OM Interviews (#26: OM room)

InfernapeTropius11

get on my level
Tbh, I think giving the user an autowin if you stay in and alive for two turns is pretty good imo and TI is a top threat (get it cuz he's admin so he is always on top of the user list? Heheh)

Uselesscrab, how do you feel about the current state of the global economy?
Certainly better here in the US than it was a few years ago, though things aren't going too well elsewhere in the world.

Is the OM Community perfect? If not, what improvement suggestions would you give?
Far from it. People need to act more mature. It would go a long way if arguments were more detailed and less focused on criticizing other users.

QueBien

Nomad, vagabond, call me what you will
Uselesscrab, what's your favorite thing about the OM community?
What's your least favorite thing about the OM community?
What was your favorite experience here at Smogon or Showdown?

Snaquaza

KACAW
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Well since this thread was bumped, have been working on getting a new interview, but my schedule is really strange right now. It'll come soon enough!

Ok, this interview died,

/me uses Max Revive

Uselesscrab, how is it like being a crab that is completely useless?
Not fun having people make jokes about your name all the time

Uselesscrab, what's your favorite thing about the OM community?
What's your least favorite thing about the OM community?
What was your favorite experience here at Smogon or Showdown?
The people here, for sure. Met so many great users in the community without whom I couldn't be where I am today.

Displays of arrogance

That's a really, really difficult question. I'm still trying to make my mark here on Smogon; I was pretty awful in OMPL last year, but this year I'm managing (those who can't do, teach, after all :P), and otherwise I only run a couple of projects. On PS, I've had some great battles and experiences in the OM room, but it's hard to isolate any in particular.

Uselesscrab any suggestions for BH beginners
Imposter-proof your sweepers, and make sure to account for Shedinja.

There are so many things I could say, but those are the first things I thought of, since I always see new players forget them. If you want, I can offer more advice o.o

Snaquaza

KACAW
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
#13 Kl4ng, that guy with a like 200/10 win/loss ratio

How did you get into Pokemon, PS, Smogon, Other Metas and this community?

I originally started playing Pokemon after an IRL friend of mine had gotten me into Pokemon Crater which by extension led me to the games, though I never really got into competitive until I discovered Serebii and read some of the analyses there, which really piqued my interest. Eventually I joined Smogon and PS! when it was created, and joined the OM room when it was created since at the time I was a really avid BH player. I was never really into playing OMs other than BH until the OMotM project was created though, since in my opinion it’s not as fun to play metagames without a ladder.

What is your favorite aspect of Other Metas, and why?

I like how every metagame showcases a new dynamic of the game. AAA, for example, really helps you understand how certain abilities can make or break a Pokemon while STABmons for example does the same for moves, and Tier Shift for stats.

What is in your opinion the most underrated Other Meta?

Definitely Inverse. It has so few players despite being such a fun metagame, and I can only assume most people don’t want to play it because they think the metagame is only ChansLugg, which isn’t true. Following Diggersby’s ban, Avalugg isn’t nearly as mandatory, and very viable teams are possible without the Iceberg. Lots of things succeed where you would expect them to fail given Inverse’s unique quirks, and there remain many undiscovered threats given the metagame’s low playerbase. If you haven’t played it yet it’s definitely worth a shot!

What is your favorite Other Metagame, why?

Still Inverse Battle, for the aforementioned reasons. Hidden type is a close second though!

What would you encourage new OM users to do to get into OMs?

If you contribute positively and regularly to the chat and/or forums, you are bound to get noticed eventually. Don’t be shy, we don’t bite!

What would you change about Other Metas?

Ban imas I’m not sure what to suggest here honestly. Perhaps I’d be more strict on shitposters in the forums, though it’s hard to draw a line and easier said than done. If we’re talking OM wise then I’d probably reintroduce max EVs in BH given that GameFreak keeps cracking down on hacking and eventually BH will just be unplayable.

What do you support for next OMotM, why?

While Averagemons has been OMotM before, given its new bans which balance out the metagame and ORAS changes I definitely think it deserves another stint as OMotM. Averagemons’ premise has always been a very intriguing and fun one, which increases the viability of Pokemon you would never have expected to be usable, such as Corsola and Magcargo, and you get to use them against Ubers to boot!

What do you think of the OM room right now?

I think that the OM room has evolved positively over time, and while I sometimes miss the tiny room that had a more tight knit community, the current room’s tournament environment and not-too-big-not-too-small size makes it a room that everyone can enjoy.

Do you enjoy being staff there?

Yeah! Being able to mute problem users and not needing to notify anyone is rather nice, especially at later hours where a global auth usually needed to be called in to deal with the problem.

Why do you think you were promoted to a staff position?

Well I do know those reasons since I got to read the staff convo, though bar the regular promotion reasons I’ve been with the room since it was created so I think that played a factor.

Who do you admire the most of the OM community?

I don’t really admire anyone by definition of the term, though I respect many good battlers such as word, Kumiromi, Adrian, Flint, and lcass.

What would you recommend people to do to get better at teambuilding and battling in Other Metagames?

Don’t just throw random threats together and hope they work, because they won’t. To build an effective team you have to consider the metagame’s threats and build to beat them effectively. Usually your first draft won’t and you’ll find yourself losing a few matches on the ladder, but you should know how to tweak your team for the future after having played a few games. In addition, in my opinion stall is far more effective for early laddering since you learn the metagame faster, so in my opinion even if you’re a more offensive player you should start off with a defensive team to better get a grasp of the tier.

How is it to be on this many councils?

It’s always nice to have a say in a metagame’s future and the ability to take action against threats you think are overpowered with other people. It’s humbling to know people think you’re skilled enough to be on their council as well!

How do you specialize in many metagames?

In general my strategy is to apply the same strategies in each OM I play (Exploiting the metagame’s quirks while doing so, of course) and see if they work well. If they do work I’ve got my team, and if they don’t I try to tweak my team until it works. After doing this a while you develop a general intuition of what will work in a specific metagame and what won’t, and you’ll find that building effective and consistent teams will be very easy.

What metagame or project would you add if possible?

If you mean for a permanent ladder position, then I would probably pick Hidden Type. The unpredictability and variety of unique possibilities - offensive and defensive - mean that much like Inverse battle it is very unique.

Who do you think is an underrated OM user?

The Commadore / Kumiromi doesn’t play as often anymore but he’s very good at most metagames he plays, and definitely deserves more recognition in my opinion.

What do you think of the AAA metagame?

After the recent bans I think that it’s become a relatively balanced metagame where playstyles from both HO to stall are viable and neither is overwhelming. If I had to pick something that was perhaps overpowered at the moment I’d say Poison Heal, though in my opinion it’s really good but not broken.

How is leading AAA after this drama?

To be honest, most of the needed bans were already in place so it hasn’t been that difficult. After banning chatter and retesting Mamoswine there wasn’t really much else to look at - if anything happens if the future it’ll probably be an ability clause.

What do you think of what happened to it?

From what I understand, it was TI and EG’s opinion that given Monte’s behavior he was unfit to lead the tier, and I was offered leadership. I don’t know the details of their decision so I can’t really comment on whether or not I would have agreed at the time, though given Monte’s blacklisted status I think that had he not been removed then he would probably have been removed later on given that a blacklisted tier leader wouldn’t exactly be ideal.

How has the tier progressed?

In the beginning AAA was a very spammy tier, in the beginning hosting a ton of Aerilate spam, which then moved on to Protean and Adaptability/Tough Claws. Aerilate and Protean were banned because the Pokemon that could take advantage of it effectively were innumerable, while in the case of Adaptability/Tough Claws the broken users were banned. Today’s tier in my opinion harbors a more diverse selection of strategies and is balanced enough for all playstyles to shine.

An AAA team + explanation?

imas234 (Deoxys-Speed) @ Red Card
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 HP / 244 Def / 12 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Taunt
- Psycho Boost

imas232 (Metagross) @ Metagrossite
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 52 Def / 204 Spe
Adamant Nature
IVs: 0 SpA
- Rock Polish
- Meteor Mash
- Thunder Punch
- Earthquake

imas235 (Genesect) @ Life Orb
Ability: Refrigerate
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 72 SpA / 184 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Techno Blast
- Flamethrower
- U-turn

imas236 (Latios) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psyshock
- Draco Meteor
- Recover
- Calm Mind

imas237 (Infernape) @ Life Orb
Ability: Desolate Land
EVs: 212 Atk / 44 SpA / 252 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Close Combat
- Fire Blast
- Mach Punch
- Swords Dance

imas233 (Skarmory) @ Sharp Beak
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
IVs: 0 SpA
- Swords Dance
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Whirlwind
Basically a HO team featuring Moldy Deo-S and Defiant Metagross. It's actually this team that started the Defiant Metagross trend, so knowing that I was the first to use what is widely considered the best Defiant mon is nice.

Any final words?

E4 Flint is a scrub and offense is bad.

Why did you cross out "ban imas" on what to change about OMs?
When were you converted to the terribad stall religion?
[18:22:35] @InfernapeTropius11: #fuckstall
[18:33:35] @InfernapeTropius11: offense OP
What is your opinion on above user and their statements?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)