・゚✧ (≖ᴗ≖✿) Potatoville ✧*・

Sephirona

t-t-t-tubearrific. (✿≖ᴗ≖) ・゚✧*:・゚✧
is a Top Artist Alumnus
I did a thing

"Drawing" in Terraria is fun *v*
I'll probably move the lights around and replace the face with obsidian wall once I get around to making it. (The pools of water are there because I decided this would function as a shark lure)​

Sephirona

is a Top Artist Alumnus
For the Smogon Tour Coverage article in The Competitor:

I'd have liked to work on it a little longer, but I had to make sure it was drawn in time for the release since I was asked to draw it quickly. Azumarill's face is less three-dimensional than I'd like, and so is Gengar's back, for one. But I had fun drawing the glowiness in the display screen, so |D

could i have slowpoke family looking really derpy?
At the moment I can't take requests since I need to focus my energies on a few projects I'm working on (and a few requests I haven't had the chance to get to yet, too). Sorry ^^; But thanks for the interest!

^^ your drawings are awesome! Just curious what programme do you use? Photoshop is almost incapable of producing such smooth lines I think.
Aww thanks! I know what you mean - it's always been hard for me to tweak my pen pressure on Photoshop and for some reason it never seemed to work right. I recently started using Paint Tool SAI after returning to smogon, so that's what I've been painting with the past few months. I still use Photoshop to add finishing touches or draw other elements of some paintings, though :>

Lemonade

WOOPAGGING
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
i'm surprised an artist as good as you would have to double post :o
IS THAT YOUR CAP DESIGN????? DO YOU HAVE ONE???? PLEASE

edit: whoever deletes this message is a dictator

This is really incredible, the ideas you have for your art and the obvious passion you put into your work is breathtaking! Keep up the awesome work!

Hey, quick question - Is the Pokémon for the year 2022 (ie, 1998) on your Pokémon Chinese Zodiac drawing a Liepard? If not, what Pokémon is it? The markings around its eyes look kind-of like Lugia's

Last edited by a moderator:

Sephirona

is a Top Artist Alumnus
Sorry for my prolonged lack of updates, rl events have been keeping me busy and my heart wasn't in it for a while. I'm back now, though~

In my free time I painted an interactive Thousand Sunny from One Piece to test out a fantastic Terraria world editing program called Tedit:

The sail was a huge pain to paint since I had to fill the whole area with actuators and then paint the Strawhat jolly roger without the program. It's not a complete cutout of Sunny since I wanted it to look a certain way on the minimap, but I managed to sort of make the aquarium bar, kitchen, library and gym at the top of the first mast. Sunny has working cannon in its mouth, too. hee

Anyways, I'm working on finishing up a few Smog pieces since the deadline is close, and after that I'll be drawing something for the Tumblr so there probably won't be updates here for a lil while again \o\

i'm surprised an artist as good as you would have to double post :o
IS THAT YOUR CAP DESIGN????? DO YOU HAVE ONE???? PLEASE

edit: whoever deletes this message is a dictator
/me pet V0x

This is really incredible, the ideas you have for your art and the obvious passion you put into your work is breathtaking! Keep up the awesome work!

Hey, quick question - Is the Pokémon for the year 2022 (ie, 1998) on your Pokémon Chinese Zodiac drawing a Liepard? If not, what Pokémon is it? The markings around its eyes look kind-of like Lugia's
Thanks, that's very kind of you ^u^
And yep, it's a Liepard! I'm glad you noticed, haha. It was a bit challenging to draw simplified Pokemon in that paper cutout style, I guess it's hard to tell what some of them are woops

Eiganjo

So who did buy all the stroopwafels?
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Sorry for my prolonged lack of updates, rl events have been keeping me busy and my heart wasn't in it for a while. I'm back now, though~

In my free time I painted an interactive Thousand Sunny from One Piece to test out a fantastic Terraria world editing program called Tedit:

The sail was a huge pain to paint since I had to fill the whole area with actuators and then paint the Strawhat jolly roger without the program. It's not a complete cutout of Sunny since I wanted it to look a certain way on the minimap, but I managed to sort of make the aquarium bar, kitchen, library and gym at the top of the first mast. Sunny has working cannon in its mouth, too. hee

Anyways, I'm working on finishing up a few Smog pieces since the deadline is close, and after that I'll be drawing something for the Tumblr so there probably won't be updates here for a lil while again \o\

/me pet V0x

Thanks, that's very kind of you ^u^
And yep, it's a Liepard! I'm glad you noticed, haha. It was a bit challenging to draw simplified Pokemon in that paper cutout style, I guess it's hard to tell what some of them are woops

Someone has been a busy bee I see, it looks great though.
I'm sure you can make lots of other nice stuff in it now, would love to see more of this :3

Sephirona

is a Top Artist Alumnus
I'd like to apologize for my absence and lack of new artwork - life has been hectic the past few weeks and I have not had the time or the heart to draw. I'd also like to take this opportunity to, if only as a record for posterity, share one of my old artworks from 5+ years ago, my philosophy about watermarks and my current struggle with an art theft who is attempting to claim this particular piece as his own.

http://sephirona.deviantart.com/art/Rob-Lucci-Monochrome-110461841

It looks terrible with all the watermarks, I know. Throughout elementary school and middle school, I was plagued with issues of art theft - and while my skills were amateur and incidents were few and far in between, I developed a great aversion to the idea of having someone else claim credit for my artwork. Even though the art drawn by my unskilled hands was far from professional and depicted characters that were not my own, they were my drawings and I was proud of them. As a result, when I received my first digital tablet around the end of 2009, my paranoia at having my artwork stolen drove me to slap ugly urls, signatures, and watermarks on many of my early uploads to deviantART. The piece above has since been relocated to my scraps folder - I'm not proud of the watermarks, and I've since learned that those who truly want to steal your artwork won't be stopped by them. These days, for the benefit of those who view my art and for the sake of aesthetics, I use only small pixel watermarks. I don't want to punish honest people who can appreciate what I draw in my spare time - I draw to share my love for my favorite series with such individuals.

So imagine my surprise when, 6 years later, I am contacted by several good Samaritans online who inform me that my ugly old pockmarked painting above was edited and uploaded by someone going by the internet moniker "JimsNerdNation" so he can promote his internet persona and "Nerd" culture Youtube Channel and Facebook page.

And imagine my frustration when Youtube allows him to file a Counterclaim against my claim of image copyright theft requesting I file an official legal complaint, an action that is a clear abuse of the system because he expects that I'll just let it go and that the cost of hiring a lawyer wouldn't be justified. I have never sold my fanart for profit, and never will. Facebook removed his stolen image without issue, but who knows what's going to happen with Youtube.

I just think it's incredibly frustrating that people such as this deliberately target small-time artists and take advantage of the fact that they draw fanart so they can claim the character doesn't belong to the artist and therefore the original image they've drawn is free-for-all as soon as it's uploaded to the internet. Sure, I don't own the idea - but I definitely own the way I expressed my vision and positioned the elements of what was in my mind on the paper.

Anyways, that's about all I have to say on the matter for now. I've responded to Youtube explaining the situation, but it's up to them to stand up for what's right and to not tolerate this abuse of artists who pour their heart into their pieces in their spare time and expect no profit in return. I figure those of you here who draw Pokemon can at least relate to this issue - you don't own the Pokemon you draw, but no one would deny that your original depiction of it belongs to you. It baffles me that there are some people who are so shameless that they would trace/edit others' work and pretend it's their own. To you art thieves out there - whether you do it to stroke your own internet ego or not, remember that it looks really pathetic for you to be parading that artwork around to make you feel good about yourself.

I was a fellow victim of art theft in the past, which is one of the reasons why I left deviantART since that site makes you a magnet for that kind of stuff at least in my experience. You're a fantastic artist and a hard worker; anyone with an IQ better than a desk lamp can find your galleries and realize that you're actually the real deal. I did a mandatory course on copyright in university last semester, and man, intellectual property thieves are extra dastardly because sometimes you can't really prove who it belongs to. Keep in mind that someone who's a phony can't justify their "abilities" when the time calls for it. They can't, for instance, perform a live stream showing their process or present work in progress, and chances are good that someone will see through their act someday. Anyway, bottom line, you're not alone Sephirona so keep your chin up!

Sephirona

is a Top Artist Alumnus
I was a fellow victim of art theft in the past, which is one of the reasons why I left deviantART since that site makes you a magnet for that kind of stuff at least in my experience. You're a fantastic artist and a hard worker; anyone with an IQ better than a desk lamp can find your galleries and realize that you're actually the real deal. I did a mandatory course on copyright in university last semester, and man, intellectual property thieves are extra dastardly because sometimes you can't really prove who it belongs to. Keep in mind that someone who's a phony can't justify their "abilities" when the time calls for it. They can't, for instance, perform a live stream showing their process or present work in progress, and chances are good that someone will see through their act someday. Anyway, bottom line, you're not alone Sephirona so keep your chin up!
Thanks a ton for your message of support - I really appreciate it! What's really annoying is that my entry is clearly dated to January of 2009 and for years has shown up within the first two-three pages of Google Images if you Google the character name "Rob Lucci":

I don't know how much of that would prove that I'm the original artist but it's just so dumb that anyone would try. I'd totally challenge this guy to a livestream original artwork faceoff just to prove I can draw what I did, if my gallery and comments received over the years isn't enough evidence. I just think it's incredibly sad that this guy apparently has young kids - what an example of honesty and hardwork to be setting for your children, lol.

Anyways, thanks again. Guess I'll see this through and see how it turns out.

Sephirona

is a Top Artist Alumnus
Hi. I've been gone a long time. I'm sorry. ;v;
Luckily the semester's almost over so I'll be able to get back to drawing some more soon. \o/ I figure I'll break my postfast by updating this thread, so here's some stuff I drew over winter break. I tried playing around a bit more with color since it's one of my weakest points. I'll probably try to focus on drawing people as well as Pokemon in the months to come because I really need practice with people faces too;;

Yes I played Dragon Age for a while

Yes I fangirled over Commander Cullen for a while /hides face

Tried to not focus on 3-D rendering so much in this one (It's concept-art Solas~):

Also I think this was published in The Smog since the last time I was on so I can post it here too:

A lot of stuff on my threads broke so I have to go fix it all too ughhh

Okay there.

Hi sephirona! I was wondering if u could do some art for my new article?

Maybe something similar to the art on this article or maybe something entirely different. Thanks!
Sorry for the late reply, hope you had luck finding someone to illustrate for you.

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
oh cool, you're alive!

Really love the animations in the first pic. The electric ripples might be a bit overkill since the glow and moving chains would be enough to cement an impression, but it's definitely cool.

Sephirona

is a Top Artist Alumnus
oh cool, you're alive!

Really love the animations in the first pic. The electric ripples might be a bit overkill since the glow and moving chains would be enough to cement an impression, but it's definitely cool.
Hi Bummer ^v^ Thanks for the feedback!
I agree that it looks weird - initially I wanted to animate those wisps of energy to move much more subtly and slowly since that's how they usually move in-game, but halfway into the animation process I realized I have no idea how to animate smoke. I don't even know how I made it look like electricity, that was an accident. LOL. I'll make more of an effort to study videos of smoke frame by frame in the future.

Edit:

It occurred to me that I should post this as well since I love potato

Pikachuun

the entire waruda machine
I request you to create Potatochu, truly the greatest combination of Pikachu and something else.

Sephirona I was going to say that there was a disgusting lack of potato in your update post, but now that you have posted that thing all is well. Welcome back!

Sephirona

is a Top Artist Alumnus
Here's some more smog stuff that I think I haven't posted here...? My memory is terrible

I'm taking an intro to digital art class and we've just started learning about Illustrator so here's a thing I did in it too

And some more Dragon Age themed stuff from a while back:

Doodlies based on old memes. Shameless

Some gfx stuff here too, though I notice there's a separate subforum for that now?

---------
Finals are still two weeks away so I'm not comfortable committing to anything yet, but once they're over I'm looking forward to drawing Pokemon again *v*​

I request you to create Potatochu, truly the greatest combination of Pikachu and something else.
I am not able to take requests at this time but, fortunately, have already drawn Potatochu many moons ago (◡‿◡✿)

Sephirona I was going to say that there was a disgusting lack of potato in your update post, but now that you have posted that thing all is well. Welcome back!
It is my duty to rectify situations of imbalance on behalf of all tuberkind.
(Thank you! ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ)

Your work is stunning!! >n<; The whimsicalness of the potato gif reminds me of a Flash animation a guy in my class in high school made of Santa Claus delivering presents across dimensions, eventually bumping into Mario and sending him spinning and flying (random, I know). The one negative thing I could say is that the light beams in the Aromatisse gif don't seem to loop smoothly. Also, I'm curious about what you mean when you say colour isn't your strong point, because I like your colours. ;o; If you'd rather not explain, though, that's understandable.

Sephirona

is a Top Artist Alumnus
I'm smack in the middle of finals week and in a state of panic, hello.​

Drew this Volca-me for Issue#42 of The Smog. I pushed myself to finish this in an afternoon so it's not as neatly rendered as I'd prefer (such blobby will-o-wisps!!! sigh), but I had a lot of fun playing around with the colors so I'm mostly content. I still need practice painting hair and fuzz, though. And backgrounds. ovo​

Your work is stunning!! >n<; The whimsicalness of the potato gif reminds me of a Flash animation a guy in my class in high school made of Santa Claus delivering presents across dimensions, eventually bumping into Mario and sending him spinning and flying (random, I know). The one negative thing I could say is that the light beams in the Aromatisse gif don't seem to loop smoothly. Also, I'm curious about what you mean when you say colour isn't your strong point, because I like your colours. ;o; If you'd rather not explain, though, that's understandable.
Thank you >v<! I wanted to illustrate the exuberance of a hot potato being flung through life.

And thanks for the input about the Aromatisse gif! I'm not sure why I didn't make the animation smoother at the time. I might have gotten lazy, or possibly discouraged about the way it was looking so I gave up, haha. Or I might have been afraid that adding more frames would increase the filesize too much since it was recommended I keep gifs under 500 mb, I think. I'm not sure, it's been a really long time. I'll probably try my hand at some more simple animation over break.

And it's alright, I can explain! It's not a big deal, I just don't yet feel like I have as good a grasp of color as I'd prefer. I feel like my eye for color has gotten better since I started color editing gif graphics for Tumblr, but I'm still not good at choosing colors for art I've drawn from scratch. I work well in monochrome and tend to lean towards gritty, realistic palettes by nature, so when it comes to color I have to put in extra effort to make things more warm, vibrant, and complementary. My giant azumarill and charizard paintings are examples of what I mean when I say my colors sometimes end up being drab and flat - I'm comfortable enough when it comes to rendering details (given enough time) since I'm somewhat confident in my spatial awareness, but I still have a long ways to go when it comes to choosing palettes that work well. I'm okay with the colors in some of my pieces, but overall it's sort of a hit or miss for me and my execution often isn't deliberate or well-planned. I'll probably feel better about it with practice. But thank you very much for asking *v*!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)