Resource ORAS NU Viability Rankings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also could I get an explanation on why Kangaskhan is so high? It has solid stats and a good movepool, but is that really enough to keep it at A+?
From what I've gathered, it's a meta game call really. Offense is really present at the moment and Kangaskhan wrecks any sort of offense. It is fast enough to threaten a lot of stuff, Silk Scarf'd STAB D-E ruins anyone's life, you can't even switch in ghosts against that thing. But I believe the biggest reason is that it has access to double priority while being able to till run a coverage move on the 4th slot. That combined with it's solid stats and the fact it teams up so well with so many threats in NU makes it worthy of A+ imo.

Edit: as for Kabutops giving it a hard time, that's not true. SR+Fake-Out+Earthquake kills it, which means Kabutops has the time to get exactly 1 Aqua Jet in and then dies.

DennisEG

Civil Engineer
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I think Fletch need to be Rank +A reason why should move out imo there is only a few counters/check for these mon which are Rotom, Rhydon, Stunfisk, Lanturn, Barbaracle, Kabutops, Magneton and Garbodor (to Extend) all these mons are easily wear down by WoW on switch ins. Yes they are a full counters but u gotta be running at least one of those to check this bird which is overcentralizing the meta imo, thats why i think this bird is unhealthy for meta and a big threts with some gud partner for these counters like RD Ludicolo for example. The thing is the drops are check to bird but imo those mons aren't staying in the NU

Kabutops actually i think need to be quick ban yeah i know sounds insane but who stop this beast the inferior Toad ( quagsire) gets bop by natural gift Kabu set, gets 2hko for Rain Dance LO waterfall 252+ Atk Life Orb Kabutops Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Quagsire in Rain: 208-246 (52.7 - 62.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery, and the entire metagame get hko or 2hko with the RD set, SD set is deadly as well althought this set isnt thaat dealy cuz u can revenge it.

Also Pinsir should be A Rank at least i think is an underrated mon but is really gud rn, there is a set that basicaly murder every single swtch in i remenber rn here some calc of those
252 Atk Life Orb Mold Breaker Pinsir Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Weezing: 177-208 (52.9 - 62.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
252 Atk Life Orb Mold Breaker Pinsir Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Ferroseed: 169-200 (57.8 - 68.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Life Orb Mold Breaker Pinsir Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Rhydon: 159-187 (38.4 - 45.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 Atk Life Orb Mold Breaker Pinsir Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Rotom: 234-278 (76.9 - 91.4%)

Last edited:

Orphic

perhaps
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Okay guys I hope this will be less controversial than my last nomination, although that went down well so here goes:

Mawile from A+ --> A

This is a real shame considering we only just found a nice niche for this little guy, with most people enjoying the Stealth Rock utility set which had so many cool moves to help out the team, as a hazard setter and a baton passer, sometimes with boosting moves like Swords Dance on the same set, Mawile was really making a name for itself down in NU, and then this happened:

+

Mostly it's Magneton that's affecting Mawile, but I'll talk about Fletch soon enough. I feel like with these new drops, Mawile's viability has taken a huge hit, and it's ability to carry out it's role has been hindered majorly. The prominence of Magneton at the moment, where a lot of them are running Magnet Pull, means Mawile is scared to stay in for just one turn through fear that Magneton (a safe switch) will come in and just crush Mawile's ability to contribute to the match. Being typically physically defensive, even Eviolite Magneton just plows through Mawile:
252+ SpA Magneton Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mawile: 246-291 (80.9 - 95.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
While Mawile can do nothing to protect itself.
Additionally, given Magneton's natural bulk, even the Specs or Scarf variants take a Life Orb Sucker Punch from offensive Mawile pretty well:
252+ Atk Life Orb Mawile Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Magneton: 97-116 (40.2 - 48.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
Given all of this, Mawile simply cannot hold its own in the current meta the way it was beforehand, and should drop to A, possibly A-.

Just a word on Fletchinder, since you may be thinking Mawile sets up rocks and helps the team out vs Fletchinder. Well, particularly against the defensive Mawile, Fletchinder can set up Swords Dances, take advantage of Mawile's lack of recovery and wear it down with Will-O-Wisp, set up Substitutes, etc. And naturally, the offensive Mawile is crippled by Will-O-Wisp as well, and Fletchinder proceeds to boost and beat it 1v1. So if your flying check is Mawile, you're still going to lose out. Hope this all makes sense to everyone~

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I'm gonna go ahead with these noms:

Kabutops A --> A+: Kabutops is easily a top threat that deserves A+. It hits extremely hard and its speed is good enough, allowing it to get off hits against Mesprit, Sawk, and stuff like Adamant Kanga and Fletchinder. Water/Rock is great both offensively and defensively and very few Pokemon can continuously take hits from it. Defensively, it serves as a good check to Fletchinder and can gain opportunities to fire off attacks against Normal-types while checking fires. Rapid Spin is a really nice move to use and Kabutops hardly feels the 4MSS as a simple spin + 3 attacks already grants it the good coverage and the ability to spin when needed. Easily an A+ threat imo

Pyroar A --> A+: Pyroar is just really threatening. Nothing switches in safely to this, slower Rock-types fall to HP Grass unless they have prio while the likes of Lanturn, Hariyama, and Magmortar are hit for a good 40% by Hyper Voice and these aren't the hardest things in the world to wear down. Good speed gives it a lot of chances to fire off hits, while its coverage with 3 moves is so good that the last slot can be customize for stuff like wisp to hit all its counters safely, taunt to prevent recovery from walls, or even stuff like flamethrower or wild charge.

Also agree with Mawile dropping to A and Cacturne dropping to B+

I think Pinsir and Fletch are fine where they are, neither of them really like SR nor can they really switch into anything.

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I'm not sold on moving fletchinder up. Right now the meta is saturated with Magnetons and Magenton counters. Most of those counters stop Fletchinder from doing any major damage and require fletch to burn early game and force numerous switchins to the point where it can KO with acro from +2. This means you're required to run hazard support, which while isn't hard to fit, makes your team style take a certain shape which doesn't let fletch fit onto as many teams as I'd like. I like that its a blanket check for priority, but overall I just don't see it in A+ in this current metagame.

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
Hey I'm ~kinda back for now, cool meta. I've been running Bouffalant with fair amount of success, Lanturn is cool, and Electivire is actually good in this meta!

I know E-vire hitting everything super effectively but failing to OHKO anything is usually mentioned as a big downside. But the meta shift has been extremely favorable. It's an offensive check to Fletch and Magnet, which isn't something most offensive Pokemon can boast about. With hazard support and Volt Switch, it can chip down stuff to the point it can be OHKOed later on, people are carrying Magneton checks such as Lanturn, which is people's blanket check for electrics, and the ability to break through them with EQ is great. Seismitoad leaving has been favorable as well, as you need less prediction with HP Grass stuff, if you are running it. Now running HP Grass isn't as required - though it still is needed vs Quag, Quag is nowhere as popular as Seismitoad.

I'm not sold on moving fletchinder up. Right now the meta is saturated with Magnetons and Magenton counters. Most of those counters stop Fletchinder from doing any major damage and require fletch to burn early game and force numerous switchins to the point where it can KO with acro from +2. This means you're required to run hazard support, which while isn't hard to fit, makes your team style take a certain shape which doesn't let fletch fit onto as many teams as I'd like. I like that its a blanket check for priority, but overall I just don't see it in A+ in this current metagame.
I'd also like to add, that fletch does have a million counters, with that being everything single rock type ever. Will-o-wisp hurts on most but fletch still can't do anything as practically any rock move ohkos, even if they're wisped. Fletch can stop a lot of threats right in their path but the fact that it suffers from 4mss and only runs one attacking move can really let it down.
Also, stealth rocks.
Also, Kabutops aqua jet
Also, probopass (like he gives a crap bout will-o-wisp)
A+ is just a bit too high for a poke with so many counters.

Silver Aurum

Hello there
I'd also like to add, that fletch does have a million counters, with that being everything single rock type ever. Will-o-wisp hurts on most but fletch still can't do anything as practically any rock move ohkos, even if they're wisped. Fletch can stop a lot of threats right in their path but the fact that it suffers from 4mss and only runs one attacking move can really let it down.
Also, stealth rocks.
Also, Kabutops aqua jet
Also, probopass (like he gives a crap bout will-o-wisp)
A+ is just a bit too high for a poke with so many counters.
Fletchinder has the option of running U-Turn though which I find to be extremely helpful to give you offensive momentum VS one of those million counters although you would have to forfeit wisp. And with Will-o-Wisp any residual damage vs Fletchinders counters is nice seeing as they dont have a reliable form of recovery and Kabutops will get worn down quickly through Life Orb + Wisp damage

Reactions: nv
Rotom-Fan spin B+ ---> B/B-

This thing is just not good right now, it's walled by way to many things in the tier and usually outclassed by one of it's electric counterparts, it's much better just to run normal rotom in this meta as things like hariyama which rotom's air slash benefited from aren't as common. It's also not a very good scarfer being walled by magneton and rhydon, sure you can trick the scarf but they can just kill you or do significant damage and by the time you realize you have a non scarf rotom-s sitting there you are gonna wish you had a normal rotom or magneton. Do I even have to point out the stealth rock weakness? I understand the niche of a scarf mon with trick, but rotom-s is completely outclassed at that job by regular rotom and haunter. Also the defensive set just sucks right now in the offensive meta we have that easily tear it apart

Tl;dr Use regular rotom instead.

Last edited:

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Cacturne breaking down teams
Battle 1
Battle 2
I didn't even play Cacturne as well as I could have in these battles, fyi.

There's still something to be said about a powerful mixed attacker with dual STABs that score huge damage on a large majority of walls in NU and has access to the single most raw damaging priority in the tier (even stronger than Fletch's Acrobatics), not to mention that while its bulk is pretty ass Cacturne has more than made up for that with its useful resistances. Need I mention Cacturne's Sucker Punch is more effective than it meets the eye, due to Cacturne's immunity to Sleep Powder and Aqua Jet?

That's just talking about the mixed attacker set; I have not even discussed the Swords Dance variants and Spiking variants. Swords Dance Cacturne could give a rat's ass about Unaware Quag, and its boosted Sucker Punches will brutalize just about anything that isn't resistant or carrying priority of its own, this is still reason enough to run Wisp on your LO Pyroars even with Yama's slight decline. As for Spiking Cacturne, well it's essentially a variant of the mixed attacker set (I just have Spiky Shield on mine) that uses its resistances and offensive presence to set up on walls; if you've seen in those battles I could have plenty of opportunities to lay down some Spikes despite Cacturne's awful bulk. The appeal to Spiking Cacturne is that it can maim nearly every hazard remover in the tier, with the sole exceptions of Togetic, Mantine, and Pelipper (the latter two need Flying attacks to properly retaliate), and even Xatu would hesitate on switching into mixed Cacturne.

I will admit that Cacturne is probably one of the more deceptive A- Ranks we have, but further testing has definitely convinced me of its niche. It's not like Cacturne has gotten much worse in this meta either: while new faces such as Fletchinder are not a pretty sight, targets such as Lanturn, Stunfisk, and Gourgeist have risen in prominence for it to take advantage of. Cacturne is fine in A- Rank.

Edit: marilli Spiky Shield also has the benefit of letting me scout Choice users (Sawk), scout for coverage moves (does Yama have EQ to hit my Garbo switch?), and even punish priority users like Swellow and Zangoose, especially with their dwindling health. Of course, Spiky Shield is not something I'd recommend just throwing onto Cacturne; it just so happens I happen to have decent defensive synergy among my team and have Toxic Spikes going, making the stalling + chip damage a more significant factor.

Last edited:
Rotom-Fan's main niche is a physically defensive set, somewhat comparable to Zapdos. The Scarf set is probably the most common though, but if you're going to judge its ranking based solely on that set you can easily drop it a few ranks with Magneton now in the tier. However the defensive set can run Will-o-Wisp which is one of the best moves in the game and heavily cripples Rhydon. It's also difficult to switch in on Electric/Flying coverage for offensive teams (especially a combination of Discharge and Air Slash... ouch). There's Magneton and Lanturn essentially, and both don't like getting burned. It should only be used for its utility and unique typing imo, as it deals well with specific threats like Gurdurr and Klinklang. It also doesn't die to Knock Off like regular Rotom, has much better bulk and power and Scarf Air Slash definitely has its perks over Shadow Ball. So I think it's fine where it's ranked now atm.

Rotom-Fan's main niche is a physically defensive set, somewhat comparable to Zapdos. The Scarf set is probably the most common though, but if you're going to judge its ranking based solely on that set you can easily drop it a few ranks with Magneton now in the tier. However the defensive set can run Will-o-Wisp which is one of the best moves in the game and heavily cripples Rhydon. It's also difficult to switch in on Electric/Flying coverage for offensive teams (especially a combination of Discharge and Air Slash... ouch). There's Magneton and Lanturn essentially, and both don't like getting burned. It should only be used for its utility and unique typing imo, as it deals well with specific threats like Gurdurr and Klinklang. It also doesn't die to Knock Off like regular Rotom, has much better bulk and power and Scarf Air Slash definitely has its perks over Shadow Ball. So I think it's fine where it's ranked now atm.
Choiced Rotoms are known to run Will-o-Wisp as well. That or Trick. Sometimes even both.

I don't think rotom-fan should move down at all, it's just not seen as much useage due to the hype that all the other electric types have seen. You can easily run a lure set with hp ground to beat any magnets, aswell as will-o + air slash to help wear things down. I'd definitely say it's not lost its use at all in this meta, it just changes its hidden power. I'd also definitely say that scarfed rotom fan is not the most effective set right now, just use an e-belt. It sits in a good speed tier that outspeeds sawk, mesprit and magmortar and is still extremely useful.

Cacturne breaking down teams
Battle 1
Battle 2
I didn't even play Cacturne as well as I could have in these battles, fyi.

There's still something to be said about a powerful mixed attacker with dual STABs that score huge damage on a large majority of walls in NU and has access to the single most raw damaging priority in the tier (even stronger than Fletch's Acrobatics), not to mention that while its bulk is pretty ass Cacturne has more than made up for that with its useful resistances. Need I mention Cacturne's Sucker Punch is more effective than it meets the eye, due to Cacturne's immunity to Sleep Powder and Aqua Jet?

That's just talking about the mixed attacker set; I have not even discussed the Swords Dance variants and Spiking variants. Swords Dance Cacturne could give a rat's ass about Unaware Quag, and its boosted Sucker Punches will brutalize just about anything that isn't resistant or carrying priority of its own, this is still reason enough to run Wisp on your LO Pyroars even with Yama's slight decline. As for Spiking Cacturne, well it's essentially a variant of the mixed attacker set (I just have Spiky Shield on mine) that uses its resistances and offensive presence to set up on walls; if you've seen in those battles I could have plenty of opportunities to lay down some Spikes despite Cacturne's awful bulk. The appeal to Spiking Cacturne is that it can maim nearly every hazard remover in the tier, with the sole exceptions of Togetic, Mantine, and Pelipper (the latter two need Flying attacks to properly retaliate), and even Xatu would hesitate on switching into mixed Cacturne.

I will admit that Cacturne is probably one of the more deceptive A- Ranks we have, but further testing has definitely convinced me of its niche. It's not like Cacturne has gotten much worse in this meta either: while new faces such as Fletchinder are not a pretty sight, targets such as Lanturn, Stunfisk, and Gourgeist have risen in prominence for it to take advantage of. Cacturne is fine in A- Rank.

Edit: marilli Spiky Shield also has the benefit of letting me scout Choice users (Sawk), scout for coverage moves (does Yama have EQ to hit my Garbo switch?), and even punish priority users like Swellow and Zangoose, especially with their dwindling health. Of course, Spiky Shield is not something I'd recommend just throwing onto Cacturne; it just so happens I happen to have decent defensive synergy among my team and have Toxic Spikes going, making the stalling + chip damage a more significant factor.
Punch, my main point about cacturne is that it rarely gets switch ins, against competent players, they will often not allow this to happen too often or manipulate the game so that cacturne just sits there looking pretty because it can't come in on anything apart from a prinplup (game 1) and a gourgeist / maybe claydol (game 2) since i have known a few variants to carry signal beam or ice beam. I'm sure it's got good sucker punches and powerful stabs, but it very rarely has a chance to come into use in games and when it does, more often than not they have a switch in.

Teddeh: 6227113 said:
Punch, my main point about cacturne is that it rarely gets switch ins, against competent players, they will often not allow this to happen too often or manipulate the game so that cacturne just sits there looking pretty because it can't come in on anything apart from a prinplup (game 1) and a gourgeist / maybe claydol (game 2) since i have known a few variants to carry signal beam or ice beam. I'm sure it's got good sucker punches and powerful stabs, but it very rarely has a chance to come into use in games and when it does, more often than not they have a switch in.
I think he makes a good point that cacturne gets more switch in opportunities than what meets the eye especially with recent shift. Of course competent players will do well not to let cacturne make many exploits and i do agree that its frailty is a problem along with the fact that there are a few more or less reliable switch ins in the tier (as well as lack of speed making it prone to having to sucker punch more than not against offensive teams) which is why I am albeit on the fence with whether it should be A-/B+, but as an avid user of cacturne, with how centralizing magneton is and therefore the increased presence of some of its checks like lanturn, stunfisk and frens, cacturne does get more switch in opportunities than the way you appear to make it out to be. Besides the obvious voltturn support and the use of double switches, cacturne gains nearly free switch ins against quite a few defensive pivots that are being used much more like lanturn, stunfisk, gourgeist, claydol, torterra and carries very useful dual offensive STAB that enables it to smack very hard against the solid amount of switch ins I have seen it cause, especially in fear of one of the most powerful STAB forms of priority in the metagame that at least gives something to work with against more offensive teams. Well, then again I'm not very adamant about it dropping and can see the reasons for it dropping to B+ for reasons previously stated :P

Orphic

perhaps
I think he makes a good point that cacturne gets more switch in opportunities than what meets the eye especially with recent shift. Of course competent players will do well not to let cacturne make many exploits and i do agree that its frailty is a problem along with the fact that there are a few more or less reliable switch ins in the tier (as well as lack of speed making it prone to having to sucker punch more than not against offensive teams) which is why I am albeit on the fence with whether it should be A-/B+, but as an avid user of cacturne, with how centralizing magneton is and therefore the increased presence of some of its checks like lanturn, stunfisk and frens, cacturne does get more switch in opportunities than the way you appear to make it out to be. Besides the obvious voltturn support and the use of double switches, cacturne gains nearly free switch ins against quite a few defensive pivots that are being used much more like lanturn, stunfisk, gourgeist, claydol, torterra and carries very useful dual offensive STAB that enables it to smack very hard against the solid amount of switch ins I have seen it cause, especially in fear of one of the most powerful STAB forms of priority in the metagame that at least gives something to work with against more offensive teams. Well, then again I'm not very adamant about it dropping and can see the reasons for it dropping to B+ for reasons previously stated :P
What do you mean it got more switch ins with the recent shift? It doesn't switch in on fletch, pinsir or magneton, and not reliably on kabutops. Also, it lost a switch in with seismitoad leaving, so please explain how it gets more switch in opportunities with the new drops.

Orphic

perhaps
because plenty of the pokemon that check the drops like lanturn, stunfisk and torterra are safe switchins for cacturne, so it pairs well with the drops

he even said it in his post o.o
Lanturn is not a safe switch in, it carries volt switch, ice beam and thunder wave, at least two of these on most sets. I'm pretty sure Torterra does a chunk with EQ and Cacturne doesn't exactly scare it that much. Stunfisk again, carries t-wave, toxic, discharge which can paralyse, I'd still be hesitant switching cacturne in on this.

yes it is, just by having cacturne you are making the opponent hesitant to go for scald/earthpower/earthquake to you know, actually kill your magneton (which can then start going for hp ground if your opponent is fool enough to try and toxic/discharge/ice beam (how common is this?) your magneton. yes you can predict the cacturne switchin but it's far more risky for your opponent not to try and kill magneton as soon as possible, given that it's the most dangerous mon on the field.

by that logic nothing safely switches in on lanturn or stunfisk, which obviously isn't the case

Lanturn is not a safe switch in, it carries volt switch, ice beam and thunder wave, at least two of these on most sets. I'm pretty sure Torterra does a chunk with EQ and Cacturne doesn't exactly scare it that much. Stunfisk again, carries t-wave, toxic, discharge which can paralyse, I'd still be hesitant switching cacturne in on this.
My main qualm was mainly my confusion with why cacturne should go down on the basis that it does not gain any switch in opportunities when if anything, it gained more other than ofc losing seismitoad. With magneton not only being as centralizing as it is and a lot of its checks for the most part having little offensive presence but also the fact that cacturne can come in on the likes of lanturn, terra, stunfisk, etc. and take advantage of the fact that the opportunity cost to making a prediction and crippling cacturne in some way is very high. A big part of success in teambuilding and in particular offensive/balanced cores in general (I've been having relative success with cacturne+magneton and have seen lanturn+ cacturne put in work) is the ability to help another mon generate more free switch in opportunities and gain more momentum in the process. The presence of magneton alone helps cacturne do just this as a decent junk of balanced builds incorporate these harder stops in the mons that check magneton and; furthermore, it can be incredibly risky and in many cases not worth it to simply make these predicts that if improperly made magneton and hell others can take advantage of, especially when quite a few of these mons' first priority is to check magneton in the first place.

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
The one thing that Seismitoad leaving did for Cacturne is that it made Cacturne one of the only good water absorb mons left. Having a scald immunity is pretty huge as lots of Pokemon who use scald often rely on the burn to wear down switch ins. And you don't have to risk crippling your grass type with a burn.

soulgazer

I FEEL INFINITE
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
As an active member of the NU Viability Ranking Council, I would like to nominate Stunfisk to rise:
  1. Stunfisk looks like Zebraiken
  2. One of the best users of Stealth Rock
  3. Cool Ground / Electric typing
  4. More (Do I need to explain in details stuff that the vast majority of users on Smogon should already know about this beautiful creature?)
If you have any comments about this post, please contact my secretary: Raseri

Thank you

Vivillon A- ---> B+

Vivillon really hates the results of this tier shift as Magneton walls it, Lanturn, Stunfisk and other Electric-types are on the rise making Hurricane not as useful anymore. Its coverage is also very poor in terms of the current state of the meta making it very hard to sweep with. It doesn't help that Fletchinder and Sneasel also revenge kill it regardless of the amount of Quiver Dance boosts Viv has gotten unless its carrying a focus sash and hasn't had it broken yet (which is unlikely if it has already used Quiver Dance). It still puts in a ton of work against certain teams, but against others, it can be dead weight after it has put something to sleep.

I disagree with Vivillon dropping. While Mag and Fletch being introduced into the tier hurting it, I wouldn't say it deserves to drop because of it. Vivillon ran HP Ground before Magneton dropped, and that is only more reason to run it more. After one QD it ohkos Eviolite Mag, and while weak against Stunfisk and Lanturn, you can just sleep those Pokemon and set up on them. And while Fletch revenges it, banded Sneasel actually fails to OHKO with Ice Shard most of the time, and it is one-shot by Hurricane, and you can't really switch in Fletchinder on Vivillon since you are either put to sleep or hit by a strong Hurricane.
Plus it's not like it didn't benefit from anything the drops provided. With Mag in the tier now, people are reluctant to using Steel types, which opens the door to more Hurricane spamming. Plus Kabutops, while a problem with Stone Edge, can easily be handled by common Pokemon like Lanturn or Torterra.

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Strongly agree with Cacturne rising. Life Orb special with Sucker Punch is crazy good in this metagame for its ability to put tons of pressure on balance and still be good against offense. It can also switch safely into most Lanturn and all common Stunfisk because Ice Beam is not common at all on Lanturn, and it doesn't fear the Scald burn because of Water Absorb. Yes, they can Volt Switch against it, but it still forces your opponent to play more predictably because of its mere presence on your team. A lot of common Grass resists (Magneton, Fletchinder, Garbodor, Scyther, Xatu, Vileplume, etc.) don't switch into Life Orb Dark Pulse for shit, and most Dark resists barring Mega Audino don't take Life Orb Giga Drain well either because Hariyama has fallen drastically out of favor.

Vanilluxe also needs to be ranked. I'd venture to throw it in B, but I'm sure people will fight for it to be way lower than that because they are plebeians and don't understand its sheer power. I built a Vanilluxe team a couple weeks ago, and I don't think I've lost more than a game or two with it. What makes it so good is that it's the strongest Ice-type with access to Freeze-Dry, which is what separates it from Jynx. Ice Beam / Freeze-Dry / Hidden Power Ground hits the vast majority of the tier, leaving you with room for all kinds of weird filler moves, including Autotomize; Flash Cannon for Piloswine, Jynx, Cryogonal, and Sneasel; Signal Beam for Malamar, Sneasel, and based Grumpig; Ice Shard for priority (it has fucking 95 Attack); Explosion (95 fucking Attack); Magic Coat; fucking whatever you want. Most teams have a whopping Magneton and/or Sneasel for Ice resists that don't get smacked by Freeze-Dry, and both of them get 2HKO'd by Ice Beam or OHKO'd by the appropriate coverage move. You also outspeed Modest Magneton and have Weak Armor to switch into stuff like Kangaskhan's Fake Out or Sneasel's Ice Shard and then outspeed them the following turn. This Pokemon is seriously threatening. Here are a couple replays of it doing work:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nu-234306326: vs Davon, killed a Sneasel and forced his Stunfisk to attack rather than getting up Stealth Rock
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-nu-61305: vs Omfuga, three goddamn kills

I think it's easily a better Pokemon than Bouffalant, Leafeon, Mantine, and Pawniard, which are all in B.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)