In Memoriam

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am also part of the people that never got the chance to know you, not even seen u in the doubles room, but I couldnt leave it without giving my sincerest condolences to everyone who knew Benja. I truly hope you rest in peace. Yes I dont know you, and its very unfortunate I wont get the chance to in this world, but All these guys up there expressing what a wonderful person You were, are, just leaves me stunned since it means it's quite a loss we're all facing. Rest in peace Benja, All I can give are words, but the I hope our feelings will reach you.

Edit : As the people before me said in their posts, it's of utmost importance to remember we're all humans here, we all have emotions and are susceptible to life's swings. We just have each other to love in the end, so please spread the love, even a single caring comment can make the day of a sad person. If the leaves wont stick together, a simple gust will blow each one away, yet its the firm tree that stands rigid in the worst of storms. Always tell a friend, family memeber, or any close person you know. I'm even willing to listen to any problem from anyone if you resort to telling a stranger, but at least try telling someone despite it being hard.

Last edited:
Don't play doubles much (I play VGC) but have recently been getting into the swing of things. Didn't know Benja but from the sounds of it he sounded like a really cool guy who I would have loved to have been friends with.

My thoughts and condolences are with his family, friends and the DOU community.

Rest In Peace fellow Smogonist.

It's funny how things work. You don't necessarily like a person until something like this happens, and then you start to forgive everything he's done to you and punish yourself for everything you've done to him. Looking back on everything I said to Benja and everything he's replied to, he was never the fire starter I thought he was in the beginning, but instead just a misunderstood soul lurking among anonymous opposites in the world. He never fought at, only fought back, because we couldn't understand him, or we disagreed with him when he was either right and we couldn't get it or wrong and he couldn't get it. RIP benja, I'll miss having him around as a player and as a chat presence.

This week the world suffers a huge loss. Benja was a really smart guy, and he had the fire and passion to become the best at everything he did. It pains me that i didn't really know about his struggle. He was a great friend, and was always one of my toughest opponents when playing this game, although that all seems very pedestrian now.
I'm glad i got to know you Benja, I've never met anyone like you, and i will never forget you.
This man was fire. My deepest thoughts go out to his parents and his little bro, who are affected by this more than anyone else.

I have never met Benja, but to know a Smogon user committed suicide... and especially a well-loved one.

May you rest in peace Benja, and find eternal happiness in heaven.

SparksBlade

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Community Leader
meh i remember when he came to the ubers room(this was before he shifted to dubs) and wasn't treated so well by a couple auth(won't name cos iirc they've been dealt with) felt bad for him and i tried to be nice to him, had a chat with him sometimes when he went to dubs, real cool guy and i was happy that the dubs room had not treated him the same and accepted him, difficult for me to react to cos this is the first time i've lost someone since i gained some maturity, dunno what else to say but you'll be missed bud, r.i.p.

Syncrasy

Change the game, don't let the game change you
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
never really knew the guy but ,he seems really cool by how people describe him. Wish you the best Benja where ever you are and my condolences to the Doubles community and his family.

I won't pretend like I knew Benja personally, I've only seen him in replays or occasionally on Showdown. But then, I haven't been particularly involved in the community for a while now, I just hop on when the desire strikes me. Anyways, I saw this thread and my heart broke. This story strikes so close to home I felt I had to write something. So sorry if this is long or I ramble, but this is something that really matters.

A little over a year ago I played a ton of Pokemon. I was on constantly: playing, team building, anything to distract myself from my life; because my home life was filled with fighting and grief, and my schoolwork and relationships suffered for it. I was clinically depressed, and I felt like I had no hope. One day the Doubles PS room held a voice challenge, and I had never been voiced before so I decided to learn the meta and started playing. Even after I achieved the ladder ranking required for voice I stuck around the Doubles room; because the people in it were the friendliest I had met on Showdown, and the group was small and tight-knit. After particularly bad days I would get on and just hang out for hours, enjoying the company of the community. Thankfully I never seriously considered suicide (I was far too arrogant, valued myself too highly), but the Doubles community really did help me through my depression. So thank you, friends, for helping me when I needed it.

I'm sure Benja would say the same. We can only hope so, really, but I would like to think we impacted him in a positive way. I would like to think we made his life more bearable, that logging on and hanging out was a retreat from whatever he had going on. Reading the posts in this thread it's so obvious that Benja was an incredible guy. He's been called friendly, kind and funny over and over, the sort of guy you're blessed to know. He'll be forever remembered as an outstanding individual, and though I didn't know him, I would give the world to have him back.

For Benja, we can only hope we helped; but for everyone else, we can make sure. We have to make sure, because a tragedy like this isn't something we can allow to be repeated. Whatever role we have in each other's lives, we have to make sure we impact each other positively. We are hereby responsible for one another, for one another's lives, and we have to take care of each other.

The thing about the internet, about interacting in the way we do, is that it's so easy to put on a mask. It's so easy to pretend everything is alright, that you're just another teenage guy playing competitive Pokemon and that your life is great. It's so easy to be nice and funny, and have no one suspect that you're struggling with depression. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting we take off those masks and get all emotional in the PS room. Oftentimes, those masks are necessary to escape from the real world. I'm just saying that as a community, it is our responsibility to disregard the masks. It doesn't matter if someone pisses you off sometimes, or says the wrong thing. It doesn't matter if someone is nice and friendly and pretends to laugh along when you insult them. We have to show each other love regardless of our personal emotions. Regardless of the way people act. Because there's no telling what's behind that mask, and if being friendly and accepting has the possibility of saving a life, it is wrong not to do so. Every interaction we make is of the utmost importance, because every interaction we make has an impact, no matter how small, on those we interact with.

So please, take this pact with me, in honor of Benja. Swear to do right by each other, to love and encourage each other. Swear to be accepting of new members, and never look down on or insult each other. Swear to always consider the impact of our words, to never hurt each other, because our words could be of ultimate importance. Because, regardless of what you believe, to do otherwise is wrong. To not try to save someone's life when the possibility is presented is wrong.

Benja, you sound like you were an incredible member of the community, and your memory will always be a part of our community. I send my prayers and sorrow out to your family. May you rest in peace.

Last edited:
Oh my god...Benja was actually among my favorite users in the pokemon community. God knows what he went through..but people like him they're what make this world a lovable place...This is all coming straight out of my heart.
You were beautiful. Rest in peace.

I must say learning this hurts me on a very personal level (;-;). Benja and I actually hung out a lot on Pokemon Showdown. While to a lot of people saw him as rash he was actually really nice when you took the time to really get to know him. We built a lot of teams together and I could tell he had a lot of potential when it came to Doubles. He was also very open to some of the less than standard ideas I had about the metagame.

We both take a lot of heat (him more than me) at times (at times being more me), so we got along right from the start. I wish I had been more active to help the guy out, but what happens happens and all we can do now is give him our best wishes and learn from this experience as a community. I hope myself and the community can be more kind and open-minded in the future. In memory of the good times I have some of the many battles we had (in chronological order bar G7):

G1
G2
G3
G4
G5
G6
G7 (to me this was a wonderful game)

To me, Benja lives on in our memories and our minds regardless of whether we saw him as friend or foe. I will miss him a lot; without his support I don't know if I myself would've been able to keep it going during some of the toughest years of my life. Thank you Benja, and I am truly sorry I could not repay the favor...

I'm honestly worried about his friends around the room now. It seems that people are feeling guilty, feeling like they could have helped, but in truth we should not. Benja was the type of guy to not be very open with his emotion(probably to keep a certain image around the room), so it would have been very difficult to tell whether or not he was going through so much. Of course there may have been signs, but small signs show up with literally every person when you look really hard.

Benja was a cool guy, who I am sad that I did not get to spend more time chatting with. I'm glad that I got to get fairly close with him, and I'm going to try to use this experience as one to learn from. Benja was one of the last people I'd expect to do something like this, and I now understand more than ever that sometimes it's not so apparent that people are struggling with depression.

Benja was a chill dude, and not a bad rapper :]
I wish this could be more of a celebration of his life than anything, but we did not know of his life all too well.
Anyway

Peace Benja
Loved that guy

Benja was a brilliant guy. He was one of the people I met first on here, and one of the ones I had known the longest. He was brilliant with words, he was a god at plays, he was funny and he was friendly. He was my friend. And I will miss you, Ben.

Josh

Damn. I have never really gotten into the Doubles tier, but I would still like to offer my condolences and prayers to Benja's family and friends. This guy seemed like an absolute legend based off of what I have read from this tier (a god in doubles, his own YouTube and mixtape). This really is a tragic story man. But this taught us all something, to be grateful for the friends we have irl and on PS, and to just talk with them really can make a difference. Like people before me have said, if you are ever feeling down and/or hate life in general, always talk with a friend or your parents, and they can always help you out.

I have known him since the days when doubles room was ruled by mighty Soap Sand.
His "eZ" became sorf of a meme in the room and that is an accomplishment that speaks for itself.
It really makes me sad that I didn't have time to get him know better.

Damn, i saw this on facebook earlier and almost couldnt believe it. Benja was a great, down to earth guy. We shared some pretty funny times and he was always great to talk to. You'll be missed dude. My deepest condolences go out to his family and the doubles OU community.

R.I.P my man

I never met this guy, but honestly, it's really sad to hear that.

My consolenced to his family, friend, or anyone who knows this person.

RIP.

I must say learning this hurts me on a very personal level (;-;). Benja and I actually hung out a lot on Pokemon Showdown. While to a lot of people saw him as rash he was actually really nice when you took the time to really get to know him. We built a lot of teams together and I could tell he had a lot of potential when it came to Doubles. He was also very open to some of the less than standard ideas I had about the metagame.

We both take a lot of heat (him more than me) at times (at times being more me), so we got along right from the start. I wish I had been more active to help the guy out, but what happens happens and all we can do now is give him our best wishes and learn from this experience as a community. I hope myself and the community can be more kind and open-minded in the future. In memory of the good times I have some of the many battles we had (in chronological order bar G7):

G1
G2
G3
G4
G5
G6
G7 (to me this was a wonderful game)

To me, Benja lives on in our memories and our minds regardless of whether we saw him as friend or foe. I will miss him a lot; without his support I don't know if I myself would've been able to keep it going during some of the toughest years of my life. Thank you Benja, and I am truly sorry I could not repay the favor...
Thanks for posting his battles. It will be a way for us, to "keep him so close" with a lot of deep feeling.

And Benja, wherever you are, your music is really nice.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)