Unpopular opinions

Well, there's always a demand for somebody who can see both sides.

I never played Colo/XD, but I want to. It's as close to a main-series game as has ever existed for a console, and the Doubles play, limited selection, and much harder level curve seem great for people tired of the same old story. Heck, Gen III was great for story--we got this, Mystery Dungeon Rescue Team where you had to save the world and got run out of town for a stretch, and even in the main series we got our first villains with a goal other than just making cash through exploiting Pokemon. Colo, for its part, is certainly a much different experience both from the main series (limited team selection, Shadow mons) and from other side games (its relative closeness to the main series). Oh, and the music? Pyrite Town is freaking wonderful. Smooth jazz in Pokemon? Sign me up!

I will say that, from my observations (correct me if I'm wrong), having the same, limited selection would really hurt the replay value, although the chaotic randomness of the RNG means the game certainly retains some of it. So I can certainly see why some wouldn't be so happy. (Although let's be fair here: the main series has replay value issues of its own, stemming from that one save file you get. If you want to play through the region again, hope you're willing to dump every mon you care about into the Bank en masse before you delete the entire file.)

antemortem

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Socialization Head
I never played Colo/XD, but I want to. It's as close to a main-series game as has ever existed for a console, and the Doubles play, limited selection, and much harder level curve seem great for people tired of the same old story.
the level curve wasn't the only thing that added to difficulty, because i remember fighting Dakim and his Entei level 30/40 something and thinking it was practically unbeatable. :/ the underground was also hard as fuck, honestly the whole game had a really high difficulty... XD was no different. did anyone actually beat Snapple or Lovrina on their first try? :|

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
the level curve wasn't the only thing that added to difficulty, because i remember fighting Dakim and his Entei level 30/40 something and thinking it was practically unbeatable. :/ the underground was also hard as fuck, honestly the whole game had a really high difficulty... XD was no different. did anyone actually beat Snapple or Lovrina on their first try? :|
Yes. I also remember beating Dakim and catching Entei in the first go-around.

I don't really like Free For Alls. The way Multis are set up it just doesn't work out to me because you're still technically on someone else's side; if you take out the opposing two before you can take out your 'ally' for instance then there's no actual winner.

I don't really like Free For Alls. The way Multis are set up it just doesn't work out to me because you're still technically on someone else's side; if you take out the opposing two before you can take out your 'ally' for instance then there's no actual winner.
I just see that as an example of "not playing the way you're supposed to" which is something I have always loved to do in video games, particularly in multiplayer applications.

I just see that as an example of "not playing the way you're supposed to" which is something I have always loved to do in video games, particularly in multiplayer applications.
That's true and I appreciate that; it's just I personally prefer it when things like this work out exactly; hence a problem like that which I view as major is too hindering for me to get into it.

Are Showdown opinions allowed I just thought? Because this one has been bugging me. In the games you are able to do Protect at least twice in a row... Showdown it almost always fails, it has only worked for me once. The rage moments when Gengar can't do his amazing strat.

Are Showdown opinions allowed I just thought? Because this one has been bugging me. In the games you are able to do Protect at least twice in a row... Showdown it almost always fails, it has only worked for me once. The rage moments when Gengar can't do his amazing strat.
Showdown is programmed to match the game mechanics exactly. This includes the chance to get Protect twice in a row; you must have had some amazing luck in-game if you always got it twice in a row because that's not guaranteed to happen. There's only a 50% (well... 49.9998%) chance to get Protect twice in a row.

Oh, an unpopular Showdown opinion? How about "the Showdown playerbase, particularly at the low end of the ladder, has always treated me with the utmost respect during matches?" ;)

I've been saying there needs to be a proper Free-for-All since, well, since Pokémon Stadium. I was disappointed with how the team battles worked in that game (though to be honest, it is more of a true tag team battle than anything I've seen outside of the Yu-Gi-Oh! Tag Force series). I was again disappointed in Gen IV when I discovered Multi-battles were just a more annoying form of Double Battles.

Oh, an unpopular Showdown opinion? How about "the Showdown playerbase, particularly at the low end of the ladder, has always treated me with the utmost respect during matches?" ;)
Honestly, at least for me, I rarely have serious problems with the people on the low end of the ladder (where I live since I mostly use Showdown for lower tiers, testing a team before I build it, and fun battles). I tend to have that luck in general. Hell, only twice have I ever had trouble on Xbox Live, both times on Left 4 Dead and both times I won in the end (don't teebag me while I am still alive. You WILL get shot.)
I have had some problems from time to time including this guy going on this racist rant and cussing me out despite WINNING.

Last edited:
They seemed to change it since GSC. Even in the games now it seems to not succeed as often as it used to.

Xen

is a Community Leaderis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Wi-Fi Leader
^ On a similar note to this, I feel like some of the luck-based items such as Quick Claw and King's Rock shouldn't exist. Most competitive players frown upon these items in the first place, and as far as in-game NPCs go, the untimely activation of such items can, and usually will, cause a matchup to become ridiculously trivial. People whine about evasion on a daily basis, but a Double Team spammer is more manageable since it requires several turns to set up and is not a sure-fire strategy; these items can completely shift the momentum of the match in a single turn, and more often than not, you can't do jack about it. When you're playing through the Battle Tower in Emerald, and your perfect IV/EVd Latios dies to a Feebas's Mirror Coat over an untimely activation of Focus Band, you know these items are not quite balanced.

Focus Band had a MUCH higher rate of activation before the invention of the Focus Sash. Thanks to Stadium 2, I thought it was 100% activation the way it seemed to always work.

I also love King's Rock if only because Cinccino is the BEST user of it and it's like the main Pokemon to use with it thanks to speed and Skill Link.

I also love King's Rock if only because Cinccino is the BEST user of it and it's like the main Pokemon to use with it thanks to speed and Skill Link.
You reminded me of the fun times I had on the ladder during Gen 5 where I trolled people using Skill Link King's Rock Cloyster.

Not to mention that in-game, at least, Double Team Spam can be beaten with perfect accuracy moves. There's no beating the almighty Quick Claw, however, since it supersedes even priority.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 7)