Resource OU Checks Compendium (Read Post #72)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bludz

a waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hey I'd add Mega Aggron to Talonflame switch-ins.

252 Atk Talonflame Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 16+ Def Filter Mega Aggron: 91-109 (26.4 - 31.6%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

Can T-Wave or Rock Slide or something in return.

I'll browse through more later to suggest some stuff but I was using this thread as a reference (very useful) and that stood out to me since I was referencing Talonflame checks.

Yeah, back when I started putting this thing together in early March, I seem to recall there being some hype surrounding specially defensive Manaphy (including the team that Aragorn the King mentioned), so I added it to Gengar's section. Not sure how common or good it is now, though, so I guess I could remove it if need be. The Porygon2 and Goodra stuff has been added.
Any link to the set/EVs or somesuch?

Okay, first of all, I want to apologize for not paying as much attention to this thread as I should have. These past few weeks have been pretty insane, which is why I've been really inactive lately. That said, my last final exam is tomorrow evening, after which I should have plenty of free time to start doing Pokemon stuff again. The first thing I want to do is update the list to match the current viability rankings since I've missed a few updates, so if anyone can summarize what all needs to be updated, I'd really appreciate it! If not, I'll go through and find the necessary changes myself, no big deal. Once that's done, I'll go ahead and update the individual entries with a new section for guaranteed switch-ins. This new category will basically consist of Pokemon that can switch into virtually anything that a threat can throw at them (even if just once or twice), for which I'll take into consideration any move that appears on the main slashes of a Pokemon's analysis page or is common enough to appear on its moveset usage stats section. The other sections will be for situational switch-ins (things that can switch into some variants but not others, or things that can at least switch into a threat's STABs or other spammable moves and still win) and non-switch-ins (basically what I've got now, can't switch in safely but still revenge kill a threat). Keep an eye out for those changes over the next few days.

All that aside, I've added the above suggestions. Also, TURBODERP, check Aragorn the King's post on the previous thread. It has a link to one RMT in particular that showcased the specially defensive Manaphy set I was referring to, as well as a description as to how it functioned.

Gyarados actually have to watch out for Sheer Force Rock Slide from Naive Landorus since that move 2HKOes it (guaranteed after Rocks)
Yeah, but since it doesn't appear as a main slash on Landorus's analysis page nor is common enough to appear on its 1825 moveset stats, I decided not to consider it here.

Also AM what is that, 3 VR updates in the past week or something, you're killing me man lol. Oh well, I'll try to get those updated soon enough, but I might try to get this new category squared away first and then just worry about the reorganization later.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Yeah, but since it doesn't appear as a main slash on Landorus's analysis page nor is common enough to appear on its 1825 moveset stats, I decided not to consider it here.

Also AM what is that, 3 VR updates in the past week or something, you're killing me man lol. Oh well, I'll try to get those updated soon enough, but I might try to get this new category squared away first and then just worry about the reorganization later.
All in a days work hehe

I'd put Omastar into Talonflame checks, it can come in on any move bar Grass Natural Gift and OHKO with Hydro Pump, Surf, or Scald

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Agent Gibbs considering we do updates more frequently now in VR thread I think the best way to edit is to use the BB Code Editor the wrench on the right hand side of comments and posts. This will allow you to just copy the code so that it also takes all the pictures as well through text format instead of dragging one by one. It'll make organization a hell of a lot easier and I know I do this with VR thread sometimes so not sure if you weren't doing it like this but if you weren't some food for thought to make your life easier.

hi Agent Gibbs (<- how do i make that blue?). ive lurked smogon for quite some time and used this thread religiously so since i finally made an account i would like to say thank you for putting this together. it's a really great help to people who like to play balance and want to make sure they have pokemon that check as many pokemon in the tier as possible. i have a question though. why aren't celebi and mega venusaur and chesnaught listed as guaranteed switch-ins to breloom? is it because breloom can maybe set-up on them if they dont have a super effective move?

p2

Banned deucer.
hi Agent Gibbs (<- how do i make that blue?). ive lurked smogon for quite some time and used this thread religiously so since i finally made an account i would like to say thank you for putting this together. it's a really great help to people who like to play balance and want to make sure they have pokemon that check as many pokemon in the tier as possible. i have a question though. why aren't celebi and mega venusaur and chesnaught listed as guaranteed switch-ins to breloom? is it because breloom can maybe set-up on them if they dont have a super effective move?
To tag people, just put an @ before their name.

The reason Celebi and Venusaur haven't been listed yet is probably because there are still some pokemon missing and a lot of people just don't notice them. But you're definitely right in saying that Celebi+Mega Venu are switchins for Breloom because neither of them care about Spore and resist both of its STAB moves.

edit: Just checked, Celebi and Mega Venusaur are both there for Breloom switchins, you probably just missed them

To tag people, just put an @ before their name.

The reason Celebi and Venusaur haven't been listed yet is probably because there are still some pokemon missing and a lot of people just don't notice them. But you're definitely right in saying that Celebi+Mega Venu are switchins for Breloom because neither of them care about Spore and resist both of its STAB moves.

edit: Just checked, Celebi and Mega Venusaur are both there for Breloom switchins, you probably just missed them
fleggumfl thank you! And I mean why are they listed as situational switch-ins instead of guaranteed switch-ins? they seem like they can always switch into breloom no matter what because they cannot be spored and barely take anything from its moves

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
fleggumfl thank you! And I mean why are they listed as situational switch-ins instead of guaranteed switch-ins? they seem like they can always switch into breloom no matter what because they cannot be spored and barely take anything from its moves
The Swords Dance set with Facade does a lot of damage to both of them, so they can only be considered situational switch-ins.

Actually, the reason is that I just haven't gotten to Breloom yet lol. Or anywhere close for that matter. I just recently got a job working with hospital maintenance from 7:00 to 3:30, so combined with the other stuff I do in the evenings, I'm still a little short on time. I'll try to get more done from time to time, provided my internet doesn't completely die like it did yesterday lol.

Agent Gibbs considering we do updates more frequently now in VR thread I think the best way to edit is to use the BB Code Editor the wrench on the right hand side of comments and posts. This will allow you to just copy the code so that it also takes all the pictures as well through text format instead of dragging one by one. It'll make organization a hell of a lot easier and I know I do this with VR thread sometimes so not sure if you weren't doing it like this but if you weren't some food for thought to make your life easier.
Well, I can copy and paste each entry and all of its pictures at the same time, so that isn't a huge hassle. The problem is that the ranks are in multiple posts, so I have to jump from post to post sometimes depending on the rank changes. There's also the fact that there's a couple of Pokemon who moved from below to B- to B- or above, so I have to make new entries for them. I'll get it done though, it'll just take time.

Also, Omastar has been added as a Talonflame switch-in. Oh, and I'm actually thinking about changing this to an alphabetical ranking after all and just putting a link to the viability thread in the OP. Not only will it be a lot easier on me due to my hectic schedule since I won't have to update it (except in the case of new entries), but it'll also make searching Pokemon easier for players who don't exactly know the viability rankings by heart (and considering that the rankings are going to be updated more frequently, these are both bigger concerns now than ever).

MrAldo

Hey
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Oh, and I'm actually thinking about changing this to an alphabetical ranking after all and just putting a link to the viability thread in the OP. Not only will it be a lot easier on me due to my hectic schedule, but it'll also make searching Pokemon easier for players who don't exactly know the viability rankings by heart (and considering that the rankings are going to be updated more frequently, these are both bigger concerns now than ever).
Oh, pretty please, this would be lovely. Right now I kind of struggle to find the respective switch-ins if I forget where the mon is ranked. Putting them in alphabetical order would make finding the respective switch-ins a LOT easier.

Would love this.

Okay, so big update. First of all, the check entries are now organized alphabetically. This idea seemed to have a lot of support behind it, and I feel that it's a more user-friendly way of organizing the compendium. I've also completed the GSI sections, and the full definitions for each category have been added to the OP. I mainly just searched through the former SI section to find GSIs with the remaining checks forming the new SSI section. That said, there might be few NSIs here and there that might fit in SSI due to the more flexible nature of the new section. If you notice anything of that nature (or anything else that needs to be changed in general), feel free to suggest changes as always! Oh, and if there's anything that rose from C+ and below to B- and above recently that I missed, let me know and I'll make a new entry for it.

And that should be it for the major changes, so outside of small adjustments and the occasional new entry, this compendium should be all set. Thank you everyone for your patience, and I hope this is a huge help in your teambuilding!

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hi

I eyed over a-k and some things caught my eye:

Bisharp: move Terrakion to SSI. It can switch into knock off, SD, and sucker punch safely and only fears iron head. I would also put Mandibuzz in GSI cuz idk how Bisharp wins unless it's at +4 and gets a flinch (foul play 2HKOes at that point as well + Bisharp ain't staying in unless its a sack or mandi is rly weakened).

Not entirely sure why mega Venusaur is only a SSI to Breloom when it's a flat out counter to every set bar SD Facade, in which case it still wins unless I'm mistaken.

Mega Venusaur actually loses to CM clef 1v1 if it switches in on a CM when clef is at full. It should be SSI because of this. It beats every other set tho

Add Slowking to Diancie SSI

Garchomp could be moved to Dragalge SSI (sludge wave, t spikes, f blast)

Cress could be a Gallade SSI cuz it can eat a knock and t wave, then whittle and recover. Loses if Gallade SDs tho

Mega Gyarados is unique cuz of type change but Keldeo can actually lose if it doesn't have hp electric and mega Gyara doesn't mega and carries eq. If we're talking strictly the mega then it's fine; otherwise SSI seems to fit a bit better.

Clef is not a GSI to Megachomp. It loses if it gets up an SD or if sand is in play. I'm even hesitant to call it an SSI cuz if its not unaware then it straight up loses.

Slowking is a GSI to Heatran cuz it beats even power Herb variants. P2 as well

Slowking is a GSI to Keldeo. (You seem to not have it anywhere so if u want I can go over the list again and list all the mons it's a switch in to.

MegaGross should be a GSI to Latias (not Latios) as it beats even hp fire variants 1v1 so long as its megad.

Not sure what's holding Slowbro and mew back from being GSIs to Lopunny. Celebi too.

Mega Slowbro is a GSI to Luke unless you're counting NP sets, which are pretty mediocre tbh

That's all I caught for A-K. Wil go over the rest later.

TPP

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Head TD
Hey, this is an amazing resource and I wanna say Thanks for having it.

I think Tyranitar and Sylveon can be GSI to Mega Manectric. Sylveon eats up special attacks like Chansey and Clefable can, and Tyranitar, with no bulk invested, takes about the same damage as SpD Heatran, since it switches in with its sand. Choice band sets can actually 1HKO Mega Manectric with Pursuit as they ignore the intimidate drop.

Also, I'm curious as to why Garchomp is NSI for Scizor, Mega Scizor and Mega Pinsir. It might've been because Tank Chomp wasn't a thing back in XY, but otherwise I think it could be SSI for Pinsir, and potentially GSI for Scizor and Mega Scizor. Pinsir has no recovery, and needs a SD if it wants to 1HKO, so it'll lose at least 29% and potentially 58% to Tank Chomp. CB Scizor has to 3HKO with any attack, and Mega Scizor needs a SD to 2HKO. Tank Chomp can also 2HKO all 3 of them with Fire Blast.

252 SpA Mega Manectric Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Heatran: 105-124 (27.2 - 32.1%) -- 49.2% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Mega Manectric Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 102-120 (29.9 - 35.1%) -- 16.1% chance to 3HKO

252 SpA Mega Manectric Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 102-120 (25.2 - 29.7%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Tyranitar Crunch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Manectric: 265-313 (94.3 - 111.3%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO

252 SpA Mega Manectric Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 36 SpD Sylveon: 118-139 (29.9 - 35.2%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Choice Band Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 252 HP / 164+ Def Garchomp: 130-154 (30.9 - 36.6%) -- 65.1% chance to 3HKO

+2 252+ Atk Technician Mega Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 252 HP / 164+ Def Garchomp: 193-228 (45.9 - 54.2%) -- 50.8% chance to 2HKO

252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Return vs. 252 HP / 164+ Def Garchomp: 199-235 (47.3 - 55.9%) -- 80.9% chance to 2HKO

+2 252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Return vs. 252 HP / 164+ Def Garchomp: 399-469 (95 - 111.6%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO

Last edited:
Bisharp: move Terrakion to SSI. It can switch into knock off, SD, and sucker punch safely and only fears iron head.
Well...getting killed by a STAB move is generally where I draw the line for SSI, but seeing as how Terrakion switches in on literally everything else (and Bisharp's probably going to be using its other moves on the switch 90% of the time anyway), I guess I can make an exception here. However...

Garchomp could be moved to Dragalge SSI (sludge wave, t spikes, f blast)
...this one I'm not so sure about. One of the big perks of using Dragalge is the ability to drop stupidly powerful Draco Meteors everywhere, so I don't feel comfortable adding Garchomp as a switch-in.

MegaGross should be a GSI to Latias (not Latios) as it beats even hp fire variants 1v1 so long as its megad.
A little unsure because standard Latias has a chance to 2HKO with HP Fire whereas Mega Metagross can't guarantee a OHKO even with Ice Punch after Life Orb recoil, so there is a small chance of Mega Metagross losing if it tries to switch in. Probably small enough that I can add it without losing sleep though lol.

Not sure what's holding Slowbro and mew back from being GSIs to Lopunny. Celebi too.
The standard Celebi can be beaten if it switches into Power-Up Punch since a +1 Return will then 2HKO most of the time whereas Psychic fails to OHKO in return. Slowbro has enough physical bulk to escape that 2HKO though, and Mew has Will-O-Wisp, so I'll promote those two.

I agree with everything else. Thanks!

Hey, this is an amazing resource and I wanna say Thanks for having it.

I think Tyranitar and Sylveon can be GSI to Mega Manectric. Sylveon eats up special attacks like Chansey and Clefable can, and Tyranitar, with no bulk invested, takes about the same damage as SpD Heatran, since it switches in with its sand. Choice band sets can actually 1HKO Mega Manectric with Pursuit as they ignore the intimidate drop.

Also, I'm curious as to why Garchomp is NSI for Scizor, Mega Scizor and Mega Pinsir. It might've been because Tank Chomp wasn't a thing back in XY, but otherwise I think it could be SSI for Pinsir, and potentially GSI for Scizor and Mega Scizor. Pinsir has no recovery, and needs a SD if it wants to 1HKO, so it'll lose at least 29% and potentially 58% to Tank Chomp. CB Scizor has to 3HKO with any attack, and Mega Scizor needs a SD up to 2HKO. Tank Chomp can also 2HKO all 3 of them with Fire Blast.
[/hide]
Done and done. Thanks!

Also, very special thanks to D_what for the new amazing artwork in the OP! Check it out, he did a great job!

Quagsire can't switch in on either of Banded Azumarill's STAB moves, and it's currently listed in GSI. Would that make it a SSI?
252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Quagsire: 214-253 (54.3 - 64.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Quagsire: 190-225 (48.2 - 57.1%) -- 91.8% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Additionally wouldn't Sableye be considered a GSI for both Zams? To my knowledge Dazzling Gleam is as common as HP Fire.

Last edited:

SketchUp

Don't let your memes be dreams
Dazzling Gleam got around 15-20% usage while HP Fire only got 5-7%. I don't know what criteria Agent Gibbs uses for the usage of coverage moves to be relevant enough but I think it is fine as it is now.

Quagsire can't switch in on either of Banded Azumarill's STAB moves, and it's currently listed in GSI. Would that make it a SSI?
252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Quagsire: 214-253 (54.3 - 64.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Quagsire: 190-225 (48.2 - 57.1%) -- 91.8% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Additionally wouldn't Sableye be considered a GSI for both Zams? to my knowledge Dazzling Gleam is as common as HP Fire.
Good point on Azumarill, Quagsire has been moved. As for Sableye, I just looked up the 1825 moveset stats and Dazzling Gleam was used around 11% of the time whereas HP Fire wasn't listed. However, HP Fire is listed as a primary slash on the revenge killer set, so I guess it's relevant enough to include. Rather than add Sableye to GSI, I just dropped Mega Scizor to SSI instead. Thanks!

SketchUp

Don't let your memes be dreams
In other stats (1695 and suspect) HP Fire was only around 5% where Dazzling Gleam was around 18% and I don't think 5% is relevant enough to be considered a shaky switchin.

232 SpA Mega Gardevoir Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 240 SpD Filter Mega Aggron: 213-252 (61.9 - 73.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Remove this from GSI

252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Return vs. 248 HP / 136+ Def Mandibuzz: 190-225 (44.9 - 53.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Return vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Mandibuzz: 172-204 (40.6 - 48.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
Also SSI instead of GSI

Same with Gyara against Medicham or max defensive Impish Gyarados is a thing
-1 252+ Atk Pure Power Mega Medicham High Jump Kick vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Gyarados: 156-185 (39.6 - 47%) -- 96.9% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
-1 252+ Atk Pure Power Mega Medicham Zen Headbutt vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Gyarados: 195-229 (49.6 - 58.2%) -- 66% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Yeah I didn't look at the usage I'm just familiar with the dex analyses. Your call on all this Gibbs as it is your thread after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)