Spritzee (Revamp) [QC: 3/4]

QC Checks: Obvious Power / The Avalanches / macle / ---
GP Checks: --- / ---

[OVERVIEW]
Spritzee's great bulk and typing allows it check several prominent physical threats, including Fighting- and Dark-types, while providing team support through Wish and Aromatherapy. This makes Spritzee invaluable to defensive teams, balanced teams, and even some offensive teams, and its ability to fit on many defensive cores makes it even easier to include on teams. Spritzee can also function as an effective late-game sweeper using Calm Mind and its amazing bulk. Aroma Veil makes Spritzee's job easier by granting an immunity to Taunt and Encore. Spritzee's typing can also be a hindrance, as it is easily walled by common Poison- and Steel-types, including Foongus, Magnemite, and Ferroseed. This poses a problem when Spritzee attempts a sweep, or when a teammate is badly injured. Furthermore, Spritzee's lack of offensive presence without Calm Mind boosts makes it easily walled and easy to switch in to. Because Spritzee is so frequently used to handle Fighting-types, it virtually always finds itself losing its Eviolite by the end of the match, which is a serious problem if it intends to sweep.

[SET]
name: Defensive
move 1: Wish
move 2: Protect
move 3: Calm Mind / Aromatherapy
move 4: Moonblast
ability: Aroma Veil
item: Eviolite
evs: 212 HP / 196 Def / 12 SpA / 76 SpD / 12 Spe
nature: Bold

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
  • Wish gives you recovery and can be used to heal teammates, but this set is more inclined to sweeping than supporting
  • Protect lets you heal from wish without being forced to take damage, scout choiced mons, and avoid damage from fake out
  • Calm Mind lets Sprtizee set up late-game
  • Aromatherapy removes bad status effects from Spritzee and its teammates
  • Moonblast is STAB, and hits all the things Spritzee checks as well as having good neutral coverage for sweeping

Set Details
========
  • Bulk is maximized for largest possible wishes and to tank physical hits better, rest are filler
  • Eviolite is preferred to further bolster Spritzee's bulk
  • Aroma Veil keeps Spritee from being Taunted or Encored

Usage Tips
========
  • Use Spritzee a cleric to recover teammates' lost health and restore status (if it carries Aromatherapy) early- to mid-game
  • If Spritzee is carrying Calm Mind, bring it in late-game once all its checks and counters are weakened to begin setting up
  • Spritzee should mainly be switching in on Dark-types not named Pawniard and Fighting-types not named Croagunk or Pancham (unless it lacks Gunk Shot), although one should be somewhat cautious with Spritzee if it carries Calm Mind and there are no secondary win conditions on your team
  • Because of Wish and Protect's mechanics, using them can allow the opposition to switch in dangerous offensive Pokemon late-game and potentially allow them to set up, so avoid being overzealous with Protect

Team Options
========
  • If Spritzee carries Calm Mind, its best partners are ones that can beat some of the things that Spritzee doesn't like
  • Porygon has great synergy and a offensive download set can lure in and KO steel-types with the appropriate Hidden Power. HP Fire from Porygon will KO Ferroseed after Tri Attack and HP Fight will KO Pawniard, but either choice will deal significant damage to steel-types.
  • Diglett and Gothita can trap many threats to Spritzee and KO them. Diglett can trap most Fire-, Steel-, and Poison-types, but misses out on Foongus and Ferroseed. Gothita can trap Foongus and Ferroseed as well as Poison-types, but will struggle to trap Fire- and Steel-types
  • Ponyta and Numel can easily beat most of Spritzee's checks. Steel-types and Foongus have trouble breaking through either of the two, and are destroyed by their STABs. Ponyta and Numel can also break through Poison-types not named Skrelp, given that most other relevant Poison-types (pretty much Gastly and Croagunk) don't exactly want to take their STABs. Numel can also handle Fire-types, but Ponyta will have trouble breaking through, although Ponyta offers itself as a good Fighting-type check so Spritzee doesn't have to switch in only to take a Knock Off.
  • Spritzee's great bulk and typing allows it to form defensive cores with a large amount of Pokemon in LC
  • Munchlax and Lickiting also have good synergy. Munchlax can lure steels with Fire Punch or Earthquake, and Lickitung forms a double wish core and can use Heal Bell
  • Ferroseed and Hippopotas form a great defensive core with Spritzee and can provide residual damage through entry hazards and sandstorm. Hippopotas provides an answer to many grounded Poison-types and Fire-types, although it will dislike being burned or poisoned. Ferroseed handles Foongus and Skrelp lacking Hidden Power Fire, which neither Spritzee or Hippopotas can take on, while taking on any Shell Smash user or Water-type that may threaten to power through the team. In return, Spritzee offers Wish support and a Fighting-type check to Ferroseed, and an answer to Carvanha, which may try to power through Hippopotas.
  • Chespin can easily handle Foongus, Bellsprout, and Gastly, three pokemon that would otherwise take advantage of Spritzee
  • Bulky Pokemon in general that get worn down easily as well as Pokemon who hate status will really appreciate Spritzee's cleric support. Skrelp, Timburr, Mienfoo, Chinchou, and Pancham are good examples.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
Spritzee can function as a consistent Trick Room setter thanks to its natural bulk, recovery, and immunity to Taunt, but Trick Room is a very underwhelming strategy in metagame. Draining Kiss is an option over Moonblast on any set to provide more immediate recovery, but Moonblast's power allows it to land key KOes that Draining Kiss misses out on. Toxic is a possible option to wear down defensive Pokemon, but Spritzee's main checks which it would like to Poison are immune to the status, and more often than not Spritzee simply does not have room for it. Hidden Power Fighting is a potential option to lure Pawniard, and Hidden Power Fire can be used for Ferroseed, but Spritzee usually does not have room for any coverage moves. Spritzee also has several more interesting coverage options, including Thunderbolt, Flash Cannon, and Psychic, although Spritzee has little room for them.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Steel-types**: Spritzee will be hard pressed to handle Steel-types given their resistance to Spritzee's STAB. Magnemite's Flash Cannon and Pawniard's Iron Head will easily 2HKO Spritzee, and Ferroseed can set up hazards and wear down Spritzee through Leech Seed and Iron Head.

**Poison-types**: Gastly, Foongus, Skrelp, and other Poison-types can take a Moonblast and hit Spritzee with their super-effective STAB. Foongus has the advantage of removing any boosts Spritzee has accumulated with Clear Smog as well.

**Fire-types**: Ponyta, Life Orb Vulpix, and Larvesta can each switch in and take anything Spritzee can throw at them due to resisting Spritzee's STAB, and power through Spritzee with their own Fire-type STAB.

Last edited:
This is ready for QC.

I left Draining Kiss off the analysis for now. I feel like it is a vastly inferior option compared to Moonblast on the Calm Mind set, although it does have some merit, so I didn't mention it for now. Once I'm convinced either way, I'll give it a slash or just mention it. I'm also trying something a little different for team options on the Calm Mind set by organizing teammates by the type of team they work with Spritzee on.

Overview: Maybe mention how easily its walled and how easy it is to switch into.

Calm Mind: I don't think I would ever use Aromatherapy over Protect. I don't really think it deserves a slash here.

Team Options:
Ponyta beats basically all Spritzee checks, should mention it along with Numel imo.
I don't think Numel is really used on defensively oriented teams and tbh it's just not all that relevant and doesn't need to be mentioned twice in this section.

Cleric: Make sure to fix Aroma Veil's spelling

Other Options:
Spritzee has a ton of coverage moves like Tbolt, Flash Cannon, Psychic, etc.
Put Draining kiss in here

Make sure to expand on some Team Options and Other Options and QC 1/4

i've implemented all of the above and expanded on team options and other options. i also added HP Fire to OO as an option to KO Ferroseed. ready for the next check

The Avalanches

pokemon tcg
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Overview:
Mention that it's immunity to taunt and encore are very helpful in its role as a setup sweeper / cleric

That's honestly all I have, amazing job

QC 2/whatever.

Rowan

The professor?
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
can't we just make one set?

they both function basically the same, one gives a bit more support, but calm mind can sweep late game. there really isn't much different between the two, and they play almost the same until very late game, when cm could sweep.

Camden

Hey, it's me!
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I have to agree with Rowan. Both sets play the same with the slight exception of how they handle a free turn, and how they operate late game. It should just simply be Aromatherapy / Calm Mind instead of having an elongated analysis.

I've thought about it, and I've decided to combne to two sets as per rowan and quotecs's suggestions. I'll do that later tonight

ok, i've combined the sets. im pretty sure i've implemented everything correctly, but lemme know if i missed something.

Corporal Levi

ninjadog of the decade
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Overview:
I don't think being weak to Pawniard warrants its own point, as Magnemite, Foongus and others are arguably better Spritzee checks anyway because they can switch in more than once.

Change the set name to "Support" or "Defensive" or something like that.

Checks and Counters:
Say that the Steel-types can easily 2HKO Spritzee, because they don't come anywhere near OHKOing.

not QC but you might wanna add an sdef set to OO as its a better switch in to abra and chinchou than physically defensive but is otherwise inferior.

Rowan

The professor?
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
add chespin as a teammate - switches into gastly+foongus+bellsprout, which are mons that can easily take advantage of spritzee and turn it into a liability

yeah, somebody can take over from here. summer break is starting and I really don't see myself putting any time into this or C&C in general for a month or two.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)