In Memoriam

Status
Not open for further replies.
As some of you might know, the Doubles OU community has experienced a great loss. It is with great sadness that I have to report that user Benja299 has taken his life at a very young age. Please show your respect and not ask any further questions about this tragedy. Rather, lets remember the fond times we have shared with him. The Doubles OU community will miss you a ton man. Rest In Peace.

Feel free to comment any good memories that you have of Benja.

Once again, please respect everyone's privacy during this tough time.

Even though I cannot join Smogon/PS! more because of work, I still lurk around sometimes, and when I saw this thread pop up on my phone I had to stop and say farewell.
Rest in piece friend.

EDIT: Benja's mixtape was just posted on chat, I figured I'd post it here so we can listen it one more time.

Last edited:

13ulbasaur

* It seems to be nervous about fighting.
is an Artist Alumnus
Oh my goodness I... I really don't know what to say, it feels so surreal, but at the same time, I feel like I should be saying something.

Benja, benja, he was always a bit on the rude side, but he was still, nice, y'know? Really fun person too. Whenever someone was being stupid in the room, I never could say anything particularly straightforward and rude (moral compass etc.), but instead I'd always just wait for Benja to say what I wanted to say (maybe with a couple of insults strewn in).

Lest We Forget.

Stratos

Banned deucer.
i heard a rumor almost two hours ago and it was confirmed about a half hour ago but ive been in tears the entire time. I'm writing this post now because my fingers are finally not shaking too violently to type. Benja was a good friend, a great friend even. he went through such personal growth in his time on smogon. this is not how it was supposed to end. To know not just that he died, but that he was in pain while still here and I couldn't help him....i miss him so badly.

To amend this pain, to avoid this pain
Can I share this pain and keep away?

Hello, I just happened to scan across this thread by chance and, sadly, it hits quite close to home with me.
I've never played Doubles OU and I've never met Benja, but I would like to offer my sincerest condolences. Suicide is a very serious matter and I wish the best for everyone who knew him personally, especially his family and friends. I hope him and his contributions won't be forgotten. Heaven's gained another angel today.

Pastelle

we're all star stuff
To say that I'm shocked is an understatement. Benja was one of the first users to actually be nice to me on PS!, and he's a big reason as to why I decided to become involved in the community. He was a shit talker, a legendary memer, but a great player buy and large. The few skype calls I had with him were really fun.
Thanks for putting a smile on my face Benja, from Banjo Town and beyond, you were always a hoot.
May you rest in peace. :[

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I didn't know Benja that well, but in my limited interaction with him he seemed pretty cool. I truly want to offer my condolences to his family and friends, both internet and irl. Suicide hits home so I know your guys' pain.

Rest in Peace Benja

Empress

Warning: may contain traces of nuts
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I spoke to benja one time- during the DOU Salamencite test. Not once did I think it'd be the last time I'd ever interact with him. Benja, we might not have talked outside of that, but I'll still miss you. I offer my condolences to the entire DOU community.

mags

Banned deucer.
Benja was a funny friend. I stopped talking to him which i deeply regret now but when I first came on showdown I watched benja play multiple games and I looked up to him as a great player with a great personality. I keep remembering this one time when benja was in the ubers rooms and he schooled me in a tour final then gave me some tips after in pm's. No doubt benja has touched many of our hearts and Condolences to everyone who knew him. Benja will be greatly missed.

Tokyo Tom

Somewhere between psychotic and iconic
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Even though I had only met him recently, I'll remember Benja as a nice and outgoing guy who reached out to me and made me feel at home in a group of unfamiliar faces. Just by hanging around him, you could tell that he was always enthusiastic and good at making people laugh, and was just a positive presence to everyone around him - you could tell that his friends cared about him very much. This is a way no one should ever have to go. Rest in peace man, hope you find happiness in the next life.

GlassGlaceon

My heart has now been set on love
Man I used to talk to Benja almost daily; dude was absolutely amazing. It's absolutely awful that he took his own life and I'm crying while writing this post. I feel like trash right now because I never once gave the guy time to ask how he was doing; Please earnestly send out your prayers to him and his family. I don't know if death hits you guys as hard as it does for me but...if you really think about it, it's absolutely sickening. We all passed by benja, we all talked to him. He's not gonna be here anymore and I pray that he's up in heaven smiling down on us. He was always so happy and I hope he stays that way up there man...jeez. I'm really speechless about this, my thoughts aren't coming out straight. This is a gigantic blow; we have lost a precious life.

Quick PSA: Guys let's remember that there are real people behind these screens. It isn't just some random cpu bot who has no life and no soul. Please always encourage each other, always check up on one another, and always love each other. I know that d4nk m3m3ing is funny and all but sometimes we gotta step back and realize that life really isn't a joke. I'm not saying that any of you caused it but just to prevent anything like this from any users in the future, please stick to these guys closer than brothers. The Doubles Community is in deep mourning, send out your final prayers to us so we can recover.

Rest In Peace Benja, you will be forever missed.

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Benja was extremely down to earth in a community that has always faced some level of elitism among its most prominent members. He earned my respect not only through his skills as a player but also through his attitude towards the game and those who played it.

Rest in peace, man. You deserve that much at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)