artist, although going through tons and tons of albums brought up the nostalgia of my childhood.

List:
  • Sempiternal - Bring me the Horizon
  • In Fear and Faith - In Fear and Faith
  • 1989 - Taylor Swift
  • Warrior - Kesha
  • One-X - Three Days Grace
  • Phobia - Breaking Benjamin
  • The Fallout - Crown the Empire
  • Ashes to Ashes - Chelsea Grin
  • D.R.U.G.S. - Destroy Rebuild Until God Shows
  • Horizons - Parkway Drive
E: Honorable Mention: You Can't Spell Slaughter Without Laughter - I Set My Friends On Fire

Not really a "good" album since the band is basically a joke band but the hardcore version of "Crank Dat" is just banging and hilarious

I also made mine one album per artist, although going through tons and tons of albums brought up the nostalgia of my childhood.

List:
  • Sempiternal - Bring me the Horizon
  • In Fear and Faith - In Fear and Faith
  • 1989 - Taylor Swift
  • Warrior - Kesha
  • One-X - Three Days Grace
  • Phobia - Breaking Benjamin
  • The Fallout - Crown the Empire
  • Ashes to Ashes - Chelsea Grin
  • D.R.U.G.S. - Destroy Rebuild Until God Shows
  • Horizons - Parkway Drive
E: Honorable Mention: You Can't Spell Slaughter Without Laughter - I Set My Friends On Fire

Not really a "good" album since the band is basically a joke band but the hardcore version of "Crank Dat" is just banging and hilarious

It's been more than a year since I posted, let's see what's changed for me.

1. Converge - Jane Doe
2. Streetlight Manifesto - Everything Goes Numb

I'm looking forward to finding another album that will blow me away as much as these two, the search is still on...

3. Lenka Dusilová - Baromantika

When an artist just hides in plain sight for most of your life and then you finally give them a chance and realize what you've been missing. I'm glad I finally gave Lenka a chance, because she can't possibly be as good as everyone says, right? Yes she totally is.

4. Protest the Hero - Kezia
5. Megadeth - Rust in Peace / Countdown to Extinction / Youthanasia

Nothing new here...

6. Laura Stevenson - Wheel

I listened to this album all summer long last year. It's burned into my brain and I don't mind at all.

7. Cattle Decapitation - Monolith of Inhumanity

Incredible songwriting, excellent production, vocals varied like I've never seen in metal, perfect execution. If I could craft a perfect death metal record, it would just be this (idc that it's deathgrind I love it).

8. No Doubt - Tragic Kingdom

Prime Gwen is the best frontwoman ever AINEC. I'd kill to go back in time to 1995 so I could see this band live. Shame they never came nowhere near this level before or after and instead started destroying everything they built up by catering to a completely different audience. Ska is dead anyway so it doesn't matter I guess.

9. Plaga - Magia Gwiezdnej Entropii

Similar to MoI, the perfect black metal album as envisioned by me.

10. Taylor Swift - 1989

Screw it, ever since it came out I haven't listened to anything nearly as much as this so it has to be on this list.

Asek

Banned deucer.
In no particular order aside from American Football at #1

Highlights of each (if youd like to check them out)

American Football - Never meant, Honestly, Stay Home
The Low End Theory - Excursions, Verses From The Abstract, The City
Remain In Light - Born Under Punches, The Great Curve, Once In A Lifetime
Transatlanticism - The New Year, Expo 86, Transatlanticism
Exmilitary - Takyon, Culture Shock, Blood Creepin
Innerspeaker - Desire Be Desire Go, Lucidity, Solitude is Bliss
Black On Both Sides - Hip Hop, Got, Mathematics
Perfect From Now On - Randy Described Eternity, I Would Hurt A Fly, Velvet Waltz
Black Sands - Prelude + Kiara, We Could Forever, 1009
Loveless - To Here Knows When, Sometimes, Soon

Only started really listening to music within the last 18 months, and even then find most of my music through jjj, am currently working through a backlog of albums and enjoying the majority of them, like a wide variety of genres (guess thats why my list is all over the joint)

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
In no particular order -

Hail to the Thief - Radiohead
Amok - Atoms for Peace
Until the Quiet Comes - Flying Lotus
Geogaddi - Boards of Canada
Tri Repetae - Autechre
Selling England By The Pound - Genesis
The Six Wives of Henry VIII - Rick Wakeman
Empire - Kasabian
Metaphorical Music - Nujabes
In Rainbows - Radiohead

Far - Regina Spektor
Bedside Manners Are Extra - Greenslade
The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars - David Bowie
Foxtrot - Genesis
Woodface - Crowded House
Innerspeaker - Tame Impala
A Rush of Blood to the Head - Coldplay
Music Has The Right To Children - Boards of Canada
obligatory OK Computer - Radiohead

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
I propose this thread be renamed the Deschain mocks your music taste thread

One per artist and no particular order (except for Master of Puppets at #1):

Metallica - Master of Puppets; I got my first guitar when I was 12. This album is the reason I still play guitar.
Black Sabbath - Paranoid; you mean I have to justify this one?
Avenged Sevenfold - Waking the Fallen; A7X is one of my favorite bands (fight me Recreant) and most of my favorite songs from them come off of this album
Tool - Lateralus; Schism is on this album. Come on.
Within Temptation - Hydra; intersting collaborations on this album; I mean, shit, I didn't expect them to collab with Dave Pirner, and I definitely didn't expect them to collab with Xzibit. That was awesome.
Guns 'N Roses - Appetite for Destruction; the only GNR album I like, but I can't deny how awesome everything about this album is.
Pantera - Vulgar Display of Power; it was either Cowboys from Hell or this album, but the inner thrash metal fanboy in me makes me lean towards this one.
Apocalyptica - 7th Symphony; Cellos.
Lamb of God - Resolution; I still have the guitar riff to Desolation stuck in my head.
Bullet for My Valentine - The Poison; I know the metalhead reaction; "eugh, metalcore." Here are my tracks of justification for why this album is here: "All These Things I Hate (Revolve Around Me)," "Hand of Blood," "Tears Don't Fall," "4 Words (To Choke Upon)" Also, Apocalyptica is featured on the intro track. Fucking cellos.

1. Feathergun -- Rishloo (Alternative / Progrssive Rock)
2. Grace -- Jeff Buckley ( Alternative Rock )
3. Operation: Mindcrime -- Queensrÿche ( Progressive Metal )
4. Superunknown -- Soundgarden ( Alternative Rock / Metal )
5. Rising -- Rainbow ( Heavy Metal )
6. Temple of the Dog -- Temple of the Dog ( Alternative Rock )
7. House of Stone -- Sorne ( "Tribal" Art Pop )
8. Silent Machine -- Twelve Foot Ninja ( Heavy Fusion )
9. Violator -- Depeche Mode ( Synthpop )
10. California -- Mr. Bungle ( Experimental )

Hyperlinks are to youtube vids of my "favourite" track off each.

this looks like a good place for a first post.

these are roughly in order

10. Cryonics - Hot Cross
9. Didn't It Rain - Songs: Ohia
8. OK Computer - Radiohead
7. Oh! Calcutta! - Lawrence Arms
6. Those Once Loyal - Bolt Thrower
5. The Lonesome Crowded West - Modest Mouse
4. The Fall of Math - 65daysofstatic
3. The Voice of Steel - Nokturnal Mortum
2. F#A# - Godspeed You! Black Emperor
1. The Devil and God - Brand New

deschain what records are these bro. i recognize the opeth and the floyd only.

every now and then i get further into metal and i'd be interested in knowing ur favs

15/5/15

10. Enya - Shepherd Moons
9. Atheist - Unquestionable Presence
8. Mercyful Fate - Don't Break the Oath
7. Darkthrone - Transilvanian Hunger
6. Dead Can Dance - Within the Realm of a Dying Sun
5. Burzum - Filosofem
4. Wu-Tang Clan - Enter the Wu-Tang
3. Big L - Lifestylez ov da Poor & Dangerous
2. Slayer - Reign in Blood
1. Sacramentum - Far Away from the Sun

honorable mentions:
The Beatles - Beatles for Sale
Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral
Onyx - Bacdafucup
Vio-Lence - Eternal Nightmare
Weakling - Dead as Dreams

Last edited:

Mizuhime

Did I mistake you for a sign from God?
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
10. Childish Gambino - Because the Internet
9. Lorde - Pure Heroine
8. Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
7. Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin IV
6. The Weeknd - Trilogy
5. Run the Jewels - Run the Jewels 2
4. Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp A Butterfly
3. Earl Sweatshirt - I Don't Like Shit, I Don't Go Outside
2. The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
1. Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here <- sorry BKC

honorable mentions:
Outkast - Aquemini
Metallica - Metallica
Brand New - Deja Entendu
Nas - Illmatic
Gorillaz - Demon Days
A Tribe Called Quest - Midnight Marauders

I know this is all over the map and some of it may not make sense to others :]

Last edited:
Gonna list everything I like enough, before editing it into a list.

Bon Jovi: Get Wet
Led Zeppelin: Led Zeppelin IV
The Beatles: Anything
U2: Songs of Innocence
Linkin Park: Hybrid Theory, Meteora
Coldplay: Parachutes, A Rush of Blood to the Head, Mylo Xyloto
OneRepublic: Waking Up, Native
Imagine Dragons: Night Visions, Smoke and Mirrors
Darkthrone: All of the Unholy Trinity, plus the Underground Resistance
Dissection: Storm of the Lights Bane, Reinkaos
Sacramentum: Far Away from the Sun
Burzum: Filosofem
Gorguts: Obscura
Zedd: Clarity
Daft Punk: Discovery

I also like a lot of classical music and EDM singles, sadly can't list them here cause they're not albums :(

Only Native and Far Away from the Sun are set in stone on the top 10, everything else is really great though.

Like if you think my Music taste is twisted.

Edit: Here's the List:
1. Native
2. Far Away from the Sun
3. A Rush of Blood to the Head
4. Transilvanian Hunger
5. Filosofem
6. Smoke and Mirrors
7. Led Zeppelin IV
8. Clarity
9. Hybrid Theory
10. Storm of the Light's Bane

Last edited:

xzern

for sure
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

10. bring me the horizon - sempiternal

9. crown the empire - the fallout

8. my chemical romance - the black parade

7. a day to remember - what separates me from you

6. rise against - the sufferer & the witness

5. destroy rebuild until god shows - D.R.U.G.S.

4. dance gavin dance - acceptance speech

3. blink 182 - self titled album

2. dance gavin dance - self titled album

1. attack attack! - someday came suddenly

edit: honorable mentions:

i set my friends on fire - you cant spell slaughter without laughter

attack attack - self titled album

beartooth - disgusting

dance gavin dance - pussy vultures (not an album but i still like it)

Last edited:
1. This Heat - Deceit
2. Hoover - The Lurid Traversal of Route 7
3. Gospel - The Moon Is A Dead World
4. Crass - Penis Envy
5. Dead Can Dance - Dead Can Dance
6. Burzum - Filosofem
7. Chrome - Third from the Sun
8. No Trend - Too Many Humans
9. Nation of Ulysses - Plays Pretty for Baby
10. Moonshake - Eva Luna

They're pretty much ordered. How the fuck did PiL not make it on to this list
cool list, especially no trend and moonshake

i don't see this changing any time soon.
that angelic process album is incredible, good list

@ mizuhime interesting ur #3 and #4 picks are from this year, i haven't listened to much from 2015 that has really interested me

deschain what records are these bro. i recognize the opeth and the floyd only.

every now and then i get further into metal and i'd be interested in knowing ur favs
there's actually not a whole lot of metal in there.

right to left:
Virgin Black: Elegant...and Dying
Ulver: Teachings in Silence
The Angelic Process: Weighing Souls With Sand
The Cure: Pornography
mewithoutYou: Brother, Sister
Bright Eyes: Fevers & Mirrors
Sigur Ros: Takk
Opeth: Still Life
Cursive: The Ugly Organ
Pink Floyd: The Wall

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)