SPOILERS! Mysteries and Conspiracies of Pokemon

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Thought of something else in the series never explained, and it worries me. What happens to the starter not chosen? Is it only chosen if a third beginner is there, like Shauna? Or does it get discarded. It might even have to wait a year or two for the chance to be chosen by new trainers.
It's not pretty...

Okay, being serious, I guess they Professor just keeps it around to help with his research. OR, maybe it goes back to where they breed Starters to father/mother the next batch of Starters.

It's not pretty...

Okay, being serious, I guess they Professor just keeps it around to help with his research. OR, maybe it goes back to where they breed Starters to father/mother the next batch of Starters.
There was also another video that explored that question, but I don't have time to find it now. But suffice it to say, it was not pretty. Euthenization almost seemed like a kindness in comparison.

I always wonder about how all the other trainers in-game start out. We almost never see another starter in battle besides for our rivals... the only one I remember is the Grass gym leader in DPP who uses a Turtwig. Do they just befriend a wild one? Or I guess like in Wally's case, someone else helps them to catch one and that acts almost as a starter. Still, it does seem odd that there aren't massive mobs at the Proffeser's lab trying to get a starter. There should be what... at least a few hundred or thousand 10 year olds in each region? Do they get starters?

I always wonder about how all the other trainers in-game start out. We almost never see another starter in battle besides for our rivals... the only one I remember is the Grass gym leader in DPP who uses a Turtwig. Do they just befriend a wild one? Or I guess like in Wally's case, someone else helps them to catch one and that acts almost as a starter. Still, it does seem odd that there aren't massive mobs at the Proffeser's lab trying to get a starter. There should be what... at least a few hundred or thousand 10 year olds in each region? Do they get starters?
It's likely they have relatives who help them. Unlike the anime, it doesn't seem like the regional professors just give out Pokémon to anyone.
Here's the case:
Kanto - gives out two Pokémon to his grandson and his grandson's best frienemy so they can be research assistants on the Pokédex.
Johto - gives out a Pokémon so that his neighbor can do an errand for him.
Hoenn - new kid gets a Pokémon by helping out regional professor when he is attacked.
Sinnoh (Diamond and Pearl) - the player character and his best friend sorta steal them and are attacked...man that was a weird way to get the starter.
Sinnoh (Platinum) - gives out two Pokémon to two local kids who were about to step into the wild grass like idiots.
Unova (Black and White) - gives three Pokémon as gifts to three local kids.
Unova (Black 2 and White 2) - uh...I can't remember what was said when Bianca gave us our starter...
Kalos - gives out Pokémon to random kids.

Some times it kinda works with the idea we get from the anime, but others are different.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
In the games it always seem implied you and your rivals were chosen by the region Professor after seeing potential in you. So I don't think any trainer can go to the Professor and get a Starter; they need to prove themselves to the Professor that they're up to the task (also being you and your rival get a Pokedex it seems not only do you need to prove yourself to the Professor but he/she also needs you to help with their research by doing field work).

As for other trainers, my guess they either befriend a wild Pokemon, catch a weak wild Pokemon with a lucky Pokeball throw, or get one as a gift. As we saw with Wally, it seems like your local Gym Leader will help you catch a Pokemon (or maybe even let you be their apprentice/student, Gym trainers got to come from somewhere).

Also I assume the reason the world isn't filled with kids running around is because Pokemon training is hard. We're experiencing Pokemon training from both a meta level and also from the point of view of a trainer who was deemed to have a lot of potential. However the NPCs you see as just money and experience, they're the trainers who somehow managed to break away from the pack and proved they can be Pokemon trainers. Maybe not Champion worthy trainers, but they're still able to train Pokemon pretty well. As for everyone else? Well they'll just go on and get another job. The Pokemon World still needs police, doctors, scientists, constructions workers, merchants, programmers, manufacturers, lawyers, accountants, farmers, and ALL the other jobs that exist. The job of a Pokemon Trainer isn't just becoming Champion but rather to understand Pokemon and keep the peace between them and humans. When there's a wild Pokemon acting up you call in trainers to take care of it. Of course the job has also evolved so that Trainers are also entertainers. They have their Pokemon battle and perform to impress crowds. It sounds like if Pokemon was real that being a trainer would be a tough job.

Unova (Black 2 and White 2) - uh...I can't remember what was said when Bianca gave us our starter...
I think you mother set it up to get you a Starter. She's a friend of BW's mother, being the first Pokemon Nurse who she met. And since BW's mother knows Juniper, she was able to help set things up for you.

The Smog: Mysterious Ghosts?
The newest issue of The Smog is out and it has an article I think is worth talking about. The article is about the real ghosts which appear throughout the games (main series at least). While reading through the article I thought maybe it was worth discussion:

Gen I: Talks about Cubone's Mother/Marowak's Ghost. Not really anything to discuss further. I do have to say that they may be getting their canons mixed up, though. The ending paragraph says:

The ghost of the mother then settled in the Pokemon Tower, only coming to rest once she saw her child again after years of terrorizing the tower.
Except it didn't, we defeated it which helped ease its restless soul. In Pokemon Origins that's what happened, but in the games you just defeated it. Also I question how long Marowak has been dead, I always took it that the death was a recent event. The reason people say the Pokemon Tower is haunted is because the Ghost-type Pokemon disguise themselves as real ghosts (and the Cubone too. Maybe after Team Rocket's invasion the Ghost-types are helping the Cubone by hiding them as ghosts too?), not only because of Marowak's mother.

Gen IV: Talks about the ghosts in the Old Chateau. It reminded me that Charon lived in that house once, so the question is what is his relation to the ghosts if any. The article suggests that the old man ghost is Charon's father/butler and the little girl ghost is Charon's daughter. I'm not too sure if I agree with that, for one thing I think its Charon's childhood home so if the ghosts are related to him the old man would be his grandfather/butler while the little girl would maybe be his sister or cousin.
It also suggests that Rotom electrocuted the two to death but I'm also not so sure about that. I suppose it possible but Charon got electrocuted but didn't get killed. It's on par with the poisoning theory due to their being an Antidote found in the garbage.
Personally I think there's not enough info, we don't know their exact relation to Charon and there's no exact hints to their deaths. And who know if they weren't around when Charon was a kid, I mean there was a Rotom around so it seems at least Ghost-types liked the place.

Gen V: The ghost we actually know most about. First randomly appearing on Marvelous Bridge in BW, only info we got on her is that she used to play in the area with her Abra. In BW2 we got more on her is that she lived at the Strange House (at least at near the end of her life) and found out she was put into an eternal sleep by Darkrai, dying before they could get her the Lunar Wing.
While we know the most about her, there's still stuff we don't know. Like for one thing the article says she may have lived in Black City/White Forest though I think she could have lived in Nimbasa City as its just as close to Marvelous Bridge (heck, she maybe lived in a house on Route 15 or 16). Also it suggests she went to the Strange House after dying though I think she lived there at some point near the end. Though the question is the order of events of what happened. Why did she move from wherever was close to the Marvelous Bridge is to the Strange House (or did she always live there and used Abra to teleport to the bridge and back)? When did she get put into the eternal sleep by Darkrai? Why did the Darkrai put her in the eternal sleep (remember Darkrai did appear to her in her dreams as her father to tell her everything is alright)? Why and how did she die before getting the Lunar Wing, did Darkrai intentionally kill her before she could be woken up?

Gen VI: We talked plenty about the Hex Maniac Ghost in XY who's looking for someone (article suggests the old man in the Spooky House. It's also pointed out the message in Lumiose Station which said "I'm going to go for help. Wait in the usual place." having something to do with her). It also talked about the Ghost Girl in Phoebe's room in ORAS, also mentioning that in the manga it said she had a deceased sister (though once again that is a separate canon so that might not be true in the games. Also the article goes off about how her sisters souls was taken by a Litwik and the Chandelure on her rematch team is that same Litwik. What? Was that in the manga or did the article writer just make a huge assumption). I think we talked in length about the Gen VI ghosts so I don't think we need to talk about them anymore unless the info in the article reminded you of something.

I have my own theories and stories, though I think I talked enough and would like to hear what everyone else has to say.

Last edited:
I don't think that the ghosts at the old chateau were killed by rotom or anything, I'm pretty sure that's just total speculation. However I do think that it's likely that the ghost in Phoebe's room is her deceased sister, but that whole litwick stuff is just wrong. (Unless I missed some huge back story)

I don't think that the ghosts at the old chateau were killed by rotom or anything, I'm pretty sure that's just total speculation. However I do think that it's likely that the ghost in Phoebe's room is her deceased sister, but that whole litwick stuff is just wrong. (Unless I missed some huge back story)
It's just baseless speculah to entertain the readers, nothing more nothing less.

That's one thing I always wondered about. A lot of the in game canon hints at the idea that Darkrai secludes itself on New Moon Island to try and minimize its effect on people, given its close proximity to Cresselia and the dialogue that follows the capture. I believe it's also been discussed that Darkrai's nightmares aren't malicious but just a natural defense mechanism.

My theory is that the Ghost girl fell into the sleep by unfortunate circumstance. Pokemon evidently suffer some kind of physical strain from the Nightmares based on how Bad Dreams behaves. It could just be that that strain is much more severe in humans who don't do this kind exertion, so unlike Pokemon, who would probably be left exhausted so they can't follow Darkrai, the effects probably kill people before they wake up, whether by hurting too much or them not having the strength to wake up.

Maybe Darkrai's appearance in the nightmares was trying to comfort the girl, make her hold on until her father found the Lunar Wing. The characterization would support the idea that Darkrai doesn't actually try to kill anybody with his nightmares.

The questions this does raise mainly come from the Gen 4 event. Here's my theory. Eldritch's son mumbles about Darkrai watching him in the nightmare, and you have to encounter Cresselia to cure him before the Member Pass lets you into the Old Inn to my knowledge. My guess is that Darkrai saw you cured the kid, and wanted to see if you could overcome it, maybe help it bring its power under control. As for being watched, maybe Darkrai was monitoring the kid like the kid to see if he pulled through.

Do they specify how long it had been since the Strange House girl died?

My head canon for the events is
- Girl falls into nightmare sleep, Darkrai tries to calm her until her father brings back the Lunar Wing
- After she dies, Darkrai secludes itself on Newmoon Island, near Cresselia to try and keep it's nightmares from hurting people again
- Eldritch sails past the island on a voyage, perhaps his son sleeping in the cabin, and he begins suffering the nightmares.
- Darkrai sees DPP player cured the boy, thinks maybe a trainer could keep him under control better than isolation.

That's one thing I always wondered about. A lot of the in game canon hints at the idea that Darkrai secludes itself on New Moon Island to try and minimize its effect on people, given its close proximity to Cresselia and the dialogue that follows the capture. I believe it's also been discussed that Darkrai's nightmares aren't malicious but just a natural defense mechanism.

My theory is that the Ghost girl fell into the sleep by unfortunate circumstance. Pokemon evidently suffer some kind of physical strain from the Nightmares based on how Bad Dreams behaves. It could just be that that strain is much more severe in humans who don't do this kind exertion, so unlike Pokemon, who would probably be left exhausted so they can't follow Darkrai, the effects probably kill people before they wake up, whether by hurting too much or them not having the strength to wake up.

Maybe Darkrai's appearance in the nightmares was trying to comfort the girl, make her hold on until her father found the Lunar Wing. The characterization would support the idea that Darkrai doesn't actually try to kill anybody with his nightmares.

The questions this does raise mainly come from the Gen 4 event. Here's my theory. Eldritch's son mumbles about Darkrai watching him in the nightmare, and you have to encounter Cresselia to cure him before the Member Pass lets you into the Old Inn to my knowledge. My guess is that Darkrai saw you cured the kid, and wanted to see if you could overcome it, maybe help it bring its power under control. As for being watched, maybe Darkrai was monitoring the kid like the kid to see if he pulled through.

Do they specify how long it had been since the Strange House girl died?

My head canon for the events is
- Girl falls into nightmare sleep, Darkrai tries to calm her until her father brings back the Lunar Wing
- After she dies, Darkrai secludes itself on Newmoon Island, near Cresselia to try and keep it's nightmares from hurting people again
- Eldritch sails past the island on a voyage, perhaps his son sleeping in the cabin, and he begins suffering the nightmares.
- Darkrai sees DPP player cured the boy, thinks maybe a trainer could keep him under control better than isolation.
Hmm...that's probably true (especially your head canon timeline), but it makes me sad for Darkrai not being a malevolent entity. I think that is more of my personal preferences and love of ghost stories seeping in then anything actually in the games.

Hmm...that's probably true (especially your head canon timeline), but it makes me sad for Darkrai not being a malevolent entity. I think that is more of my personal preferences and love of ghost stories seeping in then anything actually in the games.
If you want a malicious Darkrai, some of the spin-offs touch on that at least, or the implication to the support rather than the contrary.

And it's not like Pokemon is alien to the idea of menacing looking Pokemon being pranksters: look at how the Gen 1 Ghosts were depicted.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
As far as I remember, it's canon that Pokémon can't kill humans, so the speculations of the Ghost article can mostly be dismissed. They probably died in other ways, and became ghosts for some reason.

And yet people can kill Pokemon... weird. Maybe it's because over years of being caught and train, their behavior usually prevents them from attacking a human.
Except for this.
Oh wait, they have killed someone though... Mewtwo and Mew accidentally kill Ash in the first movie.

MAROWAK THEORYYYY!
It's possible that the Marowak (that one who was kills by Team Rocket) is descended from ones that were captured by trainers, but were released. It knew that it had to defend it's child, any animal would. But because of that fatal flaw, all it could do was be a meat shield blocking the Grunt from chasing after Cubone.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
^Turned to stone, with possibility for revival. I defiantly* think that's different from death. As the seventh movie shows, a sufficiently powerful Pokémon attack can knock a foe out for years, but eventually they'll turn out okay. If Pikachu and co. had had the patience to wait for a century or two, Ash might have thawed out by himself, wondering what the heck just happened.

*I didn't spell that word wrong

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Deadly Pokemon:
Um, I think a Pokemon perfectly has the power to kill a human, with ease. However, like how it immoral or a human to kill a human, its immortal for a Pokemon to kill a human. It's not that they don't have the power, they perfectly do, but it doesn't help the Pokemon species. Obviously there is some connection between people and Pokemon which helps strengthen the Pokemon species; why would a normal Pokemon kill a possible source of power? And on the moral standard a Pokemon doesn't keep attacking once the opponent faints, when the battle is over its over. The winner proved they were the superior and there's no point to waste anymore energy.

That said, just like there are wicked people, there are also probably wicked Pokemon. Maybe it hates humans or it doesn't want to be enslaved (in its eyes) so it attacks with deadly force to show its not joking around. And who's to say a trainer may not use a Pokemon to use deadly force, like a member of a villain syndicate or a gang?

Also just because the games don't report it happens doesn't mean it didn't. I imagine a Pokemon killing a person is rare and honestly not info you need to know. Ignoring the aspect its a kids game, how will knowing somewhere in the world a Pokemon killed someone effect the story? Probably not at all, it would be interesting world building but only in the sense of confirming the obvious that, yes, Pokemon can be dangerous creatures.

Oh, and there is a minor Pokemon, you may of heard of it, called YVELTAL, THE POKEMON OF DEATH. The Pokemon who people went to war with because it was going around and destroying kingdoms. The Pokemon who's own death will result in the death of everything in the surrounding area so that it can form into a cocoon and eventually resurrect itself. Yeah, I think that may count as a Pokemon who might have killed someone.

But aside the Pokemon incarnation of death, as I said we don't really know Darkrai's intention when he killed the BW ghost girl. We know he appeared to her in the form of her dad and trying to convince her to stay with it, but it is because it wanted to make or suffer... or maybe it was lonely (more on that theory later)? As for Ash being turned to stone, he was dead. Mewtwo's and Mew's attack pretty much drained the life out of him so much he turned to stone. He's as dead as a rock, literally. However it was an accident so at the very least they didn't intentionally kill him, though it still showed Pokemon perfectly have the power to kill someone. Also you can't really use Deoxys getting up years after getting hit by Rayquaza's Hyper Beam as proof Pokemon don't kill. Rayquaza was gunning to kill Rayquaza, it's Hyper Beam was VAPORIZING parts of Deoxys (and its final attack vaporizes all but its crystal core). Also Deoxys is an alien Pokemon with incredible rejuvenatory powers (it grew back missing body parts as soon as they were vaporized, it was able to resurrect itself after all but its crystal core was vaporized, and it was even able to make clones of itself and of course shapeshift). I don't think you can use Deoxys as an example of anyone surviving a Pokemon's full attack.

Ghost Theory:
Now I don't really have a theory for the Gen IV or VI (including the III remake) ghosts, but I sort of have a theory for the Gen V ghost girl. One of the things I found interesting about the story is that Darkrai appeared to the girl and tried to convince her to stay. Knowing that Darkrai are depicted as vindictive Pokemon, to me that came off as Darkrai trying to convince the girl to stay in the world of dreams because Darkrai is lonely.
Being a Darkrai must suck. You have no control over your nightmare powers so to not cause anyone suffering you need to seclude yourself. You can't have any friends and even if you try to live somewhere remotely populated everyone will have nightmares and hunt you down. You're not wanted (except maybe by trainers as it seems like Pokeballs and the PC are able to contain the power of Bad Dreams, but then you'll pretty much live a life of battling and some Darkrai may not want that). I imagine it must be a very lonely life, so what if one Darkrai may have accidentally killed the BW ghost girl in a desperate attempt to just have a friend? Honestly I wrote an entire story being the concept, but that's even more speculating than I've already presented (though my story does include a bit of maliciousness on Darkrai's part that Vader_the_White is looking for).

The ghost girl was a normal girl who many years ago lived by the area that the Marvelous Bridge was being made. She played around the area with her Abra, but would notice her Abra having nightmares whenever it fell asleep. Curious why the girl looked around and made a discovery: in the area where the bridge was being made there was a Darkrai living in seclusion. The girl made friends with the Darkrai who had spent many years alone, undisturbed until the bridge started being built. The girl was the first friend Darkrai ever had and since she didn't live nearby and could easily use Abra to Teleport her to Darkrai it could maybe finally have a friend. Things were good and happy... until the girl's parents found out. Afraid of the Nightmare Pokemon, the girls parents moved away to what would eventually become the Strange House.
However Darkrai followed them and, angry for the parents taking away the only friend it ever had, decide it would take her back! Darkrai put the girl into an eternal slumber so that it and her could be together forever. However things didn't go the way Darkrai wanted, in the nightmare dream world the girl was scared and wanted to see her family and Pokemon. Darkrai tried to comfort her by taking the form of her father to convince her that its alright and to stay with it, but the girl kept on saying she wanted to leave.

Now from here I have to way the story ends:

1. Unknown to anyone, Darkrai's Bad Dreams was slowly eating away at the girls health. The father had gone to get a Lunar Wing so the girl's family was waiting for him to return, not knowing about the girls deteriorating health. By the time he go back it was too late, the girl passed away in her sleep. Darkrai, angry that the family neglected to take care of the girl while she was asleep, cursed the family and home.

2. Darkrai knew the father had gone to get a Lunar Wing to wake up the girl. Feeling angry and betrayed, Darkrai decided if he couldn't have the girl than no one could, and decided to let his Bad Dreams drain the girl of her life! Once the girl had passed away Darkrai then went after her family that tried to keep them apart, cursing them and their home.

Whatever way the story goes, the family was never heard from again and the Strange House became a haunted house, cursed by Darkrai's anger. However the ghost girl still remains, wanting to return the Lunar Wing that a Cresselia gave to try and cure her; but is not able to since she's bonded to the house thus cannot fully materialize at the Marvelous Bridge.

Don't know why I made a full story for the Gen V ghost and not any of the other's, I guess maybe because there was just enough info that my mind thought it could fill in the blanks.

Love your story about that, and it makes sense. Gives me another theory about Gen VI's Ghost too since you mentioned Yveltal. I said before it's possible she was a fatality from the Ultimate Weapon, which could be why she says "Your not the one..." but she may have been before that happened. I believe that Yveltal drained the life of the ghost girl, possibly like what happened to Ash in the first movie. But there weren't crying cloned Pokemon to help her, and she stayed dead. Xerneas took pity on the girl whose life was taken and brought her new life, but it wasn't complete. She was a mere shadow, a spirit who could move and speak, but not truly live. Flash forward a few hundred years, and the war happens with the Ultimate Weapon. The girl hears about a man (AZ) brought a Pokemon back to life truly, and she wants him to do it to her. But by the time she gets there, the weapon is destroyed. Frustrated she continues her journey, trying to find the man who can remake this weapon so she can truly live again. That man could be AZ, or even Lysandre because he recreated the Ultimate Weapon. But Lysandre is presumably dead, so it's likely she is searching for AZ.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
^^Yveltal is never referred to as "The Pokémon of death" in canon. Destruction, yes, stealing "life energy", yes, but outright killing? Find me an official quote.

I don't believe that "life energy" in Pokémon can be measured in "Years of life". Rather, it is referring to vitality, or "energy" if you like (though that would be a highly unscientific term). Having a Pokémon such as Litwick by your bedside wouldn't cause you to die any earlier, but it sure would be a lot harder to get up in the morning.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
^^Yveltal is never referred to as "The Pokémon of death" in canon. Destruction, yes, stealing "life energy", yes, but outright killing? Find me an official quote.

I don't believe that "life energy" in Pokémon can be measured in "Years of life". Rather, it is referring to vitality, or "energy" if you like (though that would be a highly unscientific term). Having a Pokémon such as Litwick by your bedside wouldn't cause you to die any earlier, but it sure would be a lot harder to get up in the morning.
Oblivion Wing is called "Death Wing" in Japan, plus it's the counterpart to the Life Pokemon. I think we can assume it's supposed to be the Pokemon of death.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Love your story about that, and it makes sense. Gives me another theory about Gen VI's Ghost too since you mentioned Yveltal. I said before it's possible she was a fatality from the Ultimate Weapon, which could be why she says "Your not the one..." but she may have been before that happened. I believe that Yveltal drained the life of the ghost girl, possibly like what happened to Ash in the first movie. But there weren't crying cloned Pokemon to help her, and she stayed dead. Xerneas took pity on the girl whose life was taken and brought her new life, but it wasn't complete. She was a mere shadow, a spirit who could move and speak, but not truly live. Flash forward a few hundred years, and the war happens with the Ultimate Weapon. The girl hears about a man (AZ) brought a Pokemon back to life truly, and she wants him to do it to her. But by the time she gets there, the weapon is destroyed. Frustrated she continues her journey, trying to find the man who can remake this weapon so she can truly live again. That man could be AZ, or even Lysandre because he recreated the Ultimate Weapon. But Lysandre is presumably dead, so it's likely she is searching for AZ.
The War with Yveltal happened after the Kalos War. Also the Ulitmate Weapon was hidden away, not destroyed (well, until Lysandre fired the blast back onto it, so now its destroyed). The reason no one could use it is because AZ had the key to use it.

Anyway I guess this could be a feasible theory, though I do wonder how the Life Pokemon wasn't able to fully restore her (also unless the Ghost Girl knows where her body is there's no way to revive her from being just a spirit). I kind of hope we found out more about her in XY2. And while we're at it, maybe in the Gen IV remakes they can expand upon the Old Chateau.

Semantics. :P And I think Lysandre planning on using Yveltal's power to use the Ultimate Weapon's genocide feature is a pretty clear indication Yveltal's power does cause death.

But what if all your vitality is drained from you? Your body needs energy to keep running, so without energy it'll start shutting down and once everything shuts down, well, you're dead. Granted for Litwik its probably a slow burn so you'll realize you're being drained of energy, but for Yveltal's cocoon transformation it sounds like it happens instantly.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
But what if all your vitality is drained from you? Your body needs energy to keep running, so without energy it'll start shutting down and once everything shuts down, well, you're dead. Granted for Litwik its probably a slow burn so you'll realize you're being drained of energy, but for Yveltal's cocoon transformation it sounds like it happens instantly.
More like you're hit with a pretty bad case of nausea and dizziness, and you're knocked out for the rest of the day. It takes away your strength, more or less, like a flu. Causes intense fatigue. And at some point Pokémon physics take over, and you lie there with spirally eyes. Drain too much of it, and you might die, but it's never stated that a Pokémon is capable of doing that. The only instances of death caused by drained life energy was from AZ's ultimate weapon, which was a machine. Over the course of the franchise, we've seen Pokémon repeatedly throw people over the horizon, bathe them in flames hot enough to melt boulders, run thousands of volts of electricity through them, encase them in solid blocks of ice or direct other monstrously powerful attacks right at them, all with no lasting ill effects. We've also seen people hang around the Celestial Tower, the natural habitat of Litwick, like it's no thing, and trainers stand behind Shedinja - with its back hole right in the middle of the field of vision - without anything happening. Yveltal flies around Kalos, and people don't run away from you screaming when you show it to them. It's quite clear at this point that Pokémon aren't (intended to be, from the designers' perspective) capable of causing lasting harm to humans. At least not intentionally, or without great difficulty. What happened to Ash might be chalked up to early installment weirdness, or attributed to a reaction between Mew and Mewtwo's attack, causing an effect that neither of them would be able to achieve on their own. And again, given the rules of the universe, it's not known whether being turned to stone is truly the end either. It was fixed in half a minute by ordinary Pokémon tears.

As for the Ultimate Weapon, well, in X Lysandre uses Xerneas' power to the same effect, so if anything, it's not specific to Yveltal. Maybe it's specific to Legendary Pokémon, though, like a source of energy only they possess. I daresay that the energy of the Pokémon may be used for malicious purposes, but at that point you're adding a layer of separation between the Pokémon and the killing. Yveltal charges the machine, the machine kills people. Big difference. Or, well, if you want to argue about semantics, it's never said that the Ultimate Weapon caused death upon activation either, only destruction and ending the war (powering it required the lives of some Pokémon, though, I'll let you have that). War isn't won by killing opponents, rather by achieving objectives. If they fought for control of an area, or the wrongful imprisonment of a noble, or for independence, or simply for settling a trade dispute, just clearing the area of conscious people and objects of value could be effective enough. Suddenly, there's nothing more to fight for, and rebuilding your home town is more important than continuing the war.

Pokémon is a kids franchise, heavily featuring elements of violence which would have reduced people to salsa under normal conditions, yet everybody on the receiving end of attacks walk it off the day after. The few references to death haven't been directly attributed to Pokémon in any instance, despite numerous opportunities. Heck, in most cases, the word "death" or any variant thereof isn't used at all. It's light-hearted, consequence-free violence, where every loss is a slap on the wrist, and not even the strongest attacks by the strongest monsters cause damage so serious that eating a root won't fix it.

Again, we need to be careful comparing various media with each other in this case. Yeah, in the anime, characters survive things that is very unlikely that they would (Team Rocket's skeletons should be powder by now), but in Adventures, we have this:

And several times, trainers have ordered their Pokémon to kill and they did in fact try.
When it comes to Pokémon lethality, the anime, manga, and games are like comparing apples, oranges, and bananas.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)